RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

Well, I bet nobody is going to be pumping that diesel exhaust into my future cabin the week before I cruise. ;)
Where I work they cleverly put the air intake vent for the building right next to the loading dock where all the trucks sit and idle.

But anyway, the topic we were discussing was the health "dangers" of the open decks, not cabins.

Where I work they cleverly put the air intake vent for the building right next to the loading dock where all the trucks sit and idle.

But anyway, the topic we were discussing was the health "dangers" of the open decks, not cabins.

Thats awful.That would be against the law here

Strange I have been in many hotel rooms that have reeked of smoke, but in all of my cruises, [and I've done alot] I have never had a cabin that smelled of smoke. I think it might have been worth a trial to offer a section of the ship [the most undesireable insides, outside and balconies] perhaps 20% of all categories rand make them smoking OPTIONAL. If a smoker wants a cabin and all the optionals are gone, then they can decide whether or not to cruise. The same thing with people wanting non-smoking. Give them the choice to do an optional cabin or not.

Says who? It's smoking in the cabins that they've changed the rules on. :confused:

I did briefly start talking about the smoke stack / pool deck thing that one poster cited as a reason why we shouldn't worry about cigarette smoke. But the discussion is really about the change in smoking in cabins.

With a debate there must be pros and cons. What would be some "pros" of smoking?? I know alot of this has to do with the "rights" of smokers but what about the "rights" of non-smokers? It goes both ways. Let's hear some "pros" so the non-smokers can be convinced that there should be smoking in the rooms. (I have to be crazy for writing this):eek:

I may be mistaken, but I think the reason even long-time non-smoking cruisers don't noticed the smell of smoke in their cabins is because cruise lines use electronic ionizers such as the LakeAir air cleaner (Google it to find out more) to sanitize a cabin that has an "objectionable" odor such as smoke or sewage.

Commercial-grade ionizers "remove up to 99.97% of all airborne allergens and pollutants such as pollen, dust mites, bacteria, pet dander, mold spores, smoke, and even some viruses " from the air we breathe. The units are used to effectively remove tobacco smoke and other smoke particles from the air .Ionic air cleaners filter dust and lint from the air and help reduce the cleaning process while also protecting valuable furnishings and costly electronic equipment such as computers, TVs, VCRs and stereos."

On a past cruise, I went past a cabin where an attendant was plugging in an "air cleaner" to "get rid of an odor" that was objectionable to the people booked in the cabin. The occupants later werea able to return to their cabin so either the air cleaner worked or their noses didn't.

Cindy

The Problem With The Smoking Ban Is That It's Not Just Second Hand Smoke That Will Hurt You Why Pick This One Battle?

The problem with that statement is that it's just poor logic. I'm amazed at how many times I've seen that same argument used, though. Smoking is not the only thing that is bad for you, or there are worse things than secondhand smoke, so why should anything be done about it?

First of all, it's not the only thing that anyone does anything about. Many people cite factory pollution, but there is ever-increasing pressure on manufacturing operations to reduce pollution. Smoking restrictions enacted in recent years have done wonders for relieving some of the unwanted exposure that non-smokers are subjected to. And the best part is that it's easy to do and doesn't cost a lot of money. And it's usually, at most, a minor inconvenience to those who do smoke.

BTW, I'm not one who is sensitive to perfumes, but if they need to be restricted to avoid causing problems for others, that's OK with me, too.

With a debate there must be pros and cons. What would be some "pros" of smoking?? I know alot of this has to do with the "rights" of smokers but what about the "rights" of non-smokers? It goes both ways. Let's hear some "pros" so the non-smokers can be convinced that there should be smoking in the rooms. (I have to be crazy for writing this):eek:

The debate is unproductive. Smoking is currently permitted in certain limited areas on RC cruise ships. People with extreme aversions to smoke need to plan accordingly. Period.

The debate is unproductive. Smoking is currently permitted in certain limited areas on RC cruise ships. People with extreme aversions to smoke need to plan accordingly. Period.

Well said, Terri! That goes for smokers as well.

That's true. And likewise, people who smoke need to plan accordingly to follow the established rules. After January 1, 2008 that means no smoking in cabins. If you find that you cannot travel without smoking inside your cabin (not including the balcony) then you should look for a different cruise line. There are still several that permit smoking in staterooms including the entire Carnival and subsidiary fleet. There are valid reasons for not smoking in the cabins, namely that no matter how much glycolizing agent (e.g. Ozium) or ionization that is done, tar buildup on porous surfaces and smoke allergens will remain in the cabin and may require cleaning so that future passengers can use the cabin. If that happens, then passengers responsible for the cleaning, will be charged.

As a non-smoker married to an allergic passenger, we will make sure that we avoid the designated smoking areas or make allowances. We also expect that smokers will make their allowances and only smoke where designated to smoke. However, we should have the luxury of choosing a product that fits our requirements just as smokers have the luxury of choosing a product that fits theirs. It's a free market system. If you choose to sail with RCI, then you should abide by RCI's rules. What's so hard about that?

Says who? It's smoking in the cabins that they've changed the rules on. :confused:

I did briefly start talking about the smoke stack / pool deck thing that one poster cited as a reason why we shouldn't worry about cigarette smoke. But the discussion is really about the change in smoking in cabins.

I'm quite aware of the larger discussion, however, every reply I made to you related to your statement that the smokestack issue was a red herring. And as far as I could tell, every reply you made to me - until this one - also related to that specific topic.

I'm quite aware of the larger discussion, however, every reply I made to you related to your statement that the smokestack issue was a red herring. And as far as I could tell, every reply you made to me - until this one - also related to that specific topic.

:rolleyes: But that's a part of the reason it's a red herring, because it has nothing to do with whether or not smoking should be allowed in the staterooms. I still say that I've never been gassed by the ship's fumes, while hanging out on the pool deck, either, but I will concede that it is not impossible. So you win, OK?

That's true. And likewise, people who smoke need to plan accordingly to follow the established rules. After January 1, 2008 that means no smoking in cabins. If you find that you cannot travel without smoking inside your cabin (not including the balcony) then you should look for a different cruise line. There are still several that permit smoking in staterooms including the entire Carnival and subsidiary fleet. There are valid reasons for not smoking in the cabins, namely that no matter how much glycolizing agent (e.g. Ozium) or ionization that is done, tar buildup on porous surfaces and smoke allergens will remain in the cabin and may require cleaning so that future passengers can use the cabin. If that happens, then passengers responsible for the cleaning, will be charged.

As a non-smoker married to an allergic passenger, we will make sure that we avoid the designated smoking areas or make allowances. We also expect that smokers will make their allowances and only smoke where designated to smoke. However, we should have the luxury of choosing a product that fits our requirements just as smokers have the luxury of choosing a product that fits theirs. It's a free market system. If you choose to sail with RCI, then you should abide by RCI's rules. What's so hard about that?

I completely agree w/ you and OCGFreddie that smokers and non-smokers alike must simply consider the current policy and plan accordingly...even if that means choosing other cruise or vacation options. Continuing to beat the dead RC horse will not enhance anyone's vacation!! ;) LOL I guess it will raise the post count of a few prolific posters :D

Now much of a change in my eyes - we're just back from the Navigator and we asked which bar was non-smoking - we were told the windjammer !!!

RCCL do the right thing and ban it from all venues onboard the ship - except outer decks !!!

jj....

:rolleyes: But that's a part of the reason it's a red herring, because it has nothing to do with whether or not smoking should be allowed in the staterooms. I still say that I've never been gassed by the ship's fumes, while hanging out on the pool deck, either, but I will concede that it is not impossible. So you win, OK?
Do I get a prize? :D Free cruise would be nice.

Now much of a change in my eyes - we're just back from the Navigator and we asked which bar was non-smoking - we were told the windjammer !!!

RCCL do the right thing and ban it from all venues onboard the ship - except outer decks !!!

jj....

Did you note that the effective date of the new policy is January 1, 2008?

This and every other thread about smoking should be locked. I fail to see the reason for letting adults (presumably) bash each other senseless over a subject that they have limited control over. There will be a change in the smoking policy by the cruise line and thats that. Spare all the statistics,studies, and personal tragedies. They are to some extent, irrelevant. The relevant thing is, we all will have to adjust to the new rules or go somewhere else. This subject has become so hostile that I alomost feel that abortion, religion, and politics are safer topics on these boards.. Its like both sides are waiting to read the next post to see if its for their side, or should they attack it. I think this is a reasonable compromise to the situation and both sides should cool off a bit.

Come ON. The Mariner of the Seas has as non smoking: Dragon's Lair, Wine lounge, Bolero's (deck 5) lounge, Schooner bar, Solarium bar, and Viking lounge.

The LOWER floor of Bolero's allows smoking, along with one tiny lounge on the Prominade.

So am I to assume they are now going to open all the NON smoking lounges to smokers, with the exception of one?

One week aboard the Navigator and you never found a non smoking bar?

Puleeze.

Coy860

I was on the Navigator with Coxswain and thinking about it, he is right. There were smoking tables in the Schooner bar, boleros, the champagne bar, cosmopolitan Lounge, 19th Hole, two poets etc. In fact every bar I went in onboard had a smoking section. Perhaps because I am a smoker, I didnt look too hard for a non smoking bar anyway but other than the Windjammer Bar, I truly cant say I saw one :eek:

Chubbas XX

May I suggest to get the PEACE pipe out!!

The comments on this thread have gotten to the point , that the non smokers feel contaminated and Doomed by cigarette or cigar smoke. The smokers can't or don't want to quit. The new policy that will be enforced is not going to change smoke on a cruiseship by much. The same pax on the cruise will have the balcony smoke that the non-smokers complain about, if they still opt for a balcony cabin. The cabins that the smokers will not be allowed to smoke in, are not the same cabins the non-smokers are in on your cruise (since it is your cabin for the current cruise) so by eliminating smoking in the cabins, may give the non-smokers a cleaner cabin, when they cruise, the balcony smoke doesn't go up in air, it just lays and drifts next door to the non smokers cabin, the smoke stack on the pool deck sends that diesel exhaust high up into the sky (even though the smoke on balconies doesn't move , except to the next balcony), people die of lung cancer and never smoked, but were exposed to second hand smoke... and it goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever wonder if out of all the cruises you took, if a pax had TB, or Aids, or some other type of desease that could be transmitted? No one has to get a physical to cruise, and people come from all over the world. Think about it. This smoking issue is taking up some much time for people to throw stones and you won't be able to change a thing about the new policy, whether a smoker or non-smoker. I am looking forward to my next cruise, whether it be with smokers, alcoholics, druggies, teens, babies, or whatever, I go to get away and enjoy my vacation and if I find something that I am bothered by, I move to another spot. The ships are very big and there is a lot of open space to find the right spot for EVERYONE!

This and every other thread about smoking should be locked. I fail to see the reason for letting adults (presumably) bash each other senseless over a subject that they have limited control over. There will be a change in the smoking policy by the cruise line and thats that. Spare all the statistics,studies, and personal tragedies. They are to some extent, irrelevant. The relevant thing is, we all will have to adjust to the new rules or go somewhere else. This subject has become so hostile that I alomost feel that abortion, religion, and politics are safer topics on these boards.. Its like both sides are waiting to read the next post to see if its for their side, or should they attack it. I think this is a reasonable compromise to the situation and both sides should cool off a bit.

Amen...........well said!!

Come ON. The Mariner of the Seas has as non smoking: Dragon's Lair, Wine lounge, Bolero's (deck 5) lounge, Schooner bar, Solarium bar, and Viking lounge.

The LOWER floor of Bolero's allows smoking, along with one tiny lounge on the Prominade.

So am I to assume they are now going to open all the NON smoking lounges to smokers, with the exception of one?

One week aboard the Navigator and you never found a non smoking bar?

Puleeze.

You must have sailed on a different Mariner than I did because smoking was allowed in those venues. Boleros is on two decks? I only remember deck 4 but maybe it has changed since June.:rolleyes:

May I suggest to get the PEACE pipe out!!

The comments on this thread have gotten to the point , that the non smokers feel contaminated and Doomed by cigarette or cigar smoke. The smokers can't or don't want to quit. The new policy that will be enforced is not going to change smoke on a cruiseship by much. The same pax on the cruise will have the balcony smoke that the non-smokers complain about, if they still opt for a balcony cabin. The cabins that the smokers will not be allowed to smoke in, are not the same cabins the non-smokers are in on your cruise (since it is your cabin for the current cruise) so by eliminating smoking in the cabins, may give the non-smokers a cleaner cabin, when they cruise, the balcony smoke doesn't go up in air, it just lays and drifts next door to the non smokers cabin, the smoke stack on the pool deck sends that diesel exhaust high up into the sky (even though the smoke on balconies doesn't move , except to the next balcony), people die of lung cancer and never smoked, but were exposed to second hand smoke... and it goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever wonder if out of all the cruises you took, if a pax had TB, or Aids, or some other type of desease that could be transmitted? No one has to get a physical to cruise, and people come from all over the world. Think about it. This smoking issue is taking up some much time for people to throw stones and you won't be able to change a thing about the new policy, whether a smoker or non-smoker. I am looking forward to my next cruise, whether it be with smokers, alcoholics, druggies, teens, babies, or whatever, I go to get away and enjoy my vacation and if I find something that I am bothered by, I move to another spot. The ships are very big and there is a lot of open space to find the right spot for EVERYONE!

LOL I can't believe you suggested SMOKING a PEACE PIPE on this thread. ROTFLMAO!! :D

On the Navigator, I went to the designated smoking area on deck 11 and asked an elderly lady who was sitting at the table If she would mind If I joined her. She said no and I offered her one of my cigarettes. She said, oh no thank you dear, I dont smoke.

So I had a bit of a dilemma, to light up or not to light up :(, of course I didnt . After a couple of minutes she said, aren't you going to have a cigarette? I said no, it wouldnt be fair on you.....Bless her she said, I sit here because you smokers are the friendly bunch onboard, you sit and have a smoke and a chat with strangers and always have a kind word for a little old lady. I told her it cant be nice sitting here amongst the cigarette smoke though and she said, better here than with my miserable son and his grumpy wife ...bless her, not really relevant but she did make me smile :)

Chubbas XX

On the Navigator, I went to the designated smoking area on deck 11 and asked an elderly lady who was sitting at the table If she would mind If I joined her. She said no and I offered her one of my cigarettes. She said, oh no thank you dear, I dont smoke.

So I had a bit of a dilemma, to light up or not to light up :(, of course I didnt . After a couple of minutes she said, aren't you going to have a cigarette? I said no, it wouldnt be fair on you.....Bless her she said, I sit here because you smokers are the friendly bunch onboard, you sit and have a smoke and a chat with strangers and always have a kind word for a little old lady. I told her it cant be nice sitting here amongst the cigarette smoke though and she said, better here than with my miserable son and his grumpy wife ...bless her, not really relevant but she did make me smile :)

Chubbas XX

ROFLOL!!! I love it!!

Archived