Food: What's best and worst of Princess food?

Ugly Betty Fan

Best: souffles, king crab legs, lobster, hazelnut meringues and other items

Worst: (sorry to those who love them) but the Eggs Benedict. I've been on the Island twice and their Eggs Benedict is not good. I have Eggs Benedict nearly every place we go to for breakfast (which is rare) and for some reason this ship can't get it done. I was hoping that being on the Island the second time it would have changed but nope. I might give it a try on the CB and see if Princess can redeem themselves. ;)

DH is able to loose weight on Princess - I usually stay the same. I mean this in a good way, because there are many good healthy choices and I don't really find the "bad" food that tempting - desserts just aren't that good on Princess and I don't eat the baked good on Princess, because I believe they are still using trans fats. Nice fresh fruits are available, but sometimes you have to ask.

We found the beef tough, especially the always available steak. Also it usually came out well-done no matter how we ordered it. I've tried the Australian steak from Trader Joes and it does have a weird gamey flavor; however, when prepared well-done, the gamey flavor is less - maybe this is why Princess serves it this way. I like beef Wellington, but not on Princess; the dough is mushy and the duxelle paste tastes wrong - someone said it was made of chicken liver. I thought it was supposed to contain mushrooms and shallots and duck liver, but it didn't taste like this.

I've found it best to stick with fish and shellfish, which has always been very good, not dry (unless at the buffet). The veal amd lamb chops were also good. Osso Buco was good. The cold fruit soups are far too sweet for me, as are most of the desserts. I usually get fresh fruit for dessert; however, the baked peach with amaretto stuffing is very good and so is the tiramisu (it taste like real mascarpone was used). The sorbets are okay, the ice cream is good. The lemon tart is not worth the calories (for me). All of the salads are good. Smoked salmon is good. Sometimes the melons are not as ripe as they should be, but still a nice healthy choice. The broths are good. Fresh papaya was good. Unlike many others, I don't find the souffles worth the calories, yet if any of you like them and have tried to make them at home, you'll realize the value of ordering them on the ship -definately a high-labor food choice. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I found the polenta side dish to be, by far, the best polenta I've ever eaten.

I like beef Wellington, but not on Princess; the dough is mushy and the duxelle paste tastes wrong - someone said it was made of chicken liver. I thought it was supposed to contain mushrooms and shallots and duck liver, but it didn't taste like this.

How can mushrooms, shallots and wine, which is what a classic duxelle paste is made of....taste like Chicken Livers? That would be horrible!!!!

If this is the case with the Beef Wellington on Princess...I KNOW I will not like it! That is how it tasted to me on my Carnival cruise on the Ecstasy! I couldn't even eat more than 2 bites of it...the flavor was soooooo strong I KNEW it had to be Chicken Livers they made the duxelle paste with! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:eek:

So does anyone else who had the Beef Wellington think it tasted like they used Chicken Livers?

Archived