St.lucia Vendors

KEITJE

Pushy vendors can be common in the Caribbean. We booked a private tour....which took us all over the island of St. Lucia...its a great island....totally something to see. However, our Lucian Tour Guides warned us...just before we made our first scenic tour stop...and they said, "When we stop here...you will be approached by the vendors...buy something if you'd like...or politely decline...and there should be no problems." We Politely declined...had to a couple of times...but really...it wasn't any worse than I've seen at other places. Just look, if you like something and want to buy it...go ahead...if NOT, just tell them No Thank You...and walk away.

It's their culture to barter and you just have to learn how to do it. Running away isn't going to stop them, they think it's fun.

Doesn't anyone ever read up on where their cruising to and find out what to expect and how to deal with it. Or do most people just go along blindly thinking it's going to be just like home but warmer.

Just look, if you like something and want to buy it...go ahead...if NOT, just tell them No Thank You...and walk away.

I agree!!!! "No thank-you" goes a long way. And as for St. Lucia, it's gorgeous!! Go and enjoy!!!:)

We had no problems with the vendors. We did an excursion with the ship...hiked up a mountain...swam in a mineral hot spring and had a nice lunch before the bus took us back to the ship....glad I wasn't driving...those roads are something else!

I doubt it, they still go to Jamacia and a tour group got held up there. We enjoyed our tour on St. Lucia, it is a beautiful island, and the vendors are not as bad as Mexico or Jamaica. imho.:) Bill

Doesn't anyone ever read up on where their cruising to and find out what to expect and how to deal with it. Or do most people just go along blindly thinking it's going to be just like home but warmer.

Actually, I thought that was exactly what the OP was doing here.

;)

At many of the popular tourist stops in St. Lucia, you will see one or two persons dressed in blue shirts amongst the vendors. They are referred to as the "blue rangers" or the "beach rangers", and it is their job to keep over-zealous vendors from harassing tourists. If you see them amongst the vendors, I doubt that you will be harassed. Even when no blue rangers are present, a "no, thank you" in response to the first overture and a complete disregard for the second overture will usually suffice, unless, of course, you are some apparently single babe who represents a potential ticket off the island. ;)

We were there in January we had no problems at all we booked a tour at port had a great time vendors were not as pushy as other places we visited (Ocho Rios for one). The roads are a real trip :eek: don't think I would rent a car there. But I would go back in a heart beat.

I must agree with the majority of post.... When there in May we were on a tour that stopped at many sites where vendors were present... If we saw something we liked we ask a price, if not, we just moved along.

Just as long as your not holding the 6 foot boa constrictor I would say that the vendors aren't any worse than other Caribbean islands..... Oh, if you are holding the 6 foot boa, pay the man whatever he ask to take it back...:eek: ...:D

My husband and I went to St.Lucia for our honeymoon, 20 years ago. We took a trip to the Pitons on a schooner, used in the filming of "Roots". As we came into port the children and young adults were climbing up the side of the schooner, asking for money, etc. People were throwing quarters in the water and the kids would come up with their cheeks full of coins. I took a few pictures with a Polaroid camera. Some of these kids were so poor they never saw themselves in a mirror and loved the picture of themselves, which we gave to them. ;) At that time if you wanted to bargain, they liked Levi jeans and Playboy magazines.

Our experience was that St. Lucia was one of the least pushy when it comes to vendors selling their wares. The places we stopped by when on Cosol's tour were pretty low key when it came to selling, and we went to the large market down from the port where there are literally hundreds of vendors. We enjoyed bartering with them and trying to get the best places. St. Lucia is one of my favorite islands for souvenier shopping!

Archived