Lobster on Celebrity

Morganw42

I'm taking my parents and my brother's family on a 7 night Millennium 1/06/2008. None have them have ever been on a cruise and my wife and I have never been on Celebrity. My mom has been reading obsessively about cruising since we planned the trip and is hung up on the whole idea of "Lobster Night". I don't know why, we grew up in Vermont with easy access to real Maine lobster and my wife is from Maine so she's a lobster expert, we all know and expect the lobster to be just warm water tails. But mom's looking forward to it and it is her first cruise so here goes:

1. Does Celebrity even have a "Lobster Night"?

2. What night is it on? My wife and I are much more interested in eating in the Olympic dining room, but my Mom is being a chicken about making a reservation because she's afraid of missing the aforementioned crustacean massacre. Does anybody know what night lobster is served on a 7 night Milly cruise so I can make sure to get my reservations right?

sorry do not agree yes they are lobster tails which have been frozen then defrosted and then cooked. when that is done on the scale the kitchen has to do to prepare that many, they are very often overcooked and therefore very tough. I dont care what cruise line - with the possible exception of luxury lines - that have the time to prepare them to order. I have ceased to even bother ordering them only to be disappointed in a tastless, rubbery crustacean. I would rather cook my own at home:) so "lobster night" is anything but for me

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as a snob with the whole Maine lobster thing. I really quite like warm water lobster tails. I was just trying to express that I'm going into this with reasonable expectations. Didn't mean to knock the lob.

...It's the second formal night the next to last dinner..

It is the last formal night, almost always on the second to last night of your cruise. So for cruises with three formal nights it will be the third one.

The lobster has ranged from mediocre to pretty good, and has occasionally been tough as the poster above noted. If you want to play it safe ask your waiter for another entree - with a lobster tail added or on the side! Our waiters have been happy to oblige, and also offer extra lobster tails as well.

I am afraid that you will be disappointed with the lobster on the cruise. It is no where as good as Maine or PEI lobster. Even for warm water lobster, it is disappointing. As has been pointed out, it has been frozen(naturally) and then when quickly rehaeted, it is dry and tough.

Its hit and miss but here is a hint. If the previous cruise was 2 weeks your cruise will probably be completely reprovisioned - less chance of freezer burn.

We went on Infinity in April after it had cruised of from South America. The lobster was OK, good texture and heat. They actually got the Sirloin strip OK for a good Surf/Turf.

That said, there were definitely better meals during our cruise.

Dear George:

It's at times like this, or when my family was complaining about the lobster aboard Infinity, that I'm glad I don't eat seafood. I found the food aboard Infinity to be quite good, other than the fancy desserts. That's OK, because I really enjoyed the Sherbert.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I ate seafood entrees every night on our 5 nighter in April, and hope to do more of the same next year on Millie. I love seafood! The lobster night (had to laugh at Morgan's 'crustacean massacre') was okay - not the best I've ever had, but certainly enjoyable. I had seconds, even.

The lobster is just ok but still enjoyable. Order 2 as they are somewhat small. Like another poster said, my DW will order a beef dish and I the lobster, and share. surf and turf.

Rollie

The lobster is just ok but still enjoyable. Order 2 as they are somewhat small. Like another poster said, my DW will order a beef dish and I the lobster, and share. surf and turf.

Rollie

No need to share. Order as much of either or both as you want. I saw people eating 3 orders of Lobster on Lobster night. I think that it should be available more than once on a 14 night cruise, and then limit the number per person. Not for me, of course, because I eat no seafood.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

True, the lobster isn't the best lobster I've ever had, but I still like it and would rather they offer it than not!

The only bad thing about lobster night is that it means your cruise is over in two days!

We made reservations on Constellation one time for the specialty restaurant without knowing it was lobster night. As soon as the menus arrived, the Captain explained that since it was lobster night in the main dining room, they had a special lobster entree not on the menu. It was spectacular, and cooked to order just like all the food in the specialty dining rooms. Definitely the best lobster we've ever had on any cruise.

However, we just got off Infinity and the lobster was sweet and tender - not Maine quality, but enjoyable and special nonetheless.

Bon Appetit!

Its hit and miss but here is a hint. If the previous cruise was 2 weeks your cruise will probably be completely reprovisioned - less chance of freezer burn.

OOh, I never even gave a thought to that - we're the first cruise after a Transatlantic crossing - so EVERYTHING should be newly stocked and fresh when we sail?

Dear George:

It's at times like this, or when my family was complaining about the lobster aboard Infinity, that I'm glad I don't eat seafood. I found the food aboard Infinity to be quite good, other than the fancy desserts. That's OK, because I really enjoyed the Sherbert.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

What do you know! Its the ice cream that's best (especially those nuts like me ;)). Seriously, almond, pecan, pistachio, .... maybe a little caramel.

Oh, Oh. I just gained 10 pounds.

We went on Infinity in April after it had cruised of from South America. The lobster was OK, good texture and heat. They actually got the Sirloin strip OK for a good Surf/Turf.

That said, there were definitely better meals during our cruise.

Since your lobster has been frozen for prolly 6 months already I don't think that having your ship provisioned today, yesterday or 3 weeks ago is gonna make any difference to whether or not the lobster is freezer burned..:)

Since your lobster has been frozen for prolly 6 months already I don't think that having your ship provisioned today, yesterday or 3 weeks ago is gonna make any difference to whether or not the lobster is freezer burned..:)

That's harsh! Do you not like cruising, Celebrity or is it just frozen lobster?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

That's harsh! Do you not like cruising, Celebrity or is it just frozen lobster?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

HUH?? :confused: I love Celebrity, always eat 4 or 5 lobsters but if anyone thinks that being provisioned more closely to your embarkation date is gonna make the lobster "fresher" or less likey to be freezerburned is kinda naive...mines NEVER been freezerburned but you can bet it has been frozen for a good long while!:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

Could you order lobster in speciality-restaurant any day, or only on lobster-night in all restaurants?

Ahoi,

I am not looking at a menu [probably posted on one of these boards], but I think X Speciality resturants have something like lobster & scallops in a cream sauce every night [i've eaten this, it was good, but it was several cruises ago so I'm not sure about the details]. They also have a lobster bisque soup every night. To the best of my knowledge the speciality resturants never have just straight lobster [i might be wrong, so if anyone has had it speak up], even on "lobster night".

Archived