Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I did call and ask them to seat us by a wall or in a corner. The dining room is usually one of our first stops on the ship to make sure that we get an appropriate table, having Naini with us will make that stop even more important. Fortunately we are Elite with Celebrity so we are supposed to get priority dining placement. We have considered buying the dining package, it is $29 a day to eat every night in the specialty dining. I am sure they have much more room for our big fur baby. I think we will make that decision once we see the dining room to see how much room she will have.

Hi all, My husband and I just booked a cruise on the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska in May of next year. This will be our first cruise with his service dog Naini. Naini was a rescue that we sent to training for Brace and Balance. We have not had her that long so this will be quit the adventure. She's a 100lb Komondor. So we have found the biggest problem we have is that she's a show stopper. Since they are a pretty rare bread everyone wants to pet and talk to her which has been very distracting for her (she loves people). I am sure being on the cruise will make this even more of a problem.

Thanks Judy

Welcome Judy. You have come to the right place, you will find the nicest and most helpful people on this board. Naini is a cutie!

Dianne

Your packing list is very complete! One thing that I do is download documents I think I might need as PDF's to my phone and kindle. That way I have access to them and can print them out if necessary - of course I bring a hard copy of everything, but I have Henri's rabies certificate, county license, CCI certificate, etc. on my phone just in case anything is lost.

Dianne

Great idea! I could load them onto my iPad.

I've made PDFs in recent years of so many important papers like passports, birth certificates, my husband's military discharge, etc.. Fronts and backs of our credit cards. On our first two cruises, I burned a DVD with all Raylene's (and our) key papers.

Henri does the same thing - she generally doesn't droll, but when she is waiting for me to say that its okay to start eating her dinner she is drolling all over the place!

Your packing list is very complete! One thing that I do is download documents I think I might need as PDF's to my phone and kindle. That way I have access to them and can print them out if necessary - of course I bring a hard copy of everything, but I have Henri's rabies certificate, county license, CCI certificate, etc. on my phone just in case anything is lost.

Dianne

That is brilliant!!! :)

I did call and ask them to seat us by a wall or in a corner. The dining room is usually one of our first stops on the ship to make sure that we get an appropriate table, having Naini with us will make that stop even more important. Fortunately we are Elite with Celebrity so we are supposed to get priority dining placement. We have considered buying the dining package, it is $29 a day to eat every night in the specialty dining. I am sure they have much more room for our big fur baby. I think we will make that decision once we see the dining room to see how much room she will have.

You know exactly what to do! You're going to have such a wonderful time with her. I wish I could be with you to watch everyone getting excited over her! It's amazing how excited everyone gets over my big boy!

Some of the crew haven't seen their family or pets for months and they really get a kick out of being with and touching our amazing heroes!

Wow, I didn't realize that it has been over two months since I have been on this board! Crazy. It took me quite some time to catch up on those 25 pages of posts!!

I can't recall all that I read, but here are a few replies to things I remember:

-- Yes, for both entering the Bahamas and entering back in the US, you need the international health certificate. It does not need to be endorsed by your regional USDA office. You also need the import permit from the Bahamas, of course.

-- Pumpkin puree is good for both diarrhea and constipation in dogs. The dog food company Weruva (my late service dog used to eat their canned food) makes pouches of pumpkin puree for animals that are perfect for travelling with (as well as using at home, of course). Chewy.com sells them and I recommend that site for buying dog food and treats - and I recommend the dog food brand "i and love and you" (both the dry kibble and the dehydrated raw). I got a bag of wonderful freeze-dried green-lipped mussel treats from Chewy, too, though I can't recall the brand name.

-- I highly recommend using a packing list app on your phone/tablet. I use one called "Packing List" that lets me keep master lists for myself and my dog, then make individual trip lists from those master lists. You can write in the quantity of each item, where it is located (i.e. kitchen or bedroom), which bag/suitcase you're packing it in, and even how much it weighs (if you wish to keep track of that - I just weigh my checked bags with a luggage scale once packed).

-- There's no issue with doing any kind of titers, as they're just blood tests using blood drawn no differently than is done at your dog's annual exam for CBC, heartworm test, etc. The only thing with rabies titers is that they can be expensive, though IAADP members do get a discount as well as priority front-of-the-line handling at KSU. I highly recommend being an IAADP member anyway.

-- Love all the dog/puppy photos! Sorry to hear that Aruba didn't make it as a guide dog, but glad she got to come home to her puppy raisers!

-- Remember not to allow your dogs to play with Beanie Babies and the like because if they rip open, the filling could be dangerous if injested. The same goes for toys made for human children, as the stuffing in them is treated with chemicals to make them non-flammable and said chemicals are dangerous if a dog injests them.

-- I took my own faux grass on two cruises and used extra-absorbent potty pads under it (with unfolded garbage bags under them as an extra lining). I packed it up in a small suitcase and checked it on the planes, so it can be done. Oh, and I cleaned it with a special disinfectant spray made for kennels and such before bringing it home. I recommend it.

And now the news you've been waiting for: I brought home my current dog from the trainer about six weeks ago and she has been doing great! She is VERY loving and LOVES to give kisses and cuddles (she even sits on the back sofa cushion to snuggle with me and put her cheek against mine)! She is well-behaved, of course, and does all her tasks well, including the medical alert to warn me 15-30 minutes before an episode of one of my disabilities. She has a lot of energy (anyone know how she can lend me some?!), but thankfully she loves to play fetch with her tennis balls, football, and Kong Frisbee (it is a soft rubber one made for dogs), so it is easy to exercise her. She loves to play keep-away with them, too, but always relinquishes them when I tell her to "drop it", of course.

Today would have been my previous service dog's birthday (she passed away in August, for you newbies), so I am sad about that. But, I am happy to have my wonderful current service dog in my life! And as a bonus, my lips have never been so exfoliated and dry skin-free from all her doggy kisses!

Quam, great news about your new pup!:):):)

What a great tip about the pumpkin packages!!!! I had no idea this was available - just looked it up and am putting together an order from Chewy today.

I've been carrying two heavy cans plus opener in her suitcase for cruises & fortunately didn't need it, but it would have been so cumbersome in space and weight for a long trip involving flights.

Plain canned pumpkin works like a miracle drug for Raylene when she has a tummy upset (in either direction:D).

Hi Judy! My friend when I lived in Sedona had a dog like that named Nemo.

Quam, it's nice to hear from you and hear about your new pup. :)

Just got my Bahamas Import form back for my January cruise. Still waiting on the new apartment but hopefully soon. I get to see Jagger about twice a week. He gets so happy to see me. I got covered in doggy kisses yesterday.

Got to see the new puppies again. They are SO cute. They are 10 days old today.

As soon as I get my new place he can come for overnights again. I may get him for Christmas if I haven't moved by then if my brother takes his dog with them for their visit in Ohio. I'm hoping.

Now gearing up for all the holiday events with the dogs. Parades and more parades!

Here are some of the Halloween Party photos. I'm not in any, but what creative people!

https://www.facebook.com/hollysumner.ff/media_set?set=a.10153225182458543.1073741854.535573542&type=3&pnref=story

Quam, I' glad to see that you and your new dog are bonding well.

Happy, healthy weekend everyone!!!

We're finally getting some "weather" here in sunny L.A. A little rain, a little crisp wintery mornings & nights. For me, it's still not fireplace weather but, hopefully we'll see some more of winter. Not that I'm complaining about the ability to go out and about without worrying about slipping and sliding in some sort of slosh or another! Love the sunshine!

Dianne

That IS brilliant! I've done that before for documents, but never even thought of doing that for the stuff needed for Jagger. Thank you so much, as that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I cruise in 79 days! Might be my last Disney cruise as they are getting so up there in price while dropping the good stuff. My cruising funds will be much more limited after moving too. I could go on Carnival for so much less. I've cruised with them before and totally enjoyed it.

Glad to hear they're good with service dogs!

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Holly

just found this board and i have a few questions about cruising with our service dog. We are looking at cruising in May and would love to take Jemma with us. We have narrowed our options to two different cruises both on Carnival. Question one with going to Bahamas on the cruise do you need to visit a vet before leaving(I can't find that answer) and does this pertain to half moon cay too?

Our 2 options our going to: 5 days Freeport, Nassau and Half Moon Cay

Or 7 days Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Amber Cove.

When looking into the Dominican Repulic it says only about entering by airport so I'm at a loss where to find info for entering by ship.

Did look through some of the pages and I love the tips, I guess we will be teaching Jemma to use a box to get ready for this trip

just found this board and i have a few questions about cruising with our service dog. We are looking at cruising in May and would love to take Jemma with us. We have narrowed our options to two different cruises both on Carnival. Question one with going to Bahamas on the cruise do you need to visit a vet before leaving(I can't find that answer) and does this pertain to half moon cay too?

When looking into the Dominican Repulic it says only about entering by airport so I'm at a loss where to find info for entering by ship.

Did look through some of the pages and I love the tips, I guess we will be teaching Jemma to use a box to get ready for this trip

Hi and welcome! When you travel outside the US with your service dog, you are exporting an animal, then importing the animal to the US when you return. All dogs including service dogs need a current health certificate.

So shortly before leaving, see a USDA certified veterinarian, who will examine the dog and provide you with an APHIS Health Certificate called Form 7001 valid for 30 days. It includes info on the dog's rabies certificate and microchip. Bring copies of the original rabies certificate with you, to the vet and on the cruise, but keep the original yourself.

You'll provide a copy of the 7001 form to the ship along with the cruise line's own form needed, which their access dept. will provide you by email when you notify them you are traveling with a service dog. The more "dog paperwork" you give the ship, in my opinion, the better they like it. It's helpful, for example, to copy any state registration (if your state registers service dogs), photo ID or training confirmation papers you have for the dog.

For more details, talk to the USDA vet, or call the APHIS Service Center for your state. Google USDA APHIS Imports & Exports. There's a page for the International Regulations - IREGS - with a drop down box where you select the name of the country involved to view their regulations. You will see that both Bahamas and the Dominican Republic pages have info. You can also Google pet travel/the country and/or call the embassy to ask what paperwork they require. The more research you can do now, the better. It's always good to start early, since some countries have more complex requirements than others.

Happy cruising!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Also, the Bahamas can be sloooooow. Definitely do the Import form as soon as possible. Be sure to write in large letters on the top of the form that it is a Service Dog. Then you will not have to pay the fee.

I actually just got mine back. Came within three weeks, but that is an anomaly! I hear it can take months.

Also, when you mail off the Bahamas Import form to them (Bahamian government) be sure your post offices uses an international stamp. Mine cost around $1.20.

It was pretty easy. I will get my Aphis 7001 form about a week before I sail. Already have the Rabies certificate.

Opps I just discovered my mistake in my question. I meant to ask if we had to see a vet while in the Bahamas? We are leaning towards the 7 day cruise so our only stop in the Bahamas will be at Half Moon Cay.

Quam, great news about your new pup!:):):)

What a great tip about the pumpkin packages!!!! I had no idea this was available - just looked it up and am putting together an order from Chewy today.

I've been carrying two heavy cans plus opener in her suitcase for cruises & fortunately didn't need it, but it would have been so cumbersome in space and weight for a long trip involving flights.

Plain canned pumpkin works like a miracle drug for Raylene when she has a tummy upset (in either direction:D).

Yeah, I only just found out about them in September, so I think they might be fairly new. Very handy, though! Since they do expire (but not for a bit), you can also use them just as food toppers even if your dog is feeling fine (so that you don't waste them if your dog doesn't get sick), or when you give your dog the monthly heartworm preventive. The fiber is always a good thing. :) Besides, it is almost Thanksgiving!

Opps I just discovered my mistake in my question. I meant to ask if we had to see a vet while in the Bahamas? We are leaning towards the 7 day cruise so our only stop in the Bahamas will be at Half Moon Cay.

For a cruise, no you do not, since you will be there for less than 48 hours. For a land trip you would, though.

You still will need the import permit for the Bahamas, as well as the international health certificate, of course.

That IS brilliant! I've done that before for documents, but never even thought of doing that for the stuff needed for Jagger. Thank you so much, as that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I cruise in 79 days! Might be my last Disney cruise as they are getting so up there in price while dropping the good stuff. My cruising funds will be much more limited after moving too. I could go on Carnival for so much less. I've cruised with them before and totally enjoyed it.

Glad to hear they're good with service dogs!

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Holly

Holly, I have found Carnival to be a great way to cruise. You just have to be a careful shopper and try NOT to cruise during spring break or shorter cruises over school vacation periods. My 7 day, June cruise onboard the Carnival Miracle with my Grandchildren, was absolutely one of my most favorite cruising experiences. They treated Horton wonderfully. The ship was beautiful, the crew was over the top excellent. The food was delish. They put Horton's potty box on our veranda, it was delightful and so easy.

I wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise onboard Carnival.

Jamey, welcome. You will love traveling with your Service Dog.

FYI: If an Immigration official should want to examine your paperwork or dog, while onboard, let them. However, if they should ask you for any money to allow your dog to enter their port, you have the right to refuse. I told them that I wasn't prepared to pay any money and my dog would not be leaving the ship!

It borders on bribery and I frankly resent it. So, I don't go into any ports, with my dog, when they ask for money.

I think they're getting the hint and I'm hearing of this happening less and less.

Hi everyone!

I am feeling so frustrated now. Six months ago, I started researching the requirements for the ports of our upcoming cruise. Called my vet's office in June to start the ball rolling. Every time I was at the office, I would ask if there were tests, shots or whatever for Pedro. Each time, they would say they were waiting to hear back from the USDA office. Then, I hit a call from my vet, saying that we only had to comply with the first port. Of course, I immediately questioned that, but was told we just had St. Martin to deal with. Since our last cruise, you can no longer visit the central NJ USDA office to get the firm stamped. All of the upper east coast now deals with the Albany, NY office. Since Albany is too far to drive, I checked with the closer Harrisburg, PA office. The vet there told me that I would have to comply with the requirements of ALL of the ports. St. Kitts requires TWO rabies titer tests, at least 30 days apart. H. S., I barely have enough time to get these tests done before we leave! Plus, I have to get several import permits. I am now fearing that we will not be able to get off the ship in most of our ports. Oh, and don't ask me of the several hundreds of dollars this is going to cost... I'm just freaking out. I thought this time around it would be easier... :(

Cindra

Hi everyone!

I am feeling so frustrated now. Six months ago, I started researching the requirements for the ports of our upcoming cruise. Called my vet's office in June to start the ball rolling. Every time I was at the office, I would ask if there were tests, shots or whatever for Pedro. Each time, they would say they were waiting to hear back from the USDA office. Then, I hit a call from my vet, saying that we only had to comply with the first port. Of course, I immediately questioned that, but was told we just had St. Martin to deal with. Since our last cruise, you can no longer visit the central NJ USDA office to get the firm stamped. All of the upper east coast now deals with the Albany, NY office. Since Albany is too far to drive, I checked with the closer Harrisburg, PA office. The vet there told me that I would have to comply with the requirements of ALL of the ports. St. Kitts requires TWO rabies titer tests, at least 30 days apart. H. S., I barely have enough time to get these tests done before we leave! Plus, I have to get several import permits. I am now fearing that we will not be able to get off the ship in most of our ports. Oh, and don't ask me of the several hundreds of dollars this is going to cost... I'm just freaking out. I thought this time around it would be easier... :(

Cindra

Cindra, this sounds like what happened when we were going to Europe with Brenda. We were traveling within 5 days of booking the trip. We didn't have enough time to do the blood titer draw and then have two of them within a certain amount of time. So, we had our Vet write a letter explaining her health history and maintenance, how she was cared for and always immunized in a timely fashion with her being in sound health and prepared to travel either by plan or ship. We presented this letter of health to the authorities and they accepted it going into all airports and crossing different borders [except for Italy who kept us waiting at the border from Switzerland and after 1/2 hour finally let us in.]

Have your Vet write a letter of health for Pedro. You're going to take your cruise, don't let this stop you. Make a few copies so that you can give them one copy, like I had to do in Italy.

And, as had been said, the more paperwork the happier the Immigration official.

Thanks, Roz. As I was posting, the UDSA vet called me back. After talking to their vet for an hour, I got a few answers. After port one, St. Martin, we are on our own to comply with each country's requirements. Ugh. The one good thing is that I can't still get 7001 stamped in person at a local office. They only have to go to Albany, NY if we fedex it. I just read that Barbados categorizes animals arriving by sea, including yachts and cruise ships, in a group that requires an extra rabies titer test 90 days out. Well, we don't have time for that one. I hope the vet letter works.

Also, regarding "import permits" for islands that require them...did you have to get them yourself or is that done by the officer on board? Our last cruise didn't require any...or at least I didn't get any. When I called Princess, they said we had to do it...but call again and I could get a different answer. I have already emailed the countries that require them, but haven't heard back yet. There's got to be an easier way...

Cindra