A Lesson for NCL in Customer Service

On the recent thread about what we would do if we were President of NCL for a day, one of the top responses was to improve customer service and that included notifying customers of changes in cabin assignments and of itinerary changes.

We booked the Dawn in Sept. 2005 for a June 2006 cruise. When we booked it, the itinerary was Cape Canaveral, Miami, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau. Sometime in November, NCL changed the itinerary to Bermuda, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau and more sea days. In December, I heard of the itinerary change through THESES boards. Since I (or anyone else in our group, including one couple who booked directly through NCL) had not heard anything about the itinerary change, I was skeptical. Called our Travel Agent and she called NCL to find out, YES the itinerary had been changed. No one had been notified. It couldn't have been a case where the TA was not notified because the couple who booked direct through NCL didn't know either. NCL simply never bothered to tell the passengers. (probably out of fear of people cancelling.) We discussed it and decided to continue with our plans because we hadn't been on the then "flagship" of the NCL fleet and we hadn't been to Bermuda. (and the other cruises available that week on NCL and other lines didn't appeal to us and vacation time had already been requested.)

Next year, our large extended family group is booked on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas to Canada and New England. (one reason being NCL's cruise offerings next summer aren't appealing.).

I got a phone call this morning from our TA. RCCL had just informed her that they were changing the itinerary for our cruise and if any of her clients wished to cancel, they would understand. Here I was, all set for the news...no Canada & New England....BUT, the itinerary change was the exchange of ONE port! (from Newport R.I. to New London, Connecticut.) No other changes whatsoever in the itinerary! RCCL went to all the trouble to notify everyone and UNDERSTOOD if anyone wanted to cancel over one MINOR change!! NCL couldn't bother to notify their passengers of a MAJOR itinerary change last year??????

NCL, you really need to take a lesson on customer service from RCCL. I haven't even sailed on RCCL yet and their customer service already impresses me more than NCL.

I have to agree that they need tons of improvement in the area of Customer Service. The whole "call 3 times to make sure you are getting the correct answer" thing is rediculous.

Enjoy your next cruise! I have 4 days till my next one. As much as I have had my problems with NCL customer service, I still love the onboard experience! Hopefully that doesn't change!

I couldn't agree more with the OP. In addition to ridiculous wait times and myriad other problems (which could fill pages), one from this morning is telling.

In light of yesterday's tragedy, my wife called NCL this morning to inquire about cancelling an upcoming excursion we have in Alaska. The representative changed her position several times as to what the policy actually is, claimed that they were not allowed to disclose who NCL's vendor is for the excursion, and then claimed that there are no supervisors available.

Interestingly, the comment about the difference between the shore personnel and on-board personnel, for the most part is accurate.

I got a phone call this morning from our TA. RCCL had just informed her that they were changing the itinerary for our cruise and if any of her clients wished to cancel, they would understand. Here I was, all set for the news...no Canada & New England....BUT, the itinerary change was the exchange of ONE port! (from Newport R.I. to New London, Connecticut.) No other changes whatsoever in the itinerary! RCCL went to all the trouble to notify everyone and UNDERSTOOD if anyone wanted to cancel over one MINOR change!! NCL couldn't bother to notify their passengers of a MAJOR itinerary change last year??????

NCL, you really need to take a lesson on customer service from RCCL. I haven't even sailed on RCCL yet and their customer service already impresses me more than NCL.

RCCL hasn't always gone through all this "trouble" to notify passengers. I was on the RCCL 7/2005 when they rerouted the cruise from Bermuda to Canada. Yes, it was do a possible formation of a tropical storm, but they did not alert passengers to this change UNTIL they arrived at the piers. They did not even make any mention of it on their website of a possible change. Once there and passengers learned of the change the RCCL response was, "The ship is leaving with or without you and there will be no other options available to you....you've already paid for trip and you are receiving one, if you chose not to go you will not be refunded anything other than the difference in port charges (which was $45.00)" It wasn't til after that fiasco did several cruise lines change their attitude of "Tough Cookies" and give passengers the option of continuing with their cruise plans or get refund and try another day.

One other mention on the "reroute". There were four ships that I know of that were scheduled to go to Bermuda from the NE Region that same time. The other three went and they were all smaller ships.

Enjoy you trip with RCCL

Wonder when NCL will tell those passengers that have booked July 13-20 on the Dawn next year to Bermuda that the ship has been charted out to Rosie O'Donnell for a "family" cruise to New England/Canada? Oh, I'm sure they will get around to it, after kaching, kaching, enjoying interest on their deposits for as long as they can--like maybe until a week before final payment due (lol)

Tucker in Texas

I have my own NCL horror story (which started with me getting bumped off my cruise) and the postings here claim the same thing: NCL is fine if everything is going a planned, but as soon as an issue arrives you're doomed. The toll-free number is no help, the shoreside check-in breaks down, supervisors won't talk to you. It's terrible and the reason why it was 6 years between my first and 2 NCL cruise: carnival and rccl got my business instead. I cruise alot and I warn friends that you book NCL you take your chances. And they wonder why they have some of the lowest per diems of any cruise line: you're turning people off before they even step onboard NCL!

enough of the rant! Fortunately service onboard is compariable with most other mainstream, mid-market brands. I really liked my cruise on the Sun, but I really spent the whole pre-cruise waiting for the other shoe to drop (but everything went off without a hitch!)

It strikes me the NCL is very much a top-down organization, which is fine if you're running a ship, not-so-good on the booking side. I always get the feeling that the people you talk to have no power to do anything, that all decisions go up the corporate ladder until someone "of authority" takes control. I really feel for the frontline staff who always seem ill-informed, poorly trained and able to only let people yell with nothing they can do to help, likely all the while knowing that if they tranfer the issue to a higher-up it will be seen as a problem.

I do like the NCL product, but I'm leery to book them in case something goes wrong. If NCL continues this way they can build the biggest ships they want: until they get their shoreside act together they be seen as the poorer, entry-level 1/2 loved stepchild of the industry.

In light of yesterday's tragedy, my wife called NCL this morning to inquire about cancelling an upcoming excursion we have in Alaska.

I consider myself news savvy. What happened yesterday?

Keystone, don't be all excited about the change in itinerary... IMO, New London is nothing compared to Newport!! :rolleyes:

Seafeet, has a very valid point though... RCCL was much worse in their swap that year... I would be livid going to Canada instead of Bermuda without any prior warning. I understand 'weather' happens, but do they operate in the 'dark ages' without phones or e-mail ??!! Your packed wardrobe isn't even similar.

I followed that incident very well, too, because we cruised to Bermuda later that same year with Celebrity, and RCCL is the parent company. It could have happened to us too.

Oh, and in defense of NCL, when the Dawn was scheduled to arrive late into NY for our Feb. 2005 cruise, we received a phone call from our TA the night before and was able to delay our limo to the pier and they gave us a number to call the next morning to check the schedule again.

Wonder when NCL will tell those passengers that have booked July 13-20 on the Dawn next year to Bermuda that the ship has been charted out to Rosie O'Donnell for a "family" cruise to New England/Canada? Oh, I'm sure they will get around to it, after kaching, kaching, enjoying interest on their deposits for as long as they can--like maybe until a week before final payment due (lol)

Now Tucker, that's not how NCL operates.....they will wait until a week AFTER final payments are due to limit the options of those on board.....

Keystone, don't be all excited about the change in itinerary... IMO, New London is nothing compared to Newport!! :rolleyes:

Seafeet, has a very valid point though... RCCL was much worse in their swap that year... I would be livid going to Canada instead of Bermuda without any prior warning. I understand 'weather' happens, but do they operate in the 'dark ages' without phones or e-mail ??!! Your packed wardrobe isn't even similar.

Hey, Newport or New London....doesn't bother me. I have never been anywhere in New England before. I was just afraid that we were being re routed someplace like Bermuda or Nassau. Not the reasons I booked that cruise.

Perhaps RCCL LEARNED from their problems in 2005! Most companies make a mistake and then correct it. NCL doesn't seem to learn from mistakes and then they just compound their mistakes by making others or flat out lying.

As far as our TA not notifying us in 2005 about the Dawn: if it was just our group booked through her, that would be a possibility, but it wasnt just us. There was also someone on board who didn't know UNTIL they boarded that we weren't going to Miami and they weren't happy. (now part of that is on them....they should have found out when they checked over their cruise documents.....)

I have had so many problems with NCL over the years...but all have been corporate related....never have I had a major problem on the ships (except with the Photo Department on the Dawn which is a contracted company.) that wasn't corrected. Like I have said for a long time...if NCL corporate could just learn from their shipboard people about customer Service.

RCCL hasn't always gone through all this "trouble" to notify passengers. I was on the RCCL 7/2005 when they rerouted the cruise from Bermuda to Canada. Yes, it was do a possible formation of a tropical storm, but they did not alert passengers to this change UNTIL they arrived at the piers. They did not even make any mention of it on their website of a possible change.

Anytime once takes a cruise during hurricane season they take a chance of missed ports. I am not a cruiseline employee, but I know that keeping their passengers safe is important to them. Weather related changes are made at the very last minute based on their judgement. We were on a cruise when the captain decided it wasn't safe, due to a hurricane's path, to go to a certain port and it was a last minute decision.

I agree with Keystone that NCL corporate is the worst on customer/TA communication. I have learned of late arrival to ports and itinerary changes on NCL for my cruises only through this board, never through NCL!

Speaking of communication, I had filled out our registration forms online for our family for our two cabins (two different reservation numbers), but then needed to make a change. My daughter decided to finally change her maiden name to her married name- lol. The TA sent them the info and said it was done. But I couldn't pull up the reservation to check on the registration form. Called NCL and they couldn't figure it out. CSR put me on hold for 8 minutes (I guess hoping I would just hang up). Finally I tried variations of the spelling and figured out how they mis-spelled it. Then had to call my TA and tell them to call NCL to fix it. jeesh

This happens everywhere. HAL never notified me regarding my ship being chartered. I found out through a CC'er and these boards. I had already bought my airfare. When I contacted my TA she had no idea. When I called HAL, it took the rep over 15 minutes to confirm this. That is worse then an itinerary change , and when do you think they would have gotten around to contacting every customer???

I think HAL is the worst with chartering, after booking our Alaska cruise and reading the HAL boards. There were at least 4 large groups on our Alaska cruise. I felt relieved we werent bumped for the charters. Normally we book about a year in advance. We booked this one at the last minute, so this must have been a leftover cabin. It didnt interfere with the enjoyment once on board, thank goodness. Although I wouldve been mortified if it was a charter group that made me uncomfortable (ie nudists:eek: ). I had my son with me.

There used to be someone on their boards who kept track of the charters, but "retired" from doing it. They must have been worn out from keeping track.

I think HAL is the worst with chartering, after booking our Alaska cruise and reading the HAL boards.

Rosie O'Donnel and her RFamily group charter an NCL ship each year in the summer. They announced on this year's cruise when it was going to be next year. (I believe it is the Dawn in July). BUT, NCL is still selling the former cruise on that date and it still appears on their website. My question is WHY?? Why decieve people just to get thier money????

I agree KeystoneCruiser. This particular charter is worse than others because Rosie brings in her own entertainment to cater to her group. Other cruises I have been on with groups have not had this. The groups just had the same entertainment as the single reservation passengers. The groups took up particular venues at times, but that seemed to be during the day, not the evening.

It's defintely a business decision on the cruiselines' part to take on charters. The ships would probably run at a higher vacancy rate without the charters/groups. Maybe prices would be higher for the regular passenger. Seems like most charter's prices are higher than if you book them individually.

Interesting to read this thread this evening as I've been thinking about NCL and my experience with it's shoreside service off and on all day today. I'm considering composing a letter to HQ (politely) expressing my conclusions, which are as follows:

I've personally sailed NCL once (booked last minute through a TA). These boards had me expecting certain problems, and with a major mess-up embarking at Vancouver Place, we were grumpy when we boarded. The staff and crew of the Sun was so superb that we REALLY enjoyed our trip and left very satisfied. So much so in fact that we arranged and paid for another trip on her as a gift for my in-laws. This one I booked directly with NCL and I bet you can guess what happened.

Very close to the sail date I had an HORRENDOUS problem caused by one of the NCL phone reps; so bad that it put the entire trip in jeopardy. Again, once on board, the warm fuzzies carried the day. Willing to give credit where credit is due, I always mention the fine quality of NCL's on-board experience and have been willing to consider the line again for ourselves and recommend it to others under the right circumstances.

Today that changes - here's why. For our needs, RCCL has much more to offer on their ships than even the newest NCL builds. That said, boy did I love the Freestyle dining concept on NCL. Now that RCCL (and several other lines) are proposing a type of open seating, I will NEVER, EVER, consider or recommend NCL again, period, the end. This is totally due to the poor customer service I've experienced - it's simply not worth it now that I can get absolutely everything I like somewhere else.

I know lots of you will say that all cruise lines have CSR problems and that the same thing that happened to me with NCL could have happened with any other line. My point is THAT IT HASN'T. I can never forget the incident I went through (nor do I see any particular need to forgive) and many, many people have similar stories to tell. I believe strongly that NCL has succeeded largely IN SPITE OF THEMSELVES up until now. With other cruise lines elbowing in on the flexible dining and dress code action, many besides me may vote with their wallets.

Happy Sails,

Annette

No comparison...I'm intrigued that your focus is on the customer service lesson that NCL should learn, rather than being really annoyed that your itinerary has been, in my opinion, downgraded.

I've been to both towns...and there is simply no comparison between the two. There is nothing "wrong" with New London, but it is not Newport.

We are going to be taking our first cruise in September on NCL's Pearl. After reading this thread I'm a bit anxious about what might occur to ruin this trip before we leave. I booked a couple of weeks ago via a TA and the next morning was able to obtain the edocs and fill out the registration forms online.

Everything seems to be in order, however, now I'm very anxious about what I should do prior to departure to assure that all is going to be as planned. Since we live a considerable distance from Seattle, I don't want to fly there just to find out that we will be going to Mexico instead of Alaska or some similare nonsense. Any suggestions about what I should do to assure a stress free experience? Help! Thanks!

NCL during the summer months moves it ship in LA, the Star, to Alaska. So do not worry about your itinerary going to Mexico.

Unfortunately, no one can promise a glitch free holiday. Its best to roll with the punches, brush them away, and move on having a great vacation.

As far as an Alaskan cruise is concerned, there could be a port of call change, but since so many ships are up there with the other lines, the ports are full. These small towns don't have the financial clout to add much more.

The weather can go south anywhere. But Alaska does not have the hurricanes of the Caribbean.

And the ship's engines, thanks there are at least four aboard, can have problems. You never know when they will break down, causing the ship to go slower than normal, cutting shore time. Its highly iunusual for more than one engine to break down at once. Thus the cruise line will deliver a voyage.

So, all in all, you have done well. The only other suggestion is to buy the travel insurance, not so much for the ship, but for your health and flights.

Although I wouldve been mortified if it was a charter group that made me uncomfortable (ie nudists:eek: ). I had my son with me.

There used to be someone on their boards who kept track of the charters, but "retired" from doing it. They must have been worn out from keeping track.

No way anyone is going to find themselves on a chartered cruise, nudist or not, unless they booked the cruise through the charter company or their designated agency. Once a cruise is officially chartered, it ceases being promoted by the cruise line or travel agencies at large.

I agree KeystoneCruiser. This particular charter is worse than others because Rosie brings in her own entertainment to cater to her group. Other cruises I have been on with groups have not had this. The groups just had the same entertainment as the single reservation passengers. The groups took up particular venues at times, but that seemed to be during the day, not the evening.

It's defintely a business decision on the cruiselines' part to take on charters. The ships would probably run at a higher vacancy rate without the charters/groups. Maybe prices would be higher for the regular passenger. Seems like most charter's prices are higher than if you book them individually.

BINGO.

Without charters and large group sales, we would all be paying more to sail on any cruise line.

Rosie does not do group sails. She charters the entire ship and brings on her own top notch entertainment. No one is going to find themselves on a Rosie sail or any charter unless they booked the cruise through the charter company or designated agency.

We are going to be taking our first cruise in September on NCL's Pearl. After reading this thread I'm a bit anxious about what might occur to ruin this trip before we leave. I booked a couple of weeks ago via a TA and the next morning was able to obtain the edocs and fill out the registration forms online.

Everything seems to be in order, however, now I'm very anxious about what I should do prior to departure to assure that all is going to be as planned. Since we live a considerable distance from Seattle, I don't want to fly there just to find out that we will be going to Mexico instead of Alaska or some similare nonsense. Any suggestions about what I should do to assure a stress free experience? Help! Thanks!

You need perspective. NCL does about 700 +/- sails a year. A few of those sails will have a mechanical problem, weather issues and/or a change or port. The overwhelming number of sails will execute as planned. I think you are far more likely to incur a flight delay/cancellation than a change in cruise intinerary. Relax and enjoy looking forward to your cruise vacation. All will be well.

Archived