Comfortable boats in Russia

Thrifty

A number of posts have suggested that most of the river boats that ply between St. Petersburg and Moscow are of Soviet-era design and are not very comfortable. I am not interested in luxury, but comfort of the three or four star variety is one of the reasons we go to the trouble and expense of travelling half way around the world. Can anyone suggest the name of one or more boats that have cabins and beds in which someone with three or four star aspirations would be comfortable? (Anyone who would prefer to share their secret with just one beneficiary at a time is encouraged to use a private post.) My wife and I both thank anyone who replies; she's the one who is determined to go to St. Petersburg.

Just returned from a GCT trip on the M.S. Rossia...was refurbed a few months ago. Rooms 120-150 sq. ft., twin beds that can be pushed together, wonderful bath, enclosed shower with sliding doors...was not expecting much and was surprised at how nice it was. Only have gone on one other river cruise with Viking in China had a balcony, 220sq foot room on a ship only a few months old. Felt that this ship was just as comfortable.

Enjoy

Luxury and Russia river ships are an oxymoron. You will not fing anything near seadream.. Vikig is supposed to the gutting the Sukhov over the winter to give 160 sq. ft cabins. Right now GCT has the nicest cabins afloat. It is rather primitive sailing, but no line tries to mask the smallnes and age of its boats. Pat

Hi Lori,

Are you going to do a trip report on your trip? Would love to hear about it. Am going on the Rossia in the Fall. Any suggestions or advice? Did you have adequate hair dryers throughout your trip?

Thanks

gbs.............Russia was amazing. GCT overall did a better than average job. Food good to above average, especially presentation.....but then that means you get less:D Never heard any pax complain about it. It fact heard many compliments. Of course expectations were low.

I have long thick/fine hair to the middle of my back hair dryers weren't a problem.

Don't know about writng a review but can answer your questions.

Viking seems to be having trouble this season filling up its vessels.

Seems like every month I am getting 2 for 1 email offers from Viking on their Russian cruises as well as some of their other European River cruises.

It is either a slow booking season or Viking are they are having troubles. Either way Viking is not selling well this season it appears.

Spoke with a Viking representative on the telephone trying to get us to book a 2008 cruise. Asked if we paid full price on a 2008 cruise that he was offering would we get a rebate if Viking started offering 2 for 1 cruises in 2008 like they are in 2007. The answer was NO. Told him we will wait for the 2008 2 for 1 booking price sales. He was not a happy camper.

Hi Lori,

Did you do the pre or post trip? What type of clothing were most people wearing? Did you do any optional excursions, or did you find great things to do on your own?

No pre or post for us....But those who went on the pre had a great time about twice as many were going on the post.

Women: same clothing we wear in the US...lots of jeans...young people wore high heels and stylish outfits. In California the young have gone to showing less tummy this season, but in Russia it was still the rage and short jean skirts abounded.

Men: jeans or chicos and a button down shirt, no shorts except toursits.

We were spoken to in Russian often so that lets you know any dress goes.

But my DH in Europe always wears the dress button down shirts.

We did all the optionals except for the the folklore show which many people though was their favorite optional.....and the Tretyakov Galley as it conflicted with Star city.

On our own we walked to the church on spilled blood and took the metro to Red square. A group of women made their own reservations for a ballet and attended the night we went to the Swan Lake ballet optional. Many did things on their own, utilizng their director or the hotel staff for directions or ideas.

And as usual there is never enough time for shopping. But both hotels and the ship have a nice selection of merchandise.

Women: same clothing we wear in the US...lots of jeans...young people wore high heels and stylish outfits. In California the young have gone to showing less tummy this season, but in Russia it was still the rage and short jean skirts abounded.

Lori - so glad that your leopard skin blouse and spandex capris fit it with what the Russians were wearing :)

Lori - so glad that your leopard skin blouse and spandex capris fit it with what the Russians were wearing :)

Funny that you should mention this Theresa as many wore the leopard print......including our main guide.

As usual I took leave behind clothing that was no longer in style in my area, most of it being short waisted so I fit right in with the clothing unfortunately there was an age gap :D so many young people in the major cities you must have felt right at home.

talk later,

Hi again Lori,

Another question, did you get any rubles beforehand? How much? How about American dollars?

Thanks for your information.

No rubles before hand..easy to get with cash/atm at the hotels, better rates in Moscow.

I just exchanged $200. that was more than enough for entry fees/snacks, but if you are planning to eat out alot then you will need more. I made all my purchases/tips in dollars but if you purchase anything in the museums they want rubles. The dollar is valued in Russia unlike the EU countries.

All street vendors will cut you a deal if paying in US cash especailly on expensive items.

Enjoy

Land Lover: Thank you. I didn't receive a substantive reply {lthough there was a courteous acknowledgement) for so many days that I had given up. Then, on impulse, I tried once more and there your message was along with a nymber of others. The GCT ships certainly look comfortable, so we'll investigate further. Thanks again. Sbis

Land Lover: Thank you. I didn't receive a substantive reply {lthough there was a courteous acknowledgement) for so many days that I had given up. Then, on impulse, I tried once more and there your message was along with a nymber of others. The GCT ships certainly look comfortable, so we'll investigate further. Thanks again. Sbis

What sold me was the hotel stays....the whole trip exceded my expectations...this was our first time with GCT(we were the youngest on our trip)but it was paced right with optionals still allowing free time. I have never worked with a tour company that provided so much detailed info before, during or after a trip.

As landlover stated gct has not one but two ships- the rossia and the tiki don that have large rooms with two seperate beds as standard. we took the june 7 2007 tiki don cruise and it was beautiful. ship,rooms,food were great. i would recommend that you check out gct for russian river cruises.

On our cruise a young 70, we actually were the yongest couple at 49,51. But their was a 19 year old girl travelling with GP's and Mom and 2, 30 something guys with parents.....The only complaint I have about the 30 pax we were grouped with is we always were on time but everyone else was 15 minutes early, which made it look like we were late...;)

Viking seems to be having trouble this season filling up its vessels.

Seems like every month I am getting 2 for 1 email offers from Viking on their Russian cruises as well as some of their other European River cruises.

It is either a slow booking season or Viking are they are having troubles. Either way Viking is not selling well this season it appears.

Spoke with a Viking representative on the telephone trying to get us to book a 2008 cruise. Asked if we paid full price on a 2008 cruise that he was offering would we get a rebate if Viking started offering 2 for 1 cruises in 2008 like they are in 2007. The answer was NO. Told him we will wait for the 2008 2 for 1 booking price sales. He was not a happy camper.

Very interesting that you mentioned this. While DH and I were shopping for a river boat cruise we called Viking first to put a hold on a cabin and were offered a big discount if we paid in full that day. We said we weren't expecting to pay that kind of money today, we have to think about it. Let me tell you, she called several times for our decision of when we were going to pay for the cruise. I haven't thought about until now but I don't ever remember a cruiseline calling me back to ask for my money.

Perhaps they are in need of cash.

Archived