"Dress code" in the dining rooms

Cjw0808

I am soon going on the NCL Majesty with my family and I have a question about the "dress code" in the dining rooms. Is it allowed to just wear a collared shirt and a pair of khaki pants for teenage boys during dinner? Please answer me back if you can. Thank you. :cool:

I am soon going on the NCL Majesty with my family and I have a question about the "dress code" in the dining rooms. Is it allowed to just wear a collared shirt and a pair of khaki pants for teenage boys during dinner? Please answer me back if you can. Thank you. :cool:

In fact your entire family, adults too can dress that way. Resort Casual is perfectly acceptable by all in all dining rooms at all times on board, even on the "optional formal night." (aka "dress as you like night.") I have never worn more than a polo shirt, kahki pants and sneakers to dinner any night on any NCL cruise.

The joy of Freestyle to dress as you feel comfortable.

Is resort casual acceptable in Le Bistro? No jacket?

Resort casual is acceptable for every activity on the ship. No reason for a jacket.

Frankly, there is no good reason for a jacket on any mass-market cruise line--other than that some pretentiously require men to wear one. But only on "these" nights, not on "those" nights. :rolleyes:

Perfect...you will do fine.

Enjoy your cruise:)

We were on the Star June23 and resort casual was certainly acceptable in the dining room for dinner. The hostess did refuse to seat an adult male who showed up in a baseball hat and shorts and he was sent back to his cabin to change.

We were on the Star June23 and resort casual was certainly acceptable in the dining room for dinner. The hostess did refuse to seat an adult male who showed up in a baseball hat and shorts and he was sent back to his cabin to change.

It is good to hear that the Star has crew who will enforce the rules!!!

Yeah. Man, what is with adult men who wear ball caps in restaurants?

Unfortunately, people think that wearing a cap inside is "stylish." It is a part of our society. In the halls at school, the statement that we have to say to the kids the most is: "take that hat off inside." I've had kids take it off and put it back on after they get by me. (I, of course, then turn around and then confiscate the hat or the teacher behind me does....lol).

I don't see the "style" in constantly wearing a hat, to me it seems impolite. That's what God gave us hair for...well at least some of you....:D

But unfortunately, I think the offending party was sent away for wearing shorts and not the hat. If he had the hat on with long pants, nothing probably would have been said!

Two years ago, on the old NCL Sea, the kid in front of us was wearing a baseball cap and was asked to remove it as we entered the restaurant. What amazed me most is that it wasn't during dinner hours -- it was for the chocoholic buffet :) . They were pretty strictly enforcing the dress code on that ship at the time.

Like Don said, however, the dress code does keep getting modified -- in an even "less dressy" fashion. On our recent cruise on the Pearl, the stated dress code, in the freestyle daily, was "After 5:30 pm no shorts, tank tops or track suits are permitted in any of our restaurants except Garden Cafe". No mention of jeans, and now that I read it carefully, no mention of baseball caps either. Someone asked at our cruise critic meet and greet with the ship's staff about the relaxed dress code, and the answer was that it should be the same fleetwide and that it had been modified to meet the desire of most of their passengers.

While I wouldn't go with anything but jeans to wear, there's a good chance that they'd be allowed.

How many times do I have to post today's hat ettiquette rules?

From http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/accessories/90

1. In a public building, a man may keep his hat on in the corridors and in elevators. When one enters a room, one should remove one’s hat.

2. Once upon a time, a man was supposed to remove his hat if a lady entered the elevator, an elevator being analogous to a room, but today elevators are so crowded, often with ladies, that it is more prudent to keep it on one’s head, where it doesn’t compete for floor space.

3. A gentleman removed his hat when greeting a woman friend on the street; this was usually done with the left hand in case she offered her hand for a shake. If they should happen to walk together, or if the weather was bad, he would feel free to put his hat back on.

4. Always removed a hat for the national anthem (my country, right or wrong) and for the passing of a flag or a funeral procession, and he lifted it when passing a church. Today one also removes one’s hat (and shoes) when being frisked at the airport.

5. As for hat storage, a restaurant should be prepared for the possible onslaught of civilization, and so, if there is no proper storage, one should ask the host, hostess or waitperson where one might temporarily store one’s hat. If the facility provides no suitable accommodation and no unused chair is handy, a gentleman is justified in leaving it on, at a rakish angle proportionate with his degree of displeasure.

Old timers hat ettiquette rules:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

HatEtiquette.gif

1. Hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady

2. Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators.

3. Hats are removed for the National Anthem, passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.

4. Removed hats are held in hand in such a way that only the outside and never the lining is visible.

Cowboy hat etiquette:

http://www.bcvc.net/hats/

The Rules..

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:

1.Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.

2.Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).

Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

A man tips or lifts his hat:

(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;

(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;

(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;

(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;

(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):

(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;

(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);

(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;

(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;

(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,

(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, courtroom or restaurant) except:

(1) in some public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;

(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;

(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;

(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;

(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;

(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

(7) If the man is an actor or performer and the hat is being worn as a part of a costume or performance.

School teachers removing hats and caps from school children in school corridors are breaking hat ettiquette rules that have been around for centuries! Corridors is amongst the few places indoors where hats being worn are allowed!

Per GQ Magazine, hosts and restaurants have responsiblities to provide a safe place to store hats. If they don't, and there isn't a free chair at your table, keeping the hat on is okay.

Archived