Pacific Star cruise aborted in Vila

Guess what, I was thinking the same thing, so my family booked flights and a hotel over there:D . Yay, still get a holiday. Hope the weathers nice?

And good luck to everyone else, hope you can still get a great holiday somewhere

I am sorry to tell you but I am freezing here in sunny Southern Brisbane today, but it may warm up

I think you might find that when the next seasons brochures are released, they will have the Sun doing an Auckland season. Its replacing the Star cruising out of Brisbane and one would assume that it would mean also for the winter season it does from over there as well.

Dont lose hope just yet.

Yep, Pacific Sun will be doing the winter season out of Auckland in 2008.

Kym

Sorry to everybody who has lost their cruise, I really feel your disappointment. I love the 25% discount bit, P & O tend to discount up to 45% to fill the ships. They would do one hell of a lot better if they actually started sending decent ships down-under. I won't sail them again, I hate those old beyond their years ships. Wonder why they keep persisting with them. :confused:

I am sorry to tell you but I am freezing here in sunny Southern Brisbane today, but it may warm up

You know we are spoilt with our weather - we might be freezing but our clear blue sky with a max today of 19 degrees would probably feel great compared to Auckland's current temp which is cloudy and a max of 13. We're just climatised and think it's cold because we're spoilt lol :p

It's an ill wind that blows nobody no good. One bright spot for me is that we are booked in September. Hopefully repairs done, seas calm, P&O bending over backward to impress. So sad for you guys who missed out.

You know we are spoilt with our weather - we might be freezing but our clear blue sky with a max today of 19 degrees would probably feel great compared to Auckland's current temp which is cloudy and a max of 13. We're just climatised and think it's cold because we're spoilt lol :p

hate to disappoint you but its sunny here in Auckland today and a temperature of 17 degrees. I have just come back from my daily walk around the block and had to take my jacket off because I got really hot. I was thinking as I took it off this is stupid, its mid July and hot. Oh well don't look a gift horse in the mouth eh! :D

:( I saw a spokeswoman from P and O on the news last night trying to defend the captain's decision to leave the port. I would like to know who that captain was so that I never, ever book a cruise when he's in charge.:( I am very sorry for everyone who has has their cruises cancelled. I've had two cancelled a short notice so I know how disappointing it is. Best wishes, Pink Poodle.

I’m with you Pink Poodle I would also like to know who the captain was ?:mad:

I’m sorry for those who had their cruises cancelled, I know how p** off I was when they cancelled our first cruise with 6 days notes, but I guess we can’t predict the weather:confused:

Cheers Mouse:)

Yeah but I was aware that there was a bloody nasty storm heading towards Auckland well before that ship left port. There had been plenty of warnings and it had already hit further north, goodness me people were losing their power by about 2.30 pm and it has to be really blowing for that to happen.

I feel the disappointment of those who will miss their cruise but I feel even sorrier for the folk that were on board that ship. There are some really horrible stories being told now by returning passengers. If anyone is really interested google the NZ Herald and take a read yourselves.

I'm sorry for those who have had their cruises cancelled as well. In hindsight, if the ship hadn't sailed it wouldn't have got damaged, cruises wouldn't have to be cancelled and only 1 cruise would have been affected.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

At the time, the harbour was open, he had a ship full of passengers waiting eagerly to sail, and predicting the weather would be a hard thing to do - I think a lot of people were surprised at the strength of the storm.

As for knowing his name so you can avoid him, the earliest I've ever found out the name of the captain is when we're on board reading the Pacific Daily - bit late then to jump ship! I guess you could ask at the time of booking, but there'd probably be no gaurantees that wouldn't change before you sailed. But there would be no need to - I'd be happy to cruise with this captain, and I don't think you can blame him for anything.

The master of the Pacific Star is Captain Ivan Jerman who has 35 years sea service. Had he refused to sail the Star from Auckland last week on the strength of a weather forecast he would be in big trouble with his employer. At the time Auckland port was open & the pilot was able to get off the ship OK.

A Tasman winter storm would not keep any merchant ship in port if the pilot service was still operating.

Modern ships are built to handle the worst of weather & are manned in Aust. & NZ at least by experienced mariners.

Going on a cruise there is always the risk of extreme weather. If you can't take that risk - don't go.

It's the same as with bad turbulance on an plane - some people won't fly.

Hindsight is a wonderful gift.

93642476_144145NCLNorwegianDawn.jpg.ab8a0faebd2d1357b6b412574ffa6770.jpg

604914451_267277Endofthestorm.jpg.78b2c503694ff5132f5037f6e7d3ef5c.jpg

I’m with you Pink Poodle I would also like to know who the captain was ?:mad:

I’m sorry for those who had their cruises cancelled, I know how p** off I was when they cancelled our first cruise with 6 days notes, but I guess we can’t predict the weather:confused:

Cheers Mouse:)

The Captain of the Pacific Star is Ivan Jerman, he replaced Captain Stefano Ravera in June. Captain Ravera is now temporarily on board the Sun Princess in Alaska, and will not be returning to Australia. A sad loss!!

Archived