Ladies - What do you wear on formal nights?

What do you wear on formal nights?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What do you wear on formal nights?

• Cocktail dress
    • Floor length dress
    • Suit
    • Other

It's become a lot less formal since we first started cruising 20 years ago. Back then it wasn't unusual to see ladies in ball gowns. I have a closet full of nice, long, summery, very light weight, mostly floral dresses. I'm sick of seeing us all in black. It's pretty, but a sea of black doesn't make much of a fashion statement. I use to wear the sequins and all that but I think that's rather passe. Now I can pack a lot of April Cornell dresses which don't weight much and are color and very feminine.

.......because I have worn all of the above;)

I have worn gowns, cocktail dresses, dressy pants suits......what

else?:D oh, long dressy skirts (yes with tops:) )

So I could not vote for only 1.

I also voted other. Since I primarily cruise NCL and their formal nights are optional I usually wear anything from black pants and a cute top to a cocktail dress. I've never worn a floor length dress but I would like to one day.

I have a copper colored floor length gown, taffeta, with off the shoulder neckline, a ruched bodice and a lovely tapering skirt in the back. One of my favorites.

I just got a new ice blue satin Jessica McClintock gown, with a fitted bodice with silvery/ice blue lace, strapless, and matching bolero of the same lace. It's exquisite, makes me feel like Cinderella, and was on sale!

The dressier the better, I love it!

Jane :rolleyes:

blk, brn, off wht, w/lovely to verry fancy tops..a mix of CW pants, skirts, slinky pants...I love all the various choices I have on my "rolly cruise clothes rack"..makes planning for all the next ones, summer, fall winter n spring easy, as I tend to go the seasonal for myself. The shoes and bags are sometimes repeats on the same cruise

On first formal night I wear the gown, on the second formal night I'll do either another gown or ankle length or a cocktail dress. On shorter cruises I wear a cocktail dress. I love dressing up on formal nights! My husband does too so he bought his own tux. We leave this weekend for a little cruise and it will be our 5 yr old son's first cruise and he insists on a tux! He wants to look like Daddy.

Kerrie:)

I always wear full-length dresses, and LOVE it! I wear cocktail dresses other nights, especially if we go to the specialty restaurants.

For me it is a really great excuse to dress up, and to get DH in a tux!

I had to vote "other", because I've done several of the choices.

I have a few long dresses (I wouldn't call them gowns, just long sparkly evening dresses in easy to pack knits) Gowns I consider to be skirted in a heavier fabric, floor length...I won't pack one of those ever again for a cruise. I have some seperates (black skirt, evening jacket or top) I have a dressy pants suit, I have a few cocktail dresses.

I think it depends on the cruise line and the itinerary. I cruise local once or twice a year, just short cruises, for those I'll not bother with a long dress at all. I think the nicer the ship, the nicer I will try to dress for formal nights.

I also think it depends completely on the dress you find. If you absolutely fall in love with a full skirted ball gown, wear it and feel beautiful, I always appreciate seeing women looking gorgeous on formal night :)

Archived