Question for Amadeus Cruisers

Yosemitegal

I leave on July 29th on Amadeus, Amsterdam to Budapest. Does anyone know if there is a way of transfering pictures from my camera memory card to a disc while on the cruise. I have enough space on my cards to hold about 1000 pics but that may not be enough space for the entire cruise.:eek:

Yosemitegal,

Get you more cards! They are pretty cheap now. Any other way of storage will cost you much more as long as you don´t take a laptop with you. I don´t think that Amadeus is offering any kind of "copy" service.

We usually have a half size laptop with us (to write my reviews) which we also use as a security storage. I have 4 512MB cards which hold about 360 pix each. I never had to delete the pix on one card to get more space. Do not use any 2GB cards. If one card is lost you loose all the pix you made. So tend to smaller ones and buy one of those little card storages. Mine is coming with a keychain (but I don´t use that).

steamboats

We did Amadeus on the Istanbul to Budapest itinerary. I would say that they are NOT set up to do a transfer to disc. The cruise director (an independant contractor, remember) quietly offered the use of her laptop to a couple people when they inquired, but I don't think they used it. I saw a couple places in ports that purported to offer the service, but I would agree with Steamboats that the best choice would be to take more than you think you'll need -- who wants to spend time and effort doing that when you aren't even sure of the results??

I bought a 2GB card just before the trip (hey, the price was right) and am glad I did. We wound up filling my 2 x 512MB cards, 1 x 256MB, and most of the 2GB card. I took around 1300 pictures, and I wouldn't say that I was "overly aggressive". Take more than you think you'll ever need -- they're definitely cheap enough.

I agree with steamboats. Cards are cheaper than ever. We took over 1,000 pics on our Med cruise and over 600 on our Panama Canal cruise. I decided to break up the pics and put some on each card. I had three total. God forbid you should lose your camera but you would at least only lose the portion on the installed card. The others should be safely back on the ship!

Thanks for the information. I'll pick up a couple more memory cards before I go. You have a good point about the 1GB compared to the 2GB cards, you never know what might happen to the camera and then all the pictures would be lost with it. A freind just returned from Italy, she put her camera down for a minute while paying for some postcards and someone ran off with it....and all her pictures with it.

See you onboard Brandybold, do you live in the states?

Yosemitegal and brandybold ~

We will be on this cruise next May. I am very anxious for you both to post a report upon your return. You don't have long to wait - bon voyage!:D

One word of advice - be sure to check your camera manual as to what size card your camera will hold. I have a Nikon 7900 and when I bought it the 2gb cards were newly available. When my camera was made, only 1gb cards were out. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting an error message when I went to take a picture. Eventually I realized that it was not configured for the 2gb card. What a disappointment!:eek: Needless to say I bought a couple of 1gb cards. Live and learn!

Have fun,

Flash memory used by camera memory cards is currently the most secure storage medium available. Just be sure to first fill whatever size card you will use with photos (then delete them all) to give it a chance to fail before you travel. The advantage of a small laptop is that labeling each photo (OK, a few photos) means you don't have to keep a written record of what you shot. Or you can shoot 'label' photos - pics of city names & other locations.

WIT

There are a few other options as well. If you have a high resolution camera you can reduce the resolution on your camera a level or two. Unless you plan to make 16 X 20 inch prints, or do severe cropping, the photos will be fine. This will allow about twice as many photos on the same memory card.

Another option, which is tough for all of us, is to be more discriminating. Shoot all the photos you want, but later in the day review them and delete the ones that are not really good. If you come back with 2000 photos, who is going to want to look at all of them? Save the good ones, delete the rest. Everyone will think you are a great photographer because all your photos are good!

TataTom, we usually plug the camera into the hotel or cabin TV everynight and view what we have taken that day, we delete the doubles and ones that arent that great to free up some space. I'm not bringing a laptop to keep track of what the pictures are of as we take them, so I guess I'm going to have to make some notes everynight when we view them so that I can remember by the time we get home where they were taken. I can usually get about 325 pictures on my 1GB memory card, I'll look at it to see if I can dial it down a little so that I can get a few more on each card. Very true....if I try to show off 2000 pictures everyone will fall asleep looking at them.;)

Yosemitegal & Brandybold,

We're on the same cruise at the end of the month -- and I'm getting so excited! Perhaps we can share a meal!

Looking forward to the trip -- and will look forward to meeting you as well!

Greetings from Ohio!

Cruisegran

Archived