how much time do you give a chair hog...here is my take....

Okay, I'll bite. I can't imagine having a problem with those in the Windjammer who are actually using the chairs whether they are playing cards or viewing the scenery. The Windjammer is a great public place to spend some time. For those that don't have a balcony or want to spend some time with friends with a great large window view, it is a great place to be. Some of us cannot tolerate excessive heat so can't do this outdoors, so we do it in the Windjammer where there is A/C.

For me, chairs hogs (WJ or anywhere) are those who take a whole table of 4 or 8 and "hold" the chairs with only one person. If someone is back in a few minutes from just getting food, it is one thing, but for those who show up at the WJ, say 20-30 minutes before their party shows and hold a table, that is chair hogging to me. Chair hogging is holding chairs for people who are not actually in the area (and may or may not show up).

During a Panama crossing, they actually have signs in the WJ asking people to only use window seats while they are eating because after a while, there is no place for people to eat otherwise.

Viv

All it takes is for the pool staff to remove towels from "empty" chairs during the day. The staff should go through the pool area and clean it up on a regular basis rather than force the passengers to police the area.

My DW had some "lawyer" go psycho on her when she took over "his" pool chair after it sat vacant for hours. Most dedicated cruisers are fine but it only takes a few chair hogs to wreck it for the rest.

Griswalds

This is about a different kind of chair hog. On long cruises, especially TA's when it is cool outside many people go to the covered pool and park, fully clothed, with their blanket and book. Then the people who want to use the pool come, and after swimming have to towel down and cover up standing by the tables - freezing when the door opens from the deck. Not pleasant ..... but I don't think there is any solution!

Actually I think 15 minutes is a bit short, I think 30 inutes is much more reasonable.
Who's going to stand around the pool for 30 minutes with a towel in his hand waiting to see if someone comes to claim the chair?

I may bring her handicap car window sticker and place it on the chair if it is this bad.....

This will be our first on RCCL....I am not getting that warm fuzzy feeling about enjoying a day up on deck....

I do hope this is overstated....

I think bringing the handicap sticker is a good idea, but make sure you can replace it. In CA people love to steal them.

The chair hog issue is big on this board, but frankly there are not people arguing all day long over chairs on the ships. Take this information here as just that: be informed. Most people have no trouble.

I think the "be right back" signs are a good idea, too. Or, tell the pool attendant you are leaving to get the meds, etc., and about your wife's mobility issues. They will be happy to help you save the chairs.

The last time we were on a cruise, a woman would save at least 8 chairs at a time for her teen daughter and her friends. (Who I remind you would never show.) well every now and then my dad likes to join my mom and I at the pool. Well one day my dad got annoyed for attempting to find an empty chair, took their chair. They came back didn't even NOTICE that one chair was missing!!! Im sorry but if you don't even bother to notice one of your chairs is missing you don't need them at all. Save one for yourself and thats that. Not 7 other people who are definately not going to show.

ALSO saving a chair for your children in my mind is so stupid unless they are old enough to lay there and "tan" there is no need to save so they can sit there butt down for 2 minutes and dry from the pool. Children will always run off after 5 minutes of having the chair to do something else.

I seem to remember from a previous post about "chair angels". They leave their unwanted items on the chairs for others people to enjoy.:D

haha i love this idea. Instead of calling them chair hogs do call them chair angels. Can't wait to find a Harry Potter book to read on my next up coming cruise. :D

Archived