How do you choose your cruise?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you choose your cruise?

• By ship: I always sail on MY ship!
    • By Itinerary: Whichever ship will take where I want to go
    • By port: I almost always return to the "same scene"
    • by Price: Whichever cruise is the best value when I want to go
    • by date: I'm limited to the times I can choose
    • by accident: someone else chooses, I just go along for the ride!

Hi divinggirl,

I am not questioning your knowledge. and very glad you pick "our" cruise but..

just out of curiosity I checked info on NCL Sun:

Doesn't look to OLD to me ;)

Until you've been on the Gorky, you don't know what old is.

Doesn't look to OLD to me
I think she is referring to the SEA. Built 1988, so not new, but I wouldn't call her "old" either. Certainly not ADMIRAL NAKHIMOV old ;) ! (I'm still blown away that you were actually on that ship, I've always been fascinated by her.)

I was on SEA in 1996 when she was SEAWARD. Had a very enjoyable cruise, but I am not fond of the ship. She is leaving the NCL fleet next year to go to Star Cruises in Asia.

Until you've been on the Gorky, you don't know what old is.
I assume you don't mean MAXIM GORKIY (built 1969)?

NCL Sun is about three years old. Very nice ship, I have been on her twice. Some people don't like NCL, but we have had several good cruises on NCL. Food may not be as good as Celebrity, but entertainment is top notch and they have about 5 very good alternative restaurants.

This ship seemed to have a predisposition to sink. Yep, that's old.

Gorky is still in service running around the Med.

The "interesting" part of story...it sunk 4 month after my cruise. So it could be me :eek: . If you noticed it sunk after collision with M/S Pjotr Wassjew . It happened around 2:00 AM :eek: (my mother's coworkers were on her and survived)

our first cruise DH and I won on skyauction on the century... Boy what a deal!! Doubt we will ever get that lucky again:p Then we won a cruise on rccl ... turned out not to be that great of a bargain:( Now our next cruise in September is on the Zuiderdam through an internet TA and got another great deal bought a balconly for the price of an outside and then they upgraded us to a S suite!!:D I will keep looking for the deals!

Beat that!
Try DOULOS, built 1914 and still in active service... Albiet no longer as a passenger ship (though she's still classed as a passenger/general cargo ship by RINA). More on her history here.

This ship seemed to have a predisposition to sink.
If you mean ADMIRAL NAKHIMOV... Her problem was that she had no watertight compartments.

Gorky is still in service running around the Med.
If you mean MAXIM GORKIY she's running all over the world, not just the Med. In fact she comes to NYC a couple of times a year.

Anyhow she was built in 1969, not really that old at all.

Price is first since I'm a single. I hate the double payments. :D

where it is going since I choose to go different places

Cruise line, Princess is looked at first then others. I also look to see if I have a newer ship as I'm disabled and the newer the better for me. :p

First itinerary -then length of cruise -then price -then cruiseline. We LOVE Europe and Asia; WHAT adventures in learning those exotic ports are! WE live in Colorado- Ol' LANDlocked Colorado- so LONGer the cruise the better. WE chose cabin/deal within a budget we can afford - and MOSTLY cruise HAL or Cunard. Our next adventure in Cunard's "QMary2" in October -a crossing with a WHOLE week in London JUST in time for Christmas shopping! After that its 62 day Pacific Rim cruise on HAL's "Amsterdam" in fall 2005 going around the Rim from Seattle to San Diego. Someone mentioned the hassle of airports -and I TOTALLY agree; Airports are just to get you TO the greatest way to travel in the world; The comfort, ease.....and adventure -of a cruise!

Anne

This is a very revealing trend. And this is exactly why HAL isn't what it once was. Most people seem to go by itinerary or price, not cruise line or ship. This is a big reason why ships, lines, cruise products in the mainstream are so much the same these days and not as distinguished as they once were.

I'd like to see the same question asked on Crystal or Radisson boards. I think that more would choose by line and ship than by itinerary.

I chose by ship. Sometimes I'll choose itinerary but it must be a line that I'm interested in as well.

I voted "By Ship" however pricing comes into play a very close second. I have been very lucky to cruise on many ships over the years to many locations so the ship is the main priority now.

How do you choose your cruises - by boat, by itinerary, by port, by price or by accident?

Archived