Brinig Wine on Board in NJ

Has anyone recently tried to bring wine on board in NJ. If so what happen?

Any info would be appreciated.

Bubble wrapped in the checked luggage (last year on RC) but we had a problem with NCL a few weeks ago...they kept our luggage with the 2 bottles of wine and gave us a note saying it would cost $30 (big bottle) corkage fee for a $10 bottle of wine!! I found our missing luggage on our way to dinner the first night with a yellow LIQUOR tag on it and grabbed it and brought it back to our cabin. :) :)

Next time I plan on packing it in soda bottles.

NCL seems to be the most hard nosed x-raying checked luggage and taking up booze and charging corkage for wine when they find it. Having just completed a trans-Atlantic cruise with them in April, I can understand why. A half glass of wine is $7 and drinks were reportedly weak and also overpriced. A heck of a lot of revenue going down the toilet. I have asked on other threads if anyone has had wine/booze taken up that was in checked luggage on lines other than NCL So far, it has mostly bought the usual responses about the honesty, morality, and cheapness of it rather than an answer.

That being said, if you are not on NCL, you have a good shot at getting it on in your checked luggage. A friend of mine's booze was taken up by NCL (packed in soda bottles, I might add), and being at NCL's mercy for 19 days trans-Atlantic, I decided to gamble $12 for a cheap box that they wouldn't find it. If they did, then a maid in a hotel in London would be a very happy camper (lol). I packed it in a larger box so it wasn't the obvious square and wrapped that box in foil wrapping paper, tied a ribbon around it, put a card on top (well an empty card envelope). I was driving into port so I didn't have to worry about weight for an airplane. I also packed several bottles of soda which I vacuumed sealed in the suitcases. I fully expected to be called down because of the soda bottles but I could truthfully tell them it was just soda. My friend who had hers taken up had a soda bottle of liquor in each suitcase. After confiscating the bottle from the 1st suitcase, they had her open the second and on "top" was a bottle of bloody Mary mix. They asked her if it was booze and she said it wasn't. They then told her she could take her suitcase and leave. They did not delve further and find the bottle of Sprite filled with vodka. She wondered if they thought she was going to mix the bloody Mary mix with bourbon (lol).

We got to port around 3:00, after most of the people were on board and the main crush of luggage had been loaded so that even made me more sure they would x-ray my bag since they had plenty of time. I had three vacuumed packed bottles of soda in my carry-on and the girl looked at them very closely to make sure the bottles had not been opened. Klutzy me dropped my sign and sail card overboard as I was fumbling putting up my passport so we had to go straight to the desk for a new one. That took about 20 minutes. When we got to the deck our cabin was on, there was the luggage sitting out in the hall by the elevator. No yellow "liquor" tag on it or anything. Needless to say, husband picked it up and quickly got it to the cabin. So I guess they weren't x-raying that day or the guy was taking a break. I do know the last day a crew member was sitting in a lounge surrounded by tons of liquor bottles, Listerine bottles, soda bottles, etc. and people were picking them up. It could be they got them out of carry-on luggage and I am sure some of the liquor was purchased in port or at their ship's store and kept by them.

So, if you are on NCL, you can try the true soda decoy, gift wrapping, whatever. I still would like to know if anyone has ever had any taken up from checked luggage on any other line. We have RCI booked for October and then a trans-Atlantic in December.

Tucker in Texas

PS

I was at the local whiskey store today and noticed that they have 500 mil of that inexpensive V(something) wine in "pouches" They were about the size of a pair of tube socks folded in half. They were on sale for $2.99; regular price $3.49. You could put one in a tube sock, fold it over and pack it in a zip-lock along with other things and I can't see NCL ever identifying it as wine on their x-ray. Even though that comes out to $7 a liter, that is what NCL wants for a half glass of wine.

Tucker in Texas

we sailed from cape liberty last year and the year before. Brought 2 boxes of wine and Champaigne in our carry on. No problems at all. The security even looked thru our carry on. So don't worry about it. Bring it. Oh and a good tip. Buy those big zip locks for the wine. just in case it leaks. They worked great and we have them for our next cruise.

In June 2007 we found a letter on our bed from the Captain to all guests when we entered the cabin.

The letter addresses alcohol and I'm just going to type the main part here.

Guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or other purposes. Security may inspect containers ( water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc. ) at any time and those concealing or attempting to conceal alcohol will be subject to action up to and including being disembarked from the ship at thier own expense. Guests under the age of 21 who possess alcohol in violation of this policy will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors, possessing, concealing, or attempting to conceal alcohol items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy, up to and including being disembarked from the ship.

The letter is signed by Captain Gronhaug and it is for the Explorer of the Seas

One of our tablemates purchased a bottle of wine for dinner and after dinner she wanted to bring the remainder back to her cabin and the waiter said it was not permitted and kept it in the dining room for her to have for the next night.

Do what you want, but it's a risk you take and it seems they are serious about the policy on the Explorer.

We also were on Explorer in June 2007. I don't remember any letter in our cabin from the Capt. As I said in previous post, no problem bringing in checked luggage. Also our cabin steward was happy to keep our collapsible cooler filled with ice for my husband's drinks.

Did anyone else see this letter?

I'm certain she didn't lie about the letter being there! That being said, I also find it odd that the letter says what it does, as you are already on the ship, and you would have gotten or not gotten the alcohol on board already. :confused:

I know you asked about the policy at Cape Liberty, but I will tell you about the port of Baltimore. In Baltimore, after you go thru the security line and your bags are scanned, there is a large table with a crew member sitting there. His job is to take your name and stateroom number so that at the end of the cruise they can return your confiscated liquor. I was surprised at the amount of liquor they had sitting there. To the best of my knowledge everyone did board, they just did not have their booze to take with them to their stateroom.

So while many are telling you yes, sure go ahead, take it, no problem, you have to be aware that you may be the very one that is caught.

Every port is different, you may be lucky and get through.

Annieeee

Archived