best time to sail to Alaska

pretenda

Could you help us please - we were thinking of booking in September but have read that it might not be the right climate to experience Alaska at its best. Any tips/thoughts on the best time would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks

Glenda

After the first week of Sept. with your "best" description, this isn't it in my opinion.

June overall has consistantly excellent weather. Prior from mid May is also excellent, but not as good if you are going interior Alaska, key would be a northbound trip.

I have gone mid/late August the most, wildlife opportunities excellent and salmon running. I'll be there in 2 weeks for a mid summer trip, so I'll see how that goes. :)

As you say there are other times of the year that would have a better climate. But I do want to mention that there are some advantages going late or early in the season. And, the biggest advantage is less people in the ports of call. Alaska continues to get more and more congested with passengers. I remember when there would only be one or two cruise ships in a port of call and now you have several to contend with. So, while the climate is better other times of the year it is a treadoff between the number of people in the ports. Just something to think about.

Keith

we had to go in sept, only time DH could get away from work.

we wanted cool weather, we love it. that's what we got..

7 days, rain in juneau, ketchikan (heavy). ice/sleet with the rain in juneau for an hour or so. great weather on cruising days and in glacier bay.

heavy fog and cold the morning in skagway, but it cleared up to a pretty day.

after sept 15th, some things are close or shutting down. avis doesn't rent cars (in skagway) after the 15th. after the 1st of sept the store shelves start to get bare. they don't restock as much, they don't want to get stuck with it over the winter.

also, many college students work up there during the summer, they go back to school.

we loved it and had a great time. i would go again that time of the year, but others would not have enjoyed it.

As you say there are other times of the year that would have a better climate. But I do want to mention that there are some advantages going late or early in the season. And, the biggest advantage is less people in the ports of call. Alaska continues to get more and more congested with passengers. I remember when there would only be one or two cruise ships in a port of call and now you have several to contend with. So, while the climate is better other times of the year it is a treadoff between the number of people in the ports. Just something to think about.

Keith

This really is no longer true. Cruiselines are in full schedule by mid May and through the middle of Sept.

I was there mid May this year, and ports loaded and all dock FULL.

To all who have replied. September is a very good time for us but we could possibly travel in June instead. I guess the weather will be better then. We are thinking of booking with Princess either Anchorage to Vancouver or Seattle/Seattle.

Many thanks once again.

Glenda

about the fall colors

where we live we get a lot of gold and oranges...we were expecting some in alaska (last sept 17-24). around the coast, it's still green. saw some color changes going up the train, mostly just a few golds.

it had been a very wet august and sept.

This is our 3rd year in a row doing Celebrity's repositioning cruise from VanCouver through Alaska and down the coast to Californina. Great ports of call and the weather has been wonderful. I just wear a sweater of sorts and a light jacket over that. By noon the jacket is usually tied around my waist.

Two years in a row our dining staff has told us that this particular cruise had the best weather of the entire Alaska season.

We saw plenty of whales, bears, eagles, etc.

Now I will say............It's cold at the glacier! :D

about the fall colors

where we live we get a lot of gold and oranges...we were expecting some in alaska (last sept 17-24). around the coast, it's still green. saw some color changes going up the train, mostly just a few golds.

it had been a very wet august and sept.

Hi Cathy,

We are departing 16th September this year. When you cruised the same time last year, was there any snow to be seen.:confused:

if you look at all my photos in my link (see my below) you can see for yourself. except for some very far mountain tops, no.

it did snow in the yukon the next week. yukon (on this board) posted a nice photo of the 1st snow from his yard.

while whale watching, the ice was bouncing off my slicker. you could hear it. but it only last for a short time as the little storm blew through.

When does the foliage start to change color in the fall? I'm mainly wondering about the inside passage areas.

Unfortunately, fall color is unspectacular, in my opinion. Our forests are heavily evergreen, and when the deciduous trees do change, the heavier rain and wind of the season tends to knock them off quickly. I've attached a photo taken in late September in Juneau to give you an idea.

I find the Yukon much more spectacular but they change much earlier. Murray can give the poop, but last year I went through there at the end of August and the leaves were already changing. Driving the road out of Skagway in fall could be worthwhile.

fallcolor.jpg.9666cd8d287288f06108fabf7cad9ece.jpg

Just my opinion...we went May 5 this year...loved it...weather chilly, got very close in @ Tracy Arm, Very little rain...loved it so much we are going again in May 2008. A friend just returned & said it was COLD, RAINY, & crowded!!! I vote for early May...but we were lucky to have great weather. :)

Archived