What would you do?

nanaknees

My husband and I are booked for the last Carnival 2005 Glacier Bay cruise which sets sail 9/14. We have only been on 1 previous cruise on the Glory to Western Carribean in 9/2003. My brother-in-law is wanting me to reconsider going prior to September for a number of reasons which include the weather, daylight, wildlife, etc. in September.

I got a good rate on a 9A category when I booked in April, and the agency I booked with charges a cancellation fee of $75 (which I assume they would charge if I rebooked for a date change.) Is September not a good month to go? :confused: Thanks for any and all advice.

I can't tell you, I'm taking my first Alaska cruise Sept 3-10. We are very excited about going in Sept for lots of reasons. I guess it depends on what your primary reasons for going are. Ours were, less crowds, better cruise/land tour rates, and cold weather (we live in the FL Keys and are looking forward to being cold!).

I'm sure the people on this board can tell you their experiences and then you can decide for yourself what is most important to you and your vacation time and $$$.

Good Luck.

The weather can be aweful in Sept or it can be perfect like it was last year. I think the best motivation for going then is the price.

The days are much shorter than they are in the early/mid AK season, but I think they are too long then anyway!

It can be a very wide range on weather going from mid to the end of Sept. for clarification- Sept 3 will still be high season with no reduction in tourists. All ships are still sailing then. I have gone twice the end of season- BUT always at give away rates and always my second Alaska cruise that year. Earlier was always better- my opinion only.

My recommendation is to be prepared- take plenty of warm clothes- the big problems come when people can't enjoy the out doors due to lack of warm clothing. Take good rain gear- heavier/long ponchos are better than the thin short ones. 2 pair of walking shoes is a must- expect wet weather. Knit hat, gloves. Plan all your shore time touring early. Get out on deck- again dressed warm during the night- 1am for possible Northern Lights.

I would say it's a done deal- you are going??? Cancelation penalities are in force and too costly to cancel. With the above preparation- you'll have a WONDERFUL adventure. :)

We did back-to-back cruises last year, the end of Aug and begining of Sept. We had all kinds of weather. Some days were so warm that we wore bermudas. Other days it was cool and dressed in layers. Then a couple of days - lots of rain. But that is Alaska.

As the season winds down, the stores start to reduce a lot of the items by 50% or more just so they don't have to carry over the inventory to the next season. You can get some really great bargins.

Thanks everybody for your tips. I like the fact of less crowds and sales. We typically take our vacations in September, no matter what we do. The cold weather wouldn't bother us as long as we are prepared like Budget Queen suggests. I was wondering about being able to experience the glacier and seeing wildlife and other natural beauties in mid-September.

I've studied the excursions and planned to book them on the ship. What I had in mind were:

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake

Skagway - White Pass & Yukon Railway

Ketchikan - either the Saxman Native Village Tour or Whiskey Cove Kayaking

Does anyone have any pros or cons to say on these choices? We are in our 50s, hike, ride bicycles, exercise, and my husband hunts, so we could physically do other excursions, but I was trying to be budget conscious yet selective when choosing. Can one pretty much get the excursion they want when waiting to book it on the TV when they get on the ship? I know Carnival doesn't allow pre-booking of excursions. Thanks again all.

Many times, a cancellation fee only applies if you cancel the whole cruise and doesn't apply for a rebook. Check with your TA and see if the fee would apply. I can tell you this, though, if you cruise during the mid-June to mid-August timeframe, you will probably pay $200-$300 more per person for the same type of cabin. We keep having to cruise at those times because of our kids being out of school and it really irks me that the prices are so high then. But, May and even early June are cheaper as is September.

I misread your post. :) I see this is for 2005- I would change it to the beg. of Sept for more daylight and better weather. As for your excursion choices- forget about being so limited this early- leave yourself open for many many ideas- your choices will change just from reading these boards. I would have all plans in place before you go- these choices accomadate a large number of people so no need to book early- if going with ship excursions- they will be available for you. Any wildlife you wish to view will require tours. NOT likely for any significant sightings without them.

Archived