Food: What's best and worst of Princess food?

Ugly Betty Fan

I personally love their beef wellington, and their french onion soup and cheesecake are to die for. If there are any sushi lovers out there, they had a free sushi bar on the last sea day from 11:30 till around 2 in the Cafe Caribe on the Crown Princess and I was quite surprised how good a job they did on the sushi. Ditto for the rack of lamb. Overall, I thought their food was very good and I consider myself a great cook.

Princess usually does rack of lamb well.

I don't care for their Beef Wellington -although I am a beef lover.

3. The "International Cheese Plate"

I know some of you might think this question is weird, but here goes.....would it be OK to order the International Cheese Plate and then take it back to your cabin? Is this allowed?

Now before anyone starts 'preaching' about "why would I want to take food out of the main dining room back to my cabin when I can eat all I want at the buffet and order room service"....I have seen the selections of cheese offered in the main dining room on menus online. They are very select cheeses that I am sure would not be offered in the buffet and not offered in room service.

I know after a huge meal, my DH and I will not be able to eat all the cheese in the dinning room, but we would like to have these 'select' cheeses for later or possibly the next day (kept cool in the refrig.) when we have our wine/cocktail hour in our cabin, since we have late dinner seating. On our RCCL cruise, a nice cheese plate (or rather a platter IMHO) of very nice cheese was on the room service menu. It was nice to have with our cocktails in the room around 6 PM since our dinner was well after 8 PM.

Just wonder if we would be allowed to take the cheese from the dining room out of the dining room to our cabin.

Thanks!

I personally love their beef wellington, and their french onion soup and cheesecake are to die for. If there are any sushi lovers out there, they had a free sushi bar on the last sea day from 11:30 till around 2 in the Cafe Caribe on the Crown Princess and I was quite surprised how good a job they did on the sushi. Ditto for the rack of lamb. Overall, I thought their food was very good and I consider myself a great cook.

Question concerning the Beef Wellington.. to you and others who enjoyed it........how was it cooked: how well cooked was it?

I had it on the Carnival cruise I took and the waiter said that it was all cooked med. to well done. I could not have it med.RARE. When I got it...it was well done and tough. It tasted like they used chicken liver instead of duck liver and it was horrible.

I really want to try it again on this cruise on the Golden, but sort of worried it will not be good.

Ohhhhhhh and how was the Escargot?

This is a situation that calls for ordering 2 entrees without waiting to find out whether you will like Beef Wellington. The waiter will be happy to bring you both entrees plates at the same time. Beef Wellington is often offered the same night as the lobster tail. And quite often the waiter seeing that I was having a difficult time making up my mind brought both even when I ordered one of the two. /Sultan

I really want to try it again on this cruise on the Golden, but sort of worried it will not be good.

I know some of you might think this question is weird, but here goes.....would it be OK to order the International Cheese Plate and then take it back to your cabin? Is this allowed?

Now before anyone starts 'preaching' about "why would I want to take food out of the main dining room back to my cabin when I can eat all I want at the buffet and order room service"....I have seen the selections of cheese offered in the main dining room on menus online. They are very select cheeses that I am sure would not be offered in the buffet and not offered in room service.

I know after a huge meal, my DH and I will not be able to eat all the cheese in the dinning room, but we would like to have these 'select' cheeses for later or possibly the next day (kept cool in the refrig.) when we have our wine/cocktail hour in our cabin, since we have late dinner seating. On our RCCL cruise, a nice cheese plate (or rather a platter IMHO) of very nice cheese was on the room service menu. It was nice to have with our cocktails in the room around 6 PM since our dinner was well after 8 PM.

Just wonder if we would be allowed to take the cheese from the dining room out of the dining room to our cabin.

Thanks!

This is perfectly OK! We do it all the time to have with our afternoon cocktails. As a matter of fact, if you have a request for a certain cheese or cheeses, they will put it together for you and cover it with foil so you can take it to your room!

:p

I know ahead of time I will enjoy, lobster, crab, and perhaps Prime Rib. I believe these might be offered on Formal nights. If one chose to eat not in the dining rooms but in the buffet would they be served there as well? How about Love Boat dessert, in the buffet also?

This is perfectly OK! We do it all the time to have with our afternoon cocktails. As a matter of fact, if you have a request for a certain cheese or cheeses, they will put it together for you and cover it with foil so you can take it to your room! :p
Is there a menu of the cheeses available online or one that someone has from a cruise? We're going to be on Dawn Princess in November.

The fettucini alfredo was delicious, the breads & rolls, morning pastries - excellent.

I didn't really care for any of the desserts I tried (except cookies on the buffet) I found them tasteless for the most part.

Did you not try the desserts in the International Cafe? I thought they were real good. Went there every afternoon for a taste, or two. icon10.gif And the gelato - YUMMY! I agree about the fettucini alfredo.

The buffet had a Wonderful selection of fresh fruit and nuts. Variety surprised me!

I thought the crab legs and shrimp they had the first night in the Horizon Court was way too salty, as was the spring rolls in the Cafe Caribe. That and the coffee were my only food complaints.

macsmum1 & monakayk, thanks for the heads up on the cheese, never thought to ask, we just took some cheese and crackers from the buffet.

Thanks to posts like this, on our August cruise, I will try the Honeydew Sorbet, Loveboat Dream, Cornflake crusted french toast, pina colada chilled soup, and all those things I never would have tried before.

What are the best and worst foods on Princess? For example, skip the scrambled eggs because they're powder or don't miss the prime rib. Things like that.

Skip the coffee at most places and the welcome back cookies in your stateroom are a joke.

what is the love boat dream?

I love the eggplant parmesan.

The Love Boat dream is a heart shaped 3 chocolate dessert. It is truly delicious.

My last experience with the love boat dream was not so good though. I was merrily eating it when the passenger sitting next to me asked what is was. I told her and she said that sounds great, licked her dessert spoon to remove her dessert and then promptly helped herself to some of my love boat. Needless to say that put an end to my dining for the night!

Worst :

Most dishes in Pacific Moon & Santa Fe--what does that mean???????

I never had anything that's not disappointing/subpar in my opinion in those restaurants in the Sapphire Princess (except the guacamole in Santa Fe) . . .

All the fresh sorbets for dessert are really Yummy! Especially, if like me, you've stuffed yourself on dinner and still want just a light dessert.

The desserts in the International Cafe are nice to have in the afternoon and there usually are not a lot of people there. You can sit in relative quiet or take it back to your balcony.

Can't wait to try the gelato!!

Ann

Worst : Most dishes in Pacific Moon & Santa Fe--

You were asking what that statement meant.

Honestly, that statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The "old" Santa Fe was a Mexican restaurant that they had on a few of the Grand Class ships, but took out a while ago. That I could have taken or left, so I guess enough pax agreed with me, and Princess took it out.

But on the Sapphire, the "new" Santa Fe, one of the four anytime dining rooms, was our favorite. We really like their fajitas, which is their specialty item. Pacific Moon, lovely dining room. Their specialty is a noodle based stir fry with shrimp and scallops. It was nice, but not a favorite, some people absolutely love it, and that is great.

The rest of the food in those dining rooms is the same as all the formal dining room menus.

Just hoping to shed a wee bit of light - don't know if I did or not.:o

Question concerning the Beef Wellington.. to you and others who enjoyed it........how was it cooked: how well cooked was it?

On the night that Beef Wellington is served (Captain's Farewell Dinner), I create my own surf & turf with a lobster tail and BW. I have asked for rare and it has been cooked to my liking. That said, I don't care for the duxelles/pastry wrap that is a little soggy, so I remove it. On the Dawn in January, our astute waitress (in "anytime") knew that I preferred the meat without the pastry so she removed it prior to serving. The red wine reduction that accompanies the dish is awesome as are most Princess sauces.

Generally, I like red meat medium rare but have found that I must order rare but hot to get it right on Princess. The prime rib has been very good, and the lamb is to die for :) .

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Archived