PG Day room and flight questions

moses0

We are on the PG Aug 22nd.

I have questions about disembarkation and flights out.

Our flight out of Papeete to Honolulu is not until 12:25 am.

What time do we have to disembark the ship?

Does anyone have recommendations for a day room? Cost?

How do we get from the ship to the day room? Cab?

Then to the airport. Do the hotels do shuttle buses?

How much time should we allow to get to the airport and check in.

Sorry for the dumb questions but this is our fist trip to FP and the PG

If you are doing the Regent Air/Sea package your day room is included. If you are doing air on your own you will have to make your own arrangements.

We stayed at the Intercontinental pre-cruise and I thought it was wonderful. They have a really nice property and several nice restaurants. The food is expensive but that is the case in FP for the most part.

I don't know the cost of a cab since our transfer to the ship was included with the air/sea arrangements.

There is a hotel thread going on right now that might have some useful info for you.

I know that several folks will tell you to make your own arrangements since they can be less expensive and I am usually that kind of person but with our trip I did everything through Regent. It wasn't painless but it was very much easier than trying to arrange everything on my own.

If I recall correctly cruise only guest have to depart the ship earlier than guests on air/sea.

Caroline

We also always do the Regent Air so we always had transfers and day room included. Since all the departures are late night the airport is sort of a mob scene. You may want to allow 2 hours for the airport checkin. Seems to me I saw somewheres that the cab fare is @$30 US. I didn't see hotel courtesy transport but I am not sure about that.

I think I read somewhere that you can purchase the disembarkation package, which includes late disembarkation, day-room, transfers, etc. Ask your TA about this. Cabs it is, normally. There are no hotel shuttles. If you purchase the package from Regent, and it includes transfers, it will be a small bus or large van.

I might suggest to you that while onboard you ask about getting a day room at the Radisson. They will take about two days to get back to you, so do it probably on Monday. We did this in May. Otherwise, you have to leave the ship no later than 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning. For the $290.00 we paid, we got to stay on the ship until 1:00 p.m, an air conditioned bus tour of Tahiti after leaving the ship, and then the bus dropped us off at at our day room at the Radisson. The bus service transported the patrons to the airport in time to catch the flights. The desk clerks will articulate what time pick up is.

There are no dumb questions. We were all known for probably not being the most knowledgeable people before we went.

The check-in time at the airport varies, but I recommend 3 hours. It's the worst part of the trip, but you have to grit your teeth. Long line-ups are common, especially since most international flights leave in the evening. Once you're in the departure lounge it's not so bad, although it can get pretty crowded back there too. The main problem is that there's little a/c in the airport, it's mostly at least semi open-air.

A note of caution--we were at the Radisson Plaza a couple years ago when we were on the PG and did our own transportation. We waited a very long time for a taxi to the airport to return home, a late evening flight, as well. We got there in time, but it was nerve-wracking. I am booking again for 2008 (a longer cruise) and after comparing costs, we have decided to do Regent air.

I saw this question, so thought I'd chime in. If you have a Platinum AMX card, which now costs $450 per year, you can book 2-for-1 First or Business Class Airfares, subject to availability. I have priced this quite often and most of the time the single fare on which this is based is extremely high. Thus, it has never paid for us, but most of the time we've been fortunate enough to use FF miles instead. On the other hand, sometimes at LAX or in PPT you can upgrade to Business Class in the last minute on ATN for around $700 per person (not sure of the exact upgrade charge now) if available. Obviously, there is very limited availability. We were unable to do this on our flights in February 2006.

Archived