NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but have just got done (maybe) with a great run around on redeeming Compass Rewards points. Have had the card for only a few months, so just got to 500 points this past statement. So a few minutes ago I called in to redeem for the $500 certificate. This what it took to complete the transaction:

A) Called number on card: 800-421-2110, after the statement balance info I am given only 3 options "1" to complete a balance transfer, "#" to complete this call, or "please hang up if you are done". Select "0" to see where it will take me and am sent to do a balance transfer. The rep transfers me to WorldPoints where there is no options for Compass Rewards redemption's.

B) Called number on statement: 800-900-6651, get 3 same options and select "1". The rep asks about doing a balance transfer and I request a Compass Rewards certificate. The rep knows nothing about the program, so I thank her and say I will try to complete this online.

C) Go to my current statement on the Bank of America site where there is a Compass Rewards symbol and link in the bottom left corner. Select this and it brings up a NCL site and NCL number.

D) Re-call 800-421-2110 and now select "#", message says thank you and hangs up the call.

E) Try for the third time 800-421-2110 and finally select "1". This rep still wants me to do a balance transfer, but at least she does not transfer me to WorldPoints and does know about Compass Rewards. Asks if I want an upgrade or $500. She completes the $500 certificate and says it is in the mail. We will see if it arrives in a few weeks.

So if you are trying to get a Compass Rewards certificate from Bank America be persistent and keep calling until you get a rep that has a clue about the program. Also either 800 number gets you to the same voice mail options, just select "1" for balance transfers and explain that you want a Compass Rewards certificate and do not want to be transferred to WorldPoints. :eek:

The secret is you have to call the number on the back of the card and be patient. The 'select' numbers don't end when there is a pause...stay on the phone and eventually you will be given the option to press '0' to speak with a representative.

Once you get one, tell them you wish to redeem your points and they will handle it with no problem.

I just did it...once I got a rep, it took all of about 2 minutes to get it done. ;)

*sigh* now my only problem is that on my other card I'll have over 250 points that will just wind up being lost.

I don't think you can upgrade if you have an AF booked, correct?

Edited by halos

When are the final coupons being mailed? We want to use ours but have traveled a lot recently & can't really take more time off.

If we have to sail within 1 year of issuance will we be OK booking a New Year's Eve cruise for next year . . . the begining of 2010?

When are the final coupons being mailed? We want to use ours but have traveled a lot recently & can't really take more time off.

If we have to sail within 1 year of issuance will we be OK booking a New Year's Eve cruise for next year . . . the begining of 2010?

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

NCL is ending the Compass Reward program and as stated in the program terms and conditions, you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate(s) based on your December 31, 2008 point balance. Your final certificate(s) will arrive by mail on or before January 31, 2009. You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise before January 31, 2011. Compass Rewards points will not be transferred to the WorldPoints program.

How many certificates will I receive?

Based on your points balance as of December 31, 2008, you will receive certificates in usual increments of 100 and 500 points toward a stateroom upgrade and/or a discount on your cruise.

What do I need to do to get my certificates?

No action is required by you. Certificates will be automatically sent to you after termination of the Compass Rewards program and you will receive them in the mail by January 31, 2009. Certificates will have one-year expiration and cannot be extended further. However, they can be used toward any NCL cruise that is open for sale.

What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?

You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

Click here: NCL - Compass Rewards Frequently Asked Questions http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#CompassRewards

Edited by c breeze
Add link

I checked BoA site this morning to find the Worldpoints "visa" card posted up. It mentions the 2/1 point per dollar and 5000 bonus points (I wonder if we will get the bonus points when we switch over? Otherwise, if I stay with them, I will cancel my cards and reapply!).

When you click on the card for details, it brings you to the old Compass rewards screen (I was excited at first to see that!) - showing the 3/4 points per dollar.

So, I clicked for online chat, and the online agent had no idea about the programs or that they got it wrong in the link.

So, I called.... 15 minutes later, the rep did find the card, but had no information on the rewards. I tried to tell her, to see if I want to apply for the card, I would like to know the reward schedule to compare to competitors, but she could just tell me that cash rewards start at 2500 points ($12.50 cash) and travel rewards start at 25,000 points.

My guess (although I'm usually an optimist...) is that the rewards will be the same as the basic worldpoints - giving $500 for $50,000 in charges (non NCL), about a third from what we were getting.

If anyone has their statement yet, please let us know what the exchange rate, etc. is...

Thanks!!

I called today to see what my point balance is. While I was on the line I told the rep that I heard that the NCL program was changing. She said that it was not. So either she thought I meant that my actual card, interest, card number, etc. was changing, or maybe NCL and BoA reconsidered things :)

I messed up real bad. :( When I heard about the current awards program being cancelled, I went an ordered my $1500 awards (3 - $500 cert.) :D

I should have left them there and had them send them to me end of Jan so I had the extra time. Now I have to use the $1500 awards I ordered on 11/13 before next Nov. :eek:

The downside is I paid off both my May and Oct 2009 cruises to earn another $500 cert. :D

So now the upside is I have to book another cruise before Nov. 2009 to use the $1500 :p:rolleyes:

Try here https://www.bonuscashcenter.citicards.com/ I finally found a reference to bonus cash center in one websites that mentioned the 400 mercants.

Was just reading thru the fine print. Looks like there is a varing %, not a flat 4% paid. Also looks like for the online merchants, you have to click thru Citi's bonuscashcenter site to earn the money. No different than other 'click-thru' sites that offer rebates.

https://www.bonuscashcenter.citicards.com/view-all-retailers.aspx

to view all retailers = )

both had the WORLDPOINT cards. If you had 2500 points, that got you $25 OBC, but not really. You just cover the last 2 zeros to see your reward but 25000 for $250 OBC. And remember $25,000 to get 25,000 points. Having 100 shares of stock go you $150 OBC - $300 OBC depending on length & accomodations.

So NCL better have a better type of Worldpoints to keep any of us. We are far from stupid!

Just browsing the BoA website and they do offer the Royal Caribbean Visa card. Does anyone know what the reward levels for that card are? From the description and name of the card it doesn't appear to be a WorldPoints card.
Edited by AFT_LOVER

Why not make a reservation for an arbitrary 2010 NCL cruise. It doesn't matter what itinerary. Pay the deposit, get the extra points for making a purchase from NCL. Redeem the compass points for whatever you were trying to save for.

After Jan, when the program expires, cancel the reservation. They'll probably reverse the points with the new program, but most of us are going to cancel the card anyway.

Don't you love the irony of sticking it back to NCL? :-)

Edited by crooooze

a reminder, its probably just best to stop using the card and not canceling it. For some reason it counts against your credit rating if you cancel a card....

Good point. Plus, dont cancel your card especially until after you've heard about the new program. Maybe it wont be as bad as we think. Maybe after a they see 90% of their cardholders call up and complain during the first month they will quick change the program back to what it is now (during which time you'll be scrambling to reapply because you already cancelled your card and cut it up) :)

The problem with the card is that it was originally an MBNA credit card and thney were the ones that started the program. Bank of America took over MBNA and inherited the program. It wasn't long for Bank of america to cancel the program.

The same think happened with the ICruise.com card. They gave 3.3% of rewards. MBNA canceled the program.

Just browsing the BoA website and they do offer the Royal Caribbean Visa card. Does anyone know what the reward levels for that card are? From the description and name of the card it doesn't appear to be a WorldPoints card.

The Royal Caribbean card by Bank of America works out it's rewards at 1% compared to the existing NCL card by Bank of America which has been at 3% rewards. That's why all of us are upset. The Worldpoints program by Bank of America is also at 1%. To give some life to this percentage, NCL users have in the past received a $500 discount certificate for every $16,667 charged to the card. For the Royal Caribbean card, you'd have to spend $50,000 in charges to get the same $500 discount certificate. HUGE difference. No doubt that is why Bank of America is downgrading the rewards.

I saw in the news today that Holland America is teaming up with Barclay's to have a HAL credit card. Details at http://www.hollandamericavisa.com/ however you need 40,000 points to get a $500 discount. That's $40,000 in charges; better than $50,000 but only works out to a 1.25% return. This seems to be the best of the programs offered for NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Not sure about the Princess co-branded card but I think it's 1% too.

BobK/Orlando

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

....and another point: If you have purchased anything wtih the card, and then cancel the card, it is impossible to return that item for credit. The best most places can do is give you a store credit.

Even if a credit card account is closed, a merchant can still issue a credit to it. You then call up the credit card customer service and have a check mailed to you.

The problem with the card is that it was originally an MBNA credit card and thney were the ones that started the program. Bank of America took over MBNA and inherited the program. It wasn't long for Bank of america to cancel the program.

The same think happened with the ICruise.com card. They gave 3.3% of rewards. MBNA canceled the program.

yes...I had the I-cruise card prior to the NCL card. I was devastated when they changed over to BOA and cancelled the program...then found the NCL card and was happy again.

That was short lived. :rolleyes:

Edited by halos

My friend here in Cleveland, that is one MBNA survivor & is a Supervisor, tells me that Worldpoints is the card that B of A use to replace cancelled cards. Then he is telling me I can get their Signature Visa instead, so I click on it on their web site & see Signature Visa with WOLDPOINTS and told him, no thanks, I will take HH card instead for best rewards. I am very happy with that card & the points you get. But they are in companionship with Carnival, as I call it, and they want 125,000 points for a good reward. So I told NCL to talk with Citi on this card to get us all very happy here since B of A wants to *crew us. I told NCL they do not want to lose great customers.

I told NCL they do not want to lose great customers.

As we spend a lot of money on our bill, once we use the points to get on the ship.

They will lose in the long run but I think currently they are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I will look for another line to cruise at times If I don't have NCL awards. I go for the best deal.

Edited by judyf

Thanks for the post with the email address to send concern about the loss of the current compass reward program directly to NCL. I too, will be looking for a different program. I have frequently choosen ncl because of it great rewards program. I will return to finding the best deal and will look at different cruise lines. With this program I have reached the gold level. But, the company with this move does not seem value the loyality of its customers.

We always search for an itinerary & price tat w feel is best. We will wait til 2 months before the cruise to shop if we are not emailed or postal mailed specials from lines. Whomever has the best wins & so far it is NCL but we do not cruise below Dawn.

As we spend a lot of money on our bill, once we use the points to get on the ship.

They will lose in the long run but I think currently they are stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I will look for another line to cruise at times If I don't have NCL awards. I go for the best deal.