Coin ceremony?

Sunshine91

On a website providing info about Eurodam, one of the milestone dates is listed as "coin ceremony/floating out date". It's scheduled for one year to the day from the day contruction started.

I get floating out, but coin ceremony? Haven't heard that one. Copper, Brian, anyone? Thanks. :)

Its a traditional ceremony that dates back to wooden ship days, or in other words a long time ago ;) . Its done for good luck. In the old days they used to place coins under the keel blocks when laying the keel. Today, depending upon the builder , or country, they some times hide coins in a keel section, or weld some on, or create plaques with the coins which are affixed to a bulkhead.

Next time you're aboard a HAL/Fincantieri ship, go up on Sports Deck and look at the forward base of the radio mast.

There should be a little window about eye level: That's where the coins are.

On a website providing info about Eurodam, one of the milestone dates is listed as "coin ceremony/floating out date". It's scheduled for one year to the day from the day contruction started.

I get floating out, but coin ceremony? Haven't heard that one. Copper, Brian, anyone? Thanks. :)

The Coin thing was done by the ancient Romans and has been going on ever since. It was used as an offering to Poseidon.

P.S: only reason I know is because I just watched this thing on the QM2 and it showed the coin ceremony:p

Next time you're aboard a HAL/Fincantieri ship, go up on Sports Deck and look at the forward base of the radio mast.

There should be a little window about eye level: That's where the coins are.

This is simply fascinating!

Of course the definition of "eye level" differs for everyone. What's onboard the ship means I'll likely need to stand on a chair. :D Unless of course it's formal night & I'm wearing my stilettos. ;)

Thanks, all. :)

Archived