RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

YES!!!! I am already doing it and plan to do it as long as I am able.

I started out by walking. The, I progressed to running/walking. I do that 3-4x a week. I lift weights 2-3 times per week, and I take long walks w/ my wife 2-3 times per week. I also work on stationary bike or an eliptical machine at a gym 2-3 times per week. I average over an hour of exercise per day and I have fully integrated it into my lifestyle to the point where I miss it when I don't do it.

Wish I could get to this stage, how long did it take you to get there??

I am such a couch potato and know I need to do it just hate it:eek: :eek:

Wish I could get to this stage, how long did it take you to get there??

I am such a couch potato and know I need to do it just hate it:eek: :eek:

I started by taking a walk during my lunch hour this past April. Started out w/ slow strolls of just over 30 minutes and gradually worked up doing closer to an hour at a more brisk pace. I also started doing long walks with my wife in the evening (30-60 mins) and very long walks (2 hours or more) during the weekend. We like to walk into town for breakfast or to run light errands.

We belong to a gym that my wife had been going to. I started accompanying her 2-3 times per week and added some aerobic work. First, brisk walk on a treadmill. Eventually moving to an elliptical trainer, with gradually increasing intensity.

Around May, I decided to give running a try. During the walks, I would run for a little bit. Not long, maybe 20-30 seconds to start. Then, I would slow down to a brisk walk. Over time, the frequency and length of the running segments would increase to the point where I was running for a full minute.

A few weeks ago, I started the Couch to 5k running plan; you'll see links to it on the "Log Your Exercise Progress Here" thread. I am currently doing week 3 of that. This program combines running and walking until you get to the point where you are running for 30 minutes straight, or about 3 miles or 5 kilometers.

I think the key to this is to get started. Once you are doing it for a while, it becomes a habit, and you don't feel right when you don't do it. And, that is a very good feeling to have. I am less winded now running for a minute than I was walking up a flight of stairs less than 5 months ago.

My goal for August is to fit into a dress that i bought that is a size smaller than what fit me at the time. I bought it about 1 month ago. 2 more weeks i will try it on and see.:)

My goal is to walk 8000 or more steps a day, July I wore my pedometer nearly everyday and walked a total of 183000 steps so this month I want to wear it daily and do 300,000 steps:D :D

Guess I will need to use that expensive treadmill I have in my room to meet this goal:D :rolleyes:

I started by taking a walk during my lunch hour this past April. Started out w/ slow strolls of just over 30 minutes and gradually worked up doing closer to an hour at a more brisk pace. I also started doing long walks with my wife in the evening (30-60 mins) and very long walks (2 hours or more) during the weekend. We like to walk into town for breakfast or to run light errands.

We belong to a gym that my wife had been going to. I started accompanying her 2-3 times per week and added some aerobic work. First, brisk walk on a treadmill. Eventually moving to an elliptical trainer, with gradually increasing intensity.

Around May, I decided to give running a try. During the walks, I would run for a little bit. Not long, maybe 20-30 seconds to start. Then, I would slow down to a brisk walk. Over time, the frequency and length of the running segments would increase to the point where I was running for a full minute.

A few weeks ago, I started the Couch to 5k running plan; you'll see links to it on the "Log Your Exercise Progress Here" thread. I am currently doing week 3 of that. This program combines running and walking until you get to the point where you are running for 30 minutes straight, or about 3 miles or 5 kilometers.

I think the key to this is to get started. Once you are doing it for a while, it becomes a habit, and you don't feel right when you don't do it. And, that is a very good feeling to have. I am less winded now running for a minute than I was walking up a flight of stairs less than 5 months ago.

I was playing tennis on the wii with DS last night and was panting after a couple of games and hadn't even left the living room - sad but true!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

RB, I have been looking for the "Couch to 5k running plan" but can't find the link over on the "Log Your Exercise Progress Here" thread. Am I brain dead?? Can you tell me where it is.

Thanks,

Dianne

BTW a 7.5 mile walk with your wife, awesome! You do inspire me.

I was playing tennis on the wii with DS last night and was panting after a couple of games and hadn't even left the living room - sad but true!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

ROTFLMAO!!!!:D :D Juila you're too much!

When my daughters and I started this week we set several goals, some of them were really simple like, keep food journal, record points, take vitamin, some are a little harder, exercise, stay within point range;) . We give ourselves a point for each goal we attain every day, and then we set up some rewards for ourselves along the way. Pedicures, special treat, whatever, but we tried to make it non-food related-- otherwise we'd undo all of the good we had accomplished:( . I tried to make it positive and achievable, we also get a point for each pound lost, but I didn't want to make it strictly weight oriented. I wanted us to be able to see our progress and feel good about what we were doing whether we were actually losing weight or not. Hopefully we will though:D . Our big goal is to lose 20 pounds each by our cruise in December.

Beth

When my daughters and I started this week we set several goals, some of them were really simple like, keep food journal, record points, take vitamin, some are a little harder, exercise, stay within point range;) . We give ourselves a point for each goal we attain every day, and then we set up some rewards for ourselves along the way. Pedicures, special treat, whatever, but we tried to make it non-food related-- otherwise we'd undo all of the good we had accomplished:( . I tried to make it positive and achievable, we also get a point for each pound lost, but I didn't want to make it strictly weight oriented. I wanted us to be able to see our progress and feel good about what we were doing whether we were actually losing weight or not. Hopefully we will though:D . Our big goal is to lose 20 pounds each by our cruise in December.

Beth

That's a great idea, I have a pandora bracelet and buy myself a bead for each 10lbs I loose, I'm closing in on my third with 2 more after that - hopefully I won't have to return them to the store after my next cruise:D :D

RB, I have been looking for the "Couch to 5k running plan" but can't find the link over on the "Log Your Exercise Progress Here" thread. Am I brain dead?? Can you tell me where it is.

Thanks,

Dianne

BTW a 7.5 mile walk with your wife, awesome! You do inspire me.

Must have posted it somewhere else - here you go!

RB where do you live cause I'm sure I would be mugged if I walked that here in Atlanta:D :D

I work 8 miles from work, maybe I should start walking here - I should be recoved by the time it's hometime:D :eek:

16 mile walking commute would be quite a lot - particularly in the summer, GA heat!

I live in a suburb of Hartford, CT - lots of sidewalks and country roads! It is about an hour walk into town, and we do that pretty much every weekend.

Last July 4, I set a goal to earn at least 30 activity points/week every week until Labor Day. Do far, so good (I'm averaging about 34 and have hit the minimum every week).

RB, your system must be very different to ours in the UK. We can only 'earn' a maximum of 3 Activity points per day and only 'eat' 12 of them per week.

BTW can anyone tell me what WOE stands for.

Cinnamon

On the Ten Percent Board, we were discussing tricks to avoid going completely overboard when attending a big event such as a wedding.

I have handled a few events of that nature with success lately. Here are a couple of things that have worked:

1. have minimized the number of points prior to the event. We all know of low-point options that will fill us up and help us meet our nutritional needs.

2. I have been sure to exercise - earn those AP points so that I have more to go.

3. Reduce the weekly points in the days before and after the event - have them available at that time.

4. Make an alcohol plan before you go and stick with it. For example, I might decide that I'm going to have 2 glasses of wine or 1 cocktail (not a fruity, sugary one). For the rest of the night, stick w/ club soda and lime, which gives you something to hold on to and to sip slowly.

5. Portion control. This is critical, because you may have very little control over what food is available. Of course, if there are healthier choices available, pick those. And, don't be afraid to be an advocate for yourself - if the chicken can be served without the sauce, ask the server if it is a sit-down affair.

6. Dance the night away - when you're dancing, you aren't eating or drinking - and you're burning off some of those excess calories.

7. HAVE FUN!!! The main attraction is not the food and drink, but the people and the occasion. Don't lose sight of that.

8. If you are tempted, ask yourself what will make you feel better in the days ahead - staying on program despite the challenge or eating something that you shouldn't. Stick to your plan!

What do you think?

Onward and downward!

Here's one I forgot:

9. Eat something immediately before the event. I'll bring a lunch box w/a cool pack and put in fruit, yogurt, low fat cheese, etc., if I know that there is very little that I am going to be able to eat. If you aren't as hungry, you are less likely to go overboard.

<DIV>How come when you mix water and flour together

you get glue?..image001.jpg?msgvw=AFcAGAAIAAYACgAUAAMAJwAHAAAAYAB0ABEAIgAiAA8AZAAFAE4AXgB%%2bACMAJAABAHUAVgA9AAgACgA%%2bABUAZw

and

then you add eggsimage002.jpg?msgvw=AHcALQB%%2fAAYABAAgAD0AJQBSAHMAcQAAACQALgANACIAZQB5AA8ADgBUAD8AfgAEAAwAZgAvAHIANAANAHwAaw

and sugar...

and you get cake?

image003.jpg?msgvw=AEkAcQAiADMAHQA%%2bAAEAegBCAFEAVQBxABEACgAzABcAQgBZAEsAQwBQACkAPgB2AHIAcAAGABUAHwAoAHwARQ

Where did the glue go ?

NEED AN ANSWER?

You know darned well where it went!

It's what makes the cake

Stick to your BUTT

image004.gif?msgvw=ADkAPgANADcAJAAeABkAJQBQAHAABwAPAHAAJAAQABcAVgBEAHUAVABgACoANAAEAE0ABwAnAC8AegA4ACwAbw

Now that you've smiled at least once, it's your turn to spread the stupidity and send this to someone you want to bring a smile to (maybe even a chuckle). We all need a good laugh, keep on smiling.

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">

Thanks for the giggle, itdjbw.

And thanks Dianne for the explanation of WOE and WOEX.

RB, I love the list but how do you overcome the thoughts of how lovely it is to have someone else catering for you? That is my downfall. The little voice that says, 'go on, enjoy yourself, you deserve it!' I know that voice is the Diet Devil, but I can't help listening.

2 hours to my WW weigh-in. After the weekend binge I have been back on track, but is it enough???????????

Watch this space.

Cinnamon

Thanks for the giggle, itdjbw.

And thanks Dianne for the explanation of WOE and WOEX.

RB, I love the list but how do you overcome the thoughts of how lovely it is to have someone else catering for you? That is my downfall. The little voice that says, 'go on, enjoy yourself, you deserve it!' I know that voice is the Diet Devil, but I can't help listening.

2 hours to my WW weigh-in. After the weekend binge I have been back on track, but is it enough???????????

Watch this space.

Cinnamon

Good morning Cinnamon or good evening!!

I have to admit that weekends are my downfall! It's really easy to stay on track when during the week I'm at the office. I use the stairs instead of the elevator, go to the gym after work and for the most part count my points diligently but when the weekend comes and I'm at home....well that's a different story!

BTW...my DD and SIL live in South Cerney and we will be visiting over the pond this Christmas.

Maureen

Cinnamon - we recently hosted a big event - just this past May. We had family in from out of town, all of our friends, etc. The weekend ended w/ a dinner that was hosted by my parents at a restaurant. We had a limited menu to chose from, and dessert was included.

My sister in law, who sat at our table, told me that I certainly "deserved" it after the whole weekend (all of which, BTW, I had managed to stay on program). I smiled and said that I didn't feel that I needed it and that I would be more than satisfied with a bite of DW's.

During the course of the weekend, I got through dinner at a restaurant (which I survived by making a special request of the server to not flash fry my fish), a catered luncheon (which I survived by being selective about what I ate and portion control on some higher calories foods), dinner at a hotel (just wraps w/ fruit salad and regular salad - that one was easy), a catered brunch (this one was tough - had to eat beforehand and sneak food during), the aforementioned dinner, and finally a breakfast buffet. I got through on program and was rewarded with a 4 lb loss that week. That was the week that I became confident that I was going to go all the way.

Life is a never ending string of challenges like this. They aren't going to stop. Success requires that you adapt a lifestyle that allows you to cope with them and not give in completely.

I'm also reminded of the National Weight Control Registry study, which found that those successful at losing and maintaining at the same way during weekends and holidays as they did during the week.

I'm not saying never to give in - just to do it only occasionally and not to give in all the way.

BTW...my DD and SIL live in South Cerney and we will be visiting over the pond this Christmas.

Maureen, how strange. My older son lives in Calgary. We spent a few days in BC in June after our Alaska cruise before travelling on to Alberta. Am I right in thinking Castlegar is in the south, halfway between AB and the coast?

South Cerney? Is that is Gloucestershire? If so, how have they been in the terrible floods?

Anyway, the WI was OK. I lost 1.5lbs this week. I am quite happy with that, given the Saturday binge. I think it did me a favour in a way as it was a wake-up call to not getting complacent.

Maureen, how strange. My older son lives in Calgary. We spent a few days in BC in June after our Alaska cruise before travelling on to Alberta. Am I right in thinking Castlegar is in the south, halfway between AB and the coast?

South Cerney? Is that is Gloucestershire? If so, how have they been in the terrible floods?

Anyway, the WI was OK. I lost 1.5lbs this week. I am quite happy with that, given the Saturday binge. I think it did me a favour in a way as it was a wake-up call to not getting complacent.

Cinnamon, this is stranger still! My DD lived in Calgary for 7 years before meeting a fine young British soldier stationed at CFB Suffield just outside of Calgary. After marrying 2 years ago they moved to South Cerney and now live on the Army Base there. Yes, South Cerney is considered part of Gloucestershire and very near Cirencester. They live about 35 miles from the most sever flooding which I hear was in Tewksbury (sp?).

Yes, Castlegar is in the southern interior half way btwn the coast and Alberta. We have had blazing hot weather all summer and now are plagued with forest fires, some of which have taken down the power in some of our smaller communities in our area.

I'm not saying never to give in - just to do it only occasionally and not to give in all the way.

Even when I have been bad I still journal and track the points and then move on........

Normally I try track my points before I put the food in my mouth and find this helps and also will try a taste of something and then leave it if I decide it's not worth the points whereas before I would eat it cause it is just so bad to waste food:eek: :eek:

Archived