Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Has anyone have any experience with MSC out of FL ? Have requested a relief box on deck and advised they only use a relief PAD. Do not know if for use inside or out? Is this like a small puppy training pad? Dog has never been exposed to one and really don't want to confuse him, and what is he won't use it? He is very well trained with zero accidents in past 5 yrs. Am I out of line or is this ridiculous to ask MSC if I can supply own relief station as thinking of using a small inflatable Kidde pool with mulch? If not will cancel. My world is getting smaller as flying to other ports is now to difficult. Itineraries are limited with most which include one or more ports requiring a Rabies Titer test which I will not subject him to in which even though you have a current Rabies vac also requires another one after the test. Test is only valid for three months. Info from several sites seem to list different entry requirements. Your input will be much appreciated.

They advised you that they only us "relief pads?" I find that unacceptable. You need to speak directly to their "Special Access Dept." and let them know that you want the box to be filled with mulch. They can do it. Also, you need them to inform you of where they intend to place the box. You will want the box to be placed as close to your cabin as possible. I insist that the box be placed in a stairwell near my cabin.

I am able to open the "extremely heavy" door. If I were in a wheelchair this location would not be the best. Before I had the Crown Princess move the box, it was in a crew closet, down the hall from our cabin. If I were in a wheelchair it would be a good place but since I'm capable of manipulating the door and step, I really like the stairwell.

As far as the titer testing is concerned, there are some islands that insist on it. I won't not take my dog off the ship in these islands because I will not allow my dog to be overly immunized or put through unnecessary testing. I bring a note from my dogs Vet about my dogs immunizations being current and I stay onboard when need be. If you're traveling with others and are able to go into port without your dog for short periods, you may leave him/her behind for a brief visit to the port that's making too many demands.

I was able to avoid the very early inspection of my dog by Immigration Officers, in Mexico, by telling the Purser's Desk that I would NOT be getting off the ship in any Mexican Ports so my early inspection was not necessary. They were very happy and so was I.

Oh Nancy - can you feel the excitement from over there??? I don't know how I can wait ....!!! The DH has got her little puppy bed in place, I just need to fill it with a snuggly blanket, a few toys are waiting, and lots of love!

Nancy, she has a lovely name .... Just let me tell you it's a bit unusual, warm, happy, could well be connected to a cruise ship - there's a couple of clues in there, but I'm going to keep you in suspense until little miss xxxxxxxxxx arrives! ;):D :p

She will be presented to you all on Tuesday .... Only 4 more sleeps - better make the most of them!!!

DKD - hope Ocho's day went well - any photos??:)

Well then, I guess I will just have to wait. Tap, tap, tap! LOL. :D

Well then, I guess I will just have to wait. Tap, tap, tap! LOL. :D

Nancy, are you still tapping??? LOL! :D

Actually I couldn't believe my eyes this morning, there is a thread on this Forum and her name is there for all to see - it was just below our thread before I posted this and moved it all up! So, it wouldn't take much to check dates!!! Clue - last post on that thread, just before your last post Nancy!

Anyway, tomorrow is Baby Dog Day when Missy XXXXX arrives in the afternoon! I think we've got everything ready. (We're calling her Baby Dog as every time we say Puppy, Poppy gives us a "Wot!" look!)

Roll on tomorrow! :D

Well let's see. I see Stacy and I see Ruth? Will have to wait for confirmation! Yes, still tap, tap, tapping! :D

Ha ha ha !!!

Sorry Nancy! It is not a girl's name but here's another clue, it's not Alaska either!!! Think warm, small, Dutch ............ Oh happy days .... Baby dog is on her way! :D

Well here is Ocho's graduation picture. His furever family is on the right. The ugly guy behind the cute kid on the left is me. My wife and Orson are there too.

OchoGraduation.jpg

Oh my my my! What a wonderful photo .... What a handsome chap he is too, no not you DKD! :p:D. Brilliant! :D

DKD, You must be so thrilled. Ocho has made an honest man out of you. It must feel so rewarding to know that you were able to do this for another.

Did Ocho recognize you and did he want some time with you? I certainly give these dogs big Kudo's for how they're able to move on and become attached and devoted to one family after another. Their world seems so complicated but actually it's all quite simple.....Love, patience, understanding.......that's about the size of it!

Again congratulations on Ocho's Graduation & on your achievement.

Fairbourne: Big Congrats. to you and Aruba. Enjoy your first day with her.

Ok, Fairbourne, silence! Oh who am I kidding. I stopped tapping, but now I am screaming Hip!Hip! Hooray, cannot wait to meet Ms. Aruba! Now quieting down. :p

Dkd: What a great picture of ALL of you. Those are some handsome puppies. Oh, and the humans too! :D

Nancy, you were just expressing what all the rest of us were thinking. Anxious to see Aruba and get to hear/read all the fun stories...

DKD, congratulations on Ocho's successful graduation! We love the picture of both of Ocho's families.

Roz, I noticed that you are scheduled for the Golden Princess in April 2015. Is this your extra long cruise at last?

Hope everybody had a good Monday.

Beckie

Hi everyone!

Well today is THE day! I'm tapping this morning Nancy! :p Fuffff as the dogs would say with a big sigh!!!

Everything is ready....... Only a couple of hours to wait now ....tap, tap, tap, tap, tap!!! ;):D

Right just off to flick the duster round again...... And check her bed .... You would think the Queen was coming!!! I think I'll just go and have a nice cup of tea! :eek:

DKD, You must be so thrilled. Ocho has made an honest man out of you. It must feel so rewarding to know that you were able to do this for another.

Did Ocho recognize you and did he want some time with you? I certainly give these dogs big Kudo's for how they're able to move on and become attached and devoted to one family after another. Their world seems so complicated but actually it's all quite simple.....Love, patience, understanding.......that's about the size of it!

Again congratulations on Ocho's Graduation & on your achievement.

Fairbourne: Big Congrats. to you and Aruba. Enjoy your first day with her.

Ocho did recognize us. He was very happy to see us. But once he saw his new family, he kept looking for them. That means he made a very good transition. We got to spend about an hour with him. It was all worth it.

Well everyone, here she is! Poppy and Max were as good as gold with her.

She's been here for 3 hours and has now fallen off the edge and is now snuggled up in her bed with Piggy, her toy from her temporary puppy walkers. She is 11 weeks old, with long legs, and of course that adorable puppy lab face that would melt the hardest of hearts. Max, who seems to have instantly taken on the role of foster dad, is lying by her crate and watching over her.

She's also met one of the cats, who, quite by mistake I'm sure, when we all bundled back in from a "busy" run, head butted her and then the look on his face, was OMD, that's not one of my dogs!!! He's very interested in her and she just sits and stares at him ... So hopefully that's good. She is already sitting on command (been with very experience puppy raisers for a few weeks), and most certainly knows her name!

Oh, and she's not adverse to a cuddle or two either!!! :D

image.jpg.4436bf9e30c7f6b6f2bf811f6a714980.jpg

Ocho did recognize us. He was very happy to see us. But once he saw his new family, he kept looking for them. That means he made a very good transition. We got to spend about an hour with him. It was all worth it.

DKD - "It was all worth it". :D:D:D:D:D

Well everyone, here she is! Poppy and Max were as good as gold with her.

She's been here for 3 hours and has now fallen off the edge and is now snuggled up in her bed with Piggy, her toy from her temporary puppy walkers. She is 11 weeks old, with long legs, and of course that adorable puppy lab face that would melt the hardest of hearts. Max, who seems to have instantly taken on the role of foster dad, is lying by her crate and watching over her.

She's also met one of the cats, who, quite by mistake I'm sure, when we all bundled back in from a "busy" run, head butted her and then the look on his face, was OMD, that's not one of my dogs!!! He's very interested in her and she just sits and stares at him ... So hopefully that's good. She is already sitting on command (been with very experience puppy raisers for a few weeks), and most certainly knows her name!

Oh, and she's not adverse to a cuddle or two either!!! :D

She is a real cutie!! Now the fun begins. Hopefully you have a group of puppy raisers near you for outings once she gets old enough. You are on your way to a very rewarding experience. Thank you for what you are doing!

DKD, what a great photo, and congratulations on Ocho's success. It must be very gratifying to meet the happy recipient.

Fairbourne, Miss Aruba is a heart-melter. Since I can't reach through the screen and cuddle that little sweetheart, I have to let you do it on my behalf, while I give my own girl a few pats.

It's great you are taking photos you can eventually give to her future partner. Wish I had some of Raylene at that age.

P.S. Piggy is as big as Aruba!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Nancy, you were just expressing what all the rest of us were thinking. Anxious to see Aruba and get to hear/read all the fun stories...

DKD, congratulations on Ocho's successful graduation! We love the picture of both of Ocho's families.

Roz, I noticed that you are scheduled for the Golden Princess in April 2015. Is this your extra long cruise at last?

Hope everybody had a good Monday.

Beckie

There were choices but I wanted a BIG ship so that Horton and I could go exploring and get lost! I've cruised smaller ships for long periods and on sea days you're about ready to pull your hair out from the closeness of it all!

I need a BIG ship like the Golden. It's only a 10 day cruise but until MaMa Roz retires from her job, I'm afraid it's about as long as I can get in April.

Awwww! Gives me tears!!!!

Now, go get busy and start packing for that cruise. Have fun. Relax and enjoy each other. You truly earned this one, my dear!