Last minute newbie weird questions

erdooley

We're leaving on the morning for Alaska and I have a few things I've had time to stop and wonder about:

1. Is there a newstand on the ship (We're on the Golden). Or a place where we can buy books and/or magazines?

2. We're traveling w/ a 3 year old who needs lots of snacks like most pre-schoolers. Is there any place to replenish our Goldfish supply? Or are there snacky foods available, something like granola bars, crackers, cheese, etc... Or do we just stop by the buffet anytime?

3. Weird one... can anyone tell me if the standard toilet paper in the staterooms (mini-suite, specifically) is decent? Let's just say I'm a little sensitive and find anything less than Charmin to be abrasive. I mean, I can tolerate something a little less plush, but if it's that same kind of TP you find in gas station bathrooms, (like 1/2 a ply), I'll have to bring my own.

4. Is there an indoor pool (that allows kids) on the Golden Princess?

Thanks for your help!

I have not been on the Golden .. but Princess in general

You will be able to buy books and I think some magazines ..limited supply of each

There is a buffet open 24/7

About the TP .. it will not be what you are used to .. but it is biodegradeable for a reason .. those are marine toilets and you don't want it backed up in the cabin .. so use whatever you decide sparingly :)

Have a wonderful trip

Your kid will be fine if you stop by the buffet. You can also stock up while in port if he's picky. They don't have everything. I don't recall goldfish for example. I brought along a huge box of individual packs of goldfish, cookies, etc from Costco in case we were out too long (pregnant wife needed to eat every 2 hours). I don't think we used up one bag until after we left the ship. There's food EVERYWHERE. We even ate on the excursions.

1) Yes, there is a small shop that has those. Don't forget about the library where you can check out books also.

2) Yes, same shop has snacks like that. But the buffet may be fine for you with crackers etc. Not sure about Goldfish, though I doubt it.

3) I like Charmain too but have found the Princess stuff OK. But I'm not sure how sensitive you are. If you can't stand the TP at Hyatts or Hiltons, you better make plans now!

4) Yes, there is an indoor pools. It has a retractable roof so it may not be indoor all the time.

3. Weird one... can anyone tell me if the standard toilet paper in the staterooms (mini-suite, specifically) is decent? Let's just say I'm a little sensitive and find anything less than Charmin to be abrasive. I mean, I can tolerate something a little less plush, but if it's that same kind of TP you find in gas station bathrooms, (like 1/2 a ply), I'll have to bring my own.

If you bring your own TP be sure to dispose of it in the trash basket, not in the toilet! The ship's toilets are very sensitive and you may "block" a whole deck if your toilet isn't used correctly :eek: .

If you bring your own TP be sure to dispose of it in the trash basket, not in the toilet! The ship's toilets are very sensitive and you may "block" a whole deck if your toilet isn't used correctly :eek: .
Not only that, but you can bet it'll be your toilet that's the one overflowing. Not a pretty sight or smell. If your 3YO isn't potty trained, be very, very careful what you put in the toilet and flush away. Like the TP, you may be flushing it right back out into your cabin.

I don't recall seeing magazines in the ship's store...some books. I bring my own supply of reading material (a couple of paperbacks, a puzzle magazine).

If your child is into a particular kind of snack, you should just go ahead and bring it. What I have done is pack Cheerios (the last time I cruised, Princess had Kelloggs brand), fruit snacks, whatever in a plastic container or ziplock bag (depending on how fragile) so I'm not at the mercy of trying to track these in port. We did replenish our bottled water and sodas in Juneau at a main street store.

We also bought our own individual packets of snacks for the girls and they would sometimes take a packet of cereal from the buffet of a morning to nibble on as well..... re the tp dd#2 is EXTREMELY sensitive and we have never had a problem!

There are a handful of paperback books in the ship's store, but I wouldn't count on magazines or newspapers. I've never seen them, and I have looked as I love magazines. Those might be something you will want to get before you get on the ship, perhaps at the airport.

Archived