Tax free zones in the north of Europe ?

Cote d'or

A question for those who sailed the Century on the 12 night Scandinavia and Russia cruise : are there any ports of call with a tax free shop on this intinerary (like there are in Barcelona, Athens and Kusadasi in the Med) ?

I'm not sure we're on the same page, but here's what I know about tax free shopping -- there are some stores in all of the larger ports (don't know about Klaipeda) which prominently display signs saying "Tax Free for Tourists". In each of these, there is some minimum amound which much be spent in that store. If you meet the minimum, they will fill out the tax refund forms, which include your passport number so if you don't carry your passport, be sure to carry a photocopy. They will "seal" your purchase. This was generally done by putting it in a plastic carry bag which was taped shut and had a special sticker on it. You cannot open it until you leave the EU. When you leave the EU (in our case that was when we flew out of Amsterdam) before you check in for your flight, you take the sealed packages and the forms to a customs office and they stamp the forms. You can then put the packages into your checked luggage, or into your carry on. You check in for the flight, go through passport control, and go to an office or a bank which handles the tax refund before you board your flight. You will receive either cash back (not in dollars, in the local currency) or they put an amount of credit onto your credit card. They deduct a fee so you never get all the tax back. Not all stores participate in this program, mostly just ones that cater to tourists. In a large department store, you can put together purchases from several different departments that are all purchased on the same day to meet the minimum. Expect the minimums to be in the $200 dollar range, although they will vary from country to country, and even from store to store.

Now, on the Baltic trip, there was a little twist to this procedure. Because you are leaving the EU when you go to St. Petersburg, you can accomplish the same procedure of getting the customs stamp and the tax refund issued at the port in Helsinki, so those items which qualified from the first ports can be handled there, and those items which are purchased after St. Petersburg would be handled on your departure from the EU. However, if you miss doing it at the port, you can still take all the items to your point of departure from the EU.

Katherine

Katherine, we're from Europe so I was actually referring to the tax free shops in the customs-zone, like there are in Barcelona, Athens and Kusadasi, where you can buy tax free stuff without the paperwork or sealed bags.;)

I never saw any shops like what you are describing in the Baltic ports we visited -- Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallin, Klaipeda. As a matter of

fact, there weren't really 'customs zones" at any port -- just a fence or gate you crossed through (showing your ship's card as ID ) and you walked up to the ship.

Thanks, cruisestitch. One last question : was the onboard tobacco and liquor-store open during this cruise ? Last year these shops were closed during sailing in the Med (due to international restrictions) but last month on the Galaxy, also in the Med, it was open again.:confused:

The onboard shops are never open when you are in port. That being said, the liquor and tobacco shop will be open when you are sailing, but remember that you cannot take the liquor directly to your stateroom to consume during the cruise. What you purchase will be delivered to you the last night of the cruise. Since you live in Europe and will perhaps be driving, the airline restrictions about liquids will not apply. For the passengers who will be flying, remember that the liquor you purchase must go in your checked luggage. I always pack some bubble wrap for these. They may be delivered in a hard, cardboard carry case, depending on what you buy and how much.

Katherine

The onboard shops are never open when you are in port.

Yes, I know that from our previous cruises with X. So when I asked if this shop was open, I meant 'open while sailing'. So apparently it is. Like I already said : last year on the Galaxy in the Med, the shop was closed all time, also during sailing (due to international tax laws, according to a sign on the closed door). Last month, same ship, same itinerary, it was open during sailing.

We sailed Century to Norway in May 2007. When not in port all shops were open and often had some special sales.

As a resident from a non EU country you are entitled to VAT refunds in every store in the EU, however you have to purchase a certain amount, something like a minimum of EUR70)

The shop has to issue you with a sepcial form, which you hand over to the special VAT refund booth at the airport when you depart from an EU country

I am a Dutch citizen living in Norway (outside EU) and I am entitled for tax refunds even if I purchase things in the Netherlands. It's jsut a bit tricky getting your form stamped at the airport as Norway is part of Schengen, so no immigration and customs in sight.

Reint

Archived