RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Restaurants are DANGEROUS places. Added sugars and fats lurk in places where you might not expect. For example, did you know:

1. Restaurants frequently add fat to burgers to make them juicier

2. Many salads are among the most fattening options on a menu

3. Oil and butter is often added to excess. As an example, do you know what makes the fajita sizzle? They pour hot oil over it just before bringing it out. Steak houses usually pour melted butter over the steak.

On Friday, we chatted about speaking out and making special requests. Another tool is to do some advance research. Most chain restaurants provide nutrition info on their website. Checking before you go can help you make sensible choices or guide you in any special requests you might want to make. If the restaurant does not provide that information, that is a clue that they don't want the public to know. The Cheesecake Factory is a notorious example of a chain that does not provide its info on its website - and for good reason. I stay away from chains that don't provide NI.

Even local restaurants frequently have websites with their menus available. You can check it out in advance and think about what you might do. Or, call ahead before peak dining time to ask some questions or to see if a dish can be altered to make it more program friendly.

What do you think?

Onward & downward!

PS to Julia - I hope everything's ok - those trips are never fun.

How is your son? I do hope it was not too serious. Rushing to the ER sounds drastic.

Cinnamon

A couple of staples in his head (head wounds bleed so much) and he will be fine till next week when they have to remove them.

I hit my 27lb loss this morning so was happy about that

Plan on getting excersize in at least 4 days this week too.

1. Restaurants frequently add fat to burgers to make them juicier

2. Many salads are among the most fattening options on a menu

3. Oil and butter is often added to excess. As an example, do you know what makes the fajita sizzle? They pour hot oil over it just before bringing it out. Steak houses usually pour melted butter over the steak.

What do you think?

Onward & downward!

PS to Julia - I hope everything's ok - those trips are never fun.

That's what makes the food taste so good:eek: :eek: I minute on the lips and a lifetime on the hips:eek:

I research on Dotti's for restaurant info and points and find it really helpful.

It had never occured to me that added oil on the hot stone was what made the sizzle. We never eat in Mexican restaurants over here (there are not too many) but I have had that in the US. In future I will beware.

Co-incidentally, without having read this first, I cooked Fajitas tonight for dinner. ELF Minced beef with lots of red onion and peppers (bell) and a powdered Fajita spice mix. Served with a big salad it worked out at 8 points in our system. I enjoyed it a lot and it looked a big plateful. Followed it with quarter of melon for pud.

Well done on your loss so far itdjbw. 27lbs is great. That is almost 2 stone over here!!! Glad to hear that your son's injuries were not life threatening.

Cinnamon

We are now well into August, and summer weather will be behind us soon. Are you taking advantage of the extra hours of daylight and (for those of us in Northern climates) warm weather by getting extra exercising in? How much walking will you do between now and Labor Day?

Onward and downward!!

i will run 129 miles by labor day according to my marathon schedule. Did anyone watch FatMarch on monday night? I am a reality show junkie.:D They have to walk 500 miles in 10 weeks. So 50 miles a week, but the first week they did 65. They all lost large amounts of weight that first week. Although 1 goirl lost 4 pounds and was upset about it, she wanted to lose more. I wish they would have told her that 4 pounds is alot to lose in 1 week. I dont think i ever lost more than 4 since i started weight watchers.

i will run 129 miles by labor day according to my marathon schedule. Did anyone watch FatMarch on monday night? I am a reality show junkie.:D They have to walk 500 miles in 10 weeks. So 50 miles a week, but the first week they did 65. They all lost large amounts of weight that first week. Although 1 goirl lost 4 pounds and was upset about it, she wanted to lose more. I wish they would have told her that 4 pounds is alot to lose in 1 week. I dont think i ever lost more than 4 since i started weight watchers.

I watched that show!!! I too am a reality TV junkie...my favorite is the Amazing Race.

Anyway, that was pretty amazing to lose 4 pounds in a week! I would be thrilled. ;) I can understand being upset with everyone else losing 15-16 pounds though.

Looks like there will be a new season of the Biggest Loser this fall, with a new host, though.

I remember well the reaction that my kids had when I told them four months ago that I started WW. They each said, "Again?"

I also recall a comment by another skeptic. I was volunteering at a political event and joined some of the other volunteers at a bar when it was over. I stayed away from the awful bar appetizers that were ordered and broke out an apple that I had brought along. I also ordered a bowl of soup.

Someone commented about how healthy I was eating, and I responded that I had just started WW that week. The woman next to me said, "Oh, you're just starting. That's why you're being so good."

Well, that was 4 months ago, and I'm still being good!

Those comments really made me think about all of the times that I had started off strong only to revert to old ways after a month or so. This helped me to focus more on lifestyle change rather than relying upon willpower. And, every time I think back on it, it has helped to motivate me and remind me about what is different this time.

Anyone else able to draw strength from the comments of a skeptic?

Onward and downward!

This is going to be the last topic I post for a while - I'm leaving on a well-deserved vacation early tomorrow morning (timeshare, not a cruise :confused:) and do not expect to be spending much time on-line while I'm away.

Anyone else should feel free to bring up the WW (or any weight-loss related) topic of their choice.

Also, I haven't received much chatter back lately. I don't mind a soliloquy, because writing these topics every day is helpful to me in maintaining my WL focus. But, if this is helping others, I wouldn't mind hearing about it. :o And, I sure would love it if others chimed in as well.

This is going to be the last topic I post for a while - I'm leaving on a well-deserved vacation early tomorrow morning (timeshare, not a cruise :confused:) and do not expect to be spending much time on-line while I'm away.

Anyone else should feel free to bring up the WW (or any weight-loss related) topic of their choice.

Also, I haven't received much chatter back lately. I don't mind a soliloquy, because writing these topics every day is helpful to me in maintaining my WL focus. But, if this is helping others, I wouldn't mind hearing about it. :o And, I sure would love it if others chimed in as well.

Hope you enjoy your TS vacation, we love ours and use them often, DB left today to use one of ours so hope you all have a goood time.

I enjoy reading your topics everyday and even look forward to seeing what you so elegantly write.

When I started WW in March I told very few people unless thay asked what I was doing to loose the weight because of the sceptics, everyone has their own take on WW wether that have been there done that or just tried something else.

I always get fired up when i hear skeptitism about my diet or working out. When I started WW 2 years ago one of my friends said oh it doesnt work. Yes she had tried it but was nit really seriouse about it. She did not lose weight I wonder why.;) Anyways i had to show her and i did. My grandfather recently made a comment to me about not completing my marathon, well that added fuel to my fire, i will finish it just to make a point to him. It motivates me.

I was browsing around CC and came across this forum, just in time before I head out for my cruise on 8/19!! I am just finishing up my 12th week of WW. I was originally hoping to get to 10% before the cruise, but I'm about 6lbs away. Even if I don't get there, I'm not going to be too stressed, because I have been doing well so far. I plan to enjoy myself on my cruise, but not go overboard, and will also bring sneakers and workout clothes to do a 1-hour walk at least once daily. My goal is to make it all the way to the top of the rock wall this time. I made it halfway last year, so to go all the way to the top will be a big accomplishment for me. I'm also booking a snorkeling excursion for DD and me - we have never done it before, so it should be alot of fun.

Best wishes to you all.

I thought we could keep this thread going. So the weekend is here. I always have a hard time on the weekends. What do you do to stay on track through the weekend?

Most weekends I am fine and just try pre-plan what I am going to eat around our schedule the day before so at least have an idea. I actually write it in my journal and then check it off as I have it or change it but find that having it written down and not just in my head helps.

I was browsing around CC and came across this forum, just in time before I head out for my cruise on 8/19!! I am just finishing up my 12th week of WW. I was originally hoping to get to 10% before the cruise, but I'm about 6lbs away. Even if I don't get there, I'm not going to be too stressed, because I have been doing well so far. I plan to enjoy myself on my cruise, but not go overboard, and will also bring sneakers and workout clothes to do a 1-hour walk at least once daily. My goal is to make it all the way to the top of the rock wall this time. I made it halfway last year, so to go all the way to the top will be a big accomplishment for me. I'm also booking a snorkeling excursion for DD and me - we have never done it before, so it should be alot of fun.

Best wishes to you all.

Sounds like you are doing great and glad you found us here before your cruise:D You seem like you have a plan and I am planning on doing the same thing for mine, going to enjoy it and do the additional excersize till I get back (:mad: for the coming back part)

I thought we could keep this thread going. So the weekend is here. I always have a hard time on the weekends. What do you do to stay on track through the weekend?

Hooray for the weekend!!! :D

I find that on weekends I actually have soo much more time to work out that it really helps. Yardwork, riding my bike, etc.

If I work out a lot I feel less guilty if I slip up a little.

I also have more time to cook and prepare healthy new recipes.

The downfall is the socializing, BBQ's, going out to dinner, etc. I just try to make the best choices I can, and not worry about it too much.

Kichan, welcome and have fun on your cruise! Check out the 10% board too.

Weekends are hard for me too. I tend to save my flex points and use them all on Friday, so I kind of have a "free" day and can eat pretty much whatever I want. The problem is that free Friday turns into a free weekend :o . Last weekend I did really well, I got right back on track on Saturday. I think it helps to stay busy, the more I just sit around the house, the more I want to graze...

Beth

We are missing RB!

As this is supposed to be daily chat, I thought I had better post.

Had a good day again, ate all my points and that included Roast Beef, Dry roast potatoes, lots of veg, gravy and a bought Yorkshire Pudding (because they are only half a point each)

Had homemade Classic Summer pudding with 0% Greek yogurt for dessert. As friend came over for lunch we had 'Sunday Roast' a day early.

Cinnamon

Archived