Do walkie talkies work?

KS17

Just found out if my family wants to communicate with eachother on the ship by cell phone the cost is $2.49 per minute for each phone. I was thinking about getting those walkie talkies/2-way radios. Has anyone used these on the ship and do they work well?

We are sailing on FOS.:)

Just found out if my family wants to communicate with eachother on the ship by cell phone the cost is $2.49 per minute for each phone. I was thinking about getting those walkie talkies/2-way radios. Has anyone used these on the ship and do they work well?

We are sailing on FOS.:)

I used them on FOS and they worked fine for the most part!

But beware...now you're going to get all the comments of walkie-talkie haters on this board!!! :p

Yes, they work...........I have seen and heard them:eek: from other people.........

just use common courtesy when using them,just like the Nextell phones...remember we all can hear the conversations.....but I imagine they come in handy with kids...:)

Uh oh...didn't realize walkie talkies could offend people. Are they any worse than people talking on cell phones? I just want to be able to communicate easily. We have 10 people going, 5 are kids. Don't want to cause an uproar, just want to know where my kids are at all times.

Uh oh...didn't realize walkie talkies could offend people. Are they any worse than people talking on cell phones? I just want to be able to communicate easily. We have 10 people going, 5 are kids. Don't want to cause an uproar, just want to know where my kids are at all times.

They're worse only because you can hear both sides. Actually, IMHO, they are just as bad as the Nextel Phones, where you can hear the entire conversation. But like Kathy said above, just use common courtesy and you will be fine! :)

Yes they work. We love them because we give one to our DD in Adventure Ocean (we won't let her sign herself out) so when she wants to leave the AO area, she just calls us on the walkie talkie and we pick her up.

I agree with the poster who asked people using walkie talkies to be courteous. We use ours mostly at the pool (we are in the sun, while DD is in AO!) so the noise from the pool area drowns out any beeping, buzzing or ringing. We never use them in dining rooms or other areas that may disturb passengers.

Christey,from NJ you have been on the Freedom maybe you can answer a question for me,when are the formal Nights,and what night do they serve lobster,was wondering what are the two best nights to go to the specialty resturants,your input would greatly be appreciated.

We have used them on every ship we have been on - easy way to keep in touch when we all head in different directions - you will probably have to play with the channel settings to avoid really busy ones. As others have indicated common courtesy is always appreciated when using any communications device.

You might consider using text messages. I called our provider (AT&T) and I was told the same as you, $2.49 per minute. But text messages are free to receive and $0.50 to send. So, I'm weighing the cost of estimated text messages vs. the cost/hassel of walkie talkies. Still thinking about it, haven't completely made up my mind yet. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you hadn't thought of it.

Have fun!

Christey,from NJ you have been on the Freedom maybe you can answer a question for me,when are the formal Nights,and what night do they serve lobster,was wondering what are the two best nights to go to the specialty resturants,your input would greatly be appreciated.

Hi pbelavich!

Well, I am assuming that you like lobster, since you asked about it. But, funny you should ask ME, because I am severly allergic to shellfish and can't even be around it! So every lobster night (which, at the time we were on Freedom was Thursday) I have to go to Portofino.

Going to Portofino on lobster night is AWESOME for me....because there's not that many people in there at all, since lobster night is so popular. Now keep in mind too, I was on Freedom last September, and the lobster night may have changed since then! But if you don't care for lobster, that's definitely the night to go to Portofino, because the service is even more personalized since it's not as crowded.

But, that all may be of no value to you if you are looking forward to lobster night! Sorry! :o

Archived