Security/pat search question

Ok, I'm hoping this won't be too off the wall. I have an ICD so am not permitted to go through a metal detector. So I'm pat searched when going through security at airports, etc. Depending on the professionalism of the people at security, it can be no worse than going through the detector to horribly humilating. (Believe me, a security person at LAX had me in tears after she was through. OTOH, the security people at Oakland were wonderful, even putting my purse and carryone through security for me and offering a place to sit while waiting for the person conducting the search.) This of course is a little thing, but I'd like to know what to expect. I'm hoping there's someone with a ICD or pacemaker that has cruised on Carnival and can give me some idea of how their security people handle pat searches. Are they respectful? Do they offer you the option of privacy?

Do you have card telling about your ICD? If not, your Dr should get you one. I have two implants of that type and I have cards for each of them. With these cards only one time have I ever been searched (and that was at the airport NOT Carnival). The rest of the times they let me go through or use a wand on me. Carnival is VERY lenient if you show your card.

Do talk to your Dr and get your card. Have a great cruise.

My father in law had a pacemaker when we sailed out of L.A on the Holiday. And they just searched him with the wand. He offered to remove his jacket and hat and they said don't bother....

But I'm sure every port is different....

The Carnival security people have been most professional. The TSA people need to take lessons from them. I use an insulin pump; I show it to them; they wave me through. TSA has been known to detain insulin pump users for hours. With proper identification, you should have no issues with the security folks.

No, Carnival security is not lax; they are reasonable and understand the difference between appearing secure and being secure.

Doc:)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Carnival was lax. Your words "reasonable and understanding" are much better words. But it is easier to go through Carnival ;) than the airport. That can be so embarrassing sometimes.

I have the ID card, that's why they pat search. The information I got from my ICD company when they first put in the device warned against getting searched with the wand, but information I've gotten since said that the wand could be used if it wasn't put too close to the device for too long. The airports I've flown out of would rather not risk setting off the device, so they pat search. It's been five airports so far (I just got the device last year) and they've all opted for a pat search. RCCL did one pat search when we first got on the ship, but not when we re-entered the ship at ports. They just x-rayed my bags and waved me through. I forgot once and went through the metal detector, and my device chirped. Kind of a strange thing to have your chest beeping at you! The security person always reminded me after that.....

My DH wears braces on both legs that set off the alarms. For the first 2 times re-entering the ship from port, he was both wanded and patted down. After that, he was just waved through. This was on the Destiny last year.

We were on the Sun Princess last month, and each and every time we re-boarded the ship, he had to go through the whole thing--both the wand and the pat down.

I have a question along the same lines. Will a metal artificial hip set off the alarm? I have had one of mine replaced but have not been through a detector since it was replaced. Will have to soon.

My wife has had a hip replacement. She flies all over the US on a regular basis. She carries an ID card that shows an xray of a hip replacement, and shows it to security when she sets off the metal detector. They will ask her to step aside and then either wand her or do a pat down. What amazes her is the times when her hip does NOT set off the metal detector. That titanium ball and the shaft that goes into her leg bone have to weigh over a pound, and are probably 9-10 inches long. If she can get that much metal through the detector, what can others carry on and not get stopped??

I have been strip searched from the waist up in my local airport.

The reason? Either the underwire in my bra or the single very small ring (you can figure it out) up there set it off. I suspect the ring, b/c so many women have underwire bras...

It was humiliating and uncalled for. How does such a little piece of metal, no more metal than an earring, set that off?

My wife has had a hip replacement. She flies all over the US on a regular basis. She carries an ID card that shows an xray of a hip replacement, and shows it to security when she sets off the metal detector. They will ask her to step aside and then either wand her or do a pat down. What amazes her is the times when her hip does NOT set off the metal detector. That titanium ball and the shaft that goes into her leg bone have to weigh over a pound, and are probably 9-10 inches long. If she can get that much metal through the detector, what can others carry on and not get stopped??

It depends on the composition of the replacement part whether the detectors will pick it up or not. Titanium composed parts are less likely to be detected, as are cobalt-chromium parts. Stainless steel will get you 'detected' a lot, however. Ferrous metals (ones that contain iron like stainless steel) create a larger magnetic field and are easier to detect than non-ferrous metals (titanium).

I'm sorry, I'm a science geek and also a former Radiology major! :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Carnival was lax. Your words "reasonable and understanding" are much better words. But it is easier to go through Carnival ;) than the airport. That can be so embarrassing sometimes.

Exactly. I would be less upset with the trappings of security at our airports if they were actually able to stop any kind of a terrorist. The procedures produce maximum inconvenience and minimum security.

I talked to one of the security supervisors for Carnival a while ago (I am a security advisor for a transportation organization as a second career) and he showed me some of the things they use which actually produce a remarkable level of security. They do this without creating problems for their passengers.

Doc

It depends on the composition of the replacement part whether the detectors will pick it up or not. Titanium composed parts are less likely to be detected, as are cobalt-chromium parts. Stainless steel will get you 'detected' a lot, however. Ferrous metals (ones that contain iron like stainless steel) create a larger magnetic field and are easier to detect than non-ferrous metals (titanium).

I'm sorry, I'm a science geek and also a former Radiology major! :)

She has had trips where she goes through three different airports on the same day. Two will trip the alarm, and the third will not. That is what puzzles me.

Thanks for the lesson, though. I always enjoy learning something new.

She has had trips where she goes through three different airports on the same day. Two will trip the alarm, and the third will not. That is what puzzles me.

Thanks for the lesson, though. I always enjoy learning something new.

You're welcome! :) I hope I didn't come off like a smarty-pants or anything like that! lol

The detection at one airport vs. another may be due to the strength they have their detectors set on as well.

I have a question along the same lines. Will a metal artificial hip set off the alarm? I have had one of mine replaced but have not been through a detector since it was replaced. Will have to soon.

my DH was in an accident and received a rebuilt pelvis in his thirties. He always makes the detector go off...this past June on the Liberty he did make the alarms go off and then they just used the wand on him.

Good luck@:)

On my Valor cruise I was in a wc and had to get pat searched every time I got back on the ship. The security people were very respectful and fairly quick. They were all nice and by the second day they all knew me by name! It was much easier than at the airport, where it is always treated like a major inconvience. Yuo shouldn't have any problems. :)

Archived