Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Since we have Colidal Silver in the cupboard, I will try that. Hubby swears by it. First signs of a cold and he takes it.

Be careful with Coloidial Silver; too much of it can be a problem and permanently mess you up (i.e. change a person's skin color a funky color).

Chris Christensen dog products sells a Coloidial Silver spray for dogs called "Peace & Kindness". (His shampoos are also superb! Brushes, too!) www.chrissystems.com

Does anyone know what postage is to Nassau from California? I sent for my import permit and it came back as return to sender GGGRRRrrrrrrr I put a regular stamp on it thinking thats what i did last time but now im not so sure??????

It is international mail; you can't put a domestic mail stamp on it. :p Just take it (in a new envelope) to the post office and they will put the proper postage on it for you (after you pay them for such, of course, haha).

Mornin' all:

Be careful with Coloidial Silver; too much of it can be a problem and permanently mess you up (i.e. change a person's skin color a funky color).

Chris Christensen dog products sells a Coloidial Silver spray for dogs called "Peace & Kindness". (His shampoos are also superb! Brushes, too!) www.chrissystems.com

Thanks Quamp, I had heard of the man that turned "blue" I believe from too much silver. We don't use it often so I think we are okay. Jezzy Lou's spots aren't clearing up. I am going to have to take her to the vet. My friend works for a vet in the state across the border. But they only work 3 days a week. Have to send her email and get the days right and make the trip, before I start work. It's strange because I really don't see her chewing or scratching the spots. Anyway, hopefully the vet can get her on the right track and I will ask him about the salmon oil.

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

Mornin' all:

Thanks Quamp, I had heard of the man that turned "blue" I believe from too much silver. We don't use it often so I think we are okay. Jezzy Lou's spots aren't clearing up. I am going to have to take her to the vet. My friend works for a vet in the state across the border. But they only work 3 days a week. Have to send her email and get the days right and make the trip, before I start work. It's strange because I really don't see her chewing or scratching the spots. Anyway, hopefully the vet can get her on the right track and I will ask him about the salmon oil.

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

Nancy: Congratulations on your new job.....Now, you'll be able to plan some cruising time!!!!

Roz: You asked - we're going (if we go) on a Carnival cruise this time around. It goes to Nassau (Bahamas), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Grand Turk (Turks & Caicos), and St. Thomas (U.S. Virgin Islands).

Quam: I hope you get to go! Sounds great! Please tell us all about it, if you do!!

Also, Quam, you mentioned about the Welactin and Cosequin being free for IAADP members.

First; has the Cosequin/Dasuqin been proven to be equal to the Glucosamin/Chondroitin in its effectiveness? Brenda is doing so well on the latter that I hate to change it, if it's not going to be equal. And, the same question would be for the Welactin. Is it as effective as the straight Salmon Oil?

I do spend a lot for both of these supplements in Brenda's diet and, most impotantly, I like how she's doing and, don't plan on stopping. But, if I could get the same results without spending the money......that would be even better, for all of us!!!!

(I could save money and put it towards cruising more often!!!!)

Second; how does a member go about getting these supplements, without paying?

Hi Roz

Well Denver is on both welactin and cosequin ( i believe dasequin also has MSM in it for a little extra boost for the older dogs ) He does VERY well on both and since you have seen him i do not have to tell you about his beautiful coat ! He gets 4 squirts welactin ans 2 cosequin 1x daily and WOOFs it down LOL

You just go to IAADPs website and DL the paperwork for your vet to fill out them they call it in ( u are not allowed to do it yourself you HAVE to have a vets office do it ) my vet has it shipped directly to me and it is a 6 month supply when i hit month 5 i just call and re order its fast free and wonderful !!!! I dont know how brenda would do if you took her off the salmon but i do know the cosequin is just as good if not better so id say save your self some money and put it in brennys cruise piggy bank !!!!! I get the cosequin double strength chewables usually you need to do a LOADING dose for it but since shes already on a glucosamine product i think youll be fine to just start her on 2 chewables a day . GOOD LUCK !!!! or as Denver says GOOD LICK !!!!ha ha ha

I think the silver is fine as long as you dont abuse it - as with ANYTHING too much can be bad .... I have a golden who had a hot spot 2 weeks ago i have been spraying it on 2x daily and did a dose of cepelexin antibiotic for 7 days and its GONE so im a big believer - u can get the antibiotics from your vet and they might just give you a spray for the spot called betagen soray it works well too ! good luck

I will be back tomorrow to tell you all about the golden retrievers im rescuing from a man who is loosing his home .... they are real dolls and so loving

cari and Denver

Hello all. I know it has been a long time since I last posted but I have to let you all know that my Finn left me today :( I am absolutely heartbroken, to say the least. He had such a hold on my heart, probably more so than any other dog I've owned. I am in absolute shock right now.

Sweet dreams my babes, sweet dreams!!

A distraught Miriam

PS. Sorry to be the downer of the thread but I also know that you will also really understand what I'm feeling right now too. He was just so incredibly special. I miss him terribly already.

Miriam

Oh Miriam; I am so sorry. Never apologize for including us in your sorrow. It comes with the territory and if anyone understands, we all do. Sweet Finn, say a big woof, woof to Reno for me. I'm sure he is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you. He will show you the ropes.

Nancy

Hello all. I know it has been a long time since I last posted but I have to let you all know that my Finn left me today :( I am absolutely heartbroken, to say the least. He had such a hold on my heart, probably more so than any other dog I've owned. I am in absolute shock right now.

Sweet dreams my babes, sweet dreams!!

A distraught Miriam

PS. Sorry to be the downer of the thread but I also know that you will also really understand what I'm feeling right now too. He was just so incredibly special. I miss him terribly already.

Miriam

Oh! Miriam! I'm so, so sorry for your loss of Finn. I hope that the memories that the two of you shared together will sustain you through the days ahead.

This is very difficult for you, please know that we are all here for you.

When you're ready, please share stories of him with all of us.

Hi Roz

Well Denver is on both welactin and cosequin ( i believe dasequin also has MSM in it for a little extra boost for the older dogs ) He does VERY well on both and since you have seen him i do not have to tell you about his beautiful coat ! He gets 4 squirts welactin ans 2 cosequin 1x daily and WOOFs it down LOL

You just go to IAADPs website and DL the paperwork for your vet to fill out them they call it in ( u are not allowed to do it yourself you HAVE to have a vets office do it ) my vet has it shipped directly to me and it is a 6 month supply when i hit month 5 i just call and re order its fast free and wonderful !!!! I dont know how brenda would do if you took her off the salmon but i do know the cosequin is just as good if not better so id say save your self some money and put it in brennys cruise piggy bank !!!!! I get the cosequin double strength chewables usually you need to do a LOADING dose for it but since shes already on a glucosamine product i think youll be fine to just start her on 2 chewables a day . GOOD LUCK !!!! or as Denver says GOOD LICK !!!!ha ha ha

I think the silver is fine as long as you dont abuse it - as with ANYTHING too much can be bad .... I have a golden who had a hot spot 2 weeks ago i have been spraying it on 2x daily and did a dose of cepelexin antibiotic for 7 days and its GONE so im a big believer - u can get the antibiotics from your vet and they might just give you a spray for the spot called betagen soray it works well too ! good luck

I will be back tomorrow to tell you all about the golden retrievers im rescuing from a man who is loosing his home .... they are real dolls and so loving

cari and Denver

Cari: Please tell us more about the golden's that your rescuing. They're very lucky to have you.

Thanks for the information about the meds for Brenny. You're a wonderful resource for us all.

Well we got back on Sunday from our seven day Disney cruise. We had a great time! Orson was fantastic. I'm not good at long trip reports, so I'll just hit the highlights and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Our cruise bus was a little late getting to the resort to pick us up so by the time we got to the terminal, we were able to board and go to our cabin. We had cabin #6654 on the very back of deck six. It had a HUGE balcony. Orson's "potty pool" was already set up. He didn't like the idea of using it until late Saturday night. After that, he had no trouble using it at all. There were two other dogs on the ship with us. An older couple had two Shelties. His was a cardiac alert dog and hers was an assistance dog. The most asked question on the ship was...where does the dog go to the bathroom? Every once in a while I would start out by telling people that Orson was "toilet trained". But we were having a problem because there was no urinal. :eek: They would look at me, not sure if I was telling them the truth or not. Then I would tell them about the pool on our balcony. The morning we got to Tortola we had to meet with the Clearence Officer and a vet from Tortola at 7:30 AM. She checked all the paperwork and never even looked at the dogs. But she did require $20 cash for each dog. Tortola is not very dog or wheelchair friendly. Since Disney doesn't have any wheelchair accessible excursions, we walked around for a while. We went into one shop and were told we could not bring the dog inside. So we left that shop without spending any money.

They have a little "tent city area set up just beyond the dock that has stones on the ground. Very hard to push a wheelchair on. Then there is an area with little shops that are about the size of a garage. One of them had a ramp. We shopped in there quite a bit. We also thanked the owner for having the ramp.

Our next stop was St. Thomas. Again no accessible excursions. :mad:

Disney will be getting a letter about this. We went to the butterfly farm and did some shopping. The butterfly farm is a short walk from the ship and is much nicer than the one on St. Martin. Even though it's owned by the same people. Our last stop was of course Castaway Cay. Not being beach people and knowing how hard it is to push a beach wheelchair, we walked around a while and then got back on the ship and had it almost all to ourselves. :D All in all it was a great trip. Disney will be getting a letter with a few suggestions. They need to work on getting accessible excursions. They need to put a lift by the pools, and they need to dedicate one elevator for wheelchairs. We were told by one of the Officers that when the new ships come out, either the Magic or Wonder just might be going to Alaska in the summers. :D

So that's about it for now. Please feel free to ask anything. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Well we got back on Sunday from our seven day Disney cruise. We had a great time! Orson was fantastic. I'm not good at long trip reports, so I'll just hit the highlights and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Our cruise bus was a little late getting to the resort to pick us up so by the time we got to the terminal, we were able to board and go to our cabin. We had cabin #6654 on the very back of deck six. It had a HUGE balcony. Orson's "potty pool" was already set up. He didn't like the idea of using it until late Saturday night. After that, he had no trouble using it at all. There were two other dogs on the ship with us. An older couple had two Shelties. His was a cardiac alert dog and hers was an assistance dog. The most asked question on the ship was...where does the dog go to the bathroom? Every once in a while I would start out by telling people that Orson was "toilet trained". But we were having a problem because there was no urinal. :eek: They would look at me, not sure if I was telling them the truth or not. Then I would tell them about the pool on our balcony. The morning we got to Tortola we had to meet with the Clearence Officer and a vet from Tortola at 7:30 AM. She checked all the paperwork and never even looked at the dogs. But she did require $20 cash for each dog. Tortola is not very dog or wheelchair friendly. Since Disney doesn't have any wheelchair accessible excursions, we walked around for a while. We went into one shop and were told we could not bring the dog inside. So we left that shop without spending any money.

They have a little "tent city area set up just beyond the dock that has stones on the ground. Very hard to push a wheelchair on. Then there is an area with little shops that are about the size of a garage. One of them had a ramp. We shopped in there quite a bit. We also thanked the owner for having the ramp.

Disney will be getting a letter about this. We went to the butterfly farm and did some shopping. The butterfly farm is a short walk from the ship and is much nicer than the one on St. Martin. Even though it's owned by the same people. Our last stop was of course Castaway Cay. Not being beach people and knowing how hard it is to push a beach wheelchair, we walked around a while and then got back on the ship and had it almost all to ourselves. :D All in all it was a great trip. Disney will be getting a letter with a few suggestions. They need to work on getting accessible excursions. They need to put a lift by the pools, and they need to dedicate one elevator for wheelchairs. We were told by one of the Officers that when the new ships come out, either the Magic or Wonder just might be going to Alaska in the summers. :D

So that's about it for now. Please feel free to ask anything. I will do my best to answer any questions.

Welcome back! What ship were you on? I love when everyone goes ashore and we have the ship virtually to ourselves. It's so much more fun to explore the ship when no one's around. That's the best time to find an empty lounge and do some serious ball throwing and retrieving. Being very careful, of course!!!!! ;)

Isn't it funny how your fellow passengers are so curious about the potty thing or; My second most asked question, "How did you get the dog onboard?" I answer, "In a very big suitcase!" I know, I know but, it's so hard to resist! :p

I'm sorry about the problems both with access and ramp issues. It's not a perfect world when it comes to walking with our SD's!!!!!! Especially in a foreign country......

What did Disney use for a filler in the potty box? And, I'm curious where they'd place the box, if you didn't have a veranda.

I'm glad that all-in-all you had a good cruise. We're looking forward to ours in September, onboard the Golden Princess to Alaska. We've already booked the White Pass Railway Excursion and can't wait. Next to cruising and car travel, we love trains.

Welcome back! What ship were you on? I love when everyone goes ashore and we have the ship virtually to ourselves. It's so much more fun to explore the ship when no one's around. That's the best time to find an empty lounge and do some serious ball throwing and retrieving. Being very careful, of course!!!!! ;)

Isn't it funny how your fellow passengers are so curious about the potty thing or; My second most asked question, "How did you get the dog onboard?" I answer, "In a very big suitcase!" I know, I know but, it's so hard to resist! :p

I'm sorry about the problems both with access and ramp issues. It's not a perfect world when it comes to walking with our SD's!!!!!! Especially in a foreign country......

What did Disney use for a filler in the potty box? And, I'm curious where they'd place the box, if you didn't have a veranda.

I'm glad that all-in-all you had a good cruise. We're looking forward to ours in September, onboard the Golden Princess to Alaska. We've already booked the White Pass Railway Excursion and can't wait. Next to cruising and car travel, we love trains.

We were on the Magic. There was sod in the pool. Sorry, but I didn't ask where the pool would have been if we didn't have a veranda.

Who did you contact? I contacted the Turks & Caicos U.S. ppl and the lady said just a health certificate is needed. Of course, if what you said is needed it won't be an issue because all that info. is on the health certificate anyway.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did not speak with anyone directly (it sounds like you did), just their veterinary and animal control unit. I got the conditions for importation and the application. I will forward the email or scan and send if you don't mind giving me an email address.

Kim and Keldon

Miriam,

So sorry to hear about your Finn. We will be thinking about you.

Kim and Keldon

First, sorry to everyone that I had to do 3 messages. I cannot master combining them when I have more than 1 quote!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have a few questions. Did you have a problem taking the dog into the butterfly farms? Is the short walk on St Thomas to the butterfly farm like a few blocks?

Re: Tortola did you get the feeling the vet would have come on board to check the paperwork whether you took the dog off or not? Also, what happened with the microchip? Did they question or read it with one of those readers? I got the new form from them and it did not have any place for id information like a microchip number?

Was the dog generally accepted in St Martin (like if you wanted to have lunch at one of the restaurants)?

Thanks for answering the questions.

Kim and Keldon

First, sorry to everyone that I had to do 3 messages. I cannot master combining them when I have more than 1 quote!

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have a few questions. Did you have a problem taking the dog into the butterfly farms? Is the short walk on St Thomas to the butterfly farm like a few blocks?

Re: Tortola did you get the feeling the vet would have come on board to check the paperwork whether you took the dog off or not? Also, what happened with the microchip? Did they question or read it with one of those readers? I got the new form from them and it did not have any place for id information like a microchip number?

Was the dog generally accepted in St Martin (like if you wanted to have lunch at one of the restaurants)?

Thanks for answering the questions.

Kim and Keldon

We had no problem at all taking Orson into the butterfly farm. The walk to the farm was equal to a few blocks. We could still see the ship from it. I got the feeling that the vet didn't care if we got off the ship or not. She never even touched any of the dogs. All she did was check the paperwork and stick her hand out for $20. Sorry, but we did not go to St. Martin.

For those of you who have lost your beloved dogs recently my heart goes out to you. They bring such joy to us. It can be hard just to keep going. I know I kept hearing the sound of those toe nails on the floor(click, click) and the jingle of tags. We thought after our last dog died that we were thru with pets. After all our kids were in college and we could just travel on a whim. After 6 months we looked at each other and agreed we needed a dog. So that is how Sandy came into our lives. Not only a dog, but a young puppy. We smiled more and laughed more those first few months. She brings us great joy.

Of course now I have a revolving door of Service dogs and pups in training, so we have PLENTY of canine time.

OK Now down to business. Does anyone know who got a phone call from CCI???? I DO!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! We leave Sunday, someone cancelled. We can't believe it!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cindy and John

Also anyone interested, you can go to CCI.org click on northeast reigon, then click on Graduation and one of those dogs in the pic is ours!!!!

PROBLEM: I had to go to the dentist today. It was about 90 degrees out....not too bad considering it was 103.

I drove up to the dentists office on Sunset Boulevard, I found a parking spot, on the street, about a block and a half away from the building. It's $10.00 to park in the building and Brenny and I both could use the walk and save the money. I parked, took Brenda out of the car and we proceeded to walk. As I got closer to the doctor's building I noticed that the sidewalk had turned into this "black slate" about 100 feet before we were to walk up the steps into the building.

By the way Brenda was walking I could tell that the ground must have been burning hot, she was hopping and not walking and, because I have mobility issues, I couldn't run. A gal who was walking beside me noticed the "pained" and "panicked" look on Brenda's face and started yelling and motioning to me to walk faster. My thought was to pick Brenda up but she weighs 70 pounds, there's no way I can do that!

Now, had I had those "booties", I could have put them on her feet.....but, where would I have stopped to do that? She wouldn't have been able to sit on this burning, hot slate and on and on and on..........We made our way up the steps and, I stopped inside the building's bathroom and put some cool compresses on her feet! She just looked at me with those big brown eyes, I felt so bad!!!!!!!

I can tell you that I will never walk on that sidewalk again, it wasn't worth the $10.00 savings, to see my Brenny's pained face.

What would you do? Good God, I've had Brenda for 7 years and have always been able to forestall such an occurance.......I felt like a very bad handler and even worse Mommy!!!!!! I guess people do not walk their dogs in front of this building!!!! :rolleyes:

Also, how do you tell if a dogs foot pads are burnt? Do I look for blisters?

Roz, We were walking with Rangeley and the same thing happened. We didn't even realize it right away, we thought he was just being wierd. I ran him to the water and cooled off his pads. Don't feel too bad, we did the same thing. A few years later we went to Vegas in August :(. We never went out walking during the day, we waited til night.

Cindy