Weather next week in Alaska - Icky?

erdooley

Of course I've learned enough while researching this trip to realize that clouds and rain are likely in Alaska, but I just checked the 10-day outlook for all of our stops, and every day it just shows ONLY cloudy and rainy. Is that just what it will typically say all the time this time of year? Does that really mean it's likely to rain all day every day? I'm not afraid of a little drizzle, but I was hoping for some days that weren't too dreary and wet. Anyone exprerienced with the weather patterns and reports for that area? We're stopping in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We leave this Saturday. YAY!

The 10 day forcast before we left showed 60% of rain every day. It only rained for a few hours the first day of our cruise which was a sea day and then there wasn't a cloud in the sky in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. It was partly cloudy with no rain in Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

I wouldn't put to much stock in the 10 day forcast.

The 10 day forcast before we left showed 60% of rain every day. It only rained for a few hours the first day of our cruise which was a sea day and then there wasn't a cloud in the sky in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. It was partly cloudy with no rain in Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

I wouldn't put to much stock in the 10 day forcast.

Right Answer LarryF! That's what I wanted to see!;)

The weather is a subject close to all Alaskans' hearts; this is your way of going local!

Here in Juneau, we've had pouring rain for three straight days. Simply horrible, strong rain, heavy mist. I live across the channel from Juneau, and couldn't see it or the mountains at one point. Less rain this morning, then I noticed the deck was almost dry, then...this...light! I tossed everything in the car and was off for a hike in the sun. Both types of days could be described as cloudy with rain.

I popped out to the glacier yesterday to look for a trail map and was suprised to see how many people had been forced to wear the plastic garbage bag ponchos supplied by the ships. All the advice I can give about the rain forecasts is to come prepared for your planned activities. A proper coat, hat, boots and even rain pants make any activity possible. Watching the various miserable folks, with exposed ankles, dripping hair and collapsed umbrellas made me miserable. :( That and having a back up plan in case your excusions are cancelled is about all you can do. Trust me, if wishing changed the weather, it'd be sunny every day here!

There is no accuracy with even short dated predicted weather in Alaska :)

But my sailing last year did have 6 out of 7 days of rain/wind, so certainly can and does happen. Key is to be well prepared in your attire, take 2 pair of walking shoes.

Not surprising that it shows rain each day but that does not mean it will rain long or for that matter rain at all. Enjoy the cruise and don't worry about the weather since you can't do anything for that. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Bon Voyage!!

Keith

I was on the same cruise as LarryF. If you used weather.com, they are completely useless for Alaska (and NYC in my limited experience).

Best to find a webcam of your port stops and see what the weather is like in person. Or, read the reviews of people who just came back. Forget trying to get a forecast. Alaska weather is too unpredictable.

You were very fortunate! Our weather was the reverse - overcast in the port towns with rain in Juneau - and clear skies at the glaciers. Misty Fjords with Michelle was a bust.

A proper coat, hat, boots and even rain pants make any activity possible. Watching the various miserable folks, with exposed ankles, dripping hair and collapsed umbrellas made me miserable.

Coming up for our first AK cruise from central California where it's in the 90s every day and always sunny, I'm unclear how much of what I think of as my winter/camping gear to pack, or if I need something else new. Is it warm and rainy (gortex unlined jacket), or would I be better off with a moderate (lined) parka? Is a ball cap or brimmed hat okay, or should I pack a "winter" type cap? Or both? Is it enough to wear nylon trousers that won't get soggy or should I include my winter gortex pants? Soo confused with the many weather conditions. I'd like to not overpack, but I want to be able to go hiking and be out on deck with suitable clothes. I've got the basic idea of layering, and avoiding easily soaked cotton shirts and pants, but how many layers do people wear? I'm afraid I'll end up looking like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"! We will be visiting Skagway, Ketchican, and Juneau and I'd like to do some local trails as well as an excursion or two.

TIA for your experienced feedback.

I'm afraid I'll end up looking like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"!

:D Yes, we do snicker behind our hands when we see those poor people. My favorite was an unusual hot day in May, locals in sun dresses and shorts, cruisers in winter boots and parkas, sweating.

I'd go with the unlined coat that you can layer underneath. The temperature can change so much, sometimes 10 degrees within the day, it's best to be able to peel quickly, particularly when hiking. Once you get moving, because of the moisture in the air, you get warm quick. There's a big difference between Sacramento 58 degrees and the same here. The nylon pants sound like a good idea with the rain we've been having. I don't generally need more than a turtleneck, fleece sweater, and rain shell in the summer, and that's probably too much. A tee shirt/fleece, or turtleneck/fleece vest would do better.

But any standing out on decks, particularly around the glaciers, needs a bit more, and sure, tuck that knit cap into a corner of your suitcase for such days.

But my sailing last year did have 6 out of 7 days of rain/wind, so certainly can and does happen. Key is to be well prepared in your attire, take 2 pair of walking shoes.
BQ and other frequent AK travelers, do you travel with rain pants?

Ummm...rain pants :eek: ....leave in a week, anyone know where to buy rain pants in Oklahoma....? (Although we could have used them here the past couple of months.)

Ummm...rain pants :eek: ....leave in a week, anyone know where to buy rain pants in Oklahoma....? (Although we could have used them here the past couple of months.)

I've bought a good pair at REI, but I think they're only on the West Coast. Don't know if you have enough time to order online. Columbia brand makes a pair of basic rubber pants--don't breath worth a damn, but you're dry as a ziplock bag--maybe a camping store, or hunting supply store? If you guys have been battling high water, I wouldn't be surprised if some ranch supply stores are carrying such things.

The best type unzip or unsnap down the sides, so you can put them over pants if it starts raining, rather than where them all the time, making a squeeky noise.

Leaving in a week, stocked with breathable rain pants, goretex shell, rain hat, fleece, warm beret for glaciers, the goretex L.L. Bean boots, yet hopefully it'll be warm and sunny and I won't need all this stuff! I went camping in New Hampshire last week and it poured rain so we got a chance to try out all this gear and it worked: didn't have the boots, only hiking boots, and realized the more waterproof boots would work much better, not too hot in 60 degree weather. Including all the dress wear for the cruise, I don't think I've ever traveled with so many dress options for different occasions and conditions before. Thanks everyone for all the valuable advice on this thread.

No never, I only take a cheap long Walmart poncho. :) I also do not take hiking boots, they really are not needed unless you are going to be seriously hiking, all day and for miles. I go 2-3 miles in each port and never have needed them. You are better off with just a good pair of walking shoes, given them a waterproof spray, and they work out great.

Hi, Gail. The best place to buy rain pants, if you need them, is your DESTINATION! :D

I haven't been keeping up with our other thread, since I am preparing to go to Alaska, too.

Did I read you will be on the Zuiderdam? Someone on the 12/23 cruise from Sydney will be on the Zuiderdam, too, but after you....and after me, if I decide to accept the waitlist offer that was sent to me from HAL. Frankly, I think the price is WAY too high for the category (the Superior Verandah Suite, the one without access to the Neptune Lounge). What category did you book?

Tell me about your planned trip (on any thread you will choose). It would be great to chat in other than a public forum about our trips.

Okay.....decided to forgo the rain pants and go with the long poncho....:D Time is simply running out and what will be, will be....;)

Gillianrose......imagine meeting you here! Yes, we will be on the Zuiderdam. We have sailed her twice before and love the ship! I can imagine that you would too. (I think you should take the offer from HAL. ;) ) E-mail me.....feeleyg at aol dot com

Thanks everyone for your invaluable advice on cruising Alaska. I appreciate it! :)

Gail

I just returned from the Diamond Princess July 7-14. The forecast said rain and 50-ish and it rained and was 50-ish all week. BUT don't let that get you down! The ports are still fun despite the rain and Glacier Bay was still incredible, even though it was raining (misting). We had a completley covered balcony which helped. We kayaked in the rain in Ketchikan. Still awesome. We had rain off and on all day in Juneau for Mendenhall Glacier, whale watching and shopping, but still fun! Skagway was a mixed bag, actually saw the sun, but then it rained in the afternoon while we shopped. The clearest day was college fjord, which was great because Harvard Glacier was amazing.

So be prepared. Wear layers (tees/fleece/ a good rain jacket) and comfy shoes. And forget about the weather because we can't control it! :)

I just got off the NCL Pearl today, and we had rain, fog and cold in every port and Glacier Bay. Yay! :rolleyes: (Actually, except for our helicpoter tour being cancelled in Juneau, I didn't mind the weather since it had been so hot here before we left.) I wore jeans, a T-shirt, a micro fleece and my unlined snowboarding jacket in each rainy port and was plenty warm. I have to agree with tee harbor, I was actually too hot with the fleece and jacket on in most places. In Skagway I wore a ball cap under my jacket hood to Davidson Glacier and was fine, my husband preferred a beanie. I took my well worn trail shoes (not boots) since I hate having wet feet, my husband was fine in tennis shoes. I brought gloves and beanie and never wore them, my kids used theirs in Juneau. We were all warm enough with a fleece and an unlined rain jacket the whole trip.

Hi, Gail. The best place to buy rain pants, if you need them, is your DESTINATION! :D

I haven't been keeping up with our other thread, since I am preparing to go to Alaska, too.

Check the other thread for a message.

Good idead about the destination.....but we have shore tours in all three ports, no shopping time (much to dd's chagrin.... :( ).

I did go to a store here yesterday, Sun & Ski, and found a couple of things. Gee, I think I need to add ANOTHER suitcase though! We're spending a few days in Vancouver, post-cruise, so need more summer type clothes for there. Starting to think we should, perhaps, forgo formal nights so we can eleminate those clothes....:rolleyes:

Sacway says,

Coming up for our first AK cruise from central California where it's in the 90s every day and always sunny, I'm unclear how much of what I think of as my winter/camping gear to pack, or if I need something else new. Is it warm and rainy (gortex unlined jacket), or would I be better off with a moderate (lined) parka? Is a ball cap or brimmed hat okay, or should I pack a "winter" type cap? Or both? Is it enough to wear nylon trousers that won't get soggy or should I include my winter gortex pants? Soo confused with the many weather conditions. I'd like to not overpack, but I want to be able to go hiking and be out on deck with suitable clothes. I've got the basic idea of layering, and avoiding easily soaked cotton shirts and pants, but how many layers do people wear? I'm afraid I'll end up looking like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"! We will be visiting Skagway, Ketchican, and Juneau and I'd like to do some local trails as well as an excursion or two.

TIA for your experienced feedback.

We come from the same area here in No. Calif and I would agree with Tee Harbor in that the unlined rainproof shell is way to go. On our last trip, I took a nylon shell which I sprayed with water proofing and a heavier nylon lined jacket. Every time I put this on, I would die just walking around in the ship to get out. I ended up not using it except for time at Hubbard, where you can definitely use a heavier coat or more layers, as well as those gloves and hat. Unless you are hanging out on the bow of the ship next to Budget Queen at 5am at full speed, I didn't need heavier on deck or out on our excursions.

I also took a Sterns rainsuit (cheap) which I used on our Katmai NP bear watch for sitting on wet gravel in river bed, and on our Cap Larry whalewatch in rain drizzle all day.

All this depends on the amount of body padding and circulation you have as my wife will have layers on even when the sun is out and I'm taking off my jacket.

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice! I'm almost completely packed as we are leaving in 3 days for Seattle. I took my packing list and was brutal on the deletions but did leave in my waterproof nikes (not hiking boots) that I'll wear on the plane and included a very light hooded parka for hanging out on deck.

"Ralphie"

Archived