NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Thank you CC cruisers for alerting me to the ending of the Compass Reward program. I did not receive the letter or could have thrown it away mistaking it for junk mail.

I need to know if I have all the facts:

BOA will automatically send to me by 1/31/09 all the certificates I have earned.

I have until 1/31/2010 to use the certificates and sailing must the completed by 1/31/2011.

Much appreciated.

Thank you CC cruisers for alerting me to the ending of the Compass Reward program. I did not receive the letter or could have thrown it away mistaking it for junk mail.

I need to know if I have all the facts:

BOA will automatically send to me by 1/31/09 all the certificates I have earned.

I have until 1/31/2010 to use the certificates and sailing must the completed by 1/31/2011.

Much appreciated.

You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking. So, if you certificates are issued on January 10, 2009 (they will be issuing certificates during the entire month of January 2009), you must apply them to a booking by Januray 9, 2010. The cruise may take place anytime before January 21, 2011 (I believe this refers to the departure date, not the completion date, but I am not sure.)

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise. It is generally accepted that anthing between 100 adn 499 points is almost worthless, since they are only good for upgrades.

They may be updating this link as more questions roll in:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#CompassRewards

Cashbacks are a joke. They state 1% but that after you have charged $1000-$3000. Even Discover's Gas card has a $100 ceiling for 5% which gets me 7 blockbuster movies every 4 months. SO FORGET THEM!

Then Citi HiltonHHonor Signature Visa which is so much better than B of A's which is WORLDPOINT REWARDS. You get 3 points per $1 for groceries & gasoline. 5 for Hilton hotels, 2 for everything else. Now if we can get them to get NCL with Carnial or instead of arnival. We are HH members for over 20 years so we get double that points. W are SILVER MEMBERS too for more perks at the hotel.

There is not one card or program that is best, everybody has to do their own calculations based on spending and desirability of the "reward". Below is a comparison of AmEx Blue and HH. I ran annual spending of $3000 grocery + $4000 gas + $25,000 other.

AmEx Blue - First we have to account for the lowest tier $0-$6500 = 1% on grocery/gas and .5% on other.

Grocery $800 = $8 + gas $600 = $6 + other $5100 = $25

Then after $6500 in charges it's 5% on grocery & gas and 1% other

Grocery $3200 = $160 + gas $2400 = $120 + $19,900 other = $199

Total cash back $518

HH - Grocery & gas $7000 = 21,000pts + $25,000 other = 50,000pts

Total points 71,000. A free hotel night ranges from 7,500 - 40,000pts based on location and date. If you travel to popular destinations in prime season those points won't go as far as off season non-tourist destinations. :(

Of course if you are a longtime HH member like Aft-Lover and you get double points awarded then certainly that boosts the HH earnings. ;)

I also use Discover, where you can earn 5% (only up to $400 spending) in a different category each quarter. I only use Discover for the 5% bonus, up to the $400 max. The catch here is that you can get your reward in cash or gift certificates, I redeem for Crabtree & Evelyn where $40 redeemed gives me an $80 gift card. :D

I also use cards that earn miles for Delta , USAir and Northwest. My point is... run the numbers yourself based on what you spend and what you want to earn. Good luck!

Well, today I cancelled one on my BOA compass cards, called and have $1,500 in compass awards being sent to me $1,000 from one card and another $500 from another.

I'm hoping to earn another $500 compass award before 12/31/08. Paying on two NCL cruises and timeshare maintenance fees and Christmas shopping should just about do it. :)

Now, what card to get next I have no clue. It's so very confusing to me. I have an AMEX Delta card that I used before the NCL cards but it seems I can never get flights when I need them.

Any info you all find on the best card please post. I will be watching this thread. Looks like the Blue AMEX so far but what do I know. LOL

Edited by judyf

Unfortunately Yes! The points don't count till they are posted, and that doesn't happen till the end of your billing cycle. You don't have to wait till the bill comes in the mail. You can see the statement online the same day that you account recycles. They will honor the points then.

If you plan to cancel the card, I would just stop using it and wait for the points to be posted.

I know this has been asked before, but I'm having trouble with search. I have 499 points as of my last statement. By now I am surely over 500. Do I really have to wait until my next statement to redeem them? Thank you!

The points are not credited to your account until the next closing statement. If you call the toll free number on the back of the card, you can get an automated balance, and it will be 499 until your next closing statement. Once that date has past, you can request your certificate if you need it before the end of January. Otherwise, I would wait, so that the certificate will be good for longer, in case your plans change.

I'm a little confused on the cut-off date for earning points. Sorry if this is a repeat question. Is the cutoff the end of the December billing cycle (mine is Dec 5) or is it December 31st for everybody? Thanks.

You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

For any certificates in the $100 amount, will you have to use them for upgrades, or are they going to allow you to put them towards the cost of the cruise? I figure I will be at about 900 points when they kill the program. I would really hate to loose $400. Thanks for the help.

For any certificates in the $100 amount, will you have to use them for upgrades, or are they going to allow you to put them towards the cost of the cruise? I figure I will be at about 900 points when they kill the program. I would really hate to loose $400. Thanks for the help.

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

I take this to mean that anything under $500 gets you the usual upgrade certificates... which is why so many of us are being "creative" in our charging to get to the next $500 certificate before New Year's Eve! I just purchase enough gift cards at the local grocery store to get to the max of $8,400 for this billing cycle so I will get 250 points this month. Next month there will be more holiday expenses, and I am looking into purchasing coins from the US Mint (see above for discussion about this) so I can get the max 250 for next month as well. Since my billing cycle is mid month, I will see how many points I need to get to 1,000 by the end of the year, and if I don't have enough charges, I will just buy more grocery store gift cards. We will be using grocery gift cards the first half of the year (and I will have paid ahead of time for our food, but I will have my 1,000 points! Some are also buying cards for gas stations as well.

c breeze,

Thanks for the quick response. I have 369 points now. I ordered coins from the Mint today for 90 points. With a cruise on the Pearl in December and Christmas around the corner I should hit 500 by 12/31. Thanks again.

breezer

I would pre buy some gift cert. to not lose $400.

I'm working on my next $500. I should have it by 12/31

A quick note about buying gift cards, a story on the news the other night warned about buying gift cards for Christmas due the uncertains times of many retailers. So if you are buying several just to get the points, make sure it is a stable company, if there are any at this time:confused:

A quick note about buying gift cards, a story on the news the other night warned about buying gift cards for Christmas due the uncertains times of many retailers. So if you are buying several just to get the points, make sure it is a stable company, if there are any at this time:confused:

That is a great point! I would only buy gift cards for groceries or gas, and as you said from a stable company. Many gift cards charge fees, inactivity fees, and many compainies are in trouble right now!!!

Thanks!

Cruise-Related Rewards

You may redeem Points and save on the cost of cabin accommodations or shipboard expenses. All reservations and payments related to WorldPoints Cruise Rewards must be made through the WorldPoints Redemption Center. For every 25,000 Points you redeem, you will receive a ($250) discount on the cost of your shipboard cabin accommodations. 25,000 Points = $250 MDV. For every ($100) of shipboard credit you request, you must redeem 10,000 Points. 10,000 Points = $100 MDV. Discount and shipboard credit rewards may not be available on all cruise lines, check at the time of reservation. Cruise-related Rewards may not be used retroactively or to pay the cost of cruise deposits. The cruise discount will not be effective until you have tendered final payment for the travel arrangements. The appropriate number of Points you wish to redeem will be deducted from your total Points earnings when you authorize the billing of the deposit for the reservation to your Card. The amount of the discount may not exceed the total cost of your cruise arrangements.

Miscellaneous charges, including, but not limited to beverages and meals; port charges; taxis and other ground transportation; items of a personal nature (e.g., laundry, dry cleaning, telephone, telefax, internet fees, photographs, medical services, spa services, etc.); excess baggage charges; gratuities; insurance and any other carrier amenities are not eligible for direct offset with the use of cruise-related Rewards, unless such charges are included in the cost of the travel arrangements as quoted by the cruise line operator, or, if such charges are to be paid through use of your shipboard credit portfolio.

There are no exchanges or refunds for no-shows or unused portions of travel arrangements obtained with the use of cruise-related Rewards. If you cancel your travel plans and cancellation fees are assessed, those fees shall be payable with your Card. Cruise-related Rewards cannot be used to pay any portion of cancellation fees. Once a deposit has been paid, we reserve the right to charge you a cancellation fee. If the cruise operator cancels the cruise you have booked, then all or part of the Points used in connection with the booking may be reinstated to your Points earnings at your request. Points which have been reinstated under these circumstances will expire in accordance with the terms of the Program.

https://wwwa.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RMSapp/Ctl/link?eid=F61D305B

If this is what our new program will look like, I am jumping ship, at the end of 2008! This is way too restrictive. Other cards, such as Amex Blue Miles and some Visa/MC travel cards, let you book with anyone you want as long as you use their card to reserve, and then you just have your points applied as a credit to your card. Much more flexible, plus some allow you to earn more than 1%.

I called my mastercard last friday to redeem my $1500 in credits. The customer service rep instantly knew what I was talking about and within 1 minute told me my 3 certificates were on their way. I received them 5 days later and am mailing them out today towards our 3/7/09 sailing. There's no problem using 3 $500 certificated for 2 people right?

Thanks!

I called my mastercard last friday to redeem my $1500 in credits. The customer service rep instantly knew what I was talking about and within 1 minute told me my 3 certificates were on their way. I received them 5 days later and am mailing them out today towards our 3/7/09 sailing. There's no problem using 3 $500 certificated for 2 people right?

Thanks!

No, as long as the 'owner' of the cert is one of the two people booked.

We are all very interested in what the new NCL Worldpoints card and what we will be getting & for how much (ei: $500 credit for $50K in charges).

So whomever is first to receive their new card with welcome package to post what it says & if you are storing it to use on NCL only or if it is worth using for everything (warranty coverage up to additonal year).

We are all very interested in what the new NCL Worldpoints card and what we will be getting & for how much (ei: $500 credit for $50K in charges).

So whomever is first to receive their new card with welcome package to post what it says & if you are storing it to use on NCL only or if it is worth using for everything (warranty coverage up to additonal year).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17031851&postcount=1120

https://wwwa.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RMSapp/Ctl/link?eid=D14BCCDF

While this is not our NCL program, it is BOA World Points general program and I would expect it to be very similar with a "bonus" of double World Points (which are still worth less than are single Compas Reward points) when booking NCL.

I cannot imagine that they would make NCL's program any better than all their other World Points programs..... They could also restrict cruising to NCL and specific NCL cruises, since the card will carry the NCL logo, like they do with RCL and Carnival cards.