Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]I leave on Monday for a 10 day onboard the Golden Princess. I also bring 2 bags of Virbac C.E.T Chews to keep his teeth and gums clean and 2 bags of Rice Cakes [he gets two, his favorite treat before he goes off to bed in the evening!]

Horton has his Vet check today and the Vet will fill out the forms. I'll make 3 copies of it along with the receipt from the Vet, which shows his Vet visit and is more proof of any vaccines he received, weight, condition, etc., etc. I'll give one set to the folks at check-in, one to the Purser's Desk and I'll give one to the Immigration Officers in Mexico. I keep the originals to carry on me when we go into Port and have them handy if anyone asks about my dog, either in Port or when I'm re-boarding the ship.

Princess used to tell me that they MUST put the box on Deck 7 Aft and I had [U]no other choice[/U]. I asked them to please call their supervisor and the Hotel Manager and I insisted that the box be put in a stairwell [it's inside, out of the elements and away from other passengers.] There's lots of room, still allowing any emergency personal to use the stairwells, if necessary. They did put-up a little fuss but soon, after much verbiage from me, set the box up exactly where I asked!!! Princess now knows where I like the box and only once [onboard the Star] did I have any trouble with it's placement. ;)

Sometimes, you have to remain calm, make a very valid point and tell them what you want. I'm expecting to have to do this onboard the Carnival Miracle, in June. I haven't been onboard a Carnival ship in years......we'll see!!![/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Roz,

Have a wonderful time! Bon Voyage!! Hope you have smooth sailing on and off the ship. :)

Cindra

[quote name='tvaud']?...At least two of our ports will be charging us a fee for examining the dog prior to entry. Gee, and I thought the last cruise was tough! Can't wait to talk this one over with my vet...
Why can't this be an easier process?
Cindra[/QUOTE]

Good question!! And some USDA vets are much more knowledgable than others. I am learning more about paperwork with my second dog-accompanied cruise (and probably will each time.)

For example, I learned the other day that not all Form 7001s are alike. There is one with bi-lingual statements for Guatemala, but it's different than the bilingual statements on another 7001 for Mexico. That meant another trip to the USDA vet for the correct forms.

Meanwhile, since the end of December, North Carolina state USDA office no longer endorses the signed APHIS 7001 forms, and they just sent mine back un-signed and not stamped. NC service dog partners now have to mail ours by overnight service and endorsed in Albany, NY. Luckily, a very helpful vet on staff up there responded quickly to emails with a lot of explanation and the correct forms.

[B]OK....I finally did it. I just finished printing out all of the requirements for the ports for our Christmas cruise. Looks like only one port is a no-go for Pedro...St. Vincent. Well, sorry Vinny....no dog, no Yankee dollar in your pockets. Everywhere else is dog friendly...some more so than others. There will be a few extra hoops to jump through for Barbados, along with a higher fee for entry...grrr. There is also some specific for service dogs, but I can't find the link. I may have to email or call them about it. Maybe there is less of a fee or it's waived. That would be nice! One of the ports requires something 90 days prior, so I'm glad I am doing my research now.

For St. Martin/Maarten and Martinique, they require the very basics. Yeah!! Why can't they all be that easy???

Has anyone ever put together a data base for us that would make it easier to have access to the info we need for travel? Hmm..if not, maybe we should do it as a group project. Any feelings on this?

Cindra[/B] Edited by tvaud

OK....I finally did it. I just finished printing out all of the requirements for the ports for our Christmas cruise. Looks like only one port is a no-go for Pedro...St. Vincent. Well, sorry Vinny....no dog, no Yankee dollar in your pockets. Everywhere else is dog friendly...some more so than others. There will be a few extra hoops to jump through for Barbados, along with a higher fee for entry...grrr. There is also some specific for service dogs, but I can't find the link. I may have to email or call them about it. Maybe there is less of a fee or it's waived. That would be nice! One of the ports requires something 90 days prior, so I'm glad I am doing my research now.

For St. Martin/Maarten and Martinique, they require the very basics. Yeah!! Why can't they all be that easy???

Has anyone ever put together a data base for us that would make it easier to have access to the info we need for travel? Hmm..if not, maybe we should do it as a group project. Any feelings on this?

Cindra

I think you just awarded yourself a project! What a great idea. Maybe cruise critic could create a "stiki" or "wiki" or whatever they call it to put all this information in at the top of this thread.

There is that other thread running "cruise critic needs your help" - good idea to suggest over there?

It does take a lot of searching back through all the posts with all our chit chat! Especially when those dogs get chatting to one another! LOL!

Happy Easter everyone! Hope the Easter Bunny delivered lots of Easter eggs and chocolate! :D:D I'm about to indulge in a yummy chocolate egg and I am not sharing it with anyone - no matter how much the DH begs! LOL! just as well he can't do the Aruba puppy eyes! :rolleyes:

Edited by fairbourne

OK here we go a huge THANK YOU!! I am so overwhelmed it is not funny. I don't want anyone to have a pity party for me, but here is the situation. I am traveling with a son with Asperger's Autism and JRA, then the chronically ill daughter with a paralyzed stomach and POTS. so having one service dog was ok, but now I think we will have two service dogs if the other passes service dog training prior to our trip. This is the plan and here are my questions. We are trying to book a Carnival cruise Oct 17. It will be going to Half Moon Cay,St. Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. Where do I get the info on what I need? I got the three year rabies shot so do I have to get a one year rabies for those po4rts that don't accept the three year? Where do I get an international certificate? When I book an excursion, do I tell them I have a service dog also? Do they charge you? Hoovy uses mulch and is OK with it, not his favorite so if I can get sod, I will attempt it. I do not have any worries with Hoovy as he is such an AWESOME dog. Tess(coincidentally, is the name of President Hoover's wife, is a dog that we are fostering. Also a German Shepard and somebody chained her up and left her to starve. We took her last week to be evaluated as a service dog for my son and she passed inspection. She is now in training. In two weeks she has learned sit, shield, down and doesn't bark! I am sooo proud of her. They are part of the family ROZ, I totally get it, I just need to have some moments with my daughter. It has been a rough couple of years and we need this like no tomorrow. I want her to see she can experience everything even with her illness. We did a cruise with them in 2013 and it was the absolute best vacation ever! We were able to relax and she was able to go to her room when she wasn't feeling well and rest up. We have only had Hoovy since October, we still have a lot to learn. She also stresses out when he isn't with her so I thought this was a way to compromise but if you guys can help me get him on the ports with her, she will be over the moon and so will he! Thank for all the advice!

OK....I finally did it. I just finished printing out all of the requirements for the ports for our Christmas cruise. Looks like only one port is a no-go for Pedro...St. Vincent. Well, sorry Vinny....no dog, no Yankee dollar in your pockets. Everywhere else is dog friendly...some more so than others. There will be a few extra hoops to jump through for Barbados, along with a higher fee for entry...grrr. There is also some specific for service dogs, but I can't find the link. I may have to email or call them about it. Maybe there is less of a fee or it's waived. That would be nice! One of the ports requires something 90 days prior, so I'm glad I am doing my research now.

Cindra

Cindra, having a master database or spreadsheet of entry requirements for each country is a great idea. From my reading on this forum I don't think anyone has ever done it so far. Mind you, I am merely the mayor of Lurkerville. So I am not the be all and end all opinion. :) Not to mention I have only been on one cruise ever in my life and it didn't include my daughter's service dog Gibson.

Also have to say I can't wait for Roz & Horton to come back from their pending cruise with more exciting stories. So quiet around here when they sail.

Thanks,

Beckie

OK here we go a huge THANK YOU!! I am so overwhelmed it is not funny. I don't want anyone to have a pity party for me, but here is the situation. I am traveling with a son with Asperger's Autism and JRA, then the chronically ill daughter with a paralyzed stomach and POTS. so having one service dog was ok, but now I think we will have two service dogs if the other passes service dog training prior to our trip. This is the plan and here are my questions. We are trying to book a Carnival cruise Oct 17. It will be going to Half Moon Cay,St. Thomas, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk. Where do I get the info on what I need? I got the three year rabies shot so do I have to get a one year rabies for those po4rts that don't accept the three year? Where do I get an international certificate? When I book an excursion, do I tell them I have a service dog also? Do they charge you? Hoovy uses mulch and is OK with it, not his favorite so if I can get sod, I will attempt it. I do not have any worries with Hoovy as he is such an AWESOME dog. Tess(coincidentally, is the name of President Hoover's wife, is a dog that we are fostering. Also a German Shepard and somebody chained her up and left her to starve. We took her last week to be evaluated as a service dog for my son and she passed inspection. She is now in training. In two weeks she has learned sit, shield, down and doesn't bark! I am sooo proud of her. They are part of the family ROZ, I totally get it, I just need to have some moments with my daughter. It has been a rough couple of years and we need this like no tomorrow. I want her to see she can experience everything even with her illness. We did a cruise with them in 2013 and it was the absolute best vacation ever! We were able to relax and she was able to go to her room when she wasn't feeling well and rest up. We have only had Hoovy since October, we still have a lot to learn. She also stresses out when he isn't with her so I thought this was a way to compromise but if you guys can help me get him on the ports with her, she will be over the moon and so will he! Thank for all the advice!

Kiddiecakes,

I totally understand what you're trying to accomplish for your kids. You have my deepest admiration. Both of my daughters have mitochondrial disease with what feels like a myriad of different illnesses all rolled into one giant illness. We've been through tube feeding, a Trilogy ventilator, rollator walkers, a power wheelchair, hospice care and more doctors and medications than you can imagine. Travel is not on our radar for now. However, we have albums full of happy vacations before the disease mechanism did it's damage. Whatever you can make happen will be worth your efforts, and will give you wonderful memories to treasure.

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us! We are a joyful group and always welcome new friends.

Beckie

I am so sorry you have to go through all that. We (kind of) have Matt under control and start a new treatment in April. Katelyn is all over the place. I am still figuring out how to get her formula for the g tube, a suitcase for her meds and the dog stuff plus room for all our stuff! We haven't traveled in a couple of years but after this last year, I know how important it is to take the time to do a vacation. She has met so many kids that are sick like her or worse and we count our blessings every day! She actually enjoyed the cruise a couple of years ago because there was no pressure to do anything, she got to read her kindle, and just chill when she needed to. She didn't feel like she ruined anything for the rest of us. We keep the excursions pretty low key that if she isn't feeling the greatest, that is ok! The important thing is to keep giving her the message that she controls the illness not it controlling her and she can still do things with some adjustments. I may be doing a ton of leg work in the background but nothing beats the smile on their faces when we accomplish something! God bless your family and I hope you get to travel again someday soon.

First of all, have no fear. I was YOU a few months ago. I was overly anxious about getting every detail handled, and getting every bit of information I needed.

"The certificate" It's USDA APHIS form #7001. You get it from your USDA certified veterinarian. Mine cost about $120 if I remember correctly. You get this just prior to your cruise, as it is time sensitive. After you get the certificate from the vet, you visit your closest USDA APHIS office by appointment, or if one is not within driving distance, you FEDEX it to the office.

Before you do anything else, call Carnival and find out who to contact at that office who would be in charge of service dogs. You will most likely have to email them with specifics as what the dog does for your DD or DS, along with some other information. Be sure to include your booking number, so they know which cruise you will be on and can access your info easily. Once you get the approval for the dog(s) to sail, you can start the rest of the running around. If they don't approve the dog sailing, there is no need to do the rest.

Next, or you can start doing that now...google the official government sites for each island you are visiting to find out their rules and restrictions. I just did that for my next cruise. I suggest you print the info out for your records, so you can refer to it. I brought mine to the vet, but they had a person who also could access that info there.

Keep a file! Put everything regarding the dog in that file. You never know when you might need something.

Here is a start:

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to the US Virgin Islands

US Virgin Islands does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:

Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies and various other diseases between 30 days and 6 months prior to entry.

A licensed veterinarian will complete the US Virgin Islands Veterinary Certificate.

An Import Permit is required to import birds, ferrets or any other animal other than a dog or cat.

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:

Your pet must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 10 months prior to entering Puerto Rico (one year vaccine) and 30 days and 34 months (3 year vaccine)..

A licensed veterinarian will complete a Veterinary Certificate for Puerto Rico within 7 days of entry.

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Turks and Caicos from a rabies free country or a country with a low incidence of rabies.

Domestic Pets - there are no restrictions on bringing domestic pets into the Turks and Caicos Islands from countries the Department of Agriculture considers as a rabies free country such as the following:

Antigua, Australia, Anguilla, Barbados, Dominica, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Ireland, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Virgin Islands, and United Kingdom. Pets must have resided in these countries for at least six (6) months.

Pets entering from countries with a low incidence of rabies such as the United States and Canada must follow these steps:

Your pet must be microchipped with a 15 digit ISO 11784 compliant pet microchip. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.

If your pet is entering Turks and Caicos from a rabies country ot listed above and excluding the United States and Canads, it must be vaccinated for rabies and other diseases not less than 6 months and not more than one year prior to entry.

Import Permit issued by Animal Health Services

When originating in a non rabies free country (excluding the United States or Canada**), a Blood Titer Test must be administered not less than 3 months and not more than 24 months prior to entry and processed at an approved laboratory. The test is valid for two (2) years. (Have your veterinarian scan your pet's microchip prior to the titer test.)

A licensed veterinarian then completes the proper International Health Certificate for Turks & Caicos for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are traveling from another country, the Governmental Authority responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms for you.

A copy of the Rabies Certificate and Blood Titer Test results should also be included for endorsement.

Ticks and tapeworm examination within 14 days of import.

**If traveling from the United States or Canada, the rabies vaccination can be given at least 3 months and not more than 12 months prior to entry. Your pet must have had a Blood Titer Test done during its lifetime and the vaccination must not have expired at any time.

(If Half Moon Cay is in the Bahamas...)

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to the Commonwealth of the Bahamas

The Bahamas do not quarantine healthy dogs and cats who meet the following requirements:

From the United States and Canada:

Import Permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, Trade and Industry (Nassau).

Your pet must be 6 months of age or older.

Rabies vaccination not less than 1 month and not more than 10 months prior to entry.

Your pet must be accompanied by a Veterinary Health Certificate for the Bahamas presented within 48 hours of arrival in the Commonwealth of the Bahamas to a licensed veterinarian for an examination. Although it is not required, we recommend that a USDA or CFIA licensed veterinarian complete the form and you have it endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.

A copy of the Rabies Certificate should be included for endorsement.

Unaccompanied pets traveling as manifest cargo will need a health certificate issued within 10 days of travel. Your airlines may also require a health certificate even if your pet is traveling with you in the cabin or as checked baggage.

The permit is valid for 90 days from the date of issue. There will be a customs duty at the point of entry.

This info should get you started. You vet should be able to help you with the rest. The most important port to concern yourself with is the first one. After that, you are not technically coming from the US.

Oh, when you get your form 7001 signed and stamped, make sure you tell them the dog is a service dog. That will waive their fee.

Good luck.

Cindra

Cindra, having a master database or spreadsheet of entry requirements for each country is a great idea. From my reading on this forum I don't think anyone has ever done it so far. Mind you, I am merely the mayor of Lurkerville. So I am not the be all and end all opinion. :) Not to mention I have only been on one cruise ever in my life and it didn't include my daughter's service dog Gibson.

Also have to say I can't wait for Roz & Horton to come back from their pending cruise with more exciting stories. So quiet around here when they sail.

Thanks,

Beckie

Beckie,

If we could all work together on this, it would work. We all visit different places around the world. As we research each cruise or trip, we could share that port info with the database, so others who are seeking it, can access it. This will make all of our lives easier. We could make it in simple language, so there are no questions or misunderstandings when reading it. We can also update it with the latest changes, as they are issued...as recently happened with Barbados.

I am definitely willing to help create the database...but I will need help. I don't know how to create a spreadsheet, so someone with that expertise will have to volunteer for that. I can't even get a photo to post on these boards.:rolleyes:

Once Roz gets back, we can run it by her.

Cindra

so today is a depressing one for sure - we were supposed to be boarding the Norwegian Pearl in a few hours, but we had to cancel due to my brother-in-law's illness...he is doing better but my wife could not take a chance.

I guess I will find out how the trip insurance reimbursement process works.

Roz I hope you and Horton have a great time...I will be cruising vicariously through you guys for the next 10 days!

so today is a depressing one for sure - we were supposed to be boarding the Norwegian Pearl in a few hours, but we had to cancel due to my brother-in-law's illness...he is doing better but my wife could not take a chance.

Oh wow, I am so sorry. I hope he continues to improve. ((hugs))

Roz I hope you and Horton have a great time...I will be cruising vicariously through you guys for the next 10 days!

Oh no, I'm so sorry! Sending good thoughts for his recovery and perhaps you can reschedule later.

You made the right choice. We cancelled a San Diego/Hawaii cruise a few years ago shortly before sailing date, took all the formal stuff from our luggage and drove to Florida instead. Made it in time to say goodbye to my husband's mother, who was alert and talking until she died the next day. We were so relieved - might have been out at sea for five days unable to get back.

I'm so sorry, please pass on our very best and warmest wishes from Scotland for a speedy recovery to your brother in law. :)

Beckie,

If we could all work together on this, it would work. We all visit different places around the world. As we research each cruise or trip, we could share that port info with the database, so others who are seeking it, can access it. This will make all of our lives easier. We could make it in simple language, so there are no questions or misunderstandings when reading it. We can also update it with the latest changes, as they are issued...as recently happened with Barbados.

I am definitely willing to help create the database...but I will need help. I don't know how to create a spreadsheet, so someone with that expertise will have to volunteer for that. I can't even get a photo to post on these boards.:rolleyes:

Once Roz gets back, we can run it by her.

Cindra

I'd be happy to help - I love a spreadsheet challenge! LOL! It might take a while to scroll back through this thread for port information, but again, it might be a better idea to start from scratch as things change and we would want to have the most up-to-date information (in a format which can in turn be updated). For both USA and UK (European) cruisers.

Could this be created in a "Sticky" at the top of this thread? I've no idea! Maybe the Mods could suggest how, and where we could put this information.

Alexspepa, I hope your brother-in-law is doing better and better. Sending you and your wife warm cyber hugs. Kept searching until I found a link to the Long Beach Port webcam. As the camera switches from place to place along the port you can see two cruise ships in the background through some palm trees. Roz and Horton are surely on one of them waiting to depart. You can also see some container ships past the lighthouse. The cruiseliners are in the same shot as the sailboats, not the lighthouse. http://www.***********/cruise-port-webcams/united-states/long-beach-california.php

Thanks,

Beckie

Edited by Insuregal
Had to add some details.

Sending you hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery for your BIL.

Cindra

I'd be happy to help - I love a spreadsheet challenge! LOL! It might take a while to scroll back through this thread for port information, but again, it might be a better idea to start from scratch as things change and we would want to have the most up-to-date information (in a format which can in turn be updated). For both USA and UK (European) cruisers.

Could this be created in a "Sticky" at the top of this thread? I've no idea! Maybe the Mods could suggest how, and where we could put this information.

You're on! If we pool the information we currently have from our latest cruises, we should have a good start. A "sticky" somewhere on the page or above, a place where it won't get lost in the shuffle and can be easily accessed would be best. Do we have to OK it with the Cruise Critic higher ups first? Who knows, maybe CC will make a special page or area on the main part of the site for it.

Currently, I can contribute information for 14 countries/islands, plus the few I posted yesterday . We could get the Caribbean covered in no time!

We could rule the world with it! ;)

Cindra

I am sorry to hear about your BIL - I hope he has a speedy recovery. Let us know how the insurance reimbursement goes - I have never had to use it and would be curious to know if you have any difficulty with the reimbursement.

Dianne

Aruba,

Holy crap, what were you thinking? You weren't!!!! Aruba, they're only going to buy, "I'm just a puppy" for so long and then you've got to "shape-up!"

Did your Mum yell at you?........I just laugh inside when Roz yells......but, I put my tail way down, next to my butt and hang my ears as low as my chin and move my eyes down in a frowny-kind-of-way, just to make her think I really care! Humans are such suckers for this!!!!

Aruba, stop embarrassing me, will ya!!! But, don't worry the humans [you and me got real lucky with ours] will ALWAYS love us no matter what!:rolleyes:

I'm watching Roz pack my stuff for our big cruise on Monday [she didn't forget my chews and rice cakes, yippee!] We've been shopping, after work, every night......she's got to get some new earrings tonight! I actually like the shopping thing, I get lots of Ohhhh's and Awwwww's from strangers. And, people who beg Roz to let them touch me! Humans really like Service Dogs!!!! Unless, they're afraid and then they run into walls to get away from me......What the heck?:o

Lot's of people ask her about the name on my vest that says Canine Companions for Independence, she's tells them about it and it takes forever. That's where I met one of my most favorite people in the whole world, his name was Ken, he trained me......we'll, he didn't give-up on me so I could meet my forever Mom, Roz! I'm grateful that he trusted I would get over my puppy stuff, eventually [NEWS FLASH! I'm still acting like a puppy and I'm almost 6!]

Aruba, I'll miss you and my other cyber friends for the 10 days I'm cruising.....but, I'll write you when I get home! I wish I could bark at you on the cell phone but Roz says it would have "roaming" charges......Who cares! I love to roam!

Please be a good girl......your Mum loves you so much and she expects that you'll use good judgment.......good thinking on that cheese thing!!!

I'll ALWAYS love you ♥,

Pawlightly,

Horton Jeffrey

Have a great cruise Horton (and Roz).

I am sorry to hear about your BIL - I hope he has a speedy recovery. Let us know how the insurance reimbursement goes - I have never had to use it and would be curious to know if you have any difficulty with the reimbursement.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne - I cancelled the cruise on Thursday and called the insurance company immediately. They sent me several forms that need to be filled out - one from a doctor, one from the patient authorizing release of information and one from the passengers. I will also have to supply proof of payment information. They sent a checklist of various items I need to complete.

I will let you know what happens...

Thanks Dianne - I cancelled the cruise on Thursday and called the insurance company immediately. They sent me several forms that need to be filled out - one from a doctor, one from the patient authorizing release of information and one from the passengers. I will also have to supply proof of payment information. They sent a checklist of various items I need to complete.

I will let you know what happens...

Why can't they make the process easier? You are under enough stress as it is.