Dunn's River Falls - man made?

corky4man

Interesting, I've read a number of posts in the past few months stating that the falls are at least partially man-made. Having never been there I wouldn't know if that's possible or not but I certainly lost some interest after reading these posts.

There has been some addition of steps and especially around the bridge some strengthening and smoothing. But the basic attraction was around in the 60's and sure wasn't man made back then!

Parts of the Bond flick Dr No were filmed at DRF .. that's the folk lore anyway

• 7 months later...

I think the falls is completely man-made. We walked up it 2 weeks ago and I felt that the whole way up. When we got home I went out on to flash earth and looked at satellite pictures, there is NO RIVER to follow, about 1/4 mile inland you can see some huge tanks and about 1/2 mile inland you can see what appears to be a giant pumping station. I believe it is man-made.....but still a very nice and fun attraction so who really cares.

I think the falls is completely man-made. We walked up it 2 weeks ago and I felt that the whole way up. When we got home I went out on to flash earth and looked at satellite pictures, there is NO RIVER to follow, about 1/4 mile inland you can see some huge tanks and about 1/2 mile inland you can see what appears to be a giant pumping station. I believe it is man-made.....but still a very nice and fun attraction so who really cares.

care to provide a link? I can't believe that!

Try:

http://www.airtours.co.uk/AniteNextPage.asp?p=TGLRESTRAVELGUIDE&xml=GEOGRAPHICID%2021857&xml=GENSEASONID%20&xml=STO%20N,MYTTRAVGUIDE,PLACESTOSEE&xml=STO%20N,MYTMETA,PLACESTOSEE&xml=REUSEINFOTYPE%20PLACESTOSEE&s=755713786

http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?p=62569

These were the only sites where I could find any mention of it being man-made.

Although I did google map "dunn river fall, Jamaica" and the satellite map does seem to show a pumping station

It was still a lot of fun regardless

People get the impression that DRF is man made because there are areas that have been enhanced with cement to make it more manageable on foot.

It's a completely natural river. With the amount of rain that falls in the mountains in Jamaica the LAST thing they would need is a fake river!

Dunn's is actually spring fed hence the lack of visible feed from the mountains.

http://www.jamaica-beaches-lovers.com/dunns-river-falls.html

Archived