Tip for Dog lovers on the PG

SuzCruise

We did the PG in May and June and I am just now getting around to doing my review. Will post the full thing when I get it done, but wanted to add this quick note to the board before I forgot. I am a big dog lover and was very upset to see that there is a dog population problem on Bora Bora. Tons of starving dogs everywhere we went, and when we were there tons of litters. I have no idea if Bora Bora even has a vet, much less a low cost spay and neuter clinic. Anyway, if I had known then what I know now - I would have brought several hamburger patties and hotdogs with me when we went ashore to feed to these poor dogs. Expecially the motu on Bora Bora - Several starving dogs on the beach. I did bring some roast beef when we rented a car in Moorea - but they don't seem to have the same problem.

This just breaks my heart. I love animals and have seen far too many unloved, undernourished dogs and cats in the Caribbean and Mexico. I did not notice this problem when we were in Moorea 4 years ago.

We are cruising on the PG in November, and based on this discovery -- I'll be sure to swipe some goodies from the ship to take to the Motu in Bora Bora. I'll also probably bring a couple of small bags of nutritious dog treats in my suitcase.

Thanks for the heads-up.

On tahiti-explorer.com there is a long thread in regard to stray, starving animals. It is under the topic: Money, weather, Visas, bugs etc. The following is from what I have read on that thread: This is a problem on all of the islands but especially noticeable on Huahine (PG does not stop here on their 7 day cruises, only their 10 day ones). There is a vet on Bora Bora but an office visit to the vet costs more than to a people doctor. The cost of dog food in FP is 4 times what the same would be in the states. For a dog from Huahine to be spayed it must be flown to Raiatea to a vet. The total cost is equivalent to $500 US. ($300 for dogs on Moorea.) An American foundation has sent British vets to Bora Bora for neutering programs in exchange for free vacations but they have not been interested in going to other islands to date. It is indeed a sad situation.

Please understand Poolechick, I'm a dog lover too.very much so. But if everyone continuously feeds these desperate and starving animals, the population will only grow to more starving animals. I know its a cruel cycle, but its the facts of life.

Aggressive, affordable spay-neuter options are the only humane option to prevent the births of unwanted animals.

I mean no disrepect to you Poolechick. Best Regards

Future PG crusier April 05

I absolutely agree that spay-neuter is the only way to prevent the horrible overpopulation problem of dogs, both in Bora Bora as well as in America. But by the time I went to vet school and won the lottery to be able to go back to Bora Bora and set up a free clinic, those dogs would have starved to death. I understand feeding them isn't solving the problem of overpopulation. But I am not going to let them starve to death if I can help it.

I agree that the way to really help is to donate funds and time. That is why I donate considerable amounts of money to animal sanctuaries and rescue groups in my area and am on my 10th foster puppy for the year (the current one is recovering from Parvo). My note wasn't meant to lecture people who are preparing for vacation on civic responsibilities. It was just a tip for dog lovers like Poolechick and myself who would bring food for the dogs if they knew in advance they were going to be there.

Kathy Z, thanks for all the great info! Poolechick - bring the dogs a burger or 2) or 3 or 4) from me and have a great trip! I know you will.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, that feeding the animals will only contribute to the problem...there is a local organization that is trying to help. their web address is http://www.fenua-animalia.org. low cost spaying and neutering is the only option, as well as educating the public and a mass campaign by the government to help this problem.

that aside, i just returned from the PG and a week on Huahine. on all the islands there are thousands of stray dogs. Moorea's population is approx 14000 and there are 6000 dogs on the island most starving/stray.

despite what anyone says, I did not enjoy going out to dinner in Huahine and having a pack of stray dogs follow me to the restaurant or beg right at my table for food, or scrounging around under my chair for a dropped morsel. this is not a vacation for me.

just my opinion.

This is a world wide problem but certain areas are affected much worse than others. I've always tried to feed starving animals whenever possible. Of course the solution is spay and neutering clinics but it does give me satisfaction whenever I can feed a starving animal regardless of what country I'm in.

We donate money to animal causes and I do rescue volunteer work in my community as well. We will be in the FP islands in January and I will make sure that I try to give these dogs any scraps I can. Afterall, We are all God's creatures.

I'm in agreement, petlover. Obviously the answer is agressive spay/neuter programs, but it takes time and a LOT of effort to organize such a plan. I, too -- donate time and money to animal welfare causes. I think some would prefer to just eliminate these poor FP dogs in order to stop the problem. I think a society is only as good as it treats the less fortunate creatures. I WILL feed those dogs when I'm on the islands in November. NOT because it makes me feel good about myself. Far from it. I would feel much better if all these dogs had loving homes and good veterinary care. I will feed them because if I can help make one day of their lives less miserable by showing some compassion and kindness -- then I will. NOT for me. For them. It's the humane thing to do, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's too bad that the mere presence of a harmless dog under a dining chair threatens to ruin a lovely vacation. One morsel of your dinner might be all that dog had in his belly for DAYS! How sad.

If I came across as being angry at having the dog under my chair that was not my intention. In fact, I couldn't even eat my dinner I was so sad and sickened by the situation. I did give the dog some morsels, but there were 5 others like him also begging for food. I cried. It is the saddest thing I have ever seen. I have written their Minister of Tourism but probably won't do any good. I know this goes on in the world but as a true animal lover, it breaks my heart anyway. It is even worse to see all the pregnant females who will be giving birth to more unwanted animals.

However, it is true, I was so saddened by the situation, I don't want to see that on my vacation.

P.S. according to the staff on the PG, the dogs on the motu in BOra Bora are owned by a local woman, and she does feed them fish. THere is a litter of puppies as well, and so lots of hungry dogs.

His name is Mr. Jacqui Drollet. I searched the internet and could not find a mailing address so I faxed him instead. His fax is 47 20 05. Can't remember the ocuntry code for Tahiti. I found it on the following website...http://www.tourisme.gov.pf/

Maybe you can do better than me and find a mailing address...

I think it's disingenuous to be critical of the animal overpopulation of our vacation destinations... in the US we euthanize 3-4 million animals per year (per Humane Society) that's apx equal to 1% of our "human" population EACH YEAR... if we didn't kill the poor dears, I doubt it would be long before our stray population would be as pronounced as French Polynesia. This is a worldwide problem and not one which any letters to the Tourism Minister will solve.

While in the Society Islands on the PG, a guide said that the short legged yellow dogs that we saw so many of were actually fruit-eating animals, who "lived off the land." I don't know if this is true or not, but I rather hoped it was, as one who has shared his home with dogs for 58 years. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this, or has any information on the subject.

On a related topic, I understand that virtually all cats on these islands are wild and nocturnal, and that they feed off the rat population.

Thanks,

Richard

that's true sita, we do have a problem worldwide, but next time you go out to a fancy restaurant in san diego, picture four dogs with mange and their ribs sticking out begging you for food. in moorea as I said, there are 14000 residents and approx 6000 strays...

im sure the minister of tourism doesn't give a hoot about it, but i have nothing to lose. i'd rather the animals be euthanized than suffering and reproducing.

i have traveled all over the world and never seen an overpopulation problem to this extent.

just my opinion.

Euthenasia is far more humane than allowing likely diseased dogs to roam, looking for the tiniest morssel of food to perhaps survive one more day...not to mention the puppies nursing off a skin and bones mother that is so weak she can hardly walk!!

I too appreciate the email and wrote the Minister of Tourism a letter today. I'll report back if I hear any response.

Thanks for the advice. We hope to do the PG next year and I will definitely keep it in mind.

As someone who dearly loves her four-legged children, may I say what a true pleasure it is to encounter such caring people.

I hope I get the pleasure of meeting each of you some day on a cruise.

Kathy

Hi all:

I also think it is VERY commendable to take the time to write the minister of tourism re this issue. I am going to do this as soon as I get home tonight. I am also a huge animal lover, and seeing all the stray dogs on Moorea was heart breaking. My husband and I saw stray dogs wading in the shallow water on the beach and our taxi driver told us that they were hunting for fish. It is a very sad, complicated situation and I wish there was more that could be done.

Diane Palmer

Had to respond to this depressing info and will certainly e mail my thoughts to them.

I happen to live part of the year in Phuket,Thailand where I am happy to say that there are many "FARANGS"OR EX PATS working toward solving a very similair problem.

Particularly noteworthy the amazing efforts of a Dutch Lady,Margot Park,running an organisation that has an excellent programme that involves bringing over young European vets on a working vacation,where they set up operating tents on many beach areas and treat as many of the local strays as possible in the hope of reducing the overbreeding and treating mange.

Plus folks are giving homes to many of the dogs that are abandoned and left with the Monks in the Temples,where they are unable to feed them properly.

Think I will skip FP until their animal rights situation improves !

There is an even sadder part of this situation that I have been hesitant to mention. In some part of French Polynesian tradition, it is acceptable to eat dog meat. Or so I have been told there, and I hope it is not (or is no longer) true. Nonetheless, we must all realize that this IS true in China and much of East Asia, and even in "China Town" in San Francisco, CA. I can recall when I lived in northern CA 30 years ago that when I visited "China Town" there were grocery markets selling "dog." This disgusts me. But I must remember that I once was one of the last "Oklahoma cowboys" working a ranch which marketed cattle for beef.

But, to me, my dogs were always different than the cattle. Now, when my wife and I have steak for dinner, so do our dogs (and the same is true when we have anything that the dogs can eat). Our dogs are "house dogs" that go outside only when "nature dictates." And this has been the case with all their "predicessor dogs" with whom I've lived for the last 58 years. Part of the family.

So, where do I draw the line? If I refuse to go to French Polynesia, I certainly must refuse to go to East Asia and even to San Francisco! And then, my family must become vegitarians ---- and the first ones to complain about this are our dogs!

Maybe the line is drawn by the fact that the dogs are allowed to literally starve to death in Polynesia. This is cruel. Even though I was a ranch worker, I know our cattle were certainly NOT starved. Quite the opposite was true.

I must confess that in the three weeks we spent in Polynesia on the PG in the last three years, I did not have to see any starving dogs. But I did see dogs in dire need of medical care, and it was a very depressing part of what was otherwise a very good vacation. And all the dogs I saw seemed to be wondering about Moorea and Bora Bora in a state of semi-domestication. Neither fearing humans, nor caring much about their presence. Never did I witness dogs begging for food. This, in itself, disturbed me. What dogs do not beg for food? Mine certainly do, even when they have been fed more than any dog should eat! Have the dogs of Polynesia simply given up?

I have no answers here. Only questions. I only know that, for us, a land vacation in Polynesia does not make sense, and the "dog situation" is one of the reasons (but not the only one). In Polynesia, the term "stay on the water and play on the water" applies. At least, there are no abused dogs there.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

FYI - in the People's Republic of California, we have some very strict laws on the books about animal welfare and anyone who would kill a dog for food or any other purpose that was not an animal shelter, would be at risk for a felony conviction of animal cruelty. There was a huge uproar recently in our budget talks about the Governor cutting funding for animal services and his own children had that faux pax quickly reversed and animal welfare funding was restored.

Archived