Girls' Getaway?

SusieV

Hi Brenda,

Of course I remember you! How are you and Dudley doing? Things are well here, Dan's away playing bridge professionally this summer and I'm just taking it easy and working on my weightloss program.

Thanks for the suggestions, I know the airfare is going to be the problem. I am hoping that I might be able to use miles, because I can't see my flight being less than $400. It's me and two other girls, one who lives in Kansas and the other who lives in Seattle, so I figure they'll get a better rate than I will. Buffalo's not far but I don't have a car so I'll have to see if bus fare to Buffalo eats up the savings.

Did you like Chicago? One of the other girls suggested that but I wasn't sure what to do there. I kind of figured that NYC would cost too much after air.

Hi Susie:) I just saw a wonderful show on Food Network in Chicago:D

(Besides having a long time friend who lives there)....plenty to do

and see.

Ever watch Giada De Laurentis on Food Network? She has her

"Weekend Getaways" now on there and last weekend they showed

her in CHI TOWN;)...oh my....if nothing else, the food looked

FABULOUS:D.

Hope you end up finding a trip everyone will enjoy:)

I love Celebrity and really didn't have much fun on my two RCL cruises - Sovereign of the Seas- no way! Cabins are tiny. Not a good choice.

But for a girl's getaway- I'd do an all inclusive. If you all book the same room- it will be cheap and much more spacious then four to a room on a ship. Inside cabin- no way! That doesn't sound like much of a getaway to me. I'd hate that.

Do Iberostar in Dominican Republic or Iberostar or Barcello in Riviera Maya (outside Cancun). Both of these come highly recommended and depending on when you book- you can get a really good deal. And the all inclusives truly are- no tipping necessary and all beverages- including alcohol.

Argh, it's starting to look like we won't be able to do a cruise. Apparently one woman's husband is a worrier and he'd prefer that she stay in the continental USA.

Oh well! I'm sure we'll figure something out. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

maybe you could cruise around Lake Meade or Lake Powell, then? :D

I'm looking for a girls getaway for my sis's 50th b'day this December. I've been posting on a non-cruise web site (Frommer's - Travel Talk - Trip Idea - Women Travelers). You might want to post the question there for a bigger variety of responses.

Since my sis likes the beach, I'm considering -

- Sanibel Island, FL

- Rocky Point, Mexico (flying into Tucson, renting a car and driving to Rocky Point - also known as Puerto Penasco)

thanks for posting - this is giving me more ideas too!

Argh, it's starting to look like we won't be able to do a cruise. Apparently one woman's husband is a worrier and he'd prefer that she stay in the continental USA.

Oh well! I'm sure we'll figure something out. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

How about a New England cruise?

I see you are from Canada- April is a good season for anywhere really.

I'd look for cheap airfare first and then take it from there. It sounds like it will be four to a room- so that will certainly cut costs.

I personally love Florida. Easter is in March this year- so there will be good deals in April. Orlando has fantastic resorts and time share condo places. But you will need a car there. Restuarants are also good in Orlando. I have been many places in Florida and just love Orlando. Best value in my view. Seaworld is awesome if you haven't been there.

Three actually, but yes we plan to split.

Florida is good even if you don't have kids? I haven't travelled much in the continental US since I was a child. Most of my travel is either bridge related or outside North America.

Three actually, but yes we plan to split.

Florida is good even if you don't have kids? I haven't travelled much in the continental US since I was a child. Most of my travel is either bridge related or outside North America.

Hi Susie, I live in Florida and yes there is plenty to see even

if you don't have kids:D :) ;)

Everyone thinks of of Mickeyland (which is the usual thing to think

of)but there are other choices and all are excellent (in my opinion).

Seaworld is great....EPCOT is my personal favorite of ALL the parks.

Countries of the World is fabulous........there is the Animal Kingdom

and MGM studios.

It you prefer Universal that is there as well.....(East of Disney off

I-4), there is also City Walk which is great for evenings.

Yes, there is plenty to do in Florida without kids!

Hi Susie, I live in Florida and yes there is plenty to see even

if you don't have kids:D :) ;)

Everyone thinks of of Mickeyland (which is the usual thing to think

of)but there are other choices and all are excellent (in my opinion).

Seaworld is great....EPCOT is my personal favorite of ALL the parks.

Countries of the World is fabulous........there is the Animal Kingdom

and MGM studios.

It you prefer Universal that is there as well.....(East of Disney off

I-4), there is also City Walk which is great for evenings.

Yes, there is plenty to do in Florida without kids!

Epcot is a great idea! DH and I lived right outside the gates of WDW for a year and went to Epcot once a week. It was so adult and we had a blast. Eating, drinking, lots of entertainment, strolling hand-in-hand, very romantic - at the same time it could be a girl's getaway. Some of the resorts have great pools - met some women from Tampa at the Trout Pass Bar at Wilderness Lodge having their own little getaway. One woman had a special drink recipe - "Pink Monorail" - that the bartender would make for her. It inspired me so much I included it in my book. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there biggerbearmom,

I was just wondering where you are in n. cali, and what your pups name is. Have you had her since she was a pup? The reason I ask is she/he looks like my pup I had when I lived in ca.. Her name was Ethel, and she is in n.ca somewhere up by Redding. Long story.....If you want , I'll tell ya....But, I have not seen my Ethel girl in a few years, and I know many pugs look a like....

SusieV, I would make certain that if you consider Florida, you make sure it is not a school holiday. Otherwise, the resorts will be full of families and can be a bit much, IMO.

I am not a theme park person but I enjoy some of the more spectacular resorts in the area like Portofino Bay Hotel. We go just for the pool (there are two, one for kids and a quiet one) and for some shopping and entertainment in the area, though not Universal.

I am really not a fan of Orlando at all. I am a beach person and enjoy long weekends in Fort Lauderdale where there is lots to do, great beaches and good nightlife as well as shopping. Tampa/Clearwater is a wonderful area and my favorite part of the state. I lived there for many years and there is so much to do and the gulf beaches are calm and pretty. Again, stay away from any spring break times.

Key West has gone from being a quaint place to an area of chain stores and restaurants. If that is your preference, you might like it. I don't.

For an adult vacation in Florida, I would choose Tampa area first, followed by Fort Lauderdale.

[quote name='SusieV']My friends and I are trying to decide what to do for our girls' getaway in the spring. We're looking at doing a 3-4 night trip.

We're still brainstorming and not sure what to do yet. One idea is Vegas, another is a cruise. What would you suggest?

Or do you think we should just skip the cruise idea and go to Vegas or somewhere else instead? Suggestions welcome![/QUOTE]

In April and early May there are Pacific Coastal cruises from L.A. or San Francisco to Vancouver. These are the cruiseships repositioning for the Alaska cruise season and they're usually 3 to 5 nights. Cruises are very reasonably priced. Airfare?:eek:

Might be something that would work for your group.

Archived