Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I love these stories!

I have a date with Jagger today. We are going to go to downtown Deland. Unless it pours. Then we'll just hang out together.

Last night we went to a double feature movie - both Mockingjay Part 1 and 2. I didn't take Jagger, but Sarah and Khai brought Jada and Fargo. They were such good dogs. If it'd not have been such a drive, I'd have gotten Jagger.

Was good to see as someone had spilled popcorn and both dogs didn't touch it. Have to admit Jada looked longingly at a piece on the ground, but she didn't go for it. That would be a real test for Jagger.... :rolleyes:

I think this will show up. Jada is Jagger's sister by the way.

They are so cute......They're behaving so well! I just love these dogs

We are starting to have an issue with Orson and too many kids. Especially when we are doing an awareness or a fundraiser. He loves people but small kids are starting to bug him a little. We know he's had enough when he goes behind us and lays down or gets under the table. Sutter on the other hand has to learn that everyone is not there to pet him.

Interesting that Orson is displaying like that. It's sure better than him actually growling at the kids to back off!

Horton really comes to life when kids are around, whereas Brenda was a bit like Orson, she preferred to move herself in such a way that she would be facing me and away from the kids. She just knew that paying them no attention was the way to get them to back off.......Horton is a different story.

I love it when a teeny-weenie little toddler comes flying at him and everyone is gasping as to what he's going to do. I ask them to remain calm and just watch. I, of course, am holding his leash but it wouldn't matter. He looks pretty ominous because he's so huge and so black but, he allows the toddler to come right up to his face, touch his nose and try to stick their fingers in his mouth, he LOVES every minute of it. It's a beautiful sight to see. He gently moves his head up and down their tummies making them giggle and the crowd goes wild! The cameras come out and I could make a fortune from the pictures. I'm sure he's in more strangers picture albums!

I do allow for playtime with the public or they would just bug me to death to touch him. I ask that when we're walking along that they do NOT distract him or call his name. It's usually when I'm trying to take him to the potty box and they want me to stop so they can play with him. I tell them that he's on the way to go potty and we'll stop by on the way back.

I totally get it. The longer the cruise the worse the need is of the public to touch him. They're missing their own pets so much, they need a fix. And, the crew.......Holy cow! They haven't seen their pets in months and they're really needy. I'm totally okay with all of it. As long as the public realizes that when we're moving along or Horton is working they have to respect both our needs. And, they always do!!! I've only had a few occasions when I've had to ask someone to please wait, Horton's working right now!

I am curious as to how all of you would handle this situation. I was at Target the other day with Ellie and I had a lady a register over make a snide remark about how she should get one of those vests for her dog, since you can just by one on E-bay.

I know many question Ellie being a service dog since she is so small (7lb miniature Poodle), but she was behaving herself and doing what she would be doing. She was even on the floor and not in my arms. I don't know what deserved that comment from her. I ignored her, but I wanted to tell her to go ahead if she thought she could afford the $2000 fine and jail time. What would all of you have done?

Thanks for posting the newer form, Quam. I see Bahamas now asks for the microchip number on the new form.

My dog has two microchips, an AVID chip from Dogs for the Deaf and her original one from Guide Dogs for the Blind before her career change.

Neither chip is the newer ISO standard, though. So far no problem, and of course the USDA certified vet verifies the chip when she examines the dog, and signs off on the 7001 form with the chip as indicated.

Still, I worry a little about problems if we go to Europe in the future without the ISO chip but it seems ridiculous to subject the poor animal to a third chip. I've seen some recommendations that people carry along a chip reader for the older style, but they are very expensive to buy or even to rent.

Why did Dogs for the Deaf give her a second chip? I have heard of people doing a second chip in order to have an ISO chip because the first chip wasn't ISO, but to have two non-ISO chips is a bit strange, not to mention confusing when scanning. I didn't even want to get my previous service dog a second chip in order to have an ISO chip because of confusion.

I think it depends on the country whether or not they will allow a dog with a non-ISO chip, and yes, if they do, they usually require you to have a chip reader that can read that chip with you. Readers cost several hundred dollars and are not worth renting for more than a week or so (might as well buy it).

I am glad Barbados will now admit dogs. But I'm fairly sure I am not going to take my dog ashore in Barbados when our ship docks there in December 2016. Even though our Celebrity cruise has an overnight stay in port for one & one-half days, it's not worth it. I can see doing it if you are arriving by air for a two week vacation.

I do understand their position with rabies, but requirements really are stiff. The model certificate has additional language not found on the 7001. So probably you have to have both types of forms signed and endorsed/stamped by your state's service center (the "Federal Authority.") No big deal so far.

But then they have a fee schedule - $25 + $60 that could climb to overtime fees up to $300 if they have a vet come to examine the animal if the ship arrives outside their working days and hours. That's not in your control.

Then they also want a blood titer drawn for cruise ship arrival dogs. I haven't done one of those yet, but even if the Kansas lab fee is waived for service dogs whose partners belong to IAADP, you'd still have costs for the vet drawing the blood and the overnight mailing to the lab.

I had to do two rabies titers for a cruise (one or two islands required one six months beforehand and one island required two tests) and it was worth it - one of those islands (St. Kitts) became my favorite! Between the tests and having to overnight mail the papers for an import permit to one of the countries, plus the appointments for the rabies vaccination and health certificate, it cost me about $500. Costly, but worth it so I could get off the ship and do stuff/see the different countries - I am not going to pay thousands for a trip just to be stuck on a ship the whole time.

The titer fee isn't waived, just discounted plus you get moved to the front of the line (get your results faster than a pet owner would), if you use the IAADP discount.

I am curious as to how all of you would handle this situation. I was at Target the other day with Ellie and I had a lady a register over make a snide remark about how she should get one of those vests for her dog, since you can just by one on E-bay.

I know many question Ellie being a service dog since she is so small (7lb miniature Poodle), but she was behaving herself and doing what she would be doing. She was even on the floor and not in my arms. I don't know what deserved that comment from her. I ignored her, but I wanted to tell her to go ahead if she thought she could afford the $2000 fine and jail time. What would all of you have done?

We are in a similar situation. Pedro, my husband's service dog is a chihuahua. We constantly get the 'stink eye' from people, especially on cruises. I talked myself almost hoarse on our last cruise, explaining to people how such a little dog is in service. Pedro is a PTSD service dog, and since he doesn't have to do any heavy lifting or physical tasks, he can be any size or breed. Some people are not satisfied with this explanation. Don't let them bother you. My husband has a great line for those people..."If you want to see what service he does, keep pissing me off!" I have to turn my head and chuckle, but those nay sayers usually leave it at that.

There will always be negative people out there. Just smile and walk away. Your day will be better for it. Their day will still be miserable. ;)

Cindra

Cindra, I've heard someone on this board mention that the "rabies titer" tests are a "simple" blood draw, "no big deal!" Guess what, when I have to go to the doctor and I know they're going to have to draw blood, I don't like it and it even scares me, at times......call me a big baby.

I don't like subjecting my APPROPRIATELY IMMUNIZED dog to any blood draws if it's really NOT necessary. And, it's NOT!

Dogs aren't humans. Most dogs barely flinch, if anything, at vaccinations and blood draws. It truly is not subjecting your dog to anything. Yes, your dog is immunized (too much so, since rabies vaccinations last far longer than three years, but laws are laws...), but countries also need to keep themselves rabies-free, so proof that your dog's immunization is still working is necessary for the health and safety of the rabies-free countries (and Hawaii). Depending on the timing of your cruise, you may be able to get a rabies titer drawn for when you do your other blood draws for heartworm test, CBC, other titers, etc. at the annual exam.

Now, if you want to point that needle at me, you WILL be hurt, LOL!! I have a severe phobia of needles (for real). It is ridiculous (as phobias are).

Just got off the phone with our local USDA office. We have our appointment to get 7001 stamped. Phew! I also asked them about Barbados. He said the reason why they won't allow dogs in from ships/yachts is because a flight can't be definitely traced back to its original location. A ship can come from anywhere...even if a ship has an official log. Stupid...imho.

That's crazy, especially for a cruise ship since you know it isn't going to fake logs or anything like maybe a private yacht might try to do. And if anyone is going to fake paperwork, they'd probably fake the rabies paperwork, including people flying in.

Roz,

As soon as I found out we had to do the titer, I got Pedro into the vet ASAP for the blood draw. According to the Kansas State lab, they're working on it. The vet said they can take two to three weeks to get the result back. That's why we are now on a time crunch, especially with St. Kitts.

Did you use the IAADP discount, which also moves you to the front of the line? The first time I did it, my vet was all confused about the discount et al and didn't use it, so it took a while to get the results, but the second time they did use it and I got the results much faster. (Of course, I had to do the six-month wait for one or two of the countries, so I wasn't in a rush to get the results.)

You do realize that you don't need to wait to get the results of the first test back before doing the second test, right? If there's a thirty-day time frame between titers (as I recall), it is from the dates of the blood draws (which is also when the six-month wait begins for places with that requirement), not the dates of the tests/results. Unless you have reason to think the test will come back negative, which would be unusual.

I'm curious, how many of you are members of the IAADP?

I read up on the organization, and Pedro meets all of their qualifications for membership, so I will scan his certificates into the computer and email them over, probably this weekend.

I have been a member for years and find it to be quite worth it, especially since you get Cosequin or Dasuquin for free (that's worth MUCH more than the membership fee)! My previous vet was a VCA hospital, so I also saved a lot on vet bills (including for health certificates) using the VCA discount over the years. I no longer go to a VCA hospital, so won't be using that discount anymore, and am sad my new vet has no discount for service dogs (the one where my trainer is had a sweet 30% discount!), but my new vet is up on all the latest medical stuff, including using lasers not only for incisions (including laproscopic) but also to reduce/prevent bleeding during surgery and to promote faster healing - worth having to pay full price!

I enjoy getting the IAADP newsletter, top, although it seems like it doesn't come out as often as it used to (anyone else feel this way?). And, of course, IAADP is great at advocating for us - they recently worked with the DOT to get a new law requiring service dog relief (potty) areas in the secure parts of airports (I believe those have to be in place by next fall).

They also have a new chat line or something for those of us who have lost service dogs, though I have not participated in it.

They don't require you to send in your certification, just fill out the membership application with the program/trainer info. as well as at least two tasks your dog does for you (among some other info.).

I have no idea where this came from but when we're in a large crowd that we have to maneuver our way through Horton will actually walk in front of me and guide me through it. I had sun glasses on and my SIL said, OMG, these folks think he's a seeing eye dog. They literally parted a huge path for Horton and I to walk through. This is not part of his training but it sure came very natural for him to do this behavior and it kept either one of us from being trampled.

I get that all the time, people thinking my service dog is a guide dog. I know that has a lot to do with them not knowing the difference between a guide harness and a mobility harness, plus I have to wear tinted glasses due to one of my disabilities. It is helpful when they point out steps, but not helpful when waitresses don't give me a menu because they think I can't see it! :p

I probably would have ignored her, too, unless she was speaking directly to me. Unfortunately, fakers are going to fake no matter what you tell them. They only care about themselves and cannot comprehend that they are indeed hurting people when they fake their pets as service dogs. (You can see their behavior on Instagram - but I don't recommend looking for it because it is infuriating! I hear Twitter is bad, too, but I am not on there.)

I agree with Quam, it's just best to ignore.

I had an acquaintance that wanted to know how to make her dog a service dog. We're talking an already full grown Great Dane. I told her what it would take and she was like, "nope I'm just going to buy one of those vests". When I pointed out that was a huge mistake (and now illegal in FL) she was like, "Who cares?". NO amount of reasoning worked so I just let it go.

People just don't get it sometimes.

You did the right thing by ignoring her. Now if it had been hassling from the checkout clerk, you would ask for the manager.

Jerks are jerks no matter what the topic, and unfortunately fakers dressing their pet dogs in their eBay vests harm legitimate dog partners. People "know" little dogs can't possibly perform tasks to assist a person with a disability, right? because those people haven't struggled with a disability themselves (YET) and are not educated on the subject.

My dog came from Dogs for the Deaf, and many of their dogs are rescues, very small and "cute", counter to the public preconception that Assistance Dogs are all big. So part of the training is anticipating resistance to admission and educating businesses about the ADA law.

My partner turned out to be a Guide Dogs career changer (the two nonprofits cooperate) so I've only been hassled in public once. I told the trainer I was surprised that my dog and I had not been challenged in stores, and she explained that people expect to see Labs in service.

Yep! Spoiled like little children. I love it!

Today I was in a very important meeting with some top politico's in our community and a gentleman got up and dropped his glasses, Horton got up, picked up the man's glasses and took them to his bed [just like a squirrel storing food for the winter] I was so embarrassed! The man said, "can you please get my glasses back!" Horton was overthinking his tasks!!! :rolleyes:

Omg too funny!

We are starting to have an issue with Orson and too many kids. Especially when we are doing an awareness or a fundraiser. He loves people but small kids are starting to bug him a little. We know he's had enough when he goes behind us and lays down or gets under the table. Sutter on the other hand has to learn that everyone is not there to pet him.

Even though Wex goes to school with John, he does not like the kindergarten kids or toddlers. The older ones he's ok with as long as he's not mobbed all at once.

We have had people say the same thing to us. What nerve!! We usually just ignore them or tell them that CCI is trying to do something about these fakes.

Actions speak louder than words......A CCI dog acts well in public. It doesn't sniff, lick, growl or nip at the people. I've seen dogs, large and small, with vests on, who nip at and growl at you if you walk by them. A CCI dog wears a vest that has its insignia on it and sometimes other wording such as: "Please Do Not Pet" or "Service Dog", etc. I always say something to the person with the fake service dog.......I tell them that what their doing is WRONG! And, if their dog nips at me one more time I'm going to the manager!

I would have definitely ignored this woman. You really can't blame the public for being suspicious when so many people are buying the fake vests and bringing their ill-mannered dogs into the public venue.

Quam, I don't care what reason you may give for doing an unnecessary test on your dog.........I WILL NEVER DO IT TO MINE!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.......

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Did you use the IAADP discount, which also moves you to the front of the line? The first time I did it, my vet was all confused about the discount et al and didn't use it, so it took a while to get the results, but the second time they did use it and I got the results much faster. (Of course, I had to do the six-month wait for one or two of the countries, so I wasn't in a rush to get the results.)

You do realize that you don't need to wait to get the results of the first test back before doing the second test, right? If there's a thirty-day time frame between titers (as I recall), it is from the dates of the blood draws (which is also when the six-month wait begins for places with that requirement), not the dates of the tests/results. Unless you have reason to think the test will come back negative, which would be unusual.

I just sent in my info for IAADP membership. I didn't know about it before the vet tech mentioned it and then again saw it talked about here.

Yes, I do know I don't have to wait for th results of the first titer to draw the second. There is just one problem, the second result will probably not be back in time to apply for the import permit for St. Kitts before we leave.

Six months ago, I started doing the research and alerting our vet about this trip. Thanks to some misinformation from the local USDA office and my vet's tech, we're under the gun. I need import permits for St. Kitts, Tobago, Antigua and Virgin Gorda. Barbados won't let us disembark with Pedro, because we are traveling by sea...because sea travel can't be tracked like air travel, according to their brain dead authorities. :::rolling eyes:::

Once I get the results from the first titer, I will apply for the permits. I just hope Trinidad/Tobago authorities will process it within their 1 1/2 month requirement...or we won't believe taking him off the ship there either.

It's always the formerly ruled English countries that are the most trouble.

On a lighter note, I just bought Pedro a new tuxedo harness. It's so cute and functional. He should never feel underdressed on formal night. ;)

Cindra

Cindra, I bet Pedro looks so, so cute in his tuxedo! If you can, please post pictures!

I definitely will...if I can ever figure out how to post them here. Every time I've tried to in the past, I have failed miserably. What's the secret?

Roz - So I just got to read your story as I have been in Florida on business and actually was buzy - holy crap I was not expecting "A Day at the Bank" to be a crime novella!

Thank goodness you and Brenda and everyone stayed safe...thank you for sharing your story with us.