What to do in Dubrovnik

I got so much help with ideas for Rome, I'm hoping I can get the same with this area.

Do a tour or on our own. I did find travel 74, and they seemed to have alot to offer for a very reasonable 60 bucks per person.

Whose been? Did you take a tour or do it on your own? What did you see, and how did you get there?

I got so much help with ideas for Rome, I'm hoping I can get the same with this area.

Do a tour or on our own. I did find travel 74, and they seemed to have alot to offer for a very reasonable 60 bucks per person.

Whose been? Did you take a tour or do it on your own? What did you see, and how did you get there?

Do a search on this board using the name in the search forum,and you will find all kinds of info re your question on what to do and see in Dubrovnik...most will say that thisis a port you can really do on your own.

Also,do same re your other post for Corfu.

We took a shuttle that took us from the dock to the walled city. We paid the entrance fee to enter the Walled City and spent a couple of hours there. From the walled city you get wonderful views of the ocean and of the city and there is much to see there. I highly recommend it. Afterwards, we walked around the nearby area which included a variety of shops and cafes.

It is a lovely city and a place where we do not have the need to book an organized tour.

Keith

There are plenty of taxis at the port so you don't need an organized pre-planned guide; however, I would suggest you hop in a taxi and let the locals show you around. I think we paid $50 for a couple of hours. We were taken high up to Napoleon's Fort and given a guided tour of the area and shown breathtaking views of the city. Our guide was knowledgeable and pointed out a lot of interesting facts about their city. After the tour we were dropped off at the Wall and wondered around on our own. After seeing the wall from high above, we didn't feel the need to actually walk it.

We hoped in a cab as son as we got off the ship, beating what turned out to be a longish line. Went straight to the old city, dispite the cabby trying to upgrade our fare to include sites outside the city. I had to say no 5 times, but still gave him a smile and a tip when he let us out.

Go straight to the wall and do the walk as soon as you get there. It starts getting crowded and claustriphobic as the morning goes on, and there are not many shade options.

Walk the seaside wall first, as that is the pretty side, and consider skipping the other side. We baled out at the half way point.

Do some shopping and look for the bar/ restaurant on the sea side walls for a great view, or take in one of the street cafes.

We shopped some more, really didn't buy much as the prices were not much different than in Italy, had a gelato, and took a cab back to the ship for about $10.

As this port was the midpoint of some seriously planned days, it was nice to use this as a simple day. Back on the ship that night I heard many many complaints from those that took the ship tours about not having time to shop, or walk the walls, or longs waits for buses to fill. All in all about the least expensive port of call on our whole itinerary, and I didn't feel like we missed out on anything.

We had a cab take us up the hill for 45 euros (party of 4) before dropping us off at Old Town. We really liked the view of the town from above, and got to see a little of what the wars did to the countryside. Then we walked the wall, had lunch at a cafe, wandered around town a little, visited the Rupe Ethnographic Museum (in the town's former wheat storage building, featuring cool huge underground storage areas that ensured Dubrovnik could endure a seige), had an ice cream by the fountain, and took the ship's shuttle bus back. A very pleasant day, no tour necessary.

We took a shuttle that took us from the dock to the walled city. We paid the entrance fee to enter the Walled City and spent a couple of hours there. From the walled city you get wonderful views of the ocean and of the city and there is much to see there. I highly recommend it. Afterwards, we walked around the nearby area which included a variety of shops and cafes.It is a lovely city and a place where we do not have the need to book an organized tour.Keith

ditto Keith's suggestion! (wear a hat and bring water and a camera as it's very picturesque.) Plus, if you're off the wall by noon, but in town - consider this spectacle:

We arrived in Gundulic Square about 7 minutes before noon, only to find a produce market in full swing. It wasn’t what we expected to find as we were told the town’s pigeons circled the statue of poet Ivan Gundulic three times when the bells from the clock tower strike noon. We waited. About 2 minutes before noon, the scene started to unfold in front of our eyes. First a few pigeons came, then more, then it looked like a scene out of the Hitchcock’s “The Birds” movie. They were everywhere – flying counterclockwise around the 17th century writer’s statue. By the time the last bell struck twelve, the pigeons were all on the grounds stacked three deep in places.

...having figured out the secret we then moved on to find some food of our own. We walked past art galleries and shops with wood carvings, ceramics, jewelry, and leather products. We saw some independent workers selling embroidery by the sea and purchased a lace doily for a gift, then stopped at a shop for gelato.

take a taxi to the walled town and walk around on your own.....it is beautiful......one our favorite ports....:) .....and you can walk the wall.

2504221320096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi,

I am just back from the Brilliance of the Seas. I arranged private tours for a group of 12 for most of the ports on our cruise. We had 6 teens/college students in our group who we knew would be tired of old towns, buildings, etc. by the time we reached Dubrovnik. I had asked on these boards if anyone had ever chartered a boat to go to the Elafiti islands for the day. There were no suggestions, so I started emailing all the tour operators in that area that I could find through guide books, etc. What came from all that research, was the best excursion of our entire cruise!

Elite Travel in Dubrovnik (http://www.elite.hr/) picked us up at the pier in a 80 passenger boat with bathrooms and full shade. They are the tour operator who handled all of Royal Caribbean's tours that day so we were not worried at all. We had a tour guide, captain and cook on board. They took us to 3 islands that day. At the first one we had a half hour to walk around the quaint village, at the second we had an hour of free time. When we got back onboard the ship we were treated to an amazing lunch of wine, grilled fish, chicken (for the picky kids) and salads. We then went to another island that had great sandy beaches. We had 3-4 hours of free time there at the beach. It was the most relaxing and refreshing day of our entire cruise and I highly recommend it!

Here's the description from their webpage - I had asked the shore excursion dept. for a private version of their large ship tour:

"Island Cruise

Just like the streets of Dubrovnik were not built to be seen by carriage but by foot it is certain that the best views of the Dubrovnik region are from the sea.

The historical Galleon is certainly the best stage for such a scenery.

Durin this cruise you will see the three most beautiful islands of the Dubrovnik archipelago – Kolocep. Lopud and Šipan commonly known as the Elafiti islands. The old legend of the islands is hidden in it's name-about the old Greeks hunting for deer and subsequently naming the islands the Deer islands.

Green islands, with gardens full of oranges and lemons and lovely seashore landscapes, charming and picturesque villages with harmonious architecture of summer manors; old seaman´s houses and little votive churches.

Visit all the three Elaphite islands and enjoy your lunch of grilled fish and wine."

What time can you get off the ship when you land in Dubrovick?

Is it hard to get a taxi or ship shuttle back to the ship from the old town?

What is the latest time you should leave the city to get back to the ship?

I saw a good review of kayaking in Croatia, but I can't find the thread anymore. Has anyone walked the wall inthe old town, then done kayaking? Thanks in advance:)

cab in Dubrovnik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We took a cab on the June 18th cruise on the Millinnium. It was 10 Euros each way for the cab and we had 4 people in it so it was very inexpensive and it is very easy to get from the dock area to the Oldtown area. We did a sea kayak trip on our own at Dubrovnik and it was great at 35 Euros each. We emailed them at: lauraadv@laura-adventure.com. I originally found the business by contacting: lauraadv@sim.webpromohosting.com. The water was great, we went in caves and went to an island---great excurison.

Thank you so much for posting! I think I read your original review somewhere, but couldn't find it again. Do you think it is easy enough that 12 year old boys could do the kayaking? How much time did you spend in the Old Town before you went kayaking? I'm trying to set up a time frame.

I'm also doing research for this port of call. I've found a TON of info on this board but using the search option, reading reviews on Cruise Critic (check out mike and carol's website. They recently visited this port of call http://www.thepreismans.com/). Fellow cruise critic member fmax compiled this info:

Port - Dubrovnik

Things to do

Gates of Pile

Walk the city Wall surrounding the old town.

Tourist info and ATM near where bus drops off

Museum of the Franciscan Monastery

The Onofrio Fountain

Cavtat and Dubrovnik tour… can be done on own - can take boat

Wall tour - 30 kuna each (around 5 euro per person) for admission

the Museum of Modern www.ugdubrovnikhr; admission 15 kuna)

Restaurants

Lokanda Peskarija (Na Ponti bb; 385-20-324-750)

Kamenice - for fresh oysters and great outdoor seating

Pizzeria Castro (Gunduliceva Poljana 5)

Moby Dick

Private Drivers /Companies

Tomislav - info@tom-tours.com (www.dubrovnik-tours.info/peljesic.htm)

What to buy/Shopping

crystal glasses

garnet pendant with beautiful gold filigree.

cutwork tablecloth for next to nothing

Moje Tezoro - Vintage gold jewelry

Ronchi Hat Factory

Vina Milicic (Wine)

Useful Websites/Message threads

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...highlight=info

http://web.tzdubrovnik.hr/beaches.shtml

http://www.croatia.hr/English/Default.aspx

http://travel2.nytimes.com/gst/trave...&submit=Search

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Croatia/Dalmatia_Dubrovnik_Region/Dubrovnik-387793/TravelGuide-Dubrovnik.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchFor...vnik&returnTo=

Photos/Photo Review

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/235645/index.html

http://community.webshots.com/user/andym888

We were there in 2001. We thought it was one of the prettiest seaports, sparking clean town, nice people, and inexpensive. We toured on our own and still have very fond memories of this stop.

Shared a cab to the walled city cost $10 a couple each way.

I've sent 2 e-mails to Elite and I haven't heard back. Did you have an easy time communicating with them???

Yes I did, but not past 5 p.m. (their time) or over the weekends. Here is the email address for the man who handled our excursion and all of Royal Caribbean's excursions the day we were in port:

srdjan.kristic@elite.hr

They really did a nice job - keep trying!

Sue

Hi,

we are just back from RC cruise and Dubrovnick was one of the favorites.

You don't need to book any tours. Shuttle buses meet you at the ship and drive you in and out of town. 3euros. They leave you off right at the old town gate. You walk in and the entrance to the city and the wall are right there. We walked the wall but it was really hot so we didn't last long.

When you get down from the wall there is a port. We found a boat rental place (don't have the name) and got a really great guide and boat. It was 90 euros but it was the best time. He took us 10 minutes down the coast to a great beach with a little cafe. The water was the most beautiful I have ever seen. Clean and warm. If you just want to relax there are several cafes and I think some beaches in town you can do. But I would spring for the boat. There is a pirate style ship that the cruise line sells but it just goes around the harbor.

There are many shops in the old town, try the fruit, figs if you like them

and the gelatto.

They take euros not dollars.

Thank you so much for posting! I think I read your original review somewhere, but couldn't find it again. Do you think it is easy enough that 12 year old boys could do the kayaking? How much time did you spend in the Old Town before you went kayaking? I'm trying to set up a time frame.

Hi again,

I had my 20 year old daughter with us and she had never kayaked before and neither had my 49 year old wife. You won't have any problems. It is so beautiful and the cost is so reasonable. I hope you get to use them because we enjoyed the experience so much!!

We spent another couple of hours in the old town portion of the port and could have stayed many hours longer. Just understand that you will be wet when you get out of the kayaks but we visited a cafe as soon as we were ashore and had a couple of beers and some food and had no problem with the wet clothing. It is a great excursion.

Archived