Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Ok stupid question coming....... Do we need just a health certificate or "international" health certificate?

Cindy

You're going to the Bahamas, right? You need an int'l one then. It doesn't have to be stamped by the USDA office, though, as only some countries require that (not the Bahamas or the U.S./U.S. territories).

Don't worry, your vet will know/be able to look up all the info. as a USDA-certified vet. :) And, like Roz said, the certificate does say interstate and int'l travel, so they may be one and the same certificate anyway.

Quam: We live in a little town of about 15,000 people. We are about a hundred miles from anywhere in each direction. We do have a specific "Special Needs" teacher and classroom. She has a SD herself, but Biscuit is not there for the kids. I will go on their websites and see what is available.

Thanks,

Nancy

Therapy dogs are just ppl's pets that have been trained well enough to pass a therapy dog certification test, so they are everywhere. You never know, there could be somebody near you who is a transplant or who travelled to another town to get their dog certified - or there could even be a dog trainer in your town who does the testing (many pet dog trainers do this). I hope you find something! :)

BTW, for those going on Carnival: Carnival sells personalized doggy bandannas (and doggy tees)! http://carnival.victorydyo.com and go to where it says "CruiseDOG". They only have two designs, but you might think they are cute - a pirate doggy and a sleeping, dreaming doggy.

You can personalize the three lines of text however you want (size, placement, color, and what words you want). (You don't have to put your dog's name on it - for a service dog, I would recommend not doing it so ppl wouldn't try distracting your dog by calling its name.) At the bottom it has the CruiseDOG and Carnival logos. With shipping it is just over $25 (ouch!), but your doggy will have a cruise souvenir, too! :-)

I think I figured out my on-balcony potty area solution for my upcoming Carnival cruise. (Carnival only offers those horrid paper pellets - if you want anything else, they tell you that you have to bring it yourself.)

I was going to put this in a silicone tray (just like those silicone baking pans, but larger) until I realized it doesn't really need it and the tray would just be another expense and thing to bring on the trip (even though it would roll up). But I figured I'd post that idea in case anybody else wanted to try it.

Since I'm not using the tray, I'll place a cut-open garbage bag on the floor of the balcony to protect it just in case. I will place the super-absorbant doggy piddle pads (the kind with the polymer crystals in it) down. I will place kennel flooring tiles on top of the piddle pads (they are made to be a little off the floor so liquids can drain). And then I will place faux grass (antibacterially treated) on top of that. Voila! Doggy potty spot. It isn't the cheapest solution, but I think it will work best.

The kennel flooring is this/something like this: http://www.dri-dek.com/dog-kennel-flooring.html

So, anyway, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this since we had discussed it very recently.

HI Everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but have been keeping up with the thread. It is always so interesting to me to hear the ideas from you guys with service dogs.

I've been working with a now 5 month old puppy on a regular basis, while still working with the other dogs of various ages as well. My pup has been giving me some challenges, and his trainer and I are working thru them. I think he is very smart and will be a fabulous dog for someone one day. He does need to learn to crate better. I had another dog home that also had some crate anxiety and now going thru a tentative phase. Since I only had him one night I couldn't due to much. But we had a pretty good mall outing and a fabulous presentation for girl scout leaders.

For now, all service dogs are back at the farm and only my own best friends(husband and dog) are in the house. It is quiet...got some sleep.

Cleaned carpet today, so that I can bring home more friends in two weeks.

Hi All

Denver and I just wanted to stop by and say HI !!!!! We r sailing Disney in less than 2 weeks and are hoping for 24 access to the deck for the litter box without the assistance of a crew member .... we will keep you posted . They lock the deck from 7 pm to 7 am where the box is and you cant get out there without someone coming to unlock the door .... soooooo this cruise im asking it be open .... we will see :-)

how is everyone ? Denver and I are great .... ROZ we were in LA last weekend but no time to hook up so next time which will be in nov or Dec depending on if i have to have surgeru on my ankle/s or not . If i do though I will make it up there 1 more time before then .

How r everyones dogs doing ? I dont have much time to read the threads but i hope everyone and eyerypup is well !

Cari and Denver

we bring along a life jacket for the dog. It is 100% like her harnes that she wears, but a bit thicker so she thinks nothing of it when it is on. She wears it only to the muster drill as well. The commets we get are so funny. Just yet another picture another picture oppertunity for her!!

057_57.jpg.0f70915a4a2de056ffb34787ad7485a9.jpg

Who brings a life vest for their dog? Besides Roz who I know does.

Cindy

I do. I have a yellow one that is the kind with the extra floatation piece under the dog's head to help keep the head above water.

If you do bring one, remember to carry it on the plane and don't place anything on top of it, as you should never crush a life vest because it can lessen the buoyancy. (Haha, when I flew to the cruise last time, I felt compelled to tell the stewardess that the vest was for the cruise, not because I was worried about the plane, LOL!! :p)

We take a life jacket for Chewy. He wears it at the muster drill. My son puts Chewy's jacket on and then his own (with help) Works as a great social story to get my son to put his jacket on

For safety reasons, you should have your son put Chewy's life jacket on after your son has put his on, especially if your son has Autism so learns a certain routine. If he learns to put the dog's vest on first, in a real emergency that is what he might try to do, but he needs to put his own vest on first in a real emergency and then help the dog.

Now the cruise lines are doing away with having to bring the life vests to muster drill (yippie!), so I won't take my dog's life vest to the muster drill on my upcoming cruise like I did for the other one.

I think I figured out my on-balcony potty area solution for my upcoming Carnival cruise. (Carnival only offers those horrid paper pellets - if you want anything else, they tell you that you have to bring it yourself.)

I was going to put this in a silicone tray (just like those silicone baking pans, but larger) until I realized it doesn't really need it and the tray would just be another expense and thing to bring on the trip (even though it would roll up). But I figured I'd post that idea in case anybody else wanted to try it.

Since I'm not using the tray, I'll place a cut-open garbage bag on the floor of the balcony to protect it just in case. I will place the super-absorbant doggy piddle pads (the kind with the polymer crystals in it) down. I will place kennel flooring tiles on top of the piddle pads (they are made to be a little off the floor so liquids can drain). And then I will place faux grass (antibacterially treated) on top of that. Voila! Doggy potty spot. It isn't the cheapest solution, but I think it will work best.

The kennel flooring is this/something like this: http://www.dri-dek.com/dog-kennel-flooring.html

So, anyway, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this since we had discussed it very recently.

Quam: Thanks for sharing the bandana's info. [brenda wears one everyday, different colors, etc.] It helps a black dog to look more inviting with a color near her face.

Also, thanks for the information on the decking....I'm going to look into it.

Quam, if you have your own balcony, just ask the crew to place the box on it. Use the pellets as your base and place the grass on top of it.

That's what I'm going to do onboard the Splendor, in January.

I found the grass [although, my neighbors gave me a 5x5 piece, without being bacterially treated], while I was picking-up Brenda's food, yesterday, I saw rolls of treated, artificial grass on a shelf, at Kahootz Dog Store, in Chatsworth. I didn't look into the prices but I'm sure we can find it online. They had all different sizes and it was easily rolled-up, for carrying, etc.

I'm so glad to see that it's easy to get, at a pet store. For those of you who have not tried this stuff......It's a pure miracle!

For safety reasons, you should have your son put Chewy's life jacket on after your son has put his on, especially if your son has Autism so learns a certain routine. If he learns to put the dog's vest on first, in a real emergency that is what he might try to do, but he needs to put his own vest on first in a real emergency and then help the dog.

Now the cruise lines are doing away with having to bring the life vests to muster drill (yippie!), so I won't take my dog's life vest to the muster drill on my upcoming cruise like I did for the other one.

I think it's a good idea to have Brenda wear her life vest to the muster drill, even if they do away with bringing the one's.....I want the crew and all the passengers who can see her with it on realize what it looks like and how they ALL can assist in rescuing her......God forbid they ever have to!

She'd be the first one rescued in my book!!!!!!

Hi All

Denver and I just wanted to stop by and say HI !!!!! We r sailing Disney in less than 2 weeks and are hoping for 24 access to the deck for the litter box without the assistance of a crew member .... we will keep you posted . They lock the deck from 7 pm to 7 am where the box is and you cant get out there without someone coming to unlock the door .... soooooo this cruise im asking it be open .... we will see :-)

how is everyone ? Denver and I are great .... ROZ we were in LA last weekend but no time to hook up so next time which will be in nov or Dec depending on if i have to have surgeru on my ankle/s or not . If i do though I will make it up there 1 more time before then .

How r everyones dogs doing ? I dont have much time to read the threads but i hope everyone and eyerypup is well !

Cari and Denver

Cari, if I don't get a chance to talk to you before you leave....have a wonderful trip and a funfilled cruise.

Please talk to the Hotel Manager and make sure that he/she talks to the crew about leaving the door unlocked for our Denver!!!!!!

Maybe one day we'll cruise together. I'd love it. Take care of yourself and have fun.

Roz & Brenny

Quam: Thanks for sharing the bandana's info. [brenda wears one everyday, different colors, etc.] It helps a black dog to look more inviting with a color near her face.

Also, thanks for the information on the decking....I'm going to look into it.

No problem. I ended up ordering one of the Carnival bandannas - the blue pirate dog was too cute not to get! :) Instead of her name, I had it say "SERVICE DOG", plus the other two lines had to do with our cruise. I moved the text higher so it wasn't too close with the giant "CruiseDOG" logo on the bottom so the text is easier to read. I'm looking forward to getting it! I hope it is good quality for that price!

Quam, if you have your own balcony, just ask the crew to place the box on it. Use the pellets as your base and place the grass on top of it.

I do have a balcony, but I have no idea what the size of the box will be. When we went on Royal Caribbean, they promised a 4'x4' box but gave us a tiny 2'x2' box that my dog could barely fit in/turn around in! And she walks when she poops (does a little, walks, does a little more), so that tiny box just did not work for her. I'm making her "box" larger than I know the cruise line's box will be so that she will have a good amount of space. We have two sea days, plus may not spend much time on shore in the Bahamas (been there, done that), so I'd much rather her be comfortable by bringing my own sized "box" (sans an actual box, LOL).

That's what I'm going to do onboard the Splendor, in January.

I found the grass [although, my neighbors gave me a 5x5 piece, without being bacterially treated], while I was picking-up Brenda's food, yesterday, I saw rolls of treated, artificial grass on a shelf, at Kahootz Dog Store, in Chatsworth. I didn't look into the prices but I'm sure we can find it online. They had all different sizes and it was easily rolled-up, for carrying, etc.

I've never seen the grass at a pet store before, so that's really cool! I wonder if it is crazy-expensive like that grass in the "In the Company of Dogs" catalog is.

I'm so glad to see that it's easy to get, at a pet store. For those of you who have not tried this stuff......It's a pure miracle!

If only the cruise lines would see it that way!

HI Everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but have been keeping up with the thread. It is always so interesting to me to hear the ideas from you guys with service dogs.

I've been working with a now 5 month old puppy on a regular basis, while still working with the other dogs of various ages as well. My pup has been giving me some challenges, and his trainer and I are working thru them. I think he is very smart and will be a fabulous dog for someone one day. He does need to learn to crate better. I had another dog home that also had some crate anxiety and now going thru a tentative phase. Since I only had him one night I couldn't due to much. But we had a pretty good mall outing and a fabulous presentation for girl scout leaders.

For now, all service dogs are back at the farm and only my own best friends(husband and dog) are in the house. It is quiet...got some sleep.

Cleaned carpet today, so that I can bring home more friends in two weeks.

Enjoy your break time.....

I'm glad to hear that all's okay......I swear, my carpet, which is supposed to be tan looks more like a dark brown.....Oh! Not because it's dirty, just because, on a daily basis Brenda sheds so much, there's just no sense in vacumming everyday [something we used to do], I'm getting too old to do that anymore!

I have to share this with you guys [who else would understand?]

Morey and I went food shopping, yesterday. Standing outside the Von's market was a man selling something. Brenda had to go potty so I walked by him to go to the grassy area in front of the market. While I'm walking Brenda keeps pulling on the leash and I turn around to see what's wrong.... the man is calling her [i don't mean just making a whistle sound or snapping his fingers as some imbosiles will do] but, actually calling her name.....which totally distracted her from the job at hand!

I then realize that Brenda is wearing her CCI Name Badge, attached to her vest, which gives her name and the service she performs. I hate that badge and have been meaning to remove it from this vest for a long time. It's attached with super glue and I knew it would take some working to get it off but I keep forgetting to do it! She has another vest and I usually use that one when we're out in the public. It doesn't say anything on it except ["Please don't pet me I'm working"]

I turned, corrected Brenda and kept walking towards the grass. When we walked back, to go into the store, I walked quickly without giving the man any eye contact and he started calling her again. I wanted to punch his light out!!!!!! :mad:

Some days, I just want to go about my business without anyone stopping me and asking me questions......I especially don't want ANY BODY distracting my Service Dog, in any way!

Do any of you have your dogs name on anything he/she might wear out in public?

Thanks for letting me share this.........

Do any of you have your dogs name on anything he/she might wear out in public?

Nope, for just that reason that you encountered. It is bad enough that some ppl bark at our dogs or make kissy noises/snap their fingers at them or do drive-by pettings or scream out, "Pupppppyyyyyy!!!!" I do tell ppl her real name when they ask nicely, though; I'm just not one to lie about that like I know some ppl do. Whenever others do something, it is a good time for the "leave it!" command - such a lifesaver!

Does your state have a law where distracting a service dog is a crime? If so, you could always mention it to ppl who keep harrassing your dog like the guy outside the store did to poor Brenda.

Edited by Quampapetet

Nope, for just that reason that you encountered. It is bad enough that some ppl bark at our dogs or make kissy noises/snap their fingers at them or do drive-by pettings or scream out, "Pupppppyyyyyy!!!!" I do tell ppl her real name when they ask nicely, though; I'm just not one to lie about that like I know some ppl do. Whenever others do something, it is a good time for the "leave it!" command - such a lifesaver!

Does your state have a law where distracting a service dog is a crime? If so, you could always mention it to ppl who keep harrassing your dog like the guy outside the store did to poor Brenda.

Quam, yes, we do have a law about abuse and theft of a Service Dog, I'm, not sure how the law relates to distracting one.

And, I am finding myself using the "leave it" command a lot these days. I don't know if it's just me losing my patience with people or it's just people who are more enticed by a Service Dog in their environment.

I know they mean well, it's just a huge task to keep her on task, when people distract her.

I'm doing a demonstration, in a church in our area, on the first of November and I'm going to start my demo. by reminding the kind folks that they should NEVER distract a working dog.

Quam, yes, we do have a law about abuse and theft of a Service Dog, I'm, not sure how the law relates to distracting one.

It might not. Not all states have the same laws, so your state might not have one about interfering with the work of a service dog. I know one lady who used her state's law when a group of teenagers wouldn't stop harrassing her service dog and the cop gave all the teens tickets! Hopefully they learned their lesson from that.

And, I am finding myself using the "leave it" command a lot these days. I don't know if it's just me losing my patience with people or it's just people who are more enticed by a Service Dog in their environment.

Not so much losing your patience as now that you're used to having an SD, you know how bad it is to have her distracted. Absolutely nothing wrong with that (except for the ppl doing the distracting, of course)! Ppl need to know that if they distract a service dog, they could cause the owner to be injured.

I know they mean well, it's just a huge task to keep her on task, when people distract her.

I'm doing a demonstration, in a church in our area, on the first of November and I'm going to start my demo. by reminding the kind folks that they should NEVER distract a working dog.

Yes, please do!!!!! Remind them all the things they should not do, like call to the dog, make kissy sounds to the dog, bark at the dog, pet the dog, feed the dog/offer to treat the dog, talk to/at the dog, scare the dog, etc.

I was looking for synthetic grass to bring on the cruise as a doggy potty and I came across this site that has several sizes of antimicrobially-treated grass mats that are good for such a use:

2' x 3'

3' x 5'

4' x 6'

They have flow-through backing (not solid backing with little holes punched every 4" like some faux grasses have) for drainage. You can get them with bound edges (so they don't fall apart at the edges I think - they are bound like some rugs are) or pay less for unbound edges. According to the Web site, they are washable, portable, durable, antimicrobial, drainable, and soft.

Custom sizes are available, too.

The parent company is called Forever Lawn, Inc. and they have installers around the country, so you can also inquire with your local installer about this stuff (and also the K9Grass you can install instead of having real grass for a lawn or to put down as flooring in a dog playroom/training center/kennel/daycare, if you'd like).

They are having 10% off until the end of November on these new mats.

Their site is http://www.k9grass.com/grassmats.html .

They aren't the cheapest things, but since they are reusable, you could make them worth the cost. (Especially somebody like Roz who goes on a hundred cruises a year, haha!) You could use them on top of the box the cruise gives you or bring your own box (fill it with sand/dirt/mulch or use potty pads) or put potty pads under it.

I had a good experience talking with my local rep from this company via e-mail, so I figured I would pass on the info. for these grass mats, especially since we have been talking about potty solutions on here.

Quam: Thanks so much for the "grass" information. It may seem simple but it's so important, when traveling on a cruise ship.

I have been busy going back and forth on another thread. On Carnival Cruises there is a thread about "bed bugs", well, all was going as threads do; up and down and all around, until a gal who has a Service Dog, started talking about how the person who was in the cabin before may have had a Service Dog and brought in the bug on its fur.

Don't ask, I went ballistic, to say the least. All we need is someone to start a thread about our Service Dogs bringing in bugs to the cabins.

And, she has a Service Dog and even touts how her SD sleeps in bed with her.

You guys know me.....I wasn't light on her. And, admonished her for even suggesting such a thing to the public......It's been a hard enough struggle to get our dogs on cruise ships and she starts this? :(

Do service dogs get to go into port with you?

Absolutely! We're very careful to watch for any strays that may be in the area. Most foreign ports do not have the leash laws that we have in the U.S. And, of course, there are some places I wouldn't want her to go to. Such as the dog kennels in Alaska or the whale watching boat in Cabo.

We once had an armed guard who walked us through a foreign port, in protection of my dog. It was a bit over the top.

If there were any doubt about the port, the SD could be left in the cabin. Carnival provides a door sign that reads, "Please do not enter, Service Dog Inside." We have NEVER left Brenda on any of our cruises. If she can't go comfortably with us, we don't go! She's part of me and, honestly, I can't imagine my world without her. [That's a whole nother issue.]

On Celebrity the assistant Cruise Director asked if he could watch Brenda, while we went ashore.

People are mostly wonderful and very gracious towards Service Dogs.

Only occasionally do we run into fellow passengers, either on a cruise ship or aiplane, including a crew member, who absolutely want nothing to do with her! We try very hard to stay away from people who don't like dogs or who have allergies.

Quam: Thanks so much for the "grass" information. It may seem simple but it's so important, when traveling on a cruise ship.

Yeah, our dogs don't need to be crossing their legs all week just waiting to see a speck of land on the horizon!! :D

I have been busy going back and forth on another thread. On Carnival Cruises there is a thread about "bed bugs", well, all was going as threads do; up and down and all around, until a gal who has a Service Dog, started talking about how the person who was in the cabin before may have had a Service Dog and brought in the bug on its fur.

I saw that thread earlier, but either before the service dogs came into it or I didn't read the whole thread (it is ICKY, LOL! Photos of bites and bugs!!). Why on EARTH would she suggest that, though?! I don't know if bed bugs bother furry dogs, since the articles say they only bite uncovered skin (if they're not going to crawl under PJs, I doubt they'd crawl through dog fur/hair), but even if the topic was fleas why would another service dog owner even suggest it was from a service dog?!

Don't ask, I went ballistic, to say the least. All we need is someone to start a thread about our Service Dogs bringing in bugs to the cabins.

Seriously. I would not put it past this message board to have that happen. :mad:

And, she has a Service Dog and even touts how her SD sleeps in bed with her.

You'd think somebody with a service dog would help to refute such an allegation, not be the first to voice it! Nothing wrong with a service dog sleeping in bed with their partner, though (or their partner's husband, for your pup).

You guys know me.....I wasn't light on her. And, admonished her for even suggesting such a thing to the public......It's been a hard enough struggle to get our dogs on cruise ships and she starts this? :(

That is just maddening! I will check out the thread while I am over in that area tonight. Thanks for the heads up, though I'm not sure I want to read what some folks have to say....