Packing for South America cruise

sgh20037

We all probably already know to pack light "stuff" for the beginning and end of the S.A. cruises - and warmer "stuff" for when we are at the southern end of the continent. What about any other tips you might have picked up from either reading or experience? One tip for those times off the ship that I just found on another website reads:

Don't forget to pack toilet paper and those little 'handiwipe' things that come in small individual packets. Outside of Santiago, it is normal that the bathrooms in bars and restaurants often lack toiletpaper, soap and handtowels. Strangely, they often lack even a toilet seat. On the positive side, most all of these bathrooms are clean.

I would not have thought about this myself. How about you?

We cruised from Rio to Valpariso via Antarctica at the beginning of last year so it is still quite fresh in my mind. We also went to the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. I did use a lot of toilets and everyone had toilet paper and soap to wash one's hands.

I would bring something like Purell to have as a further protection against germs and perhaps some wipes but that is all I would bring. It is not like you are visiting Asia or a 3rd World country. Chile and Argentina are both very civilized countries.

Jennie

We always bring hand sanitizer (both types liquid and wipes) on any cruise we go on.

Back to South America, the key is to layer clothing as the temperature can change quite a bit. Also, bring sun glasses and sun tan lotion. Bring bottled water with you in port. Bring waterproof pants. Bring an umbrella. Have lighter clothing for Buenos Aires and Valparaiso.

While most of the ports are perfectly safe you need to be careful in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso/Santiago. Bring some type of waller (men) that goes under your shirt.

Bring good walking shoes.

Keith

From posts that I've read.... some of the penguin trips you should wear disposable boot/shoe covers. That way you don't have to worry about cleaning your footwear afterward.

Not sure where to buy as when I did my search I only saw them sold in case lots.... however did find one place for a "sample" (qty of 10) but the sizing is limited... only xl on the boot ones. see ABC Safety Mart

From posts that I've read.... some of the penguin trips you should wear disposable boot/shoe covers. That way you don't have to worry about cleaning your footwear afterward.

Not sure where to buy as when I did my search I only saw them sold in case lots.... however did find one place for a "sample" (qty of 10) but the sizing is limited... only xl on the boot ones. see ABC Safety Mart

Interesting suggestion. We really didn't need them when we saw the penguins in Punta Arenas but they would have come in handy in the Falkland Islands. Had you looked at somehwere like a Home Depot?

Keith

With regard to disposable shoes, I did look everywhere for them before I left but couldn't find them. I believe they are sold as plastic gardening type slip ons clogs. Anyhow, we didn't need them at all which was great. We saw the penquins at Otway Bay in Punta Arenas and you walk only on timber boardwalks so there is no chance of you getting anything on your feet.

We went to Antartica as well and I did take waterproof pants to wear, but didn't use them. It is not cold enough on the mainland to need them anyway and even though it was a bit wet in Punta Arenas, they weren't needed. The wind factor is the coldest there and what you need is a warm jacket, gloves, hat and scarf.

Jennie

I still like the idea of the covers. Around here the workmen wear the disposable shoe covers. Where we could have really used them was in the Falkland Islands. Everyone who did the Penguin tour came back with dirty shoes. It wasn't from the penguins but all of the dirt that we walked on to see the penguins plus it was raining at times.

In terms of waterproof pants, I do highly recommend them. I have the kind that keeps me warm and also are waterproof so if it doesn' rain they still are great.

I was thinking back to the Falkland Islands and thought about one other item. There is that stick that when you break it, it give off warmth and you can stick it in your gloves to keep your hands warm. Well we didn't have any but a woman gave us one. It was great as it was so cold and windy there.

Keith

A hint about toilet paper---when there is about an inch left othe roll--measure from the core out-- take and put it in a ziplock bag. Then flatten it. Takes up very little room in a suitcase or purse or backpack. Can be a lifesavior. Pat

Hi Aussie Gal,

What did you wear to Iguassu Falls? We are going in Dec. I know the weather will be warm. Do we need rain gear and water shoes? Any recommendations apprecciated.

Annette

aneka,

We were there at the beginning of January so the weather will be very similar. I wore loose fitting linen pants which have an elastic waist and are very unstructured. On the top I wore sleeveless shirts. It is extremely hot and humid and you need to try to keep as cool as possible.

We had on sunhats, carried water and had on 30+ sunscreen plus I think I rubbed Deet or something similar over my arms to ward off any mosquitoes. We didn't see any as they usually come out at sunset. I certainly did not look very glamourous!!

They are the most amazing spectacle. We were so lucky as it had rained there a few days before and the amount of water coming over was fantastic. We didn't see any rain only lots of sunshine.

Jennie

Annette,

We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel which is in Argentina and had a Falls View Room. The walking trails on the Argentinian side take about 3 hours to do. There are 3 and each is different. In the afternoon we were taken to the Brazilian side and did the trail there, there is only one and of course not as long. We flew from Rio as our ship was leaving from Rio, so we had Brazilian visas and therefore we were able to go back and forth across the border.

Jennie

I flew from Buenos Aires to the falls and stayed at the Sheraton Iguassu on the Argentinian side. The highlight of my fantastic trip was the boat ride up the river and into a few falls. There are approximately 275 cataracts to the falls but this is dependant on how much rain there had been. We were quite fortunate. The falls is 1.7 miles wide which is 3 times as wide as Niagara Falls.

Niagara is great but Iguassu Is breathtaking.

This boat ride with the wild drivers was definitely the most thrilling part for me.

Because of the insects which are always attracted to me, I wore long sleeved shirts and long pants made of a very lightweight fabric which they called gauze. It covers without being warm and looks great.

Fran

The waterproof jacket (North Face) and Fleece that my wife and I took with us was used in some of the ports and on the open seas. If it was not so cold we could either wear just the jacket or just the fleece or if it rained we would wear the jacket and then use the fleece depending on the temperature conditions. And, the waterproof pants we used in some ports while other times it we didn't use them. No one can precisely predict what weather you will have in port. So, I think the key is taking these items to have flexibility. If it is raining the waterproof jacket and waterproof pants will help a great deal. We also take rain jackets with us for places where it is not too cool but they are the long kind of rain jackets so we can wear those with regular pants.

Several years ago we did a transatantic cruise, stopped in Iceland on a very windy and rainy day. We were not prepared for it and we said never again. So, now we come prepared and it has worked out very well. But, just like otther places one day the port can be sunny and the next day rainy so who can predict what it will be like the day you arrive.

Keith

We went in January last year and we used our waterproof jackets when we were down in Antarctica and the day we were in Punta Arenas. We went to see the penquins at Otway Bay and it was extremely windy and trying hard to rain.

Our two days in Ushuaia were quite pleasant and we didn't need the jackets and when in Puerto Montt, it was sunny and warm.

We missed the Falklands unfortunately due to bad weather. That would have been another port where we would have used our jackets. We also missed Puerto Madryn which was a warm day, therefore they wouldn't have been needed.

We had nearly docked at Puerto Madryn when the Captain heard that the winds were going to be strong that afternoon and as there weren't any tugs to take us out, he decided to abort that Port much to our dismay. We missed 3 ports on that cruise. The other one was Chacabulco. Due to headwinds we couldn't make it in time so we spent that day cruising more of the Chilean Fjords which was a bonus.

The weather does play a huge factor in what you see and do down there and it does pay go prepared for any sort of weather.

Jennie

Archived