NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

5 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

MSC is right.   But there is a nuance.  If you book an I4 (family inside, the largest inside).  You can upgrade to a BA.  If you were to book a mid range inside you can jump to a BC or so.  Same goes for single meta with OV to Balcony.

Be sure to pay close attention to to the price difference between an inside and OV.  At time the difference may be very small.  If so you may wish to save your points and book the OV for a single meta upgrade.

also check for any differences between perks.   It doesn’t happen much anymore, but at times the perks inanOV would be a bit better than Inside.

It definitely pays to check all the possibilities.

I recently found a cruise that offered a solo discount for inside and ov - but not balcony.  Booked during a 2 CN/any cabin promo, with 3x points. Price difference between inside and ov wasn't much, but the jump to balcony was worth well over 2K.

• Like 1

Where can I find the benefits available  for the Norwegian world points card ?  I have seen what points are allotted for the dollars spent... but what is the meaning of eligible airlines and hotels. Which airline and which hotels ?  How do you  apply the points benefits at the time you are ready to use them ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been answered before but when I go in to redeem via cruise discounts, it'll say $150 ($75 per person), $200 ($100 per person), etc.  If I am travelling solo and have a $200 redemption, could I use that entire amount against my final payment of an upcoming cruise? 

1 hour ago, soup23 said:

Sorry if this has been answered before but when I go in to redeem via cruise discounts, it'll say $150 ($75 per person), $200 ($100 per person), etc.  If I am travelling solo and have a $200 redemption, could I use that entire amount against my final payment of an upcoming cruise? 

I think you are going to have to call WP for an answer to that.  I’ve not heard of anyone post about it here and solo rules are always a bit different than what you might expect, but would you please post the answer you get from WP?  Inquiring minds want to know 🤗

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered.  I looked and couldn't find the answers. 

1. Do I need one upgrade cert per cabin or per person? 

2. Am I assuming correctly that it works on any length cruise?

3. What happens if I cancel? Do I fet the cert back, points back, or nothing?  I'm talking about before and penalties kick in, not after.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, alwalaska said:

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked and answered.  I looked and couldn't find the answers. 

1. Do I need one upgrade cert per cabin or per person? 

2. Am I assuming correctly that it works on any length cruise?

3. What happens if I cancel? Do I fet the cert back, points back, or nothing?  I'm talking about before and penalties kick in, not after.

Thanks.

Good questions all

1. Upgrade (such as 30,000 single meta or 60,000 double meta) are for the. Cabin.  Whether single or maximum occupancy, it is the one amount of points

2.  Any length cruise, but if it is a B2B cruise that is two cruises.  If you have a 7 day or a 20 day, it’s the same price if it is one cruise.

3. this used to be easy, pre covid.  The previous answer would be, no problem, they just reverted to your account.  I’ve done it several times, no problem.   However, when I upgraded a few months ago, as the young man was reading me the legalese portion it said if you cancel your points may be forfeited.  I stopped and we had a discussion, as this was new.  He said yes, during covid they added that and it doesn’t mean you will automatically lose your points but it is up to management.  He said he did not know of a case where that had happened but as it is now in the legal verbage it could.  He said if we had to cancel to call and speak to a supervisor about it.   

we have not had a cancellation since this new policy started so I have no first hand experience, but I can tell you that in the past I did my upgrades right away so I could get a preferred cabin.  But now, if I’m the least bit iffy about whether this cruise is going to happen, I hold off a bit.  Hopefully we will get more reports as time goes by.  And possibly it has not been instituted but the suits decided to cover their hineys in the event of too many cancellations at once.   Only the Norwegian gods understand the logic behind these things.

bottom line, I wouldn’t sweat that part too much.  I think it’s just CYA.

• Thanks 1

Hello all, I've never posted here before but have read many pages of your posts and have learned a lot; thank you! Today I used your shared savvy and went online and redeemed 60,000 points to upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony for an Australia cruise. I checked out online and have a receipt for the upgrade. 

Question: Will it automatically show up on my reservation at ncl.com? If so, how long should I expect to wait? Or is there another call I need to make in order to finalize this?

Thanks for any info!

1 hour ago, Kath29 said:

Hello all, I've never posted here before but have read many pages of your posts and have learned a lot; thank you! Today I used your shared savvy and went online and redeemed 60,000 points to upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony for an Australia cruise. I checked out online and have a receipt for the upgrade. 

Question: Will it automatically show up on my reservation at ncl.com? If so, how long should I expect to wait? Or is there another call I need to make in order to finalize this?

Thanks for any info!

I read somewhere in this thread that it took several days and then they received an email confirmation from NCL with the upgrade info, but I haven't experienced that.  I'm a total newbie to this. I do have a question for you though ...

Were you able to pick a cabin, or does it assign it automatically?  Also, if I want to run some tests with different categories, is there a way to back out or cancel the upgrade and not finalize the upgrade?

Thanks!

• Like 1

alwalaska, I'm not an expert at all either.  This is the first time I've done this.

re your first question: I think they just randomly assign a cabin. I spoke to my PCC when I booked the inside cabin IA, told her my plans to upgrade with BofA points to a Balcony BA. She told me that after the upgrade was complete, if I wanted to change the rooms (within the same BA category), I could call her and she could do a cabin change.

re your second question: Not sure what you want to test, but you purchase the upgrade like any online purchase: put it in your 'cart' and then check out. There are lots of warnings that the transaction is not refundable. 

• Like 1

What would count for a single meta upgrade if Oceanview cabins don't exist?  Looking at the Epic, it goes from Inside to balcony, to suites.

Technically it would be a single meta, but according the BOA site, it would be a double.

Any clues on this or is this a specific BOA question?

55 minutes ago, Kath29 said:

alwalaska, I'm not an expert at all either.  This is the first time I've done this.

re your first question: I think they just randomly assign a cabin. I spoke to my PCC when I booked the inside cabin IA, told her my plans to upgrade with BofA points to a Balcony BA. She told me that after the upgrade was complete, if I wanted to change the rooms (within the same BA category), I could call her and she could do a cabin change.

re your second question: Not sure what you want to test, but you purchase the upgrade like any online purchase: put it in your 'cart' and then check out. There are lots of warnings that the transaction is not refundable. 

Thanks.  The reason I wanted to "test" was because there are no longer the top category of ocean view cabins available, so I'm wondering what level of balcony it will end up assigning me to on the upgrade.  Thanks for the info on the cabin change. 

It's been quite some time since I've used BoA points for anything NCL. I'm looking to redeem some of my points for a 7-Day Caribbean Cruise. If I redeem my points for a Balcony, is there any way of getting to a Club Balcony, even if I have to pay for the upgrade... or am I stuck at the BA level? I know I can't use points to upgrade to a CBS, but wondering if I can do a paid upgrade? 

I'm doing a back to back, and have a CBS for the first leg, and I would like the same cabin for the second week I'm using BoA points for... and it's still open!

TYIA

• Like 1

10 hours ago, romalley99 said:

It's been quite some time since I've used BoA points for anything NCL. I'm looking to redeem some of my points for a 7-Day Caribbean Cruise. If I redeem my points for a Balcony, is there any way of getting to a Club Balcony, even if I have to pay for the upgrade... or am I stuck at the BA level? I know I can't use points to upgrade to a CBS, but wondering if I can do a paid upgrade? 

I'm doing a back to back, and have a CBS for the first leg, and I would like the same cabin for the second week I'm using BoA points for... and it's still open!

TYIA

No actual experience with CBS but based on various conversations and other upgrade/fcc experience, no to the CBS upgrade, other than a bid. As far as I know they use your paid amount, not the cost of the cabin you are in, so you'd lose any benefit of your points. 

For me, I had a OV that was upgraded to OV with picture as an onboard perk. But when I used points to upgrade, I believe they used the original booking, not the upgraded cabin. 

15 hours ago, Kath29 said:

Thanks for any info!

Yes it will appear on NCL.com. online may take a business day or two. To speed it up, call.

I personally would rather call so I get an agent to send confirmation right away and to also choose my cabin.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alwalaska said:

I read somewhere in this thread that it took several days and then they received an email confirmation from NCL with the upgrade info, but I haven't experienced that.  I'm a total newbie to this. I do have a question for you though ...

Were you able to pick a cabin, or does it assign it automatically?  Also, if I want to run some tests with different categories, is there a way to back out or cancel the upgrade and not finalize the upgrade?

Thanks!

You cannot back out online.

Call is your safest bet.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mikiejag said:

What would count for a single meta upgrade if Oceanview cabins don't exist?  Looking at the Epic, it goes from Inside to balcony, to suites.

Technically it would be a single meta, but according the BOA site, it would be a double.

It's a double.  I did it a few years back.

Technically it's not a single per t&c. I see how you see it, I did as well.

Inside to OV is a single

OV to Balcony is a single.

Inside to Balcony is a double.

It is spelled out.

Just because they have no OV should not be our problem 😁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thanks.  The reason I wanted to "test" was because there are no longer the top category of ocean view cabins available, so I'm wondering what level of balcony it will end up assigning me to on the upgrade.  Thanks for the info on the cabin change. 

Next lower level.

That's why you should always book highest inside or OV so you have a greater inventory to choose from.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, romalley99 said:

TYIA

Not going to happen. Even afts are no longer allowed.

You can pay but why?  Everything is based of you rate prior to point upgrade.

I think they are treating us wrong.

If an inside is $1500 and a balcony is $5000 and we double with points we should be able to pay the difference starting at $5000. But no, it's at the $1500.

Hope to bid!

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

No actual experience with CBS but based on various conversations and other upgrade/fcc experience, no to the CBS upgrade, other than a bid. As far as I know they use your paid amount, not the cost of the cabin you are in, so you'd lose any benefit of your points. 

For me, I had a OV that was upgraded to OV with picture as an onboard perk. But when I used points to upgrade, I believe they used the original booking, not the upgraded cabin. 

You are 100% correct.

12 hours ago, Mikiejag said:

I believe the Epic is specifically addressed in the TNC on the  WP page.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

16 hours ago, Kath29 said:

Thanks for any info!

Yes,it will automatically show up.  Mine have usually taken anywhere from a few hours to two days.

you are able to pick your room.  They may try and force a cabin on you but I always have a list of acceptable cabins, in order of preference so I can quickly accept or reject.  But usually I just start by telling the agent what cabin I want and we go from there.  I have had agents insist they had to assign the cabins.  When that happens I just hang up and call back with  another agent.

I have read that online upgrades are now available, which is fairly new, and that people have been able to select their cabin.  I have not yet experienced that.  But I’m old school and prefer to speak to a human about my transactions.  Let us know how it goes with your online booking.

• Like 1