Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi All:

Just got off Holland America. We did the Panama Canal cruise. Been on HA 5 times in the last few years. HA always did mulch in a 4x4 ft box on a outside public deck for Oz and Oz was fine with that. This time it was on a outside public deck, but it was sod and the box was cut in half, with the two halves a couple of feet apart. Oz took some encouragement to use the sod. I found out at the end of the first day that there were 3 dogs on the ship. I met one who was a small older chocolate lab. The other was a small white dog, who was part of the ship's magician's act.

Next cruise is in April to Europe on RCCL. I will need to contact them closer to the date and ask for mulch and not sod. Also, for longer cruises, I ask the cruise line to bring on board enough mulch to change it totally once per cruise. If not it can get problematic when we are around the 14 day mark and the weather is warm and humid.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

MCDW, Well I was all excited seeing the pic of the potty box that Peter posted. But that box cut in half isn't very big for a 70lb lab. I'm not to concerned about the sod, although we did request mulch. I think he will go on sod too. But I'm very concerned about the size of the box. Thank you so much for the info

Cindy

I was a little surprised the 4x4 box was cut in two. I assume to accommodate the 3 dogs, but not sure. As mentioned earlier in the postings, once also his box was in the service area with staff coming and going all the time. Not a good idea with all that traffic so close to his box.

Thank goodness Oz is a little guy......an apricot min. poodle guide dog for the deaf.

Cheerio

Colleen

DSCF0999.jpg.1af61dea1d44a2f3517819efccb84e90.jpg

Awww, Oz is so cute! :)

Did they have something under the parts where there was no box (due to it being cut)? Or did the liquids draining from the sod just drain onto the deck?

Maybe it was cut in half because a past passenger argued that it was too small or something.

Hi All:

Just got off Holland America. We did the Panama Canal cruise. Been on HA 5 times in the last few years. HA always did mulch in a 4x4 ft box on a outside public deck for Oz and Oz was fine with that. This time it was on a outside public deck, but it was sod and the box was cut in half, with the two halves a couple of feet apart. Oz took some encouragement to use the sod. I found out at the end of the first day that there were 3 dogs on the ship. I met one who was a small older chocolate lab. The other was a small white dog, who was part of the ship's magician's act.

Next cruise is in April to Europe on RCCL. I will need to contact them closer to the date and ask for mulch and not sod. Also, for longer cruises, I ask the cruise line to bring on board enough mulch to change it totally once per cruise. If not it can get problematic when we are around the 14 day mark and the weather is warm and humid.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Thanks. Glad you had a great cruise. Good info. I didn't know they can do mulch - I always asked for sod on the form and specify the size of the box, so it is good to know that they can accomodate multiple requests.

Wow! You guys are so busy with all the traveling and cruising. I'm glad to hear that the "food thing" hasn't rumpled too many feathers and that most of our babies are in the recovery mode!

I hope everyone is enjoying the "season!" I'm trying to do as much shopping online that I can. Brenda has become a very "poor" shopping buddy in her senior years. She hates the slippery floors [having to get up and down] so often. I try to find as much carpeting as I can....but, as you know, it's not always possible in big department store.

The internet has become my shop of choice!

To all who are cruising soon......Bon Voyage! Tell us all about it when you come back.

Carnival Cruiselines is the one line that has the most problems with the potty box. Where to put it; what to put in it; when to have it ready, etc. Carnival is our next cruise, in January, we have a veranda stateroom and, I will be calling them prior to embarkation to make sure that the box is placed on the veranda before we enter the ship.

On our cruise onboard the Carnival Elation a few years ago, they placed "town & terrace" carpeting [it was green] in the bottom of the box........I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! And, I was livid.....They actually sent two people off the ship to get dirt from under a tree across from the dock, in San Diego!!!!! It was not to be believed!!!!!

It's the first thing I check before I do anything else after boarding.......Brenda could NEVER hold her urine for over 20 hours......Yikes!!!!!

HAL tends to like the "sod" and it does work for Brenda. We found the box itself to be a bit small but my 70lb Lab used it.....making her circles very, very tiny......I tried not to laugh watching her. They placed it on a forward deck that was used by the "joggers" and did make for some interesting moments. I would have to ask them to leave her alone until she was done doing her "tiny little circles" to go potty!

NCL has the potty box thing down the best! The box is huge and the filler is great.....but, I'm not crazy about the line!!!!!

Brenda sleeps in bed with PaPa when we travel. At first I didn't like it.....but, they both have a comfort zone with it.....and, as she's getting ready to retire with him, within the next few years......she's really serving us both in very different ways.....these dogs are amazing!

Hey everyone! We are heading out on a cruise next week without a service dog. Chewy can't handle the trip so he can't go. Giney is still in training so not ready just yet. Since we have two dogs they are staying home a dog sitter instead of staying with a friend. I am so nervous!!

Hey everyone! We are heading out on a cruise next week without a service dog. Chewy can't handle the trip so he can't go. Giney is still in training so not ready just yet. Since we have two dogs they are staying home a dog sitter instead of staying with a friend. I am so nervous!!

You obviously have not read the first rule of cruising.......Never be nervous about leaving anyone or anything behind.....they'll love their time away from you and you'll love just being away!

Have a wonderful cruise........I promise everything will be waiting for you when you get back! And, you'll have some extra special hugs for everyone because you'll be so rested from all that "high seas stuff!"

I hope everyone is enjoying the "season!" I'm trying to do as much shopping online that I can. Brenda has become a very "poor" shopping buddy in her senior years. She hates the slippery floors [having to get up and down] so often. I try to find as much carpeting as I can....but, as you know, it's not always possible in big department store.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting up and down on slippery floors, but have you looked into getting her Pawz boots? They're like latex balloons that go on the dog's paws. Petco sells them now, plus you can look up what local stores have them on the Pawz Web site. I got some the last time I was at Petco, but haven't gotten to try them yet because I couldn't figure out how to get them on with only two hands. Now that I watched the movie on the Pawz Web site, I need to try again.

The internet has become my shop of choice!

I buy pretty much everything from the Internet; it is the best! (Not to mention it is just plain fun to get a package in the mail and open it!) I did all my Christmas shopping online (yes, woohoo, I'm finished - well, with the exception of I might get one component to add to the gift for one of my cousins' kids so it is more usable out of the box and they won't have to go buy it themselves which likely won't happen with their busy lives, but I need to buy that locally).

Today I scored a Nina Ottoson dog game for my SD at half-price from the JeffersPet sale (half price for the first 200 customers starting at a specific time - they have a different item on sale like this each day for fifteen days), so I'm excited about that! It is the "Dog Brick" one where the dog has to take off the bone-shaped things and then slide panels to get to their treat hidden under the panels. (They only had two choices on sale and the other one was a much easier game. I'd have preferred something a little harder, but no way would I ever pay full price for these things as they are priced way too high! I'm not sure even half-price is worth it, but I got it 'cause I've wanted to get one for a while and it sure isn't often you're gonna find it at half price!)

Carnival Cruiselines is the one line that has the most problems with the potty box. Where to put it; what to put in it; when to have it ready, etc. Carnival is our next cruise, in January, we have a veranda stateroom and, I will be calling them prior to embarkation to make sure that the box is placed on the veranda before we enter the ship.

On our cruise onboard the Carnival Elation a few years ago, they placed "town & terrace" carpeting [it was green] in the bottom of the box........I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! And, I was livid.....They actually sent two people off the ship to get dirt from under a tree across from the dock, in San Diego!!!!! It was not to be believed!!!!!

It's the first thing I check before I do anything else after boarding.......Brenda could NEVER hold her urine for over 20 hours......Yikes!!!!!

That's terrible about the carpeting! I guess they thought, "Hey, it is green, dogs are stupid and won't know the difference," but, of course, were WAYYYYYY off!!!! :)

This is why I'm bringing my own stuff for Carnival. Especially after my bad experience with Royal Caribbean and their dinky 2' x 2' box on the opposite end of the ship (and five floors down) from my cabin.

Quam: Slippery floors and dogs really don't mix to begin with, let alone a dog who's trying to perform tasks. And, Brenda would NEVER keep anything on her paws/head or muzzle. She will allow me to put scarfs and stretchable, fancy neckware but that's it!

She's the only dog in the Team Training Program who would NOT wear a gentle leader.

She has no choice about the service vest and wears it reluctantly....it's funny to watch her try and shake it off for the first 30 seconds....she finally gives up but it can be very distracting when I first place her vest on and she's focusing on trying to get it off. She has learned to not be so focused on this and focus more on me!

She's very stubborn, as I've said before but once she's on task, she's the most amazing worker! She has more personalty than any dog I've ever known!

Roz, Valentine is the same way about wearing clothes, shoes, etc. When we first got her she would walk along the walls trying to get her collar or vest off. She will still do it with anything new. As she ages she is getting more and more stuborn. Because she is a small breed and prone to bad knees, we have steps all over the house. We recently got a taller bed so David raised her steps up by about 4 or5 inches. Although she can climb up without any problem she hates the change and stands on the bottem step and moans at us for help. Funny because she goes up and down by herself all night so I know exactly what you mean by having a stuborn dog with a lot of personality.:rolleyes:

Roz' date=' Valentine is the same way about wearing clothes, shoes, etc. When we first got her she would walk along the walls trying to get her collar or vest off. :rolleyes:

I thought only my girl did this ridiculous stunt! I was always curious about the strange marks on her vest/collar and raincoat. Until I figured it out! She's doing what Valentine does [they're sister's!]

Now, when I put on her lifevest during a muster drill, onboard a cruise ship....she doesn't even flinch.....go figure! She loves cruising as much as I do! Gotta love that! ;) :p

I don't know if you guys are aware, but service dog owners can receive half off at RuffWear.com under their pro purchase program for working dogs. We use their boots and their swamp cooler in the summer.

Wasn't that the IAADP discount that was discontinued almost two years ago?

Quam: Slippery floors and dogs really don't mix to begin with, let alone a dog who's trying to perform tasks. And, Brenda would NEVER keep anything on her paws/head or muzzle. She will allow me to put scarfs and stretchable, fancy neckware but that's it!

That's why I suggested the Pawz, as they're not like other boots which a lot of dogs (including mine) won't wear. They're very thin and the dog can feel the ground through them, as they're just thin rubber and are almost just like balloons, but with a wider opening for the foot and maybe a bit thicker to last longer/last with dog nails. Watch the video on the Pawz Web site of dogs trying them on for the first time - they don't do the hilarious kick-and-shake they do with other boots, they just go on romping around, not really noticing the boots are on.

She's the only dog in the Team Training Program who would NOT wear a gentle leader.

That's a lot different from wearing something on the paws. Those head halter devices simulate the natural dog correction of an open mouth around the bad dog's muzzle, so a lot of dogs do not want to wear them and those that do often behave vastly different (i.e. calmed, if not broken down to the point of not doing anything/rejected). (A prong collar correction also simulates a natural dog correction - an open mouth around the dog's neck - but it only simulates it when the correction is being applied, not all the time like a head halter. BTW, prongs are safer than chains/slips as those can/do hurt the dog's trachea.)

She has no choice about the service vest and wears it reluctantly....it's funny to watch her try and shake it off for the first 30 seconds....she finally gives up but it can be very distracting when I first place her vest on and she's focusing on trying to get it off. She has learned to not be so focused on this and focus more on me!

She's very stubborn, as I've said before but once she's on task, she's the most amazing worker! She has more personalty than any dog I've ever known!

Werin has worn her gentle leader about 2x in the 5 years we have had her. She kept trying to take it off, plus everyone asks about Werin's "muzzle" Prong Collar is our collar of choice.

Werin has worn her gentle leader about 2x in the 5 years we have had her. She kept trying to take it off, plus everyone asks about Werin's "muzzle" Prong Collar is our collar of choice.

I guess these dogs are just like kids....each one has their own "bag of tricks" and "foibles!"

No matter how many years of training goes into the dog or the child they still have their own unique personalities.....and, I'm glad of it!

Nothing more boring than the "Stepford" dog or kid!!!!! :p

They no longer offer the discount to IAADP members. They do offer it to individual owners of working dogs under the pro plan

Ah, gotcha. The IAADP one was the pro plan, too, so that's what my acc't is with them. I haven't ordered from them since before they dropped the IAADP discount, though, as I haven't needed to, but I did notice they never took me off the pro plan. (I wouldn't have ordered via that since they took the discount away, of course, but I guess it is okay now if they are giving it to individual owners.)

I have the RuffWear First Aid Kit which I recommend, though I've added a few additional items to it (pre-filled cotton swabs that are either styptic or something else [i forget], a stethoscope, prettier self-adhesive bandage [LOL], in-ear thermometer [as opposed to an in-butt one], a full-fledged first aid book, etc.). These things stay in my SD's vacation travel bag, so we always have it in our hotel/cruise room when we travel somewhere, just in case.

Edited by Quampapetet

Mornin' all:

Where'd everyone go? I know it is a busy time of year. I booked Jezzy Lou's very first "Spa" (groomer) appointment for next Friday. All of a sudden her little wirey hair has started to matt up. I think it is impossible to brush/comb that kind of hair. But, I'm sure I'm not the first person to have a furbaby with that kind of hair. Just need suggestions on how to care for her. Groomer said after she see's her, she will give me tips.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Nancy

What kinds of brushes do you use on her? I'd think a slicker brush and a pin brush would be good. For the tangles, a comb with rotating teeth works well, plus some spray-in detangler/grooming spray. I highly recommend Chris Christensen products, both his brushes and his Ice On Ice grooming spray (and his shampoos, including the rinseless ones). http://www.chrissystems.com is the Web site. He has products specified for wirey coats, so check out the descriptions for that. (He doesn't make a comb with rotating teeth, though - you'll have to find that at a pet or horse shop.)

Thanks, Quam. I am afraid to try anything right now. It was like over night she matted up. I will wait until after her appointment and they get her cleaned up, then I will have to do the follow up on her. Didn't realize they would matt up that quick. Our Renie boy was a lab and had short straight hair, easy to brush, except for him wanting to play get the brush from mom!

Nancy

Is she a puppy? If so, she could be getting her adult coat in over her puppy coat, which will knot up fast if not brushed at least once a day.

Or did she get wet? Wet coats knot up fast, too.

If it is really bad, there is likely not much you can do about it 'til the groomer handles it. If it is terrible, be prepared for your pooch to be shaved down, as groomers don't have the many hours it would take to brush out a really bad coat.