Worst Table Mates

I

When we sit down at the table for 6, there is another couple. She (Im not joking) looked up, down, up, down from my head to my toes and said in the most ridiculous tone "I see by the way you are dressed, you didnt get your luggage.":eek:

Hmmm...my first reaction (which I usually try to stifle) was "Oh, I see you didn't get your manners. Hopefully both will show up before this cruise is over."

Hmmm...my first reaction (which I usually try to stifle) was "Oh, I see you didn't get your manners. Hopefully both will show up before this cruise is over."

Oh! good one dc-snoopy....I hope I can remember that.

IMHO, I would hoped her manners would show up before my luggage,lol. Thanks for the good laugh. Cute sense of humor

I don't get it Sally?

Griswalds

Oh, sorry, the quoted part didn't come up with it. Someone talked about sitting with rude Canadians at a table. The big joke is usually the opposite, that Canadians apologize even when it isn't their fault.

Viv

Oh, sorry, the quoted part didn't come up with it. Someone talked about sitting with rude Canadians at a table. The big joke is usually the opposite, that Canadians apologize even when it isn't their fault.

Viv

I thought apologizing whether your fault or not was a Southern US thing as we do it all the time! :D

We've been pretty lucky for the most part. But, on our very first cruise we sat with a party of 3 (Dad, Mom, Daughter). The man was very pleasant and would speak to my husband and I, until his wife would give him "the look". Then he wouldn't say another word. She on the other hand would sit at the table and tell their daughter how fat she was (she was about 6 years old). Then when it was time for desert, the Mom would order the daughter ice cream with sprinkles every night. Since then we've had friendly, talkative table mates.

I'm happy to see, after reading this whole thread, that I am not mentioned. I am sure though, that there are a few people on one particular cruise I've been on, that would say something nasty about me @@. Regardless... DH and I have been lucky, that on many cruises, we've only had a problem once with dining companions. We were seated at a table set for 12 on the first night, with 10 non English speaking tablemates who were part of a larger group. We immediately asked for a change (before the water was even poured) and were seated at a 4 top with an older couple who would not utter a word, even when spoken to. We ate with them 2 nights, and gave up. They just wouldn't speak! Thankfully, we had met some people at the pool on the 3rd day who we got along great with and they had 2 empty seats at their table of 8. We had dinner with them, for the rest of the cruise. One cruise out of 22 with bad tablemates? I feel lucky! We'll see what happens next month :)

I have taken 11 cruises and have had mostly good table mates but obviously several not so good. One guy referred to "his table" all the time and wanted to dominate conversations and control everything. Not so easy with a creep like me at the table!

Anyway, we always request a large table and then try to switch seats each night. We then get to experience conversaton with everyone and if there are clinkers we only have to put up with them a minimum number of times.

Yes, you most certainly may request a table for six. Do it when you make your reservations or soon after. The travel agent will want to know the reservation numbers of the people you wish to dine with. We do this all the time. If when you receive you boarding pass you notice that you and your friends are assigned to different tables, go to the maitre d and explain your problem. He will fix it for you. You might have to wait in line for a few minutes.

Yes, you most certainly may request a table for six. Do it when you make your reservations or soon after. The travel agent will want to know the reservation numbers of the people you wish to dine with. We do this all the time. If when you receive you boarding pass you notice that you and your friends are assigned to different tables, go to the maitre d and explain your problem. He will fix it for you. You might have to wait in line for a few minutes.

Thank you! I think I must have told her in the beginning of this reservation but I'll check on it! Good news. :)

Reading all these stories, my table mates don't seem all that bad.

I last travelled on the Mariner with my two daughters and we got seated at an 8-top table. Our table mates turned out to be two young couples. I can tell that both couples would've preferred their own table for two. One couple always muttered comments about the food and service between themselves and kept quiet for the rest of the night. I can tell that they had a problem with something about the dining room because we didn't see them at the dinner table after the third night. The other couple weren't bad. In fact, they were quite delightful and humble. Although, they didn't talk very much either, but when they did, they were very engaging.

Other than that, it wasn't terrible.

We did a B2B on the Zenith, years ago and had the most wonderful table mates on our first leg but on our eastern section of the trip we were seated at a table of eight. The first night one of the couples didn't make it...but the 4 from Boca were there (the reason I know that is because they told us over and over again, "We're from Boca, the only place to live if you live in Florida")...they were rude, judgemental and just plane mean...they talked about all the other couples in the restaurant and about the waiter...saying really nasty things. We decided to change tables but something had come up and we didn't get to it...so the next night...here we were at the same awful table...with the same ugly people...fortunately the other couple arrived and turned out to be people we knew from another trip...what a surprise and we got to talking....and kinda ignored the people who were so obnoxious...when we left that night my friend said did you know that they were talking about us and making rude comments...I wasn't surprised but I had not heard them... we went to change tables, even go to early seating but there was not anything available for a party of four so we were stuck with these horrid people. Well every night they would get louder and louder as they tried to insult us and every night we would be so busy talking we hardly heard them we were just talking and laughing and pretending they didn't exist (it really was getting funny)...one night another waiter came over and asked them if they would not mind being a little quieter...I think it was what they were saying that was really annoying other guests. Then the next night they didn't show up....and we were free from them for the last 3 nights of the cruise...this was wonderful...the waiter thanked us...and we ended up having a great three days...but we kinda missed them...because toward the end it had become a game with us...and later we would always laugh about it when we exchanged what we heard them say about us...because usually one of us would catch something.

Well that's my story and although long I hope you all enjoyed it...it was all true...and almost surreal...when I think back on it.

Rev

oh my god, i can feel sorry for you and the staff as well, you were really kind to stay there, most of this bitter people besides making life miserable to the other guests and the waiters in dinning room, they don t tip them and later on they make the worst complaints on the surveys, putting the waiter of that particular table on big troubles, because the surveys are numbered with the cabin which go straight to table number and sitting, so they know exactly who was the one who seved,and is her word against him, how unfair. But very funny you gave it to them, i would be really terrible with thwm beleive me, good for you.

Pam

Anyway, we always request a large table and then try to switch seats each night. We then get to experience conversaton with everyone and if there are clinkers we only have to put up with them a minimum number of times.

We usually do this as well so you can see what the dining room looks like from each seat :D I did have one cruise where the gentleman whose seat I took on the second night asked me semi politely to get out of his seat as he'd arrived early the first night to make sure he got the best seat at the table. I moved as it was more important to him then me.

We never had any truly awful dining mates.

The worst experience was when we were booked at a table for 6. We didn't meet the one couple till night 3 because they strictly followed the dress code and didn't dine in the dining room on formal nights and also missed the first night. They were the nicest couple and we wished they came to the table every night.

The other "couple" was a recently divorced woman who was celebrating her divorce on the cruise. She had paid for her girlfriend to accompany her. The divorcee was on the prowl for a new man and every time a male walked by without a women next to him, she would jump up and yell "Caliente" and chase after him. The girlfriend who was treated to the cruise apparently didn't bring ANY expense money with her and when the divorcee wasn't chasing men around the dining room, she was complaining about how much her girlfriend was spending and she had no idea how either one of them was going to pay for it!

We made the best of the limited conversation and were soo happy when the married couple dined with us so we had something else to talk about.

This is the funniest message I have ever read. My son is a comedy writer in Hollywood. This might be the start of a great new comedy show. This would have been really funny as a movie way back when Marilyn Monroe was around.

• 10 months later...

On the last night of the cruise, the chef made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies especially for him and the guy refused to eat them because it took so long to make them.

The whole table wanted to kill him.

I would just have to open up an entire can of whoopass on that dumb SOB. I guess you just can't fix stupid.

We have taken to calling these individuals "black holes" because they just suck the life right out of the room. On our first criuise (the Celebration) we a had black hole that that complained that the dinner arrangements were "just to fancy" - and this on a ghetto ship. The next two cruises we had great tablemates but our last cruise on Conquest we had 3 more "black holes."

We are on the LOS on June 7th. I hope we get someone fun folks. We are moving if we do.

Doug

Archived