Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!! On a cruise Brenda is the height of "perfection!"

Although, there are very few tree roots/sticks or rocks to be had onboard.... (OMG, now that I think about it, on the Oosterdam, there was a tree, in a lovely china pot, with some kind of material around it and she was very interested in it!) I didn't think much about it then...but, I will on future cruises! :cool:

Boy, you guys, we could all write our own books about our "fur-partners" and their antics.

Look out John Grogan! :D

Ok, here's another one. We had an old wheelbarrow with wooden handles. Well of course the handles got weathered and rough. So, in my infamate (sp) wisdom I took some of hubby's old knee socks and put them on the handles. Reno would go out there for a long time trying to pull the socks off. Of course the rough wood prevented him from doing it, but he gave it a galant effort. Growling and pulling with his big yellow butt up in the air. :)I probably have pictures of it somewhere. Can't get my new printer to scan pictures to the computer. Or let me refrase that, I don't know how to get them to scan to computer. I hit scan, it scans and I don't know where it goes!

Ok, here's another one. We had an old wheelbarrow with wooden handles. Well of course the handles got weathered and rough. So, in my infamate (sp) wisdom I took some of hubby's old knee socks and put them on the handles. Reno would go out there for a long time trying to pull the socks off. Of course the rough wood prevented him from doing it, but he gave it a galant effort. Growling and pulling with his big yellow butt up in the air. :)I probably have pictures of it somewhere. Can't get my new printer to scan pictures to the computer. Or let me refrase that, I don't know how to get them to scan to computer. I hit scan, it scans and I don't know where it goes!

Nancy, what a visual....thanks for sharing....HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Roz, fix some white rice and give that to Brenny. I would hold off on her food and just give her rice until the runs stop. Should be soon after the rice. If she won't eat just the rice make a mixture of 1/2 rice and 1/2 her food. She should be good to go soon. :cool:

Nancy, I have gone to Alaska but mostly Mexico. I am like you, anyday cruising is a good day. I don't care what ports, and often I don't get off. Just like not having the house, laundry and meals:p

Darcie: Good idea, about the rice. I don't think I'll need it. But, I'll keep it in mind. She's not had a "pooh" today, at all. She's playful and she ate her dinner (kibble only-one cup.)

She's been drinking water and sleeping a lot! We'll see how the evening and tomorrow goes.

Thanks for the help. Truly, thank you!!!!! :)

I so agree about not getting off the ship......sometimes, it's all about the ship and not the ports. I love that! My own floating hotel.....and, when everybody gets off, in port.....It's so vacant...no lines, no crowds......I love it!!!!!

hi all

ok nancy and ROZ it sounds like nov dec is a good month far enough away that everyone can save a little doe for the cruise i will do my homework and check it out

ROZ i am going to go to guide doh school that friday Denver is having x rays and we r working him to see whats going on maybe a harness adjustment or something is all thtat he needs ( he been slowing ALOT ) anyways i would say bec i have to take ACESS ( ugg) it will be later ... what time do you and your husband usually do dinner??? i can do anytime after id say 5 ish ..... i can call acess and see what i can get and let you know???

ok the scoop on runny poop LOL I used to work as a vet tech before my eyesight went but please do not take any of my advice as medical info just what i know works and you can try it if your concerned always consult your vet first !!!!

for runny poop you can give 1 immodum AD 1 x daily and feed chicken ( boiled 1 breast ) and rice ( cup for cup so if your dog eats 2 cups dry feed 2 cups rice plus some chicken ) or you can do cottage cheese instead of chicken ... try it for a day or two it should help ... or you can wait it out

if your concerned with dehydration add a little chicken broth to their drinking water they will most likely like the taste of the water and drink it ... be sure they do not over drink though .... that could cause worse tummy issues

hope it helps and i will get back to everyone on a dev or nov cruise any cruise line suggestions? i know carnival is cheap but i have never sailed with them and havent herd the best things but i know everyone has an opinion id like to hear what you all have to say

cari and Denver

Cari and Denver,

This is just my opinion, and I am not even sure I could go (but would certainly try).

I really like Princess. Especially around the holidays I would never do Carnival again. The kids were wild, everywhere, no supervision, they even wrote graffitti in the elevators and ran up and down the cabin hallways screaming. I love children but this was totally out of control. There are so other threads here about going during school breaks and what to watch out for - I just wish I had listened:(

So, I would vote for Princess, costs are very much the same, better service, cleaner, more relaxing, food is much better and during the schoold breaks, the kids that go behave appropriately and are fun.

Again, just my opinion, and it really does make a difference what you want out of the cruise. We are not "party animals".

If there are a number of SD going, it might be worth booking through a TA that specializes in SD's. They can meet any online price but take care of all the paperwork and other issues that might arise (like making an area available for off leash play time).

yes this is why i asked about carnival ... i herd they r bad bad bad . I would do princess again and since alot of us have sailed with princess before it may be good everyone kinda knows what to expect. I know of 1 agent who does cruises for SDs and another one who i have herd of who does all the stuff for guide dogs but have never used them .... i think your right it is best to have an agent handle it all to relieve the person who is setting it up , they can call the agent if they have issues . i know nothing about how it woud work and how many rooms to gold etc .... or if i just say this is the cruise and whoever wants to go book it ???? any suggestions would be good ... i just dont want CAT LITTER again from princess LOL LOL LOL

cari and Denver

November or early December could work for us, and a Mexican Riveria cruise was the next thing on our cruise list. We are on the east coast, but travel is not an issue for us. Remeber I am not a service dog recepient, but have them in my house quite often during training.

Just wanted to wish everyone and their furry friends a Happy and Healthy New Year!! We will be celebrating in 3 days aboard the Noordam. Our first 10 day cruise, hope we can handle the 3 extra days. Hmmmm I think we will be able to do that. Hopefully we will make it to midnight tonight. Love to all

Cindy & John

Edited by rangeley

hi all

ok nancy and ROZ it sounds like nov dec is a good month far enough away that everyone can save a little doe for the cruise i will do my homework and check it out

ROZ i am going to go to guide doh school that friday Denver is having x rays and we r working him to see whats going on maybe a harness adjustment or something is all thtat he needs ( he been slowing ALOT ) anyways i would say bec i have to take ACESS ( ugg) it will be later ... what time do you and your husband usually do dinner??? i can do anytime after id say 5 ish ..... i can call acess and see what i can get and let you know???

ok the scoop on runny poop LOL I used to work as a vet tech before my eyesight went but please do not take any of my advice as medical info just what i know works and you can try it if your concerned always consult your vet first !!!!

for runny poop you can give 1 immodum AD 1 x daily and feed chicken ( boiled 1 breast ) and rice ( cup for cup so if your dog eats 2 cups dry feed 2 cups rice plus some chicken ) or you can do cottage cheese instead of chicken ... try it for a day or two it should help ... or you can wait it out

if your concerned with dehydration add a little chicken broth to their drinking water they will most likely like the taste of the water and drink it ... be sure they do not over drink though .... that could cause worse tummy issues

hope it helps and i will get back to everyone on a dev or nov cruise any cruise line suggestions? i know carnival is cheap but i have never sailed with them and havent herd the best things but i know everyone has an opinion id like to hear what you all have to say

cari and Denver

Cari: Thank you for the wonderful information on the "poop!" She's feeling so much better today....Eating, sleeping, drinking and no more "running!" Amazing, how it worked it's way out of her system....I'm so thankful I didn't have to do anything too invasive.

Now, back to more fun topics :p.....Cindy and John, have a fabulous cruise....I love the idea of the extra days.....

I want to use my favorite TA, he is so helpful, his prices are very good (and, I'm a careful shopper) and, we've NEVER had a problem with getting Brenda's needs met (except for an occasional mis-step) once we've boarded, with the litter and the location of the "box!" Not because of anything the TA did or did not do.

I will keep on top of Princess Special Needs Department prior to our cruise, in April, and, hopefully, by the time we cruise again in November or December (with you guys), they will have it down pat!!!!!!!

My preferences:

Cruiseline: Princess

Month: November or early December (mid-December or Holiday time is too expensive)

Suggestion: Let's decide on a date. Let's do some research and come-up with the best prices.

I really like my TA.....I'll do some research and let you all know what I find.......

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Mornin' all;

Early December is a great time. The first or second week is traditionally the best prices, also. We have never cruised Princess, but have always wanted to. We have cruised Carnival only because the prices are so much lower. We can get military rate and 55+ rates through them that are hard to pass up. The last cruise we went on was $399 pp for a balcony. With that all said, we have been lucky and not had the wild children. I think its because of the time of year we cruise. We usually have the aft pool almost to our selves. The food has come along way. I have to say the last time we cruise RCL, the food was just ok. We also had a group of teenage kids that we not chaperoned very well. They had all been drinking and not acting very appropriate. I think it can happen on any line.

All that said, I also did some preliminary pricing. Hope you don't mind Cari! :o

12/5 Princess i/s: $550 o/v: $640 b: $860

Book now $75 obc and past guest get $50 pp discount

12/6 RCCL (Mariner of the seas)

i/s: $500 o/v: $749 b: $849

Pre-paid gratuities for 2 ($140 unless it goes up to $12 pp)

Didn't price Carnival yet, it looks like it is a no go anyway. Maybe for kicks and giggles I will at least get prices.

Be back soon.

Nancy

Also, forgot, the three balcony rooms available on RCL are on the aft! One is a corner room! :D

Ok, here is Carnival pricing;

12/6 Splendor 7 days Long Beach

i/s $519 military $ 579 regular (port holes)

o/v $515 military $ 649 regular

b $751 military $ 819 guar.

12/5 Spirit 8 days San Diego

i/s $542 mil. $ 629 guar.

o/v $686 mil. $ N/a

b $814 mil. $849 guar.

I know everyone doesn't qualify for the military rate. This is just for comparison.

Have to give computer up for now. I will keep checking pricing also. I don't care who it is booked through as long as we get the best rate! :D

Have a great NEW YEAR. Stay safe. We will be staying home. Reno does not like fireworks in any shape and they already started firing them off last night. Our little town in its infamous wisdom have fireworks legal in the city limits. Even though we are out in the country, we still have been annexed into the city! :eek:

Nancy

Allow me to interrupt this thread with a New Year's greeting to all of you and especially to your canine heroes.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=873034&g2_serialNumber=3

Walt, thank you so much and Happy New Year to you and your "civilian" Furbabies......

Cari: You name the time, I was just giving you the early times because I thought that's what you preferred. Actually, any time you would like will suit us. Just tell me when and we'll be there! Now that we got rid of the "Nasty Manager" they're so welcoming to us!

Let me know!

Mornin' all;

Early December is a great time. The first or second week is traditionally the best prices, also. We have never cruised Princess, but have always wanted to. We have cruised Carnival only because the prices are so much lower. We can get military rate and 55+ rates through them that are hard to pass up. The last cruise we went on was $399 pp for a balcony. With that all said, we have been lucky and not had the wild children. I think its because of the time of year we cruise. We usually have the aft pool almost to our selves. The food has come along way. I have to say the last time we cruise RCL, the food was just ok. We also had a group of teenage kids that we not chaperoned very well. They had all been drinking and not acting very appropriate. I think it can happen on any line.

All that said, I also did some preliminary pricing. Hope you don't mind Cari! :o

12/5 Princess i/s: $550 o/v: $640 b: $860

Book now $75 obc and past guest get $50 pp discount

12/6 RCCL (Mariner of the seas)

i/s: $500 o/v: $749 b: $849

Pre-paid gratuities for 2 ($140 unless it goes up to $12 pp)

Didn't price Carnival yet, it looks like it is a no go anyway. Maybe for kicks and giggles I will at least get prices.

Be back soon.

Nancy

Through my favorite TA /Agency here is what I found:

Sapphire Princess leaving on: Nov. 7, Nov. 14, Nov. 21, Nov. 28, Dec. 5th and Dec. 12th (any December dates after the 12th are doubled in price).

Nov. 7th and 14th start at $597 pp (inside cabin) - This just gives you a starting point, you can go up from there.

Nov. 21st starts at $747 pp

Nov. 28th starts at $547 pp

Dec. 5th starts at $550 pp

Dec 12th starts at $600 pp

:)****My preference is December 5th.....Let me know if that works for you guys. We like a certain cabin and I'd like to put in my deposit as soon as you guys decide. :)

I like December because the weather is not as hot and humid, it's just perfect and the Xmas decorations should be up (it makes the ship so pretty!)

December 5 works for us too. I'm excited about getting to go on Princess! We have wanted to forever. Just never fit in. The prices are right in there, shouldn't be a problem. Do our Carnival cruises act as past guest on Princess? I thought I read that somewhere. We love the aft of the ship. I think I saw some of there cabins back there available. Will wait and see what everyone wants to do!

I'm excited to get to meet your guys and of course the furbabies! :D:p:)

The last cruise we went on was $399 pp for a balcony. With that all said, we have been lucky and not had the wild children. I think its because of the time of year we cruise. We usually have the aft pool almost to our selves. We also had a group of teenage kids that we not chaperoned very well. They had all been drinking and not acting very appropriate. I think it can happen on any line.

Nancy

It is so funny that people worry about the dogs behavior on ships and they are much better trained then some kids. Of course you are right, you can get rotten kids, dogs, cruisers on any line.

I sent an email to thank the TA that allowed Bailey to join their SD group for play time on our last cruise. Here is her response:

"How nice to hear from you.

I want to thank you as well. We have been mainly cruising with guide dogs for the visually impaired and sailing with you and Bailey was indeed not only a treat, but a learning experience as well.

Princess does a great job helping us help all the dog teams. Will be working with them to plan our next cruises and will keep you informed. I have added your name and address to our mailing list and our email list.

I do look forward to seeing you again soon on the high seas. "

So a couple of things I was thinking...

1) I haven't personally used this TA but was very impressed with the amount of work and coordination she did to make the cruise easier for her clients. I want to respect the 'no advertising' rule of the boards so if you send me a personal email (andar273@hotmail.com) requesting the info I will send it to you.

2) Since she does 2 or more SD cruises a year, we may just want to join one she is organizing. In the last cruise she had someone from Scotland that came booked with her for the SD.

3) The prices at this point still seem pretty high for the Mexico Run. I just did a quick check on two of my favorite sights and saw BALCONYs for $700 dollar range on both Holland and Princess in early December. Princess Sapphire inside Dec. 5th was $509 with 75.00 OBC so that really puts it at the $434 (if my math is right).

Lots of fun to look at cruises today when it is so cold and foggy where I live:)

Edited by Andar

I talked to hubby! He said, "Book it Daniel"! WooHoo!!!!!:D

So, as soon as we get everything settled and organized, we are booking.

I am so looking forward to this. Haven't been on a cruise since 11/06. It will be 3 years by then. Too long. Travis will have a blast and learning experience all in one.

Nancy