Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I'm in tears of happiness and relief!!! GOD BLESS THIS THREAD!!!!

My daughter plans to take a service dog on the CONQUEST in Jan/Feb. And this is great!!! I didn't know this thread existed and I asked the cruise director on our last CONQUEST cruise lots of questions and he kept calling someone asking for answers...

Welcome to the thread! I'm glad you found it, I assume via the Carnival board's thread about dogs on board cruise ships. :)

No, we won't do excursions... Or at least Mom won't. She's wheelchair bound and LOVES to stay onboard in ports... The uneven streets and lack of curb cuts in most places make it un-navigable or difficult. I've taken her off in Cozumel, but only for a short time. The crowds are a problem for her too!

It depends on the port, but some are more accessible than others. Some may have accessible excursions you can book, too.

DD is training the dog. I will tell her about training Takoda to use a box with pellets. Takoda is a red husky. I can just imagine how he would love an Alaskan cruise -- but this one will go to Caribbean... :confused:

Do realize that in order for the dog to go on the cruise it has to be fully trained, not a service dog in training. Also, you can bring your own substance/faux grass to use for a potty on Carnival (to either place on top of the pellets Carnival gives or to use with doggy potty pads in your own "box") if you don't want to use those pellets (which I have seen at Petco and they are definitely not something my dog would use, not something I would want her to use, and would get stuck between her paws). I'm bringing faux grass (scraps from my regional installer of K9Grass/Forever Lawn grass - I just had to pay shipping!) and potty pads.

I'll tell DD about this thread.... I've only read thru the first 20 posts...

GOD BLESS each of you who have taken the time to share and help!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

It'll be great to have her come join us on this thread! :D

Nancy, I wish we could have seen a pic of Jezzy Lou with her devil horns on. Wexy doesn't mind having a costume on, in fact he wore it all day. Unfortunately he's been up since midnight with diarrhea. Well I should say we have all been up since midnight. He stayed home from school today with me and Bailee. I just took him out and he didn't go, so thats a good sign. If he goes again, I'll call the vet.

DKD, Thanks for the info. Seems you are the only one of us who has gone to a private island with the dog. I'm not sure wether someone is there to check things or not, but we will have the permit with us anyway. Do you have an email for the Bahamas person? There is no email on the form.

Quam, I'm not sure when we mailed the Bahamas form. It's been a while. If I understand correctly we have to have the health cert before we fill out the Turk form?? Thats crazy! I'm getting very stressed with this dog stuff. I'm not sure if Wexy is going on anymore cruises after this one!:eek:

Lambknuckles, Welcome to our little world. We will help you in anyway we can, well I might not be the one to help, since I'm the one asking for help!

Cindy

DKD, Thanks for the info. Seems you are the only one of us who has gone to a private island with the dog. I'm not sure wether someone is there to check things or not, but we will have the permit with us anyway. Do you have an email for the Bahamas person? There is no email on the form.

Cindy

Cindy,

I will check my e-mail when I get home tonight. Hopefully I still have one of the e-mails he sent me.

Nancy, I wish we could have seen a pic of Jezzy Lou with her devil horns on. Wexy doesn't mind having a costume on, in fact he wore it all day. Unfortunately he's been up since midnight with diarrhea. Well I should say we have all been up since midnight. He stayed home from school today with me and Bailee. I just took him out and he didn't go, so thats a good sign. If he goes again, I'll call the vet.

Quam, I'm not sure when we mailed the Bahamas form. It's been a while. If I understand correctly we have to have the health cert before we fill out the Turk form?? Thats crazy! I'm getting very stressed with this dog stuff. I'm not sure if Wexy is going on anymore cruises after this one!:eek:

Lambknuckles, Welcome to our little world. We will help you in anyway we can, well I might not be the one to help, since I'm the one asking for help!

Cindy

Cindy: Rice, Rice, Rice.....Mix it into his food, a heaping tablespoon full. Until the diarrhea is gone. He'll love it. I just mix it with Brenda's kibble. It's the cure. I keep a baggie-full in the freezer, just for those occasions. I microwave the amount I need [just to thaw it out] mix it well into her kibble and, it's good to go.

Cindy, I'm telling you not to stress this paperwork stuff so much. Have the "State-Department of Food and Agriculture" Certificate for Interstate Movement of Small Animals" filled in and signed by your Vet along with a copy of your Drivers License; Dog Tag City License; copy of Vet check-up; CCI's Permit Card (copy of both the front and back); IAADP Membership Card [if you have one] and, your good to go! You will not be stopped or have your animal conviscated! This paperwork has everything they need to know about your dog and, they'll be very impressed with all of this. You've already got all that you will need.

And, I love Wexy's costume.

Lambie: Welcome! We're so glad to have you, your mom and your daughter.....and, especially "Takoda!"

Carnival is the only one who uses the "paper pellets", they're awful. Especially on Labs [they have webbed toes] and this stuff hurts to step on. I am also bringing a roll of artificial turf to cover the pellets and I'll let the urine drip to the pellets and just pick-up the waste.

Cruising with a Service Dog is a wonderfully delightful way to travel. I could NEVER go a cruise without one, again!!!!

Brenda will be on her 13th cruise in January.....and, we're all looking forward to it.

Nancy: You are so funny! Brenny wore a really colorful collar with pumpkins on it.....she was so cute! I bought it from one of the previous sights I told you guys about.

I bring all of Brenda's collars with us, when we cruise and I change her into a different one everyday.

I have formal pictures of Brenda, taken onboard the Golden, in Alaska, that are so beautful. The photographer was a little relunctant, on formal night, to just shoot Brenda but he did it! And the poses are gorgeous, with her colorful collar on! I promised him that I would buy every one of them and I did!!!!!

When we walked over to where the pictures were, other passengers were holding her pictures and showing them to other people. I practically had to buy the pictures from them! Everyone loved them!

Cindy: Don't forget to get profressional pictures of Wex, on formal night! And, since he's black, like Brenny, put a collar or kerchief around his neck so that his face will stand out! ;)

Roz , I was going to ask about the formal night pics. I'm glad that they will take some for us. Luckily Wex hasn't gone since this morning around 6. I've given him half his food and it seems to be settling well. I know about the rice and if he continued to go more today I would have given him some. But he seems better, I'll find out next time he goes :eek:

Cindy

Roz , I was going to ask about the formal night pics. I'm glad that they will take some for us. Luckily Wex hasn't gone since this morning around 6. I've given him half his food and it seems to be settling well. I know about the rice and if he continued to go more today I would have given him some. But he seems better, I'll find out next time he goes :eek:

Cindy

I should have known you'd know the "cure!" Honestly, I learned about the rice thing on this site, when Brenda was having a tummy issue and I couldn't seem to get her well.

The vet wanted to give her shots and he wanted me to bring her into his office for I.V. fluids but not once did he suggest "rice!" You guys did and after rice with every meal she was feeling well again, by the next morning and was her perky self by the next afternoon, without the Vets intervention and all the meds and shots he wanted to give her!!!!

Of course, had the diarrhea continued on, I would have had no choice but to go to the hospital with her.....but, the most common thing and the least invasive worked for her. We really got lucky and have found so much help, on this board, from all of you.

That includes using Benadryl for her allergy problems, when the Vet wanted to use Prednisone......we tried the Prednisone once and it almost killed her.....then, I came to you guys, with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart, you got me through it and she's still on the Benadryl and doing so much better than she was.

I love her Vet, he's a great guy but just like with the Pediatrician for the kids......I use my good sense first and, if all else fails, it's off to the Vet.

I truly treasure all the advice I've received from this site......YOU guys are the best! :)

[/color][/size][/font]

Welcome to the thread! I'm glad you found it, I assume via the Carnival board's thread about dogs on board cruise ships. :)

It depends on the port, but some are more accessible than others. Some may have accessible excursions you can book, too.

Do realize that in order for the dog to go on the cruise it has to be fully trained, not a service dog in training. Also, you can bring your own substance/faux grass to use for a potty on Carnival (to either place on top of the pellets Carnival gives or to use with doggy potty pads in your own "box") if you don't want to use those pellets (which I have seen at Petco and they are definitely not something my dog would use, not something I would want her to use, and would get stuck between her paws). I'm bringing faux grass (scraps from my regional installer of K9Grass/Forever Lawn grass - I just had to pay shipping!) and potty pads.

It'll be great to have her come join us on this thread! :D

I didn't know that a Srvice Dog in Training can't go... I need to be sure she sees this!!! THX!!

TYVM for the welcome!! I'm not sure if she'll get over here right away. She has a mind and will of her own... :rolleyes:

AND YES!!! I did see this because of the dog on board thread!!! :D

Cindy

TY!!! I truly feel welcomed here!!! WOW!!! Y'all are GREAT!!!!

Cindy: Rice, Rice, Rice.....Mix it into his food, a heaping tablespoon full. Until the diarrhea is gone. He'll love it. I just mix it with Brenda's kibble. It's the cure. I keep a baggie-full in the freezer, just for those occasions. I microwave the amount I need [just to thaw it out] mix it well into her kibble and, it's good to go.

Cindy, I'm telling you not to stress this paperwork stuff so much. Have the "State-Department of Food and Agriculture" Certificate for Interstate Movement of Small Animals" filled in and signed by your Vet along with a copy of your Drivers License; Dog Tag City License; copy of Vet check-up; CCI's Permit Card (copy of both the front and back); IAADP Membership Card [if you have one] and, your good to go! You will not be stopped or have your animal conviscated! This paperwork has everything they need to know about your dog and, they'll be very impressed with all of this. You've already got all that you will need.

And, I love Wexy's costume.

Lambie: Welcome! We're so glad to have you, your mom and your daughter.....and, especially "Takoda!"

Carnival is the only one who uses the "paper pellets", they're awful. Especially on Labs [they have webbed toes] and this stuff hurts to step on. I am also bringing a roll of artificial turf to cover the pellets and I'll let the urine drip to the pellets and just pick-up the waste.

Cruising with a Service Dog is a wonderfully delightful way to travel. I could NEVER go a cruise without one, again!!!!

Brenda will be on her 13th cruise in January.....and, we're all looking forward to it.....

;)

I should have known you'd know the "cure!" Honestly, I learned about the rice thing on this site, when Brenda was having a tummy issue and I couldn't seem to get her well.

The vet wanted to give her shots and he wanted me to bring her into his office for I.V. fluids but not once did he suggest "rice!" You guys did and after rice with every meal she was feeling well again, by the next morning and was her perky self by the next afternoon, without the Vets intervention and all the meds and shots he wanted to give her!!!!

Of course, had the diarrhea continued on, I would have had no choice but to go to the hospital with her.....but, the most common thing and the least invasive worked for her. We really got lucky and have found so much help, on this board, from all of you.

That includes using Benadryl for her allergy problems, when the Vet wanted to use Prednisone......we tried the Prednisone once and it almost killed her.....then, I came to you guys, with tears in my eyes and a heavy heart, you got me through it and she's still on the Benadryl and doing so much better than she was.

I love her Vet, he's a great guy but just like with the Pediatrician for the kids......I use my good sense first and, if all else fails, it's off to the Vet.

I truly treasure all the advice I've received from this site......YOU guys are the best! :)

TY for the welcome!!! Our Schatzie, the black doxie, takes benedryl (or the WalMart generic) everyday!!! He has terrible allergies!!! Handles it well. I wrap it i a piece of cheese and it's gulped down!!!

And we too use rice in the dog food. Sometimes I'll make the food myself with rice as a base, and lamb or chicken bones for broth flavoring, and add carrots! Schatzie LOVES carrots!!!! But the rice is great for him and his "runs..."

He stayed home from school today with me and Bailee. I just took him out and he didn't go, so thats a good sign. If he goes again, I'll call the vet.

Don't feed him until all the diarrhea has stopped. Then, feed him a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and rice. That will help his body. After a few feedings of that, you should be okay to feed him like normal again. (If he starts up again, definitely take him to the vet!)

Do you have an email for the Bahamas person? There is no email on the form.

tourism [at] batelnet [dot] bs (Note: The last time I e-mailed them was back in '06, so I am not certain the e-mail address is still valid. But, they can tell you whether or not your permit has been mailed yet. If it has been mailed and you never got it, they can have it faxed to you at no charge.)

Yes, you get the health certificate from the vet and then apply for the Turks & Caicos import permit. (You send Turks & Caicos the health certificate, rabies certificate, and import permit application form.) I'm not sure why they do it that way, but I guess it is so they don't have to take the time sending back incomplete applications/denying permits when ppl did not do it correctly.

Please don't get too stressed out about this; it will all work out! It is not as difficult as it sounds. And once you are on the ship, the purser takes care of clearing the dog to get off the ship as you dock in each port (just like they clear the passengers to get off the ship), so there won't be anything more you need to do once you are on vacation! :)

I did ask the USDA about the stamp and it is true that vets do not have stamps, only the USDA regional offices for when they officially endorse health certificates. So, I have another e-mail in to the Turks & Caicos guy to ask what he wants us to do - just USDA-accredited vet signed or both vet signed and USDA office stamped. I expect to hear from him in the morning on that.

My USDA office said they actually prefer ppl to mail in the health certificates (which you can do via overnight mail - and you have to include a paid return overnight mailer so they can send it back) instead of come to the office in person, but if I do want to do it in person (which I do), I would have to make an app't to do so as they do not have a walk-in service. Your USDA office might be different, so check with them if we do indeed need to get the health certificate stamped by them.

They did say that if I need it stamped by them, I would likely need to have proof in writing that the Turks & Caicos is accepting the modified requirements (since the USDA stamp is to ensure that everything is correct and fits the requirements of the destination country - they do not see the dog, they just make sure the paperwork is in order). I have a question in to them about if the e-mail from the Turks & Caicos vet is good enough or if I'd need to get something more official. They also said I might have to sign a waiver that says I understand that if we are not accepted, the dog may be put in quarrantine. (For a ship, that would just mean we wouldn't be able to get off at that port.)

I'm sure you have already answered this, but I forget - what kind of potty box is your cruiseline providing? Did they state the size?

Edited by Quampapetet

I didn't know that a Srvice Dog in Training can't go... I need to be sure she sees this!!! THX!!

You would have found out when Carnival sent you the form to sign (for your daughter to sign if she is an adult) that says you consent to their rules. The form states service dogs in training are not allowed.

TYVM for the welcome!! I'm not sure if she'll get over here right away. She has a mind and will of her own... :rolleyes:

AND YES!!! I did see this because of the dog on board thread!!! :D

Well, tell her this is a fun thread and she'll get to talk about what I'll bet is one of her favorite subjects: her dog! :D

Our Schatzie, the black doxie, takes benedryl (or the WalMart generic) everyday!!! He has terrible allergies!!! Handles it well. I wrap it i a piece of cheese and it's gulped down!!!

My dog loves cheese, too! We're a household of cheese lovers, so she gets to have little pieces/tastings of different cheeses sometimes. Makes her happy!

And we too use rice in the dog food. Sometimes I'll make the food myself with rice as a base, and lamb or chicken bones for broth flavoring, and add carrots! Schatzie LOVES carrots!!!! But the rice is great for him and his "runs..."

Hopefully you mean you just stick the bones in the broth when you cook it/warm it up, not that you give the dog the actual bones. Cooked bones can and do kill dogs when eaten! They splinter, creating sharp shards/edges, and injure the dog's insides. Hopefully everybody here knows (or now knows) to never give a cooked bone to a dog (with the exception of one certain slow-cook process that only one or two canned dog food manufacturers use - I wouldn't try it at home, though). :)

Carrots are good for dogs, as they are healthy and don't put weight on. They make good training treats!

And rice, yup, it "stops you up" so to speak.... :o

[/color][/size][/font]

Hopefully you mean you just stick the bones in the broth when you cook it/warm it up, not that you give the dog the actual bones. Cooked bones can and do kill dogs when eaten! They splinter, creating sharp shards/edges, and injure the dog's insides. Hopefully everybody here knows (or now knows) to never give a cooked bone to a dog (with the exception of one certain slow-cook process that only one or two canned dog food manufacturers use - I wouldn't try it at home, though). :)

Carrots are good for dogs, as they are healthy and don't put weight on. They make good training treats!

And rice, yup, it "stops you up" so to speak.... :o

OH YES!!!!! Bones just to make a broth flavoring!!! Not to give to the pups!!!! TY!!! :o

Evening all:

Welcome Lambie. These guys are great! Hang around, I don't have a SD, I worked with special needs kids and love animals, thats how I stumbled onto this thread. We talk about just about anything! Usually get some cruise talk included.

[/color][/size][/font]

My dog loves cheese, too! We're a household of cheese lovers, so she gets to have little pieces/tastings of different cheeses sometimes. Makes her happy!

:o

I swear, Reno and now Jezzy can hear a string cheese rapper open from a mile away! Of course I have to share. At least Jezzys' portions are alot smaller than Reno's were. I would trade that larger "bite" to give to him again, any day! :(

My vet actually gave me a copy of the recipe with the rice to give to Jezzy. I think she has a nervous stomach because when I tried to feed her plain dog food after that, she would get the runs again. So, now I give her 1/4 cup of rice with dry food and canned food. It sounds like alot, but each is only about a quarter c. She is doing great, poops, poops and more poops!

Nancy

Evening all:

Welcome Lambie. These guys are great! Hang around, I don't have a SD, I worked with special needs kids and love animals, thats how I stumbled onto this thread. We talk about just about anything! Usually get some cruise talk included.

I swear, Reno and now Jezzy can hear a string cheese rapper open from a mile away! Of course I have to share. At least Jezzys' portions are alot smaller than Reno's were. I would trade that larger "bite" to give to him again, any day! :(

My vet actually gave me a copy of the recipe with the rice to give to Jezzy. I think she has a nervous stomach because when I tried to feed her plain dog food after that, she would get the runs again. So, now I give her 1/4 cup of rice with dry food and canned food. It sounds like alot, but each is only about a quarter c. She is doing great, poops, poops and more poops!

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy...

I'll pop in here... I stay pretty busy, but as you can see I also post a lot!!! I volunteer a lot and serve on our United Way board. I've volunteered with families of children with special needs... and my DD was born with a birth defect too! But it was corrected with surgery and she only has a a small scar. But we work with and talk to families of kiddos who were born the same...

Mom is in a wheelchair and just did shoulder replacement. I'm praying she comes home from the Health Rehab Center tomorrow!!!

I had my husband and Mom both in wheelchairs for a bit... but lost Howard almost five years ago from liver cancer...

TMI... sorry I've rambled...

GOOD NIGHT!!!!

DKD, Thanks anyway, Quam gave me some email that I will try.

Quam, Wexys problem seems to be ok today. He had alittle food with rice in it last night and this morning. Hopefully this is all behind us, :eek: hahahaha. Unfortunately we will be doing the health cert the week of New Years, we leave on Friday so if I can't get the stamp I'm not going to worry. I guess we will get the cert and fax to the turk guy. Maybe he can have the permit waiting for us when we get there, if not, we will just stay on the ship. I am not sure of the size potty box we will have but John requested some kind of mulch or wood chips. Thats mainly what Wexy uses around here. And the boxes at CCI are mulch.

Roz, You are the one who started this thread. You are the queen of info, well you and Quam. We are just trying to put our two cents in. If I've ever written anything to help someone else, I'm thrilled!! It's because of you that we are taking our Wexy on this cruise. We have helped eachother through life and death, and I appreciate each and everyone one of you!

Nancy, Wex has this thing with plastic or foil type bags. We have a bag of "canine carryouts" in one of those foil ziplock bags. He gets one treat broken in half every night, and he KNOWS that sound. He comes running! I could put a poop bag in my pocket and he will want to see it. Strange fetish. As far as Reno goes, he's getting all the string cheese he wants and is running around with Rangeley, having a grand ole time!! Ok tears now, thats enough.

Cindy

My little "foster-pup" is getting so big. He is almost as tall as my yellow lab and he is only five months. Hopefully he and I will have some sucessful outings today, he did well last week when I took him out with his trainers. Now, he is making himself at home. Made a bee line for the toy basket and has brought most of the stuffed animals out for me.

Off to vote in the local election, then to MIL for a puppy visit and some chores for me, then tonight if we are up to it we are going to a post election hopefully celebration. I told my husband that we either need two cars or be ready to leave with me if my little guy wears out.

My cruise is less than a month away! Yea!!!!!!

DKD, Thanks anyway, Quam gave me some email that I will try.

Quam, Wexys problem seems to be ok today. He had alittle food with rice in it last night and this morning. Hopefully this is all behind us, :eek: hahahaha. Unfortunately we will be doing the health cert the week of New Years, we leave on Friday so if I can't get the stamp I'm not going to worry. I guess we will get the cert and fax to the turk guy. Maybe he can have the permit waiting for us when we get there, if not, we will just stay on the ship. I am not sure of the size potty box we will have but John requested some kind of mulch or wood chips. Thats mainly what Wexy uses around here. And the boxes at CCI are mulch.

Roz, You are the one who started this thread. You are the queen of info, well you and Quam. We are just trying to put our two cents in. If I've ever written anything to help someone else, I'm thrilled!! It's because of you that we are taking our Wexy on this cruise. We have helped eachother through life and death, and I appreciate each and everyone one of you!

Nancy, Wex has this thing with plastic or foil type bags. We have a bag of "canine carryouts" in one of those foil ziplock bags. He gets one treat broken in half every night, and he KNOWS that sound. He comes running! I could put a poop bag in my pocket and he will want to see it. Strange fetish. As far as Reno goes, he's getting all the string cheese he wants and is running around with Rangeley, having a grand ole time!! Ok tears now, thats enough.

Cindy

Cindy, I have learned so much from so many of you and am so, so grateful that the moderator's keep this thread on the front page.......We all have shared some very emotional, heartwarming, learning and funny moments with each other and it's been so rewarding.

You getting Wexy and sharing the waiting and frustration with us was so moving and the pictures of John and Wexy during Team Training were priceless, and were some of the very best times.

Meeting Cari and Denver will always be special to me.

Losing Rangely and Reno and sharing with Miriam some of her loses were very moving to all of us. We all cried with each other.....it's an amazing thing to do over the internet!

I, personally, have loved every story of travel from every one of you....thank you all for sharing them with us.

We truly are THERE for each other and that's a wonderful thing!!!!!

I've beaten my mind to a pulp!!! Many of you with member of the family who have been in rehab centers may understand... but this was my first attempt...

I'm trying to get Mom out of the Health Care Center / nursing home / Rehab Center ... she had shoulder replacement on 9/23...

Well her surgeon requested a discharge on Monday afternoon... I turned the request in at 2:30 PM... The office failed to give it to the Social Worker / Discharge planner, so it couldn't be done today... all I got was excuses and a bad facts...

And tomorrow at 3pm, I have to take off and be there for the discharge planning... That's when I'll hear THEIR decision... THEIR doctor has to approve it????? What about Mom's doctor???

SORRY, I was so bummed when I got home... I had to decompress and relax... Now I am better!!!!

SO HOW'S life with the dogs??? :D

Schatzie, as I type, is giving me lick-kisses on my leg!!! And Takoda and Tala are in the kitchen... He loves her. She has him trained to stay by her side until she releases him, then he RUNS - LOPES - CHARGES into here and gives me kisses and naughty teething bites... My toes will soon be nubs!!!!

OK... I think it's time for shut eye!!! Bless you and THANK YOU!!!!

Quam, Wexys problem seems to be ok today. He had alittle food with rice in it last night and this morning. Hopefully this is all behind us, :eek: hahahaha.

LOL! What a "crappy" joke, hahaha. ;) Very funny!

Unfortunately we will be doing the health cert the week of New Years, we leave on Friday so if I can't get the stamp I'm not going to worry. I guess we will get the cert and fax to the turk guy. Maybe he can have the permit waiting for us when we get there, if not, we will just stay on the ship.

I heard from him yesterday morning (sorry, did get on this board 'til now) and he said the USDA office would have to stamp the certificate. I haven't done the USDA stamp before, so don't know about their hours during the holidays, but I've not had an issue getting an app't at my vet's for the day or two after New Year's Day (for health certificates, which only two of the vets there are accredited to do). I make my app'ts early, though - have already made mine for my upcoming two trips (Bahamas and the cruise). Do call your local USDA office and see what their schedule is like during the holidays. The health certificate for Grand Turk can be up to 30 days old, so you don't have to do it the week before the cruise. Like I said, my local USDA office said they actually prefer ppl to mail in the paperwork for the stamp, so if your office is the same way, that works well for you.

You do have to have the import permit on you before you leave on the cruise; the Grand Turk guy did say that in a previous e-mail.

I am not sure of the size potty box we will have but John requested some kind of mulch or wood chips. Thats mainly what Wexy uses around here. And the boxes at CCI are mulch.

That's a good surface. Hopefully they give you a decent-sized box! You might want to call them and make sure of that (although what the office says and what the ship does can be two different things).

Nancy, Wex has this thing with plastic or foil type bags. We have a bag of "canine carryouts" in one of those foil ziplock bags. He gets one treat broken in half every night, and he KNOWS that sound. He comes running! I could put a poop bag in my pocket and he will want to see it. Strange fetish.

Sounds like my girl with kitchen sounds. She can be in a deep sleep, but if she hears the sound of the refrigerator door open (that little suction noise it makes as it breaks the seal), she'll pop up and be at the fridge in a few seconds, LOL! Crazy foodaholic doggies!! :rolleyes:

I've beaten my mind to a pulp!!! Many of you with member of the family who have been in rehab centers may understand... but this was my first attempt...

I'm trying to get Mom out of the Health Care Center / nursing home / Rehab Center ... she had shoulder replacement on 9/23...

Well her surgeon requested a discharge on Monday afternoon... I turned the request in at 2:30 PM... The office failed to give it to the Social Worker / Discharge planner, so it couldn't be done today... all I got was excuses and a bad facts...

And tomorrow at 3pm, I have to take off and be there for the discharge planning... That's when I'll hear THEIR decision... THEIR doctor has to approve it????? What about Mom's doctor???

SORRY, I was so bummed when I got home... I had to decompress and relax... Now I am better!!!!

SO HOW'S life with the dogs??? :D

Schatzie, as I type, is giving me lick-kisses on my leg!!! And Takoda and Tala are in the kitchen... He loves her. She has him trained to stay by her side until she releases him, then he RUNS - LOPES - CHARGES into here and gives me kisses and naughty teething bites... My toes will soon be nubs!!!!

OK... I think it's time for shut eye!!! Bless you and THANK YOU!!!!

Lambie, I can't be much help with your Mom's discharge issues but I totally understand and send my best wishes to you in your frustration moments. I hope it all works out for you and your mom.

I helped to care for both of my parents before they passed and sometimes it was a "daily" struggle and very difficult for all of us!

Aren't dogs wonderful....they don't stress or hold on to anger or angry feelings....so much smarter than we are!

Now, if we could only learn to "live in the moment", we'd all be so much saner!

Lambie, I can't be much help with your Mom's discharge issues but I totally understand and send my best wishes to you in your frustration moments. I hope it all works out for you and your mom.

I helped to care for both of my parents before they passed and sometimes it was a "daily" struggle and very difficult for all of us!

Aren't dogs wonderful....they don't stress or hold on to anger or angry feelings....so much smarter than we are!

Now, if we could only learn to "live in the moment", we'd all be so much saner!

GOOD MOORING and THANK YOU Roz!!!

She finally was discharged yesterday and she's home in her own bed!!! HURRAY!!!!

You are so right!!! The unconditional love from a dog is precious!!! It seems they only remember how much they love us!!! :)

Guess who slept all night in the crate:):):)!!! Finally the words home visit and sleep are compatible...whew.

Outings continue to have some challenges, but in home behaviour is excellent and house training improves with each visit.

I am enjoying having a permanent puppy/dog assignmentfor training. I still have the opportunity to work with other dogs so all is well.

Next week training camp beguins. My favorite flat coat retriver is on the list of possible graduation dogs. I've worked with a lot of the dogs going out at this camp, so graduation will be exciting.

Guess who slept all night in the crate:):):)!!! Finally the words home visit and sleep are compatible...whew.

Outings continue to have some challenges, but in home behaviour is excellent and house training improves with each visit.

I am enjoying having a permanent puppy/dog assignmentfor training. I still have the opportunity to work with other dogs so all is well.

Next week training camp beguins. My favorite flat coat retriver is on the list of possible graduation dogs. I've worked with a lot of the dogs going out at this camp, so graduation will be exciting.

Yeh, for sleep! I wouldn't recognize a dog with a "flat coat"; Brenda has a double coat of fur and looks like a lamb. Nobody believes she's a purebred English Lab. She looks like a Lab with a Springer Spaniel coat! She's one big fluff ball! Don't ask about the hair that winds-up in our locked china cabinet.....the stuff is insidious! :eek: