How challenging is it to walk around Herculaneum?

Does anyone know how difficult an excursion to Herculaneum would be for an older woman? In other words, how knobbly, loose or uneven are the streets? Are there places for her to take a break if she needs to? How understanding are the guides from the cruise line?

My mother and I are going on a Mediterranean cruise this fall and Herculaneum is the site that she most wants to see. When she heard the description in the Shore Excursions packet from RCCL though, she began to think twice about it. They have listed it as "Strenuous", the most difficult ranking, but then it seems as if all of their excursions in Italy are listed that way. Are these "most active" tours really only for people in "excellent health". Is there any way we can find out what it would really be like? My mother is 73 and walks with no problem on regular flat surfaces. Her issue is more with uneven surfaces. When she feels unsteady, she slows way down and may have difficulty keeping up with a speedy guide.

Hi Megedy, We went to Herculaneum in June with a group from CC. Everywhere in Italy is uneven paths, cobblestones, I don't think it is an worse in Herculaneum. At the entrance they give you a book and a map, everything is well marked and easy to do on your own at your own pace. We enjoyed it much better then Pompeii, loved all the mosaics and frescoes, and it would be ashame for you Mum to miss it, if that is what she really wants to see. I think they use the word 'Strenuous" because it is a lot of walking, the only thing we did that I would really apply the word 'strenuous' to was climbing Mt Vesuvius, that was hard work. I tried to attach some photos, but they wouldn't go through, if you would like to see some photos of the paths, email me at maylee285@yahoo.com.au.

My wife and I visited Herculaneum several years ago when we did a Princess cruise in the Med. We had visited Pompeii first and then went to Herculaneum. Several comments, one Herculaneum is situated in what looks like a quarry and because of that it doesn't get any breeze so it can get very hot (we were there in July) so be sure to take or purchase plenty of water. There is a long walkway that goes along the one edge of the excavation and once you reach the bottom you then cross a bridge into the ruins. The walkways in the ruins were not terrible and your mother should do fine as long as you aren't on a tight schedule. There are places where you can sit down (some may be old walls but you can still sit there and no one seems to mind). There is a lower level that goes down to one of the city's baths and it requires walking down down some steps and then a path and then walking back up. My wife elected to wait for me to go and come back. The walk back out is mostly uphill but there are many shaded benches overlooking the ruins.

I would say that you and your mother should do fine as long as you pace yourself and you give yourself plenty of time. I would suggest looking into either getting a private guide and tour (you can try to find others to share the price on your rollcall which is what we did). If this is to be the highlight of your mother's visit then even getting a private driver for the two of you might be worth it.

If you have any additional questions about our experiences on our Med cruise feel free to ask them and I will try to answer them.

Have a great next cruise.

We were in Herculaeum last October. There is a long walk down from the entrance (and uphill coming back!). When we visited there was no cafe down in the ruins, and nowhere to sit other than on walls and kerbs. However it is fairly compact, and one hour would probably be more than enough to see the main sights.

May I suggest that your mother brings a collapsible walking stick to give a bit of stability on uneven sections and to lean on for a rest.

Paul S

Andy,

I understand that there was a cafe and visitor centre down amongst the ruins. However, we were informed that it had been shut and was not in use, although it may have since reopened.

When we visited takeaway drinks were available from a kiosk by the top of the ramp.

Paul S

We were there in June, and I don't remember seeing a cafe, but I may have missed it. The streets are cobblestone but flat once you enter the site. As others have mentioned, it is a gradual inclined walk down to the ticket booth and then back up. There are stone benches attached to many of the houses, where the slaves sat to guard the front door of the house. You can easily sit and rest on any of them. You do have to step up from the street to get into each house.

We rented the audio guides, and they are excellent. Probably some of the best we've used. At the ticket booth, you also get a large foldout map, and a smaller booklet with the house number, a small thumbnail picture and a description. There is also a toilet near the ticket booth. Make sure you have a Euro to tip the man who will hand you a towel to dry your hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruiser Greg,

Take the local bus. The bus leaves from right by the ship. Walk up to the road and call at the news vendor. He will sell you the bus tickets (about 4 euros return pp) and show you where to catch the bus ( right by the news stand). Its about a 35min ride and the bus stops right outside the ruins. Catch the return bus accross the road from where you get off. Great experience and an awfull lot cheaper.

We will be coming from Sorrento to see the ruins. Anyone tell us if it is accessible by bus or train from Sorrento? Time or distance?

Thanks.

Sue

We took the train from Naples to Sorrento, then returned to Naples stopping at Herculeum. I don't think it took more than 30 minutes from Sorrento; the train station is on the top of the hill and you walk down to the archelogical site. Just be sure to get off at the Erculano Scavi// Herculeum station.

Archived