Vancouver to Seattle post cruise

DebDenC

We will be flying into Seattle, taking Amtrak to Vancouver for a cruise. On the return, we are planning to rent a car in Vancouver and drive to Seattle in time to catch a red-eye flight to the East Coast. Is there a more scenic route than I-5? Is there anywhere we should be sure to stop enroute? Is it better to cross the border somewhere other than I-5?

Thanks

Debbie

The best place to cross over is the truck stop just south of Surrey. there is a nice drive south and to get on to old hwy 99 if possible. Not much of scenic drive though from up north. Be sure you will have no problems dropping your CA rental to a US location.

We did this trip (in reverse) 2 years ago. You might like to look over this thread from then -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157426

We did this drive and it was lovely. Also ate lunch at The Oyster Bar mentioned and it was a wonderful preamble to our cruise.

I agree 100% with the Chuckanut Drive suggestion. Drive I-5 south to Chuckanut/Fairhaven exit. (I think it's the fourth exit after the Bellisfair exit but it might be the 5th. It's well marked) Stop and nose around in Fairhaven, especially the wonderful bookstore. Have a coffee. Drive to state park. Stop and walk around. Drive south on Chuckanut and stop at a couple of lookouts. Stop at one of the oyster bars. Go slow! It's hard to park. There are two great choices. One has a beautiful ocean view and one an equally stunning view of a creek and ravine. When you get down to the "flats" you can continue for a while or get on I-5 again.

Another great sidetrip is Anacortes/Whidbey Island. Not sure if you'll have enough time for that, though.

Viv

As mentioned before, the truck crossing is usually faster than the Peach Arch crossing. That is where all the buses cross as well. (they have separate lines for buses.)

We rented a car and did the Chuckanut Drive last May. It is a nice drive. After Chuckanut you can visit LaConnor. It is a not far out of the way and not as much of a deviation as Whidby Island.

As mentioned, Chuckanut drive is very scenic but if you would like to see something spectacular take a side trip up to Mt. Baker. It is one of our volcanos that is covered with glaciers. Do make sure that you are slated to get off the ship in one of the first groups since the drive to Seattle is about 2 1/2 and you will need as much time as possbile for side trips.

Thanks for all the suggestions! What about the Boeing tour? Worth making a stop for. Right now we are booked on a midnight (!) flight out of Seattle, so our plan is to just drive and sightsee, stop for lunch, then have dinner and go to the airport. Anyplace nice to eat near the airport, or is downtown Seattle our best bet?

Put on radio AM 730 when you get in your car. This radio station is all traffic and broadcasts from Vancouver. There is construction at both borders right now but the Pacific Highway crossing from the US into Canada has major delays with road work. It really pays to listen to the radio. If you have a blackberry or internet access here's two good websites:

http://www.borderlineups.com/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

The waits have been as long as four hours on long weekends getting back to the US. Check out Aldergrove and Abbotsford, sometimes the drive is worth the frustration of waiting in these long lines. All roads lead to Bellingham, then you can get onto the beautiful Chuckanut Drive.

Fisherwoman

:)

Debbie,

If you’re not planning to do any sightseeing in Canada, you might consider taking the Quick Shuttle from Canada Place to the Bellingham Airport and renting a car there. It costs less, you don’t have the international rental issue to deal with and, most importantly, it is much faster crossing the border.

I have taken the Quick Shuttle twice from Canada Place. The bus has a separate lane at the border and bypasses all of the cars waiting in line which, in both cases, was at about a mile long. The first time, we pulled right up to the inspection station, but had to unload all of our luggage and take it into the station for inspection, then load it back on the bus. This past May, the customs agent just came aboard and checked our passports and we were on our way in less than ten minutes. There’s no way of knowing which procedure you will encounter, but either way, it was much quicker than going through the car line.

I booked both the Quick Shuttle and car rental (Avis) on line. The car pick up at Bellingham and the return at SeaTac were a snap.

Jim

Archived