Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Can't remember if I told you, but Oz and I are going on an Eastern Seaboard cruise in October........it is a 14 day cruise to all the Eastern Provinces and States. It starts in Quebec City and ends in Fort Lauderdale.

Our two cruises next year are to/from Europe. One includes the Caribbean on the way back from Europe. So we will have a "taste" of everything.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Wow, your future cruises sound absolutely fabulous!

Sunshine426

I am happy to read that your husband Rich is doing well. With Roz often wondering out loud on here how he is doing, I am sure we all wonder along with her, so thanks for letting us know. :)

I'm sure the puppies are a real tonic for you both! What a great job you do.

Fairbourne, because of this wonderful thread, Sunshine, Brenda and I got a chance to cruise together. She was my amazing "right arm" and kept the masses away so Brenny and I could keep walking the promenade deck without having to stop at every asked question about how I got Brenny on the ship and what does she do! She spent a lot of time sitting on the floor, in the cabin, comforting and loving my beautiful Brenda.

Good Morning to all of my friends. Both four footed and two footed and those on wheels. Just spent a lovely hour catching up on the world. Roz, I am glad Brenny is feeling better. Aunty Sunshine wishes she could come give her snuggles.

Life has had so many challenges for Rich and myself this past year. He is now one year post transplant and is a "lung transplant survivor". Love that title and well earned if I do say so myself.

While we are ever grateful for this life saving surgery it has had some significant repercussions. Rich decided he needed to retire from the work force and chose his transplant birthday for the day of retirement. He is slowly regaining his strength after 6 months of one infection after another. His weight dropped to 125 lbs and he is 5'11". I keep telling him he needs to drink a shot glass of olive oil every day. Maybe I just need to take him on a cruise instead....

The good news is we are becoming more active with our service dogs in training and think another foster pup might be in our future soon. I think often of Crackers, Cooler and Mackey.

We have been bringing home some of the young pups for a few nights every week They get introduced to the house, an older dog, wheelchairs, and just home living. We take them to the clinic for lab draws. So cute with their little vests on riding on Rich's lap on the wheelchair.

Cindy and Roz...that New England Cruise looks mighty tempting...

Sunshine, We couldn't be happier that Rich is finally on the mend. You two have been through so much, we hope this is the just the beginning of a long happy life together.

Cindy

I'm going on this cruise with another CCI Graduate and her Service Dog. My SIL will be joining me next April. I'm looking forward to cruising with another dog.

I can't believe how time does fly so swiftly...is it the age thing? What is going on? I'm so glad you have a cruise right after mine...it always gives us something to look forward to!!!! ;)

It will be fun to cruise with another dog.

And it's the age thing. :(

Do you guys remember Jocko and his "self trained" Service Dog [German Shepard?]

He's trying to create a stir with the Veteran's Administration. They do not want to allow any Service Dogs into Veteran Hospital's, offices, etc. unless they have been formally trained by an accredited organization and he's trying to get a petition to allow even "self-trained" dogs into public buildings. He believes they should have the same priviledges as formally trained dogs have through the DOJ and ADA.

I believe Jocko's dog had some minor issues with lunging at either people or other animals. I don't remember.

Sandy is a funny dog. 9 years old and going strong. The last year has been hard on her as well. She was always so happy when we were able to take her to the hospital to visit " her dad". She is really glued to his side now that he his home. She usually gives me a "seriously, more puppies" look when I bring home the pups. On the other hand Mackey, Cooler and Crackers all had an impact on their lives. So thankful to belong to the world of service dogs and their training. Has helped me stay strong.:)

Thank goodness for our dogs......They are life savers...true life savers!!!!

Do you guys remember Jocko and his "self trained" Service Dog [German Shepard?]

He's trying to create a stir with the Veteran's Administration. They do not want to allow any Service Dogs into Veteran Hospital's, offices, etc. unless they have been formally trained by an accredited organization and he's trying to get a petition to allow even "self-trained" dogs into public buildings. He believes they should have the same priviledges as formally trained dogs have through the DOJ and ADA.

I believe Jocko's dog had some minor issues with lunging at either people or other animals. I don't remember.

The dog did have some issues. Personally I am not one for self training. But thats my opinion.

Cindy, you were the first one on Page 500 of our thread!!!!! Do you believe the hits and the pages..we must have hit some kind of record on Cruise Critic!

500 pages, nearly 10,000 posts and over 500,000 views! :D

Thank you Roz for starting this informative, entertaining, heart-warming and yes, at times heart-breaking thread, but every time I read this I always feel warmth and friendship emanating from each and every one of you. That comes from people who really care about others, and although most of us do not "know" each other, what a great bunch we are! ;):D

The absolute bonus to all this - we have our very special four legged pals to share our lives.

:eek: You called Roz a ding dong!!!! I agree! LOL

Snicker, snicker, tee hee! :D

Fairbourne: Usually once we get on a roll it rolls for awhile and it has be awhile since we have been on a roll! LOL.

I got the cutest little name ID tags for Jezzy Lou. I don't remember (No age jokes) BOL! if I put it on here. They look like flattened bottle caps. Then they have a solid colored background (your choice of color) and your choice of inscription. Covered by a clear circle. It has a small ring on top and I got some cute little clips from the hardware store, so I can change them from collar to collar. I got 3 of them and with shipping it only cost me $8.25, then I bought the clips. I got 6 (and they are different colors) clips for $4.79. They are actually on a key chain. I will try and take a picture of them and post it? Haven't done it in so long, don't know if I can remember how.

Everyone have a great day. School starts tomorrow and I have a long term sub position, so that is good after not working all summer.

500 pages, nearly 10,000 posts and over 500,000 views! :D

Thank you Roz for starting this informative, entertaining, heart-warming and yes, at times heart-breaking thread, but every time I read this I always feel warmth and friendship emanating from each and every one of you. That comes from people who really care about others, and although most of us do not "know" each other, what a great bunch we are! ;):D

The absolute bonus to all this - we have our very special four legged pals to share our lives.

You are so welcome! It has given me much more than you'll ever know! Wait, I take that back, I think you do know!

Also, we need to thank the moderator's for keeping up with us and for doing an amazing job!

And, you are so right......what my dogs have given to me over the years can't be replaced or counted in pages!!!! ;)

I have to agree with Cindy.

As much as I'm all for managing your dog to behave well in public or at home......I'm not so sure how effective the "self-trained" dog really is! I've been witness to some very poor behavior from the self-trained dog! And, I've yet to see a CCI dog attack or lunge at another dog or person!!!!

Snicker, snicker, tee hee! :D

Fairbourne: Usually once we get on a roll it rolls for awhile and it has be awhile since we have been on a roll! LOL.

I got the cutest little name ID tags for Jezzy Lou. I don't remember (No age jokes) BOL! if I put it on here. They look like flattened bottle caps. Then they have a solid colored background (your choice of color) and your choice of inscription. Covered by a clear circle. It has a small ring on top and I got some cute little clips from the hardware store, so I can change them from collar to collar. I got 3 of them and with shipping it only cost me $8.25, then I bought the clips. I got 6 (and they are different colors) clips for $4.79. They are actually on a key chain. I will try and take a picture of them and post it? Haven't done it in so long, don't know if I can remember how.

Everyone have a great day. School starts tomorrow and I have a long term sub position, so that is good after not working all summer.

The ID tags sound really cute.....if you can, please sent a picture.

Good luck with your new position, maybe it means there's a cruise in your future!