How hard is it to take the train or bus from Marseille to Aix

I am looking for info on taking the train or bus to Aix from Marseille, I haved searched the boards and am still not sure if it is easy enough to do on our own, any help would be appreciated...:)

Last year, it was our plan to take the train and we were going to take a taxi to the train station. There were numerous taxis waiting but one of the drivers who spoke english negogiated a deal with us to drive us all day. There were four of us. It was wonderful. He drove us to Aix and then to Cassis and then to Marseille. He was always waiting for us when he said he would be, plus we left any purchases in the car. He made recommendations for us. It turned out to be a wonderful experience.

I don't remember exactly what the charge was, but I remember that it was reasonable and so great to have our own driver.

When we got off the ship (we were on Voyager of the Seas) there were some merchants set up and one was selling the french soap. her name was Margarite and she was very helpful...spoke great English. So, I think if you want to take the train, you will be able to get their on your own.

My brother and his wife decided to go on their own and rented a car in Marseille. When they were at a stoplight, a guy hopped off the back of a motorcycle and reached in the front seat floor for my sil's purse. Since there was none there, he actually climbed into the back seat to get a backpack. He got it and was hit by another car before he could get on the back of the motorcycle, but another motorcycle picked him up.

My brother is in his 70's...spry for 70, but he was not able to get this guy and noone seemed to want to help. They lost some things, but not much...rx sunglasses, umbrellas, etc...not passport or money, mostly they were just mad. But the point is to be EXTREMELY careful when you are out on your own in Marseille. Actually, they warned us plenty about many cities on the Riviera, but this was our only incident.

Aix is DEFINITELY worth the trip! It is a beautiful city...and Cassis is wonderful as well. WE had the best scallops of our live there (and we live in Florida)

Marseille is a big city. It has some charming areas and a beautiful church with a delicious view. It is the fact that it is a big city and you have to be cautious.

My post is not to worry, but just to make you aware. I just came home from a Baltic cruise where someone on a shore excursion to St Petersburg was pickpocketed in the Hermitage...you just have to be aware.

Last year, it was our plan to take the train and we were going to take a taxi to the train station. There were numerous taxis waiting but one of the drivers who spoke english negogiated a deal with us to drive us all day. There were four of us. It was wonderful. He drove us to Aix and then to Cassis and then to Marseille. He was always waiting for us when he said he would be, plus we left any purchases in the car. He made recommendations for us. It turned out to be a wonderful experience.

I don't remember exactly what the charge was, but I remember that it was reasonable and so great to have our own driver.

When we got off the ship (we were on Voyager of the Seas) there were some merchants set up and one was selling the french soap. her name was Margarite and she was very helpful...spoke great English. So, I think if you want to take the train, you will be able to get their on your own.

My brother and his wife decided to go on their own and rented a car in Marseille. When they were at a stoplight, a guy hopped off the back of a motorcycle and reached in the front seat floor for my sil's purse. Since there was none there, he actually climbed into the back seat to get a backpack. He got it and was hit by another car before he could get on the back of the motorcycle, but another motorcycle picked him up.

My brother is in his 70's...spry for 70, but he was not able to get this guy and noone seemed to want to help. They lost some things, but not much...rx sunglasses, umbrellas, etc...not passport or money, mostly they were just mad. But the point is to be EXTREMELY careful when you are out on your own in Marseille. Actually, they warned us plenty about many cities on the Riviera, but this was our only incident.

Wow! We have been driving in Europe for about 30 years and, although we had heard some stories, we never experienced such a horrible theft. But, I am curious. When we are driving in European cities we tend to lock our doors and keep the windows closed (just like in USA cities). As to the Riviera, we have spend weeks in this part of France and loved every moment. We have witnessed motorcycle thefts in Italy where they will ride by a pedestrian and grab a purse off a womans shoulder. On the other hand, if this happened in New York they would have shot the woman and than taken the purse! :)

Hank

Wow! We have been driving in Europe for about 30 years and, although we had heard some stories, we never experienced such a horrible theft. But, I am curious. When we are driving in European cities we tend to lock our doors and keep the windows closed (just like in USA cities). As to the Riviera, we have spend weeks in this part of France and loved every moment. We have witnessed motorcycle thefts in Italy where they will ride by a pedestrian and grab a purse off a womans shoulder. On the other hand, if this happened in New York they would have shot the woman and than taken the purse! :)

Hank

:rolleyes: Very true!!! My brother did think the doors were locked...a newer car w/o the locks that go up and down and I think some rental cars are more obvious than others, but I agree, dangerous things happen in every city.

We have often seen rental cars that will have a bar-code sticker on the door or even a bumper sticker than IDs the rental car company. This always makes me uneasy because we all know that rental cars are a very inviting target for thiefs. In fact, when we stop at a rest stop in Italy, France, Spain or elsewhere and have luggage in our car, one of us always stays with the car (we have seen gypsies working the parking lots). I posted this before, but there is a new practice along the main routes in Italy. At many rest stops there will be an old pensioner who supplements his income by watching cars. If you give him a few Euros he will make sure nobody breaks into your car to steal your luggage. Entreprenaurship is alive and well in Italy :)

Hank

I read on another post that someone suggested getting a bicycle chain and putting it through the handles of your luggage in the trunk and then securing it to a bar in the trunk if possible - makes it more difficult to steal your suitcases.

Marseille, being a notorious port city, has always had a bad rep. My sister and I drove around the Riviera and other parts of Provence and had no problems. Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

I'd say it is easy to take trains in Europe. I would suggest to try to get as many schedules as possible before you go so you know exactly when trains depart and arrive. I wasn't so prepared this last time so it is disappointing when you arrive and the next train out isn't for another two or three hours. We went to Avignon from Marseilles. Maybe Aix has more frequent trains. We got a late start so we couldn't go to both Arles and Avignon as I had hoped. Also, where our ship docked it was quite a ride to Vieux Port or the train station in Marseille. Allow about 20-30 minutes by cab. There are shuttle buses which for HAL were $5 each way, but that will get you to the Vieux Port. Then you need to take a bus or metro to the train station. Good luck.

Archived