New to RCCL - Booking and Cabin Questions

Thinking about booking my first RCCL cruise and have lots of questions. I have cruised both Carnival and Princess before and was happy on them both, but would really like to try something different. Living in NJ we were looking at Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. We just took the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn and really love the idea of not having to fly anywhere.

Is there any advantage to booking with a TA over RCCL? I booked direct with Princess in the past and personally prefer to deal directly with the cruise line. I think I read somewhere the RCCL does not discount with TA's. Is that true? Also, I heard something about a resident discount - what is that?

Anyone that sailed both Princess and RCCL tell me if the bathrooms, well the showers anway, are bigger than on Princess.

One last thing. I am looking at a lower balcony category and there are hump cabins available. Are these desirable cabins on the Explorer. Is if better to be port for starboard? There are so many different balcony categories, is there a lot of difference between them.

I really appreciate any information you can give me. I don't want to make a mistake booking the cabin. Thanks again for all your help.

I think I can answer a little bit.

For me, with RCCL, I can't imagine using a TA. TAs can throw in little perks like OBC (I think) and other little things, but unless they have a block of rooms being booked as a group (which might be cheaper for you but also might be more restrictive if you want changes), they can't actually discount the fare.

But then, since the internet, I haven't been a fan of using a TA anyway, so take my views with that grain of salt. :)

Some cruises will have discounts for residents of certain states.

I agree--the ease of dealing directly with the cruiseline, without going through a "middleman" makes my booking decision for me!

As far as the hump balconies--those cabins are oh, so convenient! Close to stairs and elevators, it makes running back and forth to your cabin a breeze. No need to worry about noise there, either, since the cabins are in their own hallway- (That's not shown on the deck plans!!!) As far as which side of the ship--it really doesn't matter. If there is something you wish to see that isn't visible off of your balcony, there are plenty of upper decks where viewing is 360 degrees!

If you are talking about a standard cabin i.e not mini/junior suites then the bathrooms on Princess and RCI are the same size.On Radiance class or Voyager class ( but not all ships in the class!!) there are sliding curved doors for the shower not a curtain which is much better. Our experience of Princess was on the Golden in a balcony cabin on Baja deck . I liked the layout of the 'walk in' open hanging space but disliked the bed being nearer to the exit door. I like my bed to be near the window/balcony if we are in cabin with one!! So much easier to stay cosy in bed and have a sneak peek through the curtains!:D

Thinking about booking my first RCCL cruise and have lots of questions. I have cruised both Carnival and Princess before and was happy on them both, but would really like to try something different. Living in NJ we were looking at Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne. We just took the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn and really love the idea of not having to fly anywhere.

Is there any advantage to booking with a TA over RCCL? I booked direct with Princess in the past and personally prefer to deal directly with the cruise line. I think I read somewhere the RCCL does not discount with TA's. Is that true? Also, I heard something about a resident discount - what is that?

I really appreciate any information you can give me. I don't want to make a mistake booking the cabin. Thanks again for all your help.

Hi chopper,

I have booked my 3 or 4 previous cruises directly with RCCL and the very last one (4-22 on Explorer) with a TA ......

based on my experience I will probably book my next cruise directly with RCCL........ I did not get from my last TA or any other previous TA any special 'deal', the price was the same as it was shown on RCCL website,

when the price did drop ( and I noticed that not the TA) I had to get hold of the TA to request an intervention - would have been a lot easier to call RCCL myself ..... but once a TA became my agent I could not talk directly with RCCL agents,

I did not get the table assignments that I requested - so the TA (large agency) did not carry any special 'cloud /power to do that for me,

I could not make any arrangements for my air through the TA - I was told that 'they' do not do that,

I could not get any information pertaining to visas requirements for my relatives that were cruising with me (but came here from another country for the cruise) from the TA (had to get all the info myself) ......

so the TA was more of a problem for me than actual 'help' -

IMO - no TA for me in the future unless there is something for me that I will benefit from...... either from their knowledge , connections, price , arrangements or whatever ....... otherwise it is just a waste of my time trying to call them and do what can be so easily done by myself ...... the RCCL reservations is open a lot more hours than most TA's agencies, they (RCCL) are there late in the evening to answer my questions, make changes - TA is not "there" as much as I might need them....if I need them.

Wes

I think its a tie between Hump balconies and aft which are the favorites. Wraps are probably tops though, the corner of the aft which have larger balconies.

Humps are good because you should have a clear view forward and aft, unlike other balconies.

Im working thru a TA on one of my upcoming cruises. I booked thru a special promotion and got a free 2 category upgrade. I called RCI and they said that I was not entitled to a refund when the price dropped. The person asked a supervisor and called another department and all said no.

I had problems getting a hold of my TA, but when I finally did I said ok get a upgrade and if you cannot get the final $40 refund, then I will live with it. She had to call 3 times to finally get even that much. I at least got the $80 worth of upgrade.

If I had dealth directly with a particular RCI rep, who said no, I probably wouldnt have gotten anything for the $120 drop. They still owe me $40, and said it might take up to 2 weeks, Ill believe it when I see it, but not holding my breath.

Sometimes a TA will go to bat for you when a RCI person wouldnt. RCI is better about giving you money back on price drops as a rule than Princess imo....except in this case where they keep insisting I cant because of a special promotion I signed up under.

Yes, it's true RCCL does not discount with TA's. The TA's will offer incentives (one paid excursion, pre-paid gratuities for the first 2 passengers, $100 shipboard credit, etc.) but I tried this incentive once and got burned. I booked a cruise for the pre-paid gratuities offer and had to cancel about one month later (nowhere near time of final payment!) due to an unforeseen conflict. I wasn't prepared to select a new booking date and was charged $50 in penalty fee for cancelling. If I had booked myself through RCCL, this would have never happened! I keep checking the prices myself because I don't have faith a TA would do so for me and lower their commission, why would I call a TA to inform them of a price drop instead of just dealing with RCCL myself?

A resident discount is given to those from a particular state and it's usually offered closer to time of sailing to help sell those remaining cabins. The same applies to discounts given for seniors and military. I keep checking for these discounts even after I book and even after final payment! RCCL will honor the price drop or discount on most occasions.

Anyone that sailed both Princess and RCCL tell me if the bathrooms, well the showers anway, are bigger than on Princess.

I can't help you here, have never sailed Princess.

One last thing. I am looking at a lower balcony category and there are hump cabins available. Are these desirable cabins on the Explorer. Is if better to be port for starboard? There are so many different balcony categories, is there a lot of difference between them.

A category E-1 (most economical balcony cabin) is going to cost the same no matter which deck it is located. Some folks have preferences for hump cabins or aft or corner-aft because of the larger balconies. Corner afts can have balconies that are 130 sq feet vs. the usual 46 sq. ft. Cabin 7388 is an example of a Mariner of the Seas corner aft that has both an aft and side view. I will post a link that will show photos.

Chopper, I've added some info in red in the above quote.

Have a look at the following links:

Promowave to check for Resident, Senior, and Military discounts:

http://creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf

Link to my Mariner photos, to view various stateroom categories.....see a Pullman bed opened up, corner aft balconies, etc:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40631118@N00/

Good luck with your booking.

Rose

Thank you all for your great answers. I feel so much more prepared to take that leap now and pick a cabin. I will be calling RCCL in the very near future. Need to get with our friends and make the final decisions. Thanks again for all your help.

Archived