JUST OFF JEWEL 30th JUNE SAILING

phbr

We landed back in Harwich yesterday morning after an excellent 12 nighter through Scandinavia, The Baltics and St Petersburg.

I'll do a 'proper' review for CC later, but just afew points that might be of interest to Jewel fans and those shortly to sail on her..

HARWICH/EMBARKATION.

If you are leaving from London or its airports to Harwich, get the coach service or a private transfer We went by train from Heathrow to Paddington to Liverpool St To Harwich and it was an ordeal puliing cases up and down railway platforms.

Embarkation itself was well handled. Because a train load landed together it was busy when we got there at 1.30, but we were in our stateroom by about 2.30.

SEA DAYS.

We were at sea from Saturday at 5pm till Tuesday morning when we docked in Tallinn, Estonia. The North Sea and the Baltic were quite kind. It was mostly grey and dull but thankfully not rough. We had an unplanned sea day on Day 9 when Visby was cancelled due to roughish seas (too much for the tenders), and probably the most swell we had was on the return from Copenhagen to Harwich, when a few people were affected by the seas, although not too many.

SERVICE ON BOARD.

We were impressed with the standard of food and food service on the Jewel, both in Tides and the Windjammer. Also went to both Portofinos and Chops, of which Chops gets the nod, mainly because I prefer steak to Italian food.

Bar service was attentive and the Stateromm attendants we had were great.

Our one gripe was with the Spa. They refused to alter an appointment my wife had made for a seaweed wrap, stating they were 'fully booked' for the netire cruise except for 8a.m. She went ahead, but learnt later there was plenty of availability. Not impressed with the fob off and we told them so . Another tip , if you plan booking the Thermal Suite for the 12 day package, don't. There are 3 'Ladies Only' evenings that they don't tell you about when you book, so you really only have access for 9 days(if you are a couple) Again, a little bit of sharp selling practice here.

PORTS OF CALL.

Tallinn Estonia, very nice, unusual. Lots of cobbled streets and old churches.

St Petersburg. Magnificent.

Helsinki. Nice city but a little bland and colourless

Stockholm. Superb. Needed longer there. Go to the Ice Bar

Warnemunde. Jewel might not be back there for a while, but combined with Rostock, a little gem. There were thousands on the pier waving us off, and a massive firework display. One of the most pleasant days we had.

Copenhagen. Lovely city but pricey.

ENTERTAINMENT ON BOARD.

A little disappointing overall. There was no 'party' band to whip up an atmosphere. Plenty of MOR smoochy music, but no rock and roll, if you get my drift. Couple of good comedian and the usual production shows which were o.k,

CRUISE DIRECTOR.

Bobby Brown. Good, not dynamic a la Becky Thompson, but did his job and looked great in his kilt on Formal nights.

CC MEET & MINGLE.

The best by far we have been at. Met all the folks from the M&M board and went to dinner in Portofino's as a group. Met up frequently during the tours. Very friendly bunch.

EXCURSIONS.

Did mixture of RCI and Red October (St Petersburg), RCI (Stockholm) and did our own thing the rest of the time. Good standard of tours overall.

STATEROOM

We were in 8590, balcony on starboard side on the hump. The balcony was a little angular, but otherwise the room was fine. Our daughetr and friend were in inside 8641, no problem there either.

More when I think of it

Hi phbr,

Interesting to read your post, look forward to a full review.:)

We almost booked this cruise for next summer but "chickened" out and booked the warmer med instead! Still want to do it tho'.

You touched on sea conditions but what was the weather like in ports, temps etc.?

What it mostly Brits on board?

Were there any teenagers ? Do you think it would be a suitable itinerary for them? (have 15yr old son)

Many thanks - and glad you had a great time:)

Hi phbr,

Interesting to read your post, look forward to a full review.:)

We almost booked this cruise for next summer but "chickened" out and booked the warmer med instead! Still want to do it tho'.

You touched on sea conditions but what was the weather like in ports, temps etc.?

What it mostly Brits on board?

Were there any teenagers ? Do you think it would be a suitable itinerary for them? (have 15yr old son)

Many thanks - and glad you had a great time:)

The weather in the ports was as follows.

Tallinn, warm, bit cloudy about 20 degrees celsius

St Petersburg, ditto, got a bit warmer in the evening.

Helsinki, cloudy not as warm

Stockholm, cloudy, rained in the evening

Warnemunde, Bright and warm

Copenhagen. cloudy about 20 degress.

It rained at sometime most days although never too heavily.

As regards teens, while there are good facilities, I noticed a lot of 15 year plds wandering around aimlessly. maybe they were fed up of what the ship could offer, but I made a mental note that its not a ship for that age group

We love the Jewel as well. Your cruise ports sound wonderfull.

We really liked Bobby Brown as CD. Great sense of humor and so professional.. We have had Becky too on the Mariner but my eardrums couldn't take the screaming!! Most people do like her though.

phbr - did you still have Capt Vidar Solem as your master?

Yes, he was VERY good. frequent reports from the Bridge and a very informative Q&A session on the last day. Ship left every port on the button and arrived dead on time as well.

I forgot to answer a previous query about the break down of passengers.. At the Welcome Aboard Show, Bobby Brown read out the numbers and nationality of the passengers. There were 996 from USA, about 450 from the UK, over 200 from Mexico. 53 Irish, only 3 from Germany. Can't remember the other numbers. Because there were so many Spanish speakers on board, all main announcements were made in both English and Spansh

Archived