What to do in Sitka

fun2travel

I think I have my cruise ship choice narrowed down to two.

Southbound Celebrity which stops at Icy Strait Point, or a SB Holland which goes to Sitka. We are 3 women, 2 of us 50, and our mom if this matters.

I do not see much on here about Sitka. Any ideas on which to pick?

Personally, I would pick Sitka. It has a lot of Russian history and wonderful whale, otter, eagle, puffin tours. Not to mention the Raptor Center, and National Historic Park. Sitka has a lot more to offer in my opinion.

Plus, my preference would be HAL over Celebrity. But again, just my own personal preference.

They both are wonderful Alaska cities. :) My top pick in Sitka are the boat tours, fantastic for varied wildlife. But also a wonderful walking city. www.sitka.org

BQ,

I am trying to decide on one of three possible tours in Sitka. Have you been on any of these:

Sightseeing w/A Whale of a Tale, or kayaking the sights w/SSOceanAdventures or wildlife tour w/ Captain Davey?

I have a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv in Juneau but don't want to miss any sites around Sitka either! (My husband wants to take nice siteseeing pictures too.)

Thanks for your help!

MTD1 - we went out with Capt. Davey last year. It was one of the best excursions we have taken. We also did a whale watch in Juneau last year, but we enjoyed the trip with Capt. Davey on the Ester G WAY BETTER!!!! When we boarded, he asked us what we wanted to see. There were 3 couples, none of whom knew each other and we all had different things we wanted to see. Capt. Davey showed everyone what they had requested and spent adequate time viewing everything. Eagles, Whales, Puffins, Sea Lions, Otters!!!! Can't say enough good things.

We haven't been on tours with the other operators, so can't compare. Just know we LOVED Capt. Davey!! So much so, that we already have him lined up for next year!

If you have the time to go back and read reviews about Captain Davey he gets high reviews and recommendations from several on here. I called Captain Davey and talked to him and he was so nice and helpful and will customize your tour to about anythng you want to do. We booked with him for sept. 2008 and I am sure I will not be disappointed:o .

Thank you all so much for the great input!

Any more opinions regarding Celebrity versus Holland.

We are three women, one in mid 70's and two are 50.

Wonder where we might fit in best.

I have been on Celebrity twice (Mexican Riviera and a Med cruise)

and Holland once (Caribbean cruise). I was not impressed with Holland,

but that was a different type of cruise I think. Any thoughts?

Bless you all for your responses!

MY DH and I will be on HAL Amsterdam which I selected because it went to Sitka. He is booked for an intriguing photo tour, while I will do the Russian city tour then on to the Raptor Center followed by the New Archangel Dancers. It's getting close and I am getting so excited. Are you planning to go this year? Not sure if I saw that. Why not think about Aug. 10th and come along?

Blessings,

Gail

Not sure if you are interested only in organized tours or if you would be interested in independent touring. We didn't do any organized tour in Sitka at all, not sure if they even had such things when we were there.

Once you disembark the ship and are tendered to the pier, the first big building you see is a Home for Pioneers without any money (and still in operation) quite amazing. I believe the Baranhof Hill site is across the street. It's quite a climb, it's where the Russian Castle was located and the first U.S. flag was raised after the purchase of Alaska. Sitka also has a small hop on/hop off bus (in '99 it was only $7, I'm told it's now $10) but it makes like 7 or 8 stops around town at what they feel are the important sights. It picks up right close to the pier where you will be tendered to.

We took the shuttle up the hill to the Raptor Center (entrance fee I think was around $4.50), then the driver showed us a trail to walk through the rainforest DOWNHILL to the Museum. We really enjoyed the Raptor Center and all the beautiful birds. I'm not sure, but I think they said the workers were mostly all volunteers. We saw totems and a Russian Memorial on our walk and the woods were so peaceful and serene. Arrived at the Museum and saw canoe and totem carving exhibition. There was something going on in the Museum, but we didn't pay the entrance fee.

Caught the shuttle at this stop and went back into town. The Russian Orthodox Cathedral is very pretty, and lots of history. Lots of shops but easily walkable.

I chose Holland America because they went to Sitka. It was my favorite port. Maybe because it's on an island and not as easily accessible as the other towns, but it has retained much of it's small town charm. With the harbor not being deep enough for cruise ships/thereby making tendering mandatory keeps down the number of visitors too, I think. Made me feel like I was seeing a piece of history. For my trip next month, I again chose HAL but will be going to Skagway this time, and again, because of the Gold Rush History wanted to do the Yukon as well as interior Alaska, so I chose Yukon Wilderness Cruisetour #1. Got our docs yesterday, so I'm really getting excited now.

You'll absolutely love Alaska. It is truly beyond words to describe the beauty of the land and the people. You just have to see it and live it to believe it!

Archived